• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atooi's debut 3DS game (Jools Watsham): Chicken Wiggle (platformer/level creation)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tformer_and_level_creation_tool_coming_to_3ds

5G2Wu4v.jpg

*It's also coming to iOS.

Trailer:

https://youtu.be/sVHf_MkiDJE

Yes, Jools just went fucking Banjo-Kazooie on us LOL!!!

PR:

Atooi announced today that the creative minds behind Mutant Mudds and Xeodrifter are developing a new platformer experience called Chicken Wiggle – coming to the Nintendo 3DS eShop and the App Store soon.

The stars of Chicken Wiggle are an improbable duo: a young chicken and his best buddy – a wiggly worm – nestled in his backpack! Together, they team up for adventure to jump, peck, and worm-grapple across a myriad of perplexing platforming levels – full of fun gadgets, tricky hazards, and sneaky foes – determined to rescue their friends from the wicked witch in her sky towers.

Create & Share Your Own Levels!

But wait, there's more! Aspiring game designers and playful doodlers alike can spend hours of fun hatching their own levels with the user-friendly level creator included with the game. You can even choose different gameplay rules, art themes, and provide custom hints, tips, and search tags. Once you're ready, it's easy to share your creations on-line with other Chicken Wiggle players via the community portal. Now, anyone can be a game designer on the go!

Players seeking more levels to play after completing Chicken Wiggle's main story mode will find a wealth of unique levels to download, play, and rate for free! Level categories include Atooi official, popular, latest, or simply enter your own search tags or a specific level ID to locate a friend's level.

Hopefully this game has a bit more meat on its bones than Xenodrifer and Mutant Mudds. I'd drop $30 on a physical version of a game like this if it just has enough content.

Thankfully, level design tools should alleviate that a bit.

Intel_89

Hopefully this game has a bit more meat on its bones than Xenodrifer and Mutant Mudds. I'd drop $30 on a physical version of a game like this if it just has enough content.

Thankfully, level design tools should alleviate that a bit.

Mutant Mudds was quite meaty after the updates, well, as meaty as a 2D platformer can get anyway. But I do agree with you regarding Xeodrifter.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

watershed

Banned
Somewhat interested. I'll keep my eye on it. Really depends on how the running and jumping feels. The controls need to be responsive and the jump has to have a satisfying arc to it.

maxcriden

Interview:

There are three key elements to Chicken Wiggle, which are immediately presented to the player when the game is started: Play, Create, and Share.

Play: This is the main story mode where you learn about the villain, their dastardly deed, and what your goal is. There are over 60 levels in this mode, which introduce you to a vast variety of interactive gadgets, hazards, and enemies. All of which are available to the player in Create mode.

Create: When you're in the mood to create something, this mode provides access to all of the various game elements for you to create your own levels. There are 60 empty level slots for you to fill with your own creations. In addition to placing platforms and utilizing the dozens of unique gameplay elements, you can also choose between various gameplay rules, and art themes for your creations.

Share: Once you're ready to share your creation with the world, the Share mode takes you to the Chicken Wiggle community portal. This is a pretty robust system that enables you browse through all of the custom levels that players have uploaded to the server by filtering through various search criteria, such as popular, latest, official Atooi levels, search tags, and so on. Each level is visually presented in a list that provides a cropped snapshot of the level, the author's name, number of downloads, favorites, etc. Once you see a level that interests you, simply tap the Play button to immediately jump in. If you want to keep that level on your device, you can download it and also edit it yourself.

I made every level in the game with the built-in level editor provided with the game, and I really enjoy the process.

Uploading your own levels is easy too. The only criteria is: you must be able to complete your own level. Once you have met that criteria, you can publish your game by uploading it to the server for other players to play and enjoy. You can name your level, add a longer description or hint line of text and define the search tags for your level.

More:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...e_about_atooi_chicken_wiggle_and_future_plans

watershed

Banned
Her'es 30 minutes of off-screen footage from PAX, including footage of the level editor. Looks promising! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAnRsj4DRRM

Ya know, I'm actually impressed by this game so far. The title could be better, I don't like the reused assets from Mutant Mudds, and the jump doesn't look so hot. But the worm grapple mechanic looks fresh and fun and speeds up the pace of the platforming. Otherwise, the game looks a little too slow. And the level editor seems really solid.

Top Bottom