• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) manga thread of TOTAL SPOILER PANDEMONIUM

Does Mikasa ever get any real character development? My anime-only friend asked me that yesterday and I said I wouldn't answer that, but thinking about it, I can't really remember if she does or not.

No. She was a developed character since the beginning, we saw in a flashback why she became such badass and that's it. Don't expect any more development until the very last chapter because there is nothing else to add to her. Mikasa is Mikasa

Eusis

Don't remember the exact chapter, but isn't that our Eren mixing up his memories?
It's that or we got some weird cross time psychic communication stuff going on with Titan powers. Given Grisha's response this seems like the case short of a very vivid imagination when reliving Kruger's memories.

DarkKyo

It came out of Kruger's mouth. This series is bonkers enough that we can't draw that conclusion.

Maybe the Curse of Ymir exists because the shifters end up becoming too adept at picking up both past and future paths/memories of others in the same shifter line. The natural cap of 13 years of post-shifter life is the universe, or perhaps whatever Ymir Fritz actually found that made her the progenitor titan, preventing the shifters from flat out seeing the future and violating causality. Kruger saw "memories," or visions, of Mikasa and Armin close to his time being up, illustrating the punctual cap/limit that is the Curse of Ymir.

I dunno, just throwing a weird idea out there. I bet the actual explanation is even crazier.

Ogodei

Maybe the Curse of Ymir exists because the shifters end up becoming too adept at picking up both past and future paths/memories of others in the same shifter line. The natural cap of 13 years of post-shifter life is the universe, or perhaps whatever Ymir Fritz actually found that made her the progenitor titan, preventing the shifters from flat out seeing the future and violating causality. Kruger saw "memories," or visions, of Mikasa and Armin close to his time being up, illustrating the punctual cap/limit that is the Curse of Ymir.

I dunno, just throwing a weird idea out there. I bet the actual explanation is even crazier.

Man this manga gets weirder by the issue.

Looks like we're getting changes from the manga.

They've cut out the conversation between Bertholtd and Reiner about their companion and revealing details (marco and Ymir's history) sooner.

Looks like we're getting changes from the manga.

They've cut out the conversation between Bertholtd and Reiner about their companion and revealing details (marco and Ymir's history) sooner.

That Marco scene shouldn't really mean anything to anime viewers aside from Reiner was legitimately shook by Marco's death (which he shouldn't be, as a warrior and all). I'd be shocked if they revealed the truth behind his death so soon.

kirblar

That Marco scene shouldn't really mean anything to anime viewers aside from Reiner was legitimately shook by Marco's death (which he shouldn't be, as a warrior and all). I'd be shocked if they revealed the truth behind his death so soon.
Yeah, they'll just let it hang a while and reveal it at the same time they did in the Manga.

Makes me think they've actually planned that future sequence already to make sure they had the voice actors for Annie/Marco/etc available and could do their lines now rather than having to risk any issues later.

Erigu

They've cut out the conversation between Bertholtd and Reiner about their companion
I have to believe they're keeping that for next week, but man... They actually added two completely unnecessary (at best, and a bit idiotic at worst) scenes, too.

and revealing details (marco and Ymir's history) sooner.
Between that and the ending credits, I find them a bit too eager to drop "hints" here and there. Reminds me of manga readers in the anime topic, heh.

Makes me think they've actually planned that future sequence already to make sure they had the voice actors for Annie/Marco/etc available and could do their lines now rather than having to risk any issues later.
Too late for Hannes...

My memory of the manga might be fooling me here.

But doesn't Ymir warn Eren that the world is their enemy around this point?

I feel they will omit the Reiner Bertholdt scene with regards to their companion. The way the episode ended makes it seem they'll go right into the retreat.

Hyped for the scene where it all goes to shit, prior to eren discovering his coordinate powers. Those manga panels were fucking exceptional and terrifying. Wonder if they'll do a Hannes flashback as a gutwrencher at the end of the episode too - the final panel of the chapter in the manga still sticks with me.

I feel the last two episodes could have been condensed into a episode and a half. Though I'm sure the studio did so to allow themselves to go all out for the next few episodes - shit gonna go crazy.

Erigu

doesn't Ymir warn Eren that the world is their enemy around this point?
She was about to, but Reiner cut her before she could finish her sentence.

I feel they will omit the Reiner Bertholdt scene with regards to their companion. The way the episode ended makes it seem they'll go right into the retreat.
It would be a pretty big thing to omit (that, and Bertolt's feelings for Annie), but yeah, it's kinda hard to imagine them talking about all that knowing their pursuers are fairly close... Once again, some questionable changes.

decided to just go ahead and read the manga....boy that escalated

so the titans outside the wall are all wiped out just like that huh.....ok then.......

I don't know I always assumed the reveal in the basement was that there was gonna some outside civilization but I kinda preferred when everything was smaller and more intimate, more focused on the horror of giant zombies.

kewlmyc

Seems like the anime is showing bits of Marley with the Ymir flashbacks in the recent episode. Interesting direction they taking the adaption.

Sotha_Sil

Seems like the anime is showing bits of Marley with the Ymir flashbacks in the recent episode. Interesting direction they taking the adaption.

Yeah. I wonder how many people pick up on those soldiers being dressed differently. The scene of her being chucked off the wall is a big spoiler too... people in the show thread are already asking questions about the transformation punishment. I feel like that wasn't shown in the manga until the Nite Owl flashback.

kirblar

I haven't even seen the ep and I can tell that it's way more spoilery than the Manga was at this point by the way people are reacting.

Holy shit the anime team really dropped the ball, the basement is still ages away and it's been robbed of its impact now.
Watched the episode with my brother (who's anime only) and he's already lined up a lot of the future pieces after today...

kirblar

Holy shit the anime team really dropped the ball, the basement is still ages away and it's been robbed of its impact now.
Watched the episode with my brother (who's anime only) and he's already lined up a lot of the future pieces after today...
I bet they're totally doing it because of the delays to lessen accidental spoiler impacts.

There is no way they didn't include that stuff in there without first okaying it with Isayama. Honestly leaving more of a breadcrumb trail to the basement reveals is probably a better way to go. People tend to like mystery reveals more if there are hints about it along the way.

kirblar

There is no way they didn't include that stuff in there without first okaying it with Isayama. Honestly leaving more of a breadcrumb trail to the basement reveals is probably a better way to go. People tend to like mystery reveals more if there are hints about it along the way.
It does hurt the later Erwin "I just wanted to see the basement..." line that reveals Isayama was deliberately trolling w/ the Basement stuff in order to get the audience into his shoes.

Which is one of the most incredible examples of audience manipulation I've ever seen.

I disagree here. These are Ymir's last episodes in the story, and think it's nice of them to beef them up a bit with a flashback revealing more of her backstory.

I read through those chapters pretty quickly the first time, but honestly there are lots of little details littered throughout here that are obvious when you know where the story's going but mean pretty much nothing to a first time reader.

Look how many people think nothing of Ymir calling the beast Titan a "monkey." Even though the world they live in doesn't seem to have any.

Plus the main impact of the basement reveal stems from how advanced and expansive the world beyond the walls is. It should be fairly obvious to anyone paying attention that Annie, Bertholt, Reiner, and Ymir come from lands beyond the walls. Even the blink and miss shot of the serum in Ymir's flashback doesn't mean much, as Grisha injected Eren with one in Eren's flashback from episode 2.

Zoe

Most shows tend to be pretty lose with manga spoilers. There are more manga readers than anime viewers anyway.

Erigu

I disagree here. These are Ymir's last episodes in the story, and think it's nice of them to beef them up a bit with a flashback revealing more of her backstory.
And when time comes to adapt Ymir's final letter to Historia, it will all be redundant and fall completely flat.
But clearly, they don't mind being redundant, seeing how they managed to cut some parts of the manga and add some filler about Conny's village instead. Yes, we really needed to hear why the situation was odd for the third time. Hey, did you notice the horses were still there?
Fucking hell.

Look how many people think nothing of Ymir calling the beast Titan a "monkey." Even though the world they live in doesn't seem to have any.
Then again, the English translator dropped the ball several times, last week.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What the fuck, that episode was nuts. I never expected them to show all of that this soon, I honestly never thought I'd see that animated with how long it takes them to release new seasons.

[edit]

I think they really fucked up showing this, though.
MMiXJai.png

Wouldn't that completely ruin the basement reveal? Like, just show the flashback and because it was 60 years ago, people would assume it's inside the walls and the uniforms are just different because they're old. That image tells them that civilizations exist outside the wall.

12eb119a49.jpg

Burbeting

Banned
There was always knowledge that there was humanity outside the walls (Reiner and Berthold's 'hometown'), just not that humanity actually thrives, and the walls are more like a prison island.

And when time comes to adapt Ymir's final letter to Historia, it will all be redundant and fall completely flat.
Woah woah woah. Ymir's letter fell completely flat all on it's own in the manga. Now you're just being outraged for the sake of being outraged.

J@hranimo

Banned
Well this is an interesting turn in how we thought the season would play out. I don't think showing Ymir's backstory is too damaging to how the rest of the show *should* play out, but it gives me the impression it'll be another long wait until the next season.

Shrug.

Someone is close to the Goku/Grandpa Gohan thing in the Anime thread now lol
I was on Reddit earlier. And this anime-only guy was like: "the beast Titan looks like just like Grisha, and it's the only Titan with the same ears as Eren's. That can't be a coincidence."

I love reading crazy theories that turn out to be right.

If you say so! Do you also disagree about the "redundant" part?
I agree that it's redundant information. Yeah. But I don't think the story has been ruined or spoiled.

Plus I feel most manga readers have found everything concerning Ymir after this arc underwhelming anyway so there's no point in trying to preserve those moments.

Everyone thought Zeke was Grisha. But, I can't believe they actually showed Marley Soldiers throwing Elidians off the wall...

Man that anime thread is toxic. You can't speculate anything without fear of being called a spoiler. People are so fanatical about spoilers it ruins the fun.

kirblar

Everyone thought Zeke was Grisha. But, I can't believe they actually showed Marley Soldiers throwing Elidians off the wall...

Man that anime thread is toxic. You can't speculate anything without fear of being called a spoiler. People are so fanatical about spoilers it ruins the fun.
2 people randomly dropped actual tagged spoilers in there just today after the show aired. People are annoyed because fucking idiots keep doing it w/ untagged and tagged spoilers time after time after time. The hairtrigger is completely understandable.

Why the fuck do people keep doing so? Still doesn't justify witch hunting people speculationthing.

There was always knowledge that there was humanity outside the walls (Reiner and Berthold's 'hometown'), just not that humanity actually thrives, and the walls are more like a prison island.

Even worse was the Titans aren't the enemy, Humanity itself wants the Wall People dead. Even if we beat Marley, we're still fucked. You saw how the MEU soldiers reacted when captured by Elidians. They were disgusted and spat in their faces calling them monsters. The world hates Elidians regardless of Marley. There can't be a happy ending so long as Elidians can still turn into Titans. Humanity will never forgive them for their alleged- crimes.

Just finished the episode, and I was floored when I saw this.

Don't even want to check what's going on in the anime thread. People who have read the manga always tip their hand too much and spoil things for anime only folks, that's why I don't post in those as a manga reader, and if I'm watching the show of an adapted manga, I won't even check. It's too bad though.

lmao, amazing

If season 2 didn't take so long, this couldn't have happened. Such an insane turn of events

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops

Why would you even be speculating anything? You know already know if your speculation is true or not.

I'm a manga reader and I'm even annoyed at people who keep talking about manga stuff in the anime thread.

Why would you even be speculating anything? You know already know if your speculation is true or not.

I'm a manga reader and I'm even annoyed at people who keep talking about manga stuff in the anime thread.

I'm not speculating anything. More towards the actual people doing so that get labeled spoiler.
Not those who realized Grisha wouldn't ask about the soldiers' gear...

Is that your idea of "fun"?

Why would you go and dig up a post I made 4 years ago? What relevance would that have anymore? I've complained about manga readers hinting and spoiling before.

Erigu

Why would you go and dig up a post I made 4 years ago? What relevance would that have anymore?
You're making it sound like I should know you apologized or something. I remember you doubling down (in that post I linked to), but that's it.
And just like Einchy's reply shows, "that anime thread is toxic, you can't speculate anything" could be interpreted as you wishing you could "speculate" in that topic... which is precisely what you said you wanted to do in that post I linked to.
So... can you really not see why my mind went there?

kewlmyc

The anime thread can be pretty damn funny at times.

Is knowing Levi's last name really all that significant of a spoiler?

Top Bottom