• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart is 2023's most popular Xbox launch so far, first week data suggests

I think the vast majority of people who buy Gamepass feel they have "enough" games and wont buy games like Hogwarts but will still buy the COD, Fifa and stuff

Just my opinion here obviously

Well from my experience with gamepass my backlog is pretty full so I wait for sales on games that I want and are not on gamepass.

Once Hogwarts goes on sale I'm buying it instantly.

If I had a PS5 I would not have given Atomic Heart a shot and just would've dropped $100 CAD on Hogwarts.

acm2000

You people need to remember that TA is for the pretty hardcore gamers, it's literally a site for helping to 100% achievements.

Atomic heart fits much more into that category than Hogwarts ever will

I signed up may 2007 and sitting on 250,000 TA points

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Well from my experience with gamepass my backlog is pretty full so I wait for sales on games that I want and are not on gamepass.

If I had a PS5 I would not have given Atomic Heart a shot and just would've dropped $100 CAD on Hogwarts.
You just echoed what many of my friends say who are on Gamepass

cormack12

Gold Member
You people need to remember that TA is for the pretty hardcore gamers, it's literally a site for helping to 100% achievements.

Atomic heart fits much more into that category than Hogwarts ever will

I signed up may 2007 and sitting on 250,000 TA points

Yeah those signed up to TA are likely to take advantage of any game on gamepass. I don't think it can be used to build a narrative that encompasses the general userbase.

Still though, happy for mundfish like and those enjoying Atomic Heart

NickFire

Amazing to watch in real time how people have jumped to the illogical conclusion that HL isn’t selling well on Xbox.

Not to mention that discussing ‘splits’ for a day one Gamepass title is quite strange.
It's the weird article's fault for the first thing. It should come with a giant disclaimer that all of the "data" is based on a million people who apparently (if I understand correctly) let the website track their achievements. Without making that info nugget loud and clear, it's easy to wonder how they claim that the most popular game of 2023 is something other than Hogwarts.

The second thing we agree on completely. Average revenue for each platform, by dividing each platform's total revenue by the respective install bases would perk my ears though.

Last edited:
No offense, but some of you need help interpreting data. None of the games mentioned would have been a flop by these metrics. Quite the opposite. You can extrapolate very high sales with the info that was given.

SALMORE

Am three hours in on my XOX ! the game is very good 😁 i can't complain about the performance because I am poor

anothertech

Atomic heart is amazing. Glad it's doing great.

The numbers shared in the op are a clusterfuck and meaningless tho. Confusing the hell out of everyone in the thread lol.

Nydius

Yes you heard the wise man correctly.

Instead of regurgitating ancient news, why not post a more recent, and more accurate one?

Because it dispels Phil Spencer's bullshit, no doubt, and you can't have that!

In Microsoft’s self-report, it admitted that putting a game on the Game Pass subscription service results in a measurable decline in that game’s retail sales.

That’s not exactly rocket science. But it is a big admission from Microsoft, which has spent the last few years restructuring both its Xbox and PC gaming strategy to emphasize monthly subscriptions to Game Pass over pure software and hardware sales. As GamesIndustryBiz reports Xbox boss Phil Spencer claimed in 2018 that a game being on Game Pass would lead to more retail sales, not fewer.

(Feb. 14, 2023 article: https://www.pcworld.com/article/151...-pass-can-cannibalize-regular-game-sales.html)

quest

Not Banned from OT
Because the sample is from a specific demographic those who play and purchase games around achievements. It be like using those cheap playstation games that existed for earning an easy platinum as purchasing habits of the average gamer.

yazenov

Instead of regurgitating ancient news, why not post a more recent, and more accurate one?

Because it dispels Phil Spencer's bullshit, no doubt, and you can't have that!

shhhhhhhhhhhh. We were trying to call Phil's bluff. You know, use your opposition's argument against them.

Everyone and their mother knows he was full of shit.

Last edited:

Flabagast

I bought both on PS5 and Atomic Heart is clearly the better and more original game

I heard there was two major patches for atomic heart. I usually don't play any games day 1 for this reason unless I'm REALLY interested in it. Did the patches improve performance?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
960x0.jpg

Atomic Heart launched into Xbox Game Pass last week, and according to first week player data, it's 2023's most popular new Xbox release to date, surpassing the likes of Hogwarts Legacy and fellow Game Pass heavy hitters such as GoldenEye 007 and Hi-Fi Rush.

Here on TrueAchievements, which now has a healthy sample pool of over one million registered and tracked players, the first week numbers show Atomic Heart sitting pretty with almost 120,000 people having stepped into the boots of P-3 to go take on some out-of-control robots. That's around 20k more than Hogwarts Legacy picked up in its first full week (and that even had the benefit of a few extra days of early access players prior to its official launch date), and well ahead of GoldenEye and Hi-Fi Rush, both of which had around 70,000 tracked players in their first week.

Late last year, High on Life quickly became the most successful third-party Game Pass launch ever, and while Atomic Heart isn't exactly close to the 160k week-one TA players that Squanch Games' comedy shooter picked up, it's still well ahead of every other big Game Pass drop of 2022. Last year's top Game Pass launches (aside from High on Life) came in tens of thousands lower than Atomic Heart in their first week, meaning Mundfish's newcomer has trounced the likes of PowerWash Simulator, Deathloop, A Plague Tale: Requiem, Tunic, Scorn, and the rest. Not bad for the studio's first game, huh?

So they are really going with this number of active players rather than sales measure of success. I guess it makes sense in this context. If all these players picked it up on Gamepass and then it sold decent on PS5 and PC then yea, I'd call it a success too.

It's a good game. There's some jank to it, but overall you can tell it was well thought out. The puzzles are engaging and somewhat enraging because of the lack of clues. However once you solve them it's much more rewarding.

There's some questionable design decisions...

Like why can't I have a sprint button?
Why is everything so got damn bright?
How do they expect me to handle this many enemies this early in the game (telelkinesis is your friend, i found out)?
Why do you give me laser protection to go through laser barriers and when I come to another laser barrier, I can't simply walk through it and take the damage?
Why is there no description of the items in my inventory screen...like I gotta go to a whole other part of the menu to see what something does? Why does my character have full on philosophical conversations with his hand while fighting hordes of enemies...I can't pay attention to this shit.
You implement stealth mechanics in the game that are unusable because the crouch walking speed is too slow? Srsly?
Can I breathe while swimming in the polymer? And is someone gonna explain why I can hear voices while I'm swimming in it? Is that weed in the polymer? Am I high?
How come if I'm driving in a car that's on fire, it kills me before my health runs out? I mean did it explode and I just missed the show?
Are the employees mentioned in the computers just pictures of the developers mixed in with some random Russian looking dudes and some cats? And why is there a building where the only purpose is showcasing these same photos? DId you think I wasn't gonna read any of the emails? I've played Fallout before, thanks.

Sorry rant over.

Did you guys do the whole "talking to dead people" thing because it saved you from having to make more body and facial animations in real time? Is that why the ballerina robots have no faces?

Last edited:
GAF cannot have any threads with positive Xbox news before the usual suspects fuck the thread over and steer it right off course with misinformation. It's trolling at this point and like clockwork. Y'all get paid by the post?

Atomic Heart is an amazing first entry for Mundfish, deserves all the praise it gets. It's not without issues or jank but overall the production quality and enjoyment with this title is super welcome. Please more devs give this level of passion in the output of their projects. The art is super interesting and well crafted too.

Last edited:

Sw0pDiller

Atomic Heart splits in the UK (boxed sales)

PS5 87% , Xbox: 13%

The low sales of Xbox may even be working in some kind of advantage for MS. They don't have to pay a really big amount of money for a game to launch on GP because there were not many potential sales on xbox to begin with. That's some kind of downward spiral for devs. Even when Xbox and GP would sell like hotcakes. Ms could still have the argument that games won't sell on Xbox because everybody holds out on buying games because they all launch on GP. So launch on GP and get some kind of income or no sales.

Js562

That's good I'm enjoying it so far. Good stuff for their first game. Why people complaining lol let them be successful on Xbox

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I find it a bad game. I got out of the underground and it got even worse.
Mess of mechanics, strange combat choices, upgrade and loot everything... it's just janky. They threw every idea at this game. The worst one is constant talking. all the time
And no HDR....

Last edited:

MacReady13

Why are we sharing hours played numbers and not sales? Who cares how many hours people have put into this game when it's on a sub service? It's effectively free if you're a subscriber so what are you meant to do?

But this also indicates another important trend.

Games, that are on Game Pass, sell less. MS has confirmed this. But this indicates that because of Game Pass (Atomic Heart), games that are not on Game Pass (Hogwart's Legacy) may also sell less.

Hogwart's Legacy is one of the biggest games of 2023. It's even bigger than Elden Ring was in 2022 (!). If that game (based on a world-renowed IP) is not selling on Xbox, what game would?
Do you have any proof of your claims? Elden Ring is pretty old now. Can you show how Game pass prevented it from selling on Xbox or any other title that is NOT on the service. When I last checked Elden Ring was one of the top selling titles on Xbox.

• 30% of the total Elden Rings sales were for the Xbox.
This is despite Game pass' existence.

Game pass will obviously reduce the number of retail sales for games that are in the service because you give customers an alternative way to access the games. There is no evidence that gamers will refuse to buy a game when they have no such alternative especially big name games like Elden Ring. Regardless MS still makes money whether you buy a game at retail or subscribe to Game pass.
Amazing to watch in real time how people have jumped to the illogical conclusion that HL isn’t selling well on Xbox.
Almost every Xbox story now turns into a feeding frenzy of negativity even when it's completely unfounded. I'd expect more predictions of MS leaving video games soon.

Do you have any proof of your claims? Elden Ring is pretty old now. Can you show how Game pass prevented it from selling on Xbox or any other title that is NOT on the service. When I last checked Elden Ring was one of the top selling titles on Xbox.

Game pass will obviously reduce the number of retail sales for games that are in the service because you give customers an alternative way to access the games. There is no evidence that gamers will refuse to buy a game when they have no such alternative especially big name games like Elden Ring. Regardless MS still makes money whether you buy a game at retail or subscribe to Game pass.

Almost every Xbox story now turns into a feeding frenzy of negativity even when it's completely unfounded. I'd expect more predictions of MS leaving video games soon.

Don't bother, they don't go into the whole equation of Gamepass. It's cherry picking something specific to create a narrative for their point e.g. physical sales for Sony vs discless Series S or less sales up front for the 1 in 20 their case is for. There is more to the equation than applying a Sony/Nintendo up front sales metric e.g. what of the boost to MTX/passes/DLC or post launch revitalisation of discount sales or subs etc.

The facts are:
  • Gamepass is profitable
  • more developers are approaching Gamepass than they can curate deals with and effective game releases
  • more content and versions/platforms or expansions are enable by Indies/smaller devs partnering with Gamepass
  • more engagement equals increases in content played
  • more greenlights for more diverse titles
  • more repeat developments/games for first game launch devs/studios on Gamepass
  • less marketing costs for game/devs

Last edited:

Thread was going so well, why did you have to come to ask for proofs and show actual data for Elden Ring? ....

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Don't bother, they don't go into the whole equation of Gamepass. It's cherry picking something specific to create a narrative for their point e.g. physical sales for Sony vs discless Series S or less sales up front for the 1 in 20 their case is for. There is more to the equation than applying a Sony/Nintendo up front sales metric e.g. what of the boost to MTX/passes/DLC or post launch revitalisation of discount sales or subs etc.

The facts are:
  • Gamepass is profitable
  • more developers are approaching Gamepass than they can curate deals with and effective game releases
  • more content and versions/platforms or expansions are enable by Indies/smaller devs partnering with Gamepass
  • more engagement equals increases in content played
  • more greenlights for more diverse titles
  • more repeat developments/games for first game launch devs/studios on Gamepass
  • less marketing costs for game/devs
no its not. your argument is full of personal assumptions.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Atomic Heart splits in the UK (boxed sales)

PS5 87% , Xbox: 13%

Ah yes, the effervescent boxed sales split again :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom