• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus we need to talk about the Persona 5 localization...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labrys

It's a bit disturbing seeing so many people play for 60 hours and not see any of these problems with the localization. I've stopped several times trying to decipher the meaning behind certain sentences because they're so off base or flat out have fake English

Yakisoba Pan. LOL, they got halfway through translating and then gave up when it came to 'bread'

I've been enjoying the game but I'm in the same boat, some lines make me have to stop and think for a second. The one about heavy rain was the one I remember the most, I couldn't fucking decipher what was trying to be said.

mdubs

Banned
Don't compare this to other anime and video games. Compare the quality of the text to something that was natively written in English. That seems to be the problem.
I'm not making the claim "I don't find this bad compared to anime and video games". I'm saying that I don't have the errors jump out at me while I'm playing.

It's fine if you're bothered by the game, I'm just sharing an anecdote that I'm not finding the errors glaring or a problem in the course of my playing.

Joeku

Given that website and whatnot, y'all need to let go.

Persona has now reached borderline mass popularity for video games in the West (at least as far as awareness goes), and I fucking dare anyone who has said "It all seems fine to me!" to pretend they haven't watched anime and/or played JRPGs for the last decade+ and are basing their stance on that. Many of the problems linger in Persona 5 because the game is incomplete insofar as localizations go, and y'all are saying it's okay because you've dealt with half-finished translations for a long time. That doesn't mean it's flatly okay, that means you have adjusted to things half-finished.

But check it: Fucking nobody in English ever says "I'll never forgive them!". They just straight up don't. Not translating that to something more palatable to English eyes and ears doesn't make the game less translated or somehow truer to the source language, it makes the context-less literal translations belabored and immersion-breaking. Every fucking time I see either "unforgivable" or "I won't forgive them", I get sucked out of whatever I'm looking at and think: "oh right, this was in Japanese". It adds nothing and can only subtract. For as cringey as "get rekt" and "I'm salty" are, they are fucking localized.

Also, for you saying "this is all overblown", tell us all how many JRPGs and anime you've watched in recent years. I'm pretty sure there's a direct correlation to how well you can tolerate that to how well you can tolerate this.

Edit: Also, as an addendum, don't think this makes me not enjoy the game. I (and others) just wish it could be better translated, and don't you dare suggest it can't be.

You know what? I'm just gonna stop reading this thread. I again have no problems with the translation. And yes Joeku I do think some of it is getting overblown.

But then again this isn't my kind of thing. So I'll just bow out.

Joeku

You know what? I'm just gonna stop reading this thread. I again have no problems with the translation. And yes Joeku I do think some of it is getting overblown.

But then again this isn't my kind of thing. So I'll just bow out.

If you do think it's overblown tell me how so? Because all that really says is either you care less about translation issues than I do, or rather, I care about things that you don't consider issues at all.

Either way it doesn't mean anything without more context so I'd love to explore it with you. Let's get into it. Can you give me specifics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom