• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ATVI: "Crash surpassed our wildest expectations" and "looking at other classic IP"

13ruce

Banned
Fanfuckingtastic.
Now Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft and other devs take notes remake some more games fully in hd too.

Woah
9eb.gif

HD Spyro 1, 2, and 3 would make me so happy

Bolded may be true, but Activision made a point the whole call to still list Skylanders as a major franchise. The rumors that it's being cut are clearly false. Eric specifically said it's being "reborn on Mobile" and talked about exploring future options and, although this is my own anecdotal stuff here, merchandise and television show are still doing well from what I hear. It may be downsized from what it once was, but they clearly still see value in pursuing it. SL Spyro is going nowhere.

Does Skylanders really need the Spyro IP anymore though? I feel like it's enough of its own thing now that they could pluck Spyro out and it wouldn't lose anything.

just put CTR on PSN or something with online multiplayer, I do NOT need a remake, it's perfect as is

Spyro remakes would be nice.

It should be noted, Eric was speaking in relation to the numbers they saw in Quarter 2, so this likely only refers to Crash sales in the last two days of June. It's done even more since then. He made a point to mention Sony's release of the PS Store charts this morning as evidence of Crash's legs going forward in the same answer.
Keep trucking, Crash.

kc44135

So, I suppose 2018 will be the Year of the Dragon, eh? ;)

Also, what other basically dead IP's besides Spyro is Activision sitting on? Anything interesting?

silva1991

CTR announcement followed by Spyro trilogy announcement next PS experience. MEGATON

Crash had years of build up with the early PS4 cryptic hints and Shawn with that t-shirt.

They need to replicate that if they want Spyro to be as successful.

Spyro was never as popular or as iconic as Crash tho. Not even AAA marketing campaign will make it sell as good as crash imo.

Does Skylanders really need the Spyro IP anymore though? I feel like it's enough of its own thing now that they could pluck Spyro out and it wouldn't lose anything.

Spyro is one of the more popular characters and the comics and show make him the main character. You're likely going to see a split of SL Spyro and "Classic" Spyro. They're selling a Classic Spyro resin statue with First4Figures later this year. Obviously I know nothing behind the scenes but that seems like a pretty big "Wink wink nudge nudge hint hint" moment.

Lihwem

So Fox Interactive was acquired by Vivendi Games...
Vivendi Games has been merged with Activision...

So I guess this falls under the "there's a chance this could happen" realm:

Croc_Legend_of_the_Gobbos.jpg

brian577

Banned
In for a Spyro trilogy remake but only if they cut out the mini games. I loved the original but couldn't get very far into Spyro 2 without getting tired of them. Never even touched Spyro 3.

Do not remake the yawn inducing Wrath of Cortex. CTR is a must. Crash Bash is give or take, but it wasn't a good quality game when it was released. I'd prefer an original game, a (fully realized) Twinsanity Remake, or a game in the Twinsanity style that is all new.

Marcel

Bolded may be true, but Activision made a point the whole call to still list Skylanders as a major franchise. The rumors that it's being cut are clearly false. Eric specifically said it's being "reborn on Mobile" and talked about exploring future options and, although this is my own anecdotal stuff here, merchandise and television show are still doing well from what I hear. It may be downsized from what it once was, but they clearly still see value in pursuing it. SL Spyro is going nowhere.

They will probably see some growth then if they're fully shifting Skylanders to a mobile model. It makes me wonder though how ultimately sustainable it is until the parents or kids move on to the next thing when that space is so crowded with IPs that pander to kids.

CHC

People ask for something for 10+ years....

You develop exactly what they asked for....

You make it on a responsible budget....

You sell it for a reasonable price....

During a quiet part of the year....

It is a success.

Shocking!

Mooreberg

Crash Team Racing has to be getting the same treatment next. It may not sell quite as much as he trilogy, but it would be considerably less work. And as loathe as I am to mention it, a big DLC opportunity for Activision if they make new tracks based on franchise locations. Just don't MWR it. :-/

mmhmm

I love love love the art style of the first game. All crystals and Aura Borealis-y color scheme that I have literally only seen in one other game since.

Spyro was better than Crash

Yeah that game really was a beauty, some stuff from Media Molecule's Dreams reminds me of it. Which game are you thinking of?

Marcel

Bring on the Spyro remasters and Crash Bandicoot 4. And yes, they should call it that.

Of course they should. Why should any developer who ends up developing a new Crash game have to account for all that mutant shit barely anyone remembers?

sn00zer

Yeah that game really was a beauty, some stuff from Media Molecule's Dreams reminds me of it. Which game are you thinking of?

Weirdly.... Dark Souls 3 has one particularly spoilerly area that uses a similar color scheme of light blues, greens, pinks, and purples

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I haven't played Spyro in ages, so I can't speak for how well it would hold up today.

Played it about a year and a half back, and it held up surprisingly well. The series came out from the mid-to-back end of the PS1's life cycle so it didn't have as much early 3D clunkiness to manage. Really beautiful for a game of that era too.

Top Bottom