• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Attention CASTLEVANIA fans: The Lecarde Chronicles 2 released!

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
MODS: If you can please edit the CASTLEVANIA spelling mistake in the title, thank you.

C8vJz_wVYAAfhl-.jpg

Developer website: http://the-mig-page.wifeo.com/castlevania-the-lecarde-chronicles-2013.php
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTh2uo11oI
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8a3iii98pn28t2s/CTLC2.rarhttp

Please note I am in no way affiliated with the development of this game. I am playing the game and felt the need to spread awareness since I can tell a lot of work went into developing it.

Five years after his great victory over the evil Von Viltheim Family, Efrain Lecarde, the Knight of the Church, has been summoned by the pope.

He must look into reports of troubling events in France.

Efrain is about to enter the worst nightmare imaginable...

1484573236-9652-jaquette-avant.jpg

About the game:

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles 2 is a Castlevania fan game made by Mig. It is a fan game of the great KONAMI'S CASTLEVANIA® series.

Although lots of sprites and backgrounds are inspired from the Castlevania series, all of the graphics are homemade (No ripped graphics).

The game is a real love letter to Rondo of Blood and SOTN and combines the tight level design and movement from Rondo of Blood with a map, subscreen, absolutely huge world, exploration and secrets similar to SOTN. I even dare say the overall package is better than both games. All sprites are original which is freaking amazing to say the least, even famous enemies and characters don't have their sprites copied but instead are remade from scratch to match the overall graphic design.

The developer even managed to get the original SOTN Alucard voice actor to contribute to the game.

Game is huge and incredibly fun, best Castlevania in a very long time and it's a fan made project, all fans of the 2D Castlevania games need to play this!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4mFfwBwifw

The screenshots below don't do the game justice, please watch the game in motion to get a better idea of the visuals.

lc2preseng.jpg

lc2subscreen.png

lc2statue.jpg

lc2rome.jpg

slogra.jpg

lc2shop.jpg

lc2val.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Whoa! I haven't been following this at all, so this is out of nowhere for me. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

petrvs

Hyperbole? Though sell. More info needed

Edit: watched videos. Nostalgia is big. Seems a lot of love got into this. I wish some art and look of menus was better.

Why not creating an original IP and invest in graphic art? Seems you guys got the gameplay solid

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

3rd one up from the bottom has slogra so it dose have ripped sprites

I believe the sprite is remade from scratch (I could be wrong though). For those worried about legality, a demo was released a long time ago and Konami okayed it as long as the game is free.

rjc571

Banned
Looks better than Bloodstaind

Well maybe not, but it does have a weird charmingly amateurish appeal. I may check it out.

SeanTSC

Looks better than Bloodstaind

Well maybe not, but it does have a weird charmingly amateurish appeal. I may check it out.

Yeah... no, no it doesn't. But, it does look waaaaaaay better in motion than it does in the stills. The video has got me interested.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
The game also has a day night cycle which affects certain events and enemy presence. I hope more people get to try it out.

Corpekata

Banned
Surprised more haven't heard of the original Lecarde Chronicles. It's worth playing though this one looks like a decent step up.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Surprised more haven't heard of the original Lecarde Chronicles. It's worth playing though this one looks like a decent step up.
Probably because it was a Genesis game, and most CV fans were playing on other systems at the time

(This is my reasoning anyway)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Probably because it was a Genesis game, and most CV fans were playing on other systems at the time

(This is my reasoning anyway)

You're confusing games, the game you're thinking of is Castelvania: Bloodlines which featured a Lecarde playable character.

The Lecarde Chronicles is also a a fan made game developed by MIG.

Foffy

Banned

3rd one up from the bottom has slogra so it dose have ripped sprites

Nope. They're recreated sprites.

The fact you thought they were stolen kind of shows how effective the inspiration and authenticity went, tho. ;)

I played the game when it released a few weeks ago. If someone likes Castlevania and more particularly Order of Ecclesia, play this. This is a game with Classicvania difficulty but with the Metroidvania formula.

Konami apparently gave this game their blessing so long as it was released for free, so I don't think this will be taken down.

My only complaint with the game is that some bosses are kinda lamesauce and the story for
Alucard's presence is poorly explained in the game.

I will one day have to give this a try. It looks pretty good, aside from the fonts. It's interesting that the fonts used give it a much worse impression than the other graphics.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

The fact you thought they were stolen kind of shows how effective the inspiration and authenticity went, tho. ;)

I played the game when it released a few weeks ago. If someone likes Castlevania and more particularly Order of Ecclesia, play this. This is a game with Classicvania difficulty but with the Metroidvania formula.

Konami apparently gave this game their blessing so long as it was released for free, so I don't think this will be taken down.

My only complaint with the game is that some bosses are kinda lamesauce and the story for

Spoiler about story and characters:
But it was so fucking cool that the developer managed to get the original voice actor to voice Alucard, I was shocked, it almost makes the game feel canon.

Foffy

Banned
Spoiler about story and characters:
But it was so fucking cool that the developer managed to get the original voice actor to voice Alucard, I was shocked, it almost makes the game feel canon.

Belgrade did voice work for free too, which I thought was kind. I guess he was moved by the request.

Wow, never heard of this before now. Will give it a try.

Which game would you compare it to, if any? Visually it looks like a mix between Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night.

D.Lo

Looks very '90s PC game' instead of like any Castlevania. Perhaps a bit like AD X68K I guess.

Might take a look.

This is AMAZING news! Kudos to Konami for not taking it down!!

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Übermatik;236783517 said:
Wow, never heard of this before now. Will give it a try.

Which game would you compare it to, if any? Visually it looks like a mix between Super Castlevania IV and Symphony of the Night.

I don't know if you read the OT, it's a mix between Rondo of Blood and SOTN.

kswiston

Cool. But if all of the assets are made for this game instead of ripped, why not make some slight variations and sell it as an original game?

OmegaDL50

Because no one would give a fuck about it. A fan game is a much faster way to get attention and establish a following.

Yep. Streets of Rage Remake or even AM2R are fine examples of amazing fan games based on an already established lore / universe.

If they were basically used original art and assets they would have gone largely ignored and people would have went "Meh, indie clone, not interested"

Foffy

Banned
Cool. But if all of the assets are made for this game instead of ripped, why not make some slight variations and sell it as an original game?

The main folks who worked on this are making a game inspired by this, but as their own thing.

I believe it's called Wallachia: Reign of Dracula.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Because they're fans of the series and made it in their spare time as a labour of love? Not everything has to be about money

Corpekata

Banned
To give context: These guys have been making castlevania fan games for like 2 decades. It's just something they like to do. It's easy to dismiss as some cynical follower grab or w/e but I don't think that's the case here.

To give context: These guys have been making castlevania fan games for like 2 decades. It's just something they like to do. It's easy to dismiss as some cynical follower grab or w/e but I don't think that's the case here.

If I could make Castlevania games like this in my spare time, I would.

Ahasverus

Eric Lecarde was blond though.

Man this game is such an amazing work. It might be the most impressive fan game I've ever seen. Congratulations to the team. Hopefully this is a wake up call for Konami.

Top Bottom