• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attack on Titan (Shingeki no Kyojin) |OT| MMA Ultra(spider)man (NO MANGA SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeesh. I forgot how much Amazon over charges on anime.

I'm sure it'll go down. IIRC, part 1 was around the same price (or it was at least expensive enough that I wasn't gonna buy it) on Amazon when it got announced, but I ended up getting it for $32 a month before release. And now they sell it for $25.

bobawesome

I wonder, will S2 hype as it gets closer be the most anticipated anime season ever?

Considering the immense popularity of the Monogatari franchise in Japan I could see Kizumonogatari putting up a bit of a fight when
and if
it comes out. Not sure if it's been relegated to movie status at this point, though.

bobawesome

I know. I meant I hope it includes an art box for parts 1 and 2. Funimation has had some pretty annoying packaging issues lately though, so I'm not expecting it.

bobawesome

How far has the manga gotten? I tried reading it but the art is terrible. is there an online story I can read somewhere.

Like a novelization of the events? No. And I doubt there's one in the works. You'll either have to look past the art or wait a year+ for the anime to continue.

As for the manga, it's currently sitting pretty at 58 chapters. The anime ended at 34. If you ever pick up the manga you're better off starting at 33 due to the way the events of the final episode are handled.

kirblar

Whenver this current arc in the Manga ends they should have enough material to get S2 rolling if they want to do the full 26. I hope they just go for 13-ep seasons from now on though rather than 26, simply because it'll prevent super-long gaps in between everything.

Part 2 Collector's Edition revealed:

attack-on-titan-part-2-beauty-blog.png

attack-on-titan-ender-box.png

Includes:

• 3-D Lenticular Art Card, Notes From Beyond the Wall: Part 2 (24 page digibook featuring character information, interviews, 4 panel comics and more!), 3 Exclusive Banners (Wall Maria, Wall Rose, Wall Sina), an Exclusive Good Smile Picktam! Strap of Eren, and a Collectible Ender Art Box
  • On disc extras include: Episode 14 & 25 Commentaries, Attack on Titan at Anime Expo, “Chibi Theatre: Fly, Cadets, Fly!” Days 14-25, Eyecatch Gallery, Textless Songs, and Trailers!

Jito

Banned
Really enjoyed the opening of the show and the general premises of the whole thing kept me going through the series, but it lost me pretty early on with the terrible format for each episode, (Spend 15 minutes monologuing and crying then finally get shit done for a minute of the episode) and man all that crap with Armin worrying so much just killed the show for me. The whole thing could really be condensed down to half the episodes and cut out all the crying and worrying all the time.

Snakepit

I watched all of season 1 in its entirety in 3 days, I loved it even though some parts seemed to drag on still a great anime, but now the wait for season 2 is killing me

ElyrionX

Just started watching this last week. I am on episode 13 now. I haven't been watching much anime for literally a decade now (before this year, I think the last one I watched was like 10 episodes of Gundam Seed) so it's strange that I actually watched the whole of Gundam Build Fighters this year and now I am working my way through AoT.

Anyway, AoT has been interesting thus far. I only started to watch because the whole apocalyptic setting has always intrigued me and I heard some good things about the show around here. It got off to a good start but then it started to slooooooow so much when Eren discovered his Titan powers. I just finished Episode 13 and I have to say, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. That part where Rivaill saved Eren and Armin from the two Titans reaching for them after Eren was cut loose from his Titan form, jesus christ. That pulsating beat and the timing of the riffs was absolutely spot-on.

kirblar

Just started watching this last week. I am on episode 13 now. I haven't been watching much anime for literally a decade now (before this year, I think the last one I watched was like 10 episodes of Gundam Seed) so it's strange that I actually watched the whole of Gundam Build Fighters this year and now I am working my way through AoT.

Anyway, AoT has been interesting thus far. I only started to watch because the whole apocalyptic setting has always intrigued me and I heard some good things about the show around here. It got off to a good start but then it started to slooooooow so much when Eren discovered his Titan powers. I just finished Episode 13 and I have to say, the soundtrack is absolutely amazing. That part where Rivaill saved Eren and Armin from the two Titans reaching for them after Eren was cut loose from his Titan form, jesus christ. That pulsating beat and the timing of the riffs was absolutely spot-on.
The pacing is pretty bizarre. It's actually sort of weirdly good because of it'll just catch you completely off guard. Soundtrack is indeed godlike.

MrBigBoy

I'm about to watch my very first anime series, I'll start with AoT. It's been a long time i've watched a series I really liked, so I hope that anime will do it for me now.

I was very LTTP On this series, finished watching the whole thing over the last 2-3 weeks. I really enjoyed the action and sense of believability in their equipment and architecture.

I never really felt myself get attatched to any particular character though, some of their conversations were just repetitive and pointless. Not sure if it was the translation

I haven't watched any anime since DBZ but I started watching AoT on a whim per a recommendation from a friend.

I started about 24 hours ago and just binged all the way through, thinking it was 25 episodes in total. Now I'm really sad that I have to wait for more :(

Anyone know if the manga has some resolution in sight? Or are they going to attempt to drag this out like DBZ with no end, like Lost?

Fuuuuu, that was so good.

So I binged through all the episodes in 24 hours and I still can't get it out of my mind. Here's my speculation below:

I think Commander Erwin is the colossal titan. He seems to be willing to sacrifice human lives, and I think he broke the outer gate in year 845 because he didn't want humanity to become complacent in living in the walls. When Eren is fighting Annie and he is held up by the MP, they constantly keeping referring to his "humanity", or lack thereof. I would wager it's either him or Pixis, who was willing to make that same sacrifice. Pixis is bald like the titan, but I think that's a red herring, and Erwin is tall.

As for the Titan(s) in the wall, it's cool because the opening shot of ep 25 is the church congregation standing in 3 circles, with interlocking arms. Combined with the miner story I think it's clear the Titans are inert in the walls, blocked to sunlight.

I have some more thoughts which I'll post later, maybe.

wmlk

Seems like people here love them some Hiroyuki Sawano. He's a pretty polarizing composer...I generally don't like his pseudo-German lyrics.

But yeah, Vogel Im Käfig is one of the few awe-inspiring songs I've ever heard in anything. Hearing the end of it in the first episode cemented that I had to stick to Attack on Titan no matter how good or how bad it might be.

And yeah, for people watching the dub, the Japanese voices are much better. I generally like to watch the dub for anything, but it's quite clear here.

The dub has some moments, though. Like with Jean's and Armin's VA. They're two of my favourite characters so that's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom