• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Attempting to rank the Sonic series for 2D and 3D...because that’s not controversial

VGEsoterica

Oct 5, 2019
Why did I decide to do it? I don’t know...guess disagreement is fun lol...or I’ve been spending way too much time playing Sega retro stuff lately

After the Sonic Forces dump Sega took on us I started thinking “what happened to Sonic”...how did Sega release Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces in the same year? One of the best Sonic games in recent memory sharing the same space as one of the worst Sonic games in recent memory?

With all the new console and game news it seemed sad that Sonic no longer (and hasn’t for awhile) held the same sway and impact as he used to and that the default reaction to a new Sonic game is “how will this let us down and disappoint us”

So I started to wonder...what are the best Sonic games? In 2D and 3D. Was my memory of loving Sonic intrinsically tied to getting a Genesis for Christmas one year vs the Super Nintendo? Or was my love of the series rooted in actual good Sonic games?

So I pulled out all the stops and developed the most scientific and fact based review metric ever conceived....pure opinion 😂

On the 2D side at number 5 I put Sonic CD. While I absolutely still enjoy CD, of all the 2D mainline games it seems to have aged the worst to me. While graphically and soundtrack wise it’s still an awesome game to me, gameplay wise it’s just not as good as I remember as a kid. The level design is a bit of a mess with a maze like structure and obstacles that hinder your progress before you even see them. Throw in the time travel mechanic that has you moving across three versions of the same stage and before you know it the game seems to devolve into a bit of a confusing item chase to get the best ending.

It’s still a fun game, but it hasn’t held up as well as I remember. That’s all probably down to getting a Sega CD for Christmas with Sonic CD and playing the ever loving hell out of the game. My nostalgia for it is so huge that I don’t think the game could ever hold up to the reality that Sonic CD delivers.

But I’d be curious to hear others opinions. Am I dead wrong in saying Sonic CD takes the number five spot? I’ll keep using this one thread as I add games to my running list but I will say I put Sonic Generations at #5 for the 3D category.

VGEsoterica

Oct 5, 2019

My thoughts on Sonic CD. Or you can just read above. If the link is an issue I will delete it cause I just want to talk Sonic lol

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Oct 5, 2019

Probably not a popular pick for number 5. I love the 3D sections but the physics in the 2D portions just fall flat on their face. I wish Sega would either pick...3D or 2D...and not the “satisfy everyone with everything” mode of making Sonic games