• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan Season 3 |OT| Part 2 now airing!

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
First ep is out :goog_geek:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/attack-on-titan/episode-38-smoke-signal-775810

A23V4hg.jpg

Standard rules apply:

-No manga talk; post a manga thread or use an existing one if you'd like to talk about the manga

-Spoiler tag unaired material or previews and clearly label as such outside of the tags so that people know what they are or aren't clicking on

-No spoiler tags necessary for aired episodes, but be courteous to other gaffers, e.g. a quick (episode 38) at the front of your post if you're posting reactions to episode 38 can help people figure out what to steer clear of or what to read if they're following the thread as they're catching up

-ERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRENNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Michele

you.
Fuck yeah. Going to be a great season! KENNY!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, it's going to be very great, but can you please do a favor and not use that swear word? I'm not minimodding you, but I'm just teaching the education. Maybe something like 'Oh yeah'?

bigedole

The OP was super awkward but the episode was lit. I have actually never in my 10 years of watching anime followed a show week to week. I've always just waited for the season to be over and then just watched the shows I was interested in/were liked or whatever. This will be the first time I actually watch the show every week because it's become like GoT now, if I don't watch every week I am certain to get spoiled lol.

The scene with Armin and Jean captured in the warehouse was hilarious, especially Mikasa's reaction. I have read that this arc was the slowest in the manga, but that the author regrets the way it was presented so hopefully it'll be lit!

oagboghi2

Apparently the OP makes way more sense towards the end of the season. I do miss the enrgy the previous OPs had though.

Glad to have AoT back. Besides Megablox there really isn't anything I watch consistently like this.

Ulysses 31

I'll wait for the entire season too, don't want no censored eps like with season 1!
Still need to see season 2. >.>

shira

Crazy episode. Tonnes of action.

Torture, murder, double crosses, standoffs.

Can't wait for next week.

bigedole

Awesome episode!! I am so hyped for this season lol. Was this the first time that Levi was referred to as
Levi Ackermann
? I know I heard Kenny say it...

Last edited:

A.Romero

I wasn't a very big fan before. I watched the previous seasons when they were done but the end of the second season was so good my hype increased. I'm now watching the 3rd season as they come out and the episodes keep getting better and better.

Amazing animation and story. Great series.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
On today's episode of Captain Levi: Extreme Grief Counselor

"I....killed someone..." :messenger_hushed::messenger_fearful:

"ACCEPT IT" :messenger_expressionless:

KevinKeene

Banned
Can't say I like the focus shift from titans to ... human criminals. Makes no sense to me to see so many highly skilled fighters kill other humans instead of helping in the battle against titans. And ... did abyone have hand guns in s1 or s2? Must have missed that ;/

And the opening, omg.

Animation is superb though, and 24 episodes has me hopeful we'll get some real plot development.

bigedole

Can't say I like the focus shift from titans to ... human criminals. Makes no sense to me to see so many highly skilled fighters kill other humans instead of helping in the battle against titans. And ... did abyone have hand guns in s1 or s2? Must have missed that ;/

And the opening, omg.

Animation is superb though, and 24 episodes has me hopeful we'll get some real plot development.

It's like zombie survival shows, eventually the mindless horde threat isn't enough and the real battle becomes against opposing factions of humans. I think it's still all ultimately going to tie into the mystery behind what a titan is though, clearly since Historia was important to the wall priest people her family has something to do with the titans in the wall. As far as hand guns, considering they were using cannons I think it's safe to assume they were there just pointless when you're only fighting titans.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

And the opening, omg.

S01E8 establishes that the Military Police keep caches of small arms available. The boxes had a layer of dust on them, suggesting that they're not generally needed.

manfestival

I have read the manga up until maybe 2 months ago and took a very short "break" however at 24 episodes I am pretty confident at where they will go with this. No spoilers of course but things get insane and then something happens and thats about all I can say to avoid any ban hammers.

DESTROYA

I have read the manga up until maybe 2 months ago and took a very short "break" however at 24 episodes I am pretty confident at where they will go with this. No spoilers of course but things get insane and then something happens and thats about all I can say to avoid any ban hammers.
Is the Manga much further ahead than the anime?
I’ve wanted to pick it up but no time for more stuff right now.

manfestival

Is the Manga much further ahead than the anime?
I’ve wanted to pick it up but no time for more stuff right now.
Yeah technically this whole thing needs to be resolved that is going on... then the next major plot point which will take a big chunk of story... then the plot point after that well.. eh that is when things are funky.

we got 24 episodes and a lot can happen or a lot can also not happen kinda like the first season. Half the season was stuck in 2 battles it felt like. Within reason of course.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Just saw this weeks episode. Pretty good, a lot of development which is nice to see. It's inncredible to see how far this show has come from being about giant naked monsters

Also Erwin is a badass. I hope he lives to see his father theory validated

bigedole

Guess they can't have insane action sequences in every episode. It's tough watching this week to week lol. So the boogeyman is "Who's gonna eat Eren?!" but I'm more wondering "Who did Eren eat?!" and when haha. Doesn't seem like it was one of Annie/Bert/Reiner's group.

oagboghi2

I liked this week's episode. Feel's like the 2 returning characters were just added to be titan fodder in the future, but besides that it's cool to see the peices fall into place.

On a side note, the new OP has really grown on me. I find myself singing the song randomly throughout the week

shira

I liked this week's episode. Feel's like the 2 returning characters were just added to be titan fodder in the future, but besides that it's cool to see the peices fall into place.

On a side note, the new OP has really grown on me. I find myself singing the song randomly throughout the week
The OP is changing, they are adding more particles every episode

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Anyone know how much of the manga the new season will cover? I'm at chapter 90 of the manga now and holy shit... Doubt the new season will go that far, right?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
World-building is great and all, but I'm glad this political mini-arc seems to be wrapping. Looks like fun times ahead though.

Dam you guys didn't like the OP?? That Piano is so soothing... It's the same feeling I bet you'd get flying through the air with the omni-directional mobility gear if you weren't being chased by Titans trying to eat you.

Also lol

Recent episode was okay. I really want to get some more insights into what the Titans are though, and the guys who actually knew something just got pushed out the room :/

bigedole

World-building is great and all, but I'm glad this political mini-arc seems to be wrapping. Looks like fun times ahead though.

I thought it was a pretty great episode for having literally 0 action. I know people have been wondering how they'd adapt this arc, I think it has been done pretty well so far.

oagboghi2

Erens dad was a titan, who killed Hisotrias family and ate her sister, who was also a titan. Then later on Eren ate his dad, and he gained his powers.

Here is what I don't get. Isn't Eren father alive? I thought he left home the day before the armored titan attacked, promising to show Eren what was in the basement or whatever.

Last edited:

royox

It was so damn long, dense and boring in the manga I'm surprised how well they dealt with it in the anime. Just straight to the point and done

Dacon

Banned

And the opening, omg.

You're not going to like the direction the anime is going to go into then, the series becomes more involved in politics and human drama the further the series gets. The titans become more and more background noise, and the horror themes kind of start to completely recede.

Last edited:
You're not going to like the direction the anime is going to go into then, the series becomes more involved in politics and human drama the further the series gets. The titans become more and more background noise, and the horror themes kind of start to completely recede.

Yep, it shifts from the Titans feeling like cosmic horrors to a political/military game. Plus a look at the diverse casualties of war (physical, mental, psychological) and the flaws inherent in all the characters. I like it because I like having shades of grey in the stuff I read and watch, but I understand that may not be the case for others.

GkjnIhe.png

Neat...

Yeah the politics wasn't the direction I was expecting the series to go in. But I guess it makes sense, the world always did seem well thought out and dense. I've been more interested in the outside world than the inside one, but i'm sure it's baby steps. Either way there is at least some semblance of answers, to some extent, that I don't feel like i'm watching Lost.

Dacon

Banned
Yep, it shifts from the Titans feeling like cosmic horrors to a political/military game. Plus a look at the diverse casualties of war (physical, mental, psychological) and the flaws inherent in all the characters. I like it because I like having shades of grey in the stuff I read and watch, but I understand that may not be the case for others.

It's probably getting more blowback because it's just not what people were attracted to the franchise by. The desperate battle to survive against a horrific force that's somehow recognizably human in a disturbing manner was the big draw of the series. That losing focus in the series can definitely turn off a lot of people.

llien

Wait a sec, OP links to the actual episode? Wow. How does that work from... legal perspective?

PS
Meh at the song.

Wait a sec, OP links to the actual episode? Wow. How does that work from... legal perspective?

PS
Meh at the song.
I'm pretty sure you can watch every episode other than the newest one, probably in a lower quality stream if I remember right, with some ads occasionally. I think Crunchyroll is just a little different from Netflix in that regard.

There should be a lot of stuff on there that can be watched for free.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
All of this political stuff is in the Manga, so they kind of need to hit on it. I don't really understand why that would upset anyone... the payoff is coming.

bigedole

Man, so much information this episode... so we don't know why Eren's dad did what he did. Is it possible that was the purpose of his trip into the center area before the titan attack? Did he know the titans were going to attack?? How did he become a titan????

Apparently the Reiss family has/had the ability to alter memories, presumably the person Eren's dad ate was the source of that power as they showed her modifying Historia's memories. I guess the Reiss family was passing the power down through their family? So does Eren have the power to alter memories now?

Then what about the whole Levi, Kenny, Mikasa thing? We found out a few episodes ago Levi was an Ackermann, and now we know Kenny is too. Are they all related?

As far as the narrative focus shifting the threat from titans to human political stuff, this is pretty common in horror. Hopefully they do it better than Walking Dead. Get the feeling Levi's group has to lose at least one or two people in the showdown with Kenny's squad... bye bye Jean, Connie or Sasha? :p Unless Erwin gets there with all his fodder in tow before the fighting starts I guess...

Man, so much information this episode... so we don't know why Eren's dad did what he did. Is it possible that was the purpose of his trip into the center area before the titan attack? Did he know the titans were going to attack?? How did he become a titan????

Apparently the Reiss family has/had the ability to alter memories, presumably the person Eren's dad ate was the source of that power as they showed her modifying Historia's memories. I guess the Reiss family was passing the power down through their family? So does Eren have the power to alter memories now?

Then what about the whole Levi, Kenny, Mikasa thing? We found out a few episodes ago Levi was an Ackermann, and now we know Kenny is too. Are they all related?

As far as the narrative focus shifting the threat from titans to human political stuff, this is pretty common in horror. Hopefully they do it better than Walking Dead. Get the feeling Levi's group has to lose at least one or two people in the showdown with Kenny's squad... bye bye Jean, Connie or Sasha? :p Unless Erwin gets there with all his fodder in tow before the fighting starts I guess...

If you don't mind spoilers, I can explain a lot of it because it's been explained in the manga.

Top Bottom