• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile Options For PS5 - Headphones, DAC, Etc.

Rambone

That’s the issue with gaming headsets and why using your own is usually a better choice. Even if you find a pair that sound good and have great features the fit can still make or break them. I’m considering unscrewing the strap if I can’t get it to be comfortable because I don’t see it breaking in. I tried pulling them back with ties and I’ll see if that makes it less annoying. It’s much tighter than the X2hr which has a similar style but also has padding.

I can see that. Have you checked the straps to make sure they are extending out all the way? I have noticed that mine still has extra slack and I can slide the strap further down its slot, sometimes it seems like one side or other will stay in the middle of the slot that it slides up and down in.

FrankWza

I can see that. Have you checked the straps to make sure they are extending out all the way? I have noticed that mine still has extra slack and I can slide the strap further down its slot, sometimes it seems like one side or other will stay in the middle of the slot that it slides up and down in.

yeah, I have them tied as well. It’s getting better. If you don’t keep them tied equally it clamps the sides. The platinum are more comfortable for me so far but there’s some issues there too.

travisktl

Just a heads up, apparently Karak from ACG tested his USB DAC with the PS5, and it worked. I figured that would be the case, but I'm glad to have that confirmed now. Now we can hopefully start getting some 3D audio comparisons between the Pulse headset and other headphones starting this time next week.

bboris77

Neo Member
Just a heads up, apparently Karak from ACG tested his USB DAC with the PS5, and it worked. I figured that would be the case, but I'm glad to have that confirmed now. Now we can hopefully start getting some 3D audio comparisons between the Pulse headset and other headphones starting this time next week.

Just to qualify this - he tested it with a DAC that is UAC1 and it worked perfectly. That means that any USB DAC that worked with the PS4 will work with the PS5. No one has yet been able to test a DAC that is UAC2-compliant.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
What headset should I get for the PS5? The Pulse 3D or something else?

I would say Pulse 3D seems to be the best bang-for-the-buck out there at only $99. I've preordered one, many here already did as well. You can wait for reviews, I'll compare it to Astro A40 from my side. If you got PS Platinum/Gold I don't think you need to upgrade, or any other supported headset on PS4.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For you, I tested a Grado SR80e which is a 32-ohm impedance HP with the PS5 controller on my PC and it got plenty loud, after 47% volume was where it started getting uncomfortable to listen to.

One of the major problems of PS4 and that forced me to get an amplifier that sound is just so damn low from the DS4 and even USB. Didn't test PS headsets before though.

Rambone

One of the major problems of PS4 and that forced me to get an amplifier that sound is just so damn low from the DS4 and even USB. Didn't test PS headsets before though.

I had the same set of issues, so I had to plug in devices like a Dragonfly Red/black, Creative G5/G6, etc, to be able to use my higher end headphones or get decent volume out of whatever I had plugged into the controller. Volume wasn't the only issue with the PS4 controller but sound quality wasn't that great either. Even with stuff that was appropriate for the PS4 controller the sound quality was never really on the same level going through dac/amp solutions like the ones mentioned above. Eventually I got tired (lazy) with the additional setup and settled on some earbuds that had perfect synergy with the PS4 controller.

I should have my hands on a PS5 next week so I am eager to see if the issues with volume and most importantly sound quality have been resolved when plugged into the PS5 controller. I am also interested in seeing what Tempest will do to the sound quality beyond something like what one would expect if you turned Windows Sonic on/off or simulated 7.1 surround. I pray to the Sony gods, Shrek, whomever that Tempest will be be able to work magic like the Creative G6, it does awesome stuff. The previous G5 model, I reluctantly had to return a 500 dollar amp since the G5 I was using at the time (which cost me under a hundred dollars new on sale) made them sound like a side-grade at best (iFi Micro IDSD Black Label in case you are wondering).

I never really messed around with PS wireless headsets either but I always hear good things about the PS Gold being regarded as a good sounding headphone for the console. I have a few wireless headsets that are compatible with the PS4 but never really bothered to plug them in. I really hope the Pulse 3D delivers on the PS5 because I found it pretty average to meh sounding when connected to my PC via the wireless Dongle and even the PS4 although it was somewhat improved (perhaps cause it was sampling at a higher rate? Connecting it by cable straight to a laptop improved things somewhat but it never really got exciting until I plugged it into my G6 and I felt like I could understand the excitement people had for it who had a chance to test it out already with their PS5.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

I would say Pulse 3D seems to be the best bang-for-the-buck out there at only $99. I've preordered one, many here already did as well. You can wait for reviews, I'll compare it to Astro A40 from my side. If you got PS Platinum/Gold I don't think you need to upgrade, or any other supported headset on PS4.

Thanks for the response, Bo. I’ll pick up a Pulse 3D when I can. 😀

jaysius

Banned
What headset should I get for the PS5? The Pulse 3D or something else?
ANY headset or pair of headphones will be SUPERIOR to any Playstation branded headset, in audio quality and comfort, there have been many people stating how uncomfortable the Pulse is, and it's status quo for the playstation brand headsets.

Spend some extra money, get something that you'll be able to listen to music, movies and game on.

Last edited:

Duellist

Ok so what do you guys recommend I use to run my sennheiser hd598sr headphones on the ps5? Currently I just plug them into my dual shock. While that works pretty good and I've never had any issues or complaints with the mic I feel that I'm missing out on the sound by running this way. Plus it's a pain not being able to control mic and sound volume without changing sound options in game. Something I could use to power the phones for music as well as gaming.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok so what do you guys recommend I use to run my sennheiser hd598sr headphones on the ps5? Currently I just plug them into my dual shock. While that works pretty good and I've never had any issues or complaints with the mic I feel that I'm missing out on the sound by running this way. Plus it's a pain not being able to control mic and sound volume without changing sound options in game.

Continue doing the same for a starter. DS4 was limited to 2.0 channel, DS has RealTek audio chip this time around.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Ok so what do you guys recommend I use to run my sennheiser hd598sr headphones on the ps5? Currently I just plug them into my dual shock. While that works pretty good and I've never had any issues or complaints with the mic I feel that I'm missing out on the sound by running this way. Plus it's a pain not being able to control mic and sound volume without changing sound options in game. Something I could use to power the phones for music as well as gaming.
Continue doing the same for a starter. DS4 was limited to 2.0 channel, DS has RealTek audio chip this time around.

i agree. Start there and see what happens. Those are great headphones that always were limited as a headset without modding or getting a mod mic add on. It’s now possible that you may use the mic on the dualsense to chat and use the UI chatmix.

Last edited:

Duellist

rambone did tests and the dualsense drives headphones up to I think 80 ohms no problem. I never understand why sennheiser has that proprietary jack and even worse, why it’s 2.5mm. They’re great sounding for gaming
So seeing as the 598sr are 50ohms impedance the dualsense should drive them perfectly.

FrankWza

Apparentle the 7x made for xbox also works with ps5 and has chatmix etc, i just dont know if they are taking advantage of tempest or 3d audio like the 7p's
The 7x has chatmix for the xbox. Not PS5. They all 7/7p/7x will use tempest. The 7 is the only one with a chance at chatmix working since its on board but may require an optical workaround.
So seeing as the 598sr are 50ohms impedance the dualsense should drive them perfectly.
I believe so. Sony is looking to give tempest to anyone with a set of headphones and a dualsense. I don’t know how it will affect battery life, but it should be fine. But, you may want to order an alternative just in case. things tend to get crazy for launches and some options may sell out. That’s what I did, just in case.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
J jaysius You seem to laugh at some of my posts thinking that I’m suggesting Pulse 3D to be the true headset to have the best experience, which I’m not. It just sounds like a solid budget headset with good quality and build enough for most users. Enthusiast would rather have Steelies and other premium gaming headset. But I would highly recommend watching/reading ratings.com reviews as they are extremely extensive and professional. Also to see reviews about suggested headset before investing your money and have an underwhelming experience like I had with Astro A40+Mixamp which lacks bass and pretty flat while being clear And comfy that I wear for endless hours.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Pulse headset would make 99% of people happy, let your ears be the judge

Do you have them? Mine is coming with the console, I guess. Also if I like them I‘lol stick with PS headsets and upgrade to the next one as they get further optimization and can download official tweaks for each game to hear it as intended.

Antelope

PC38X is currently swirling in customs purgatory. Last update said it would arrive on the 12th....not going to get my hopes up but that would be ideal. Also the box weights six pounds but the headphones weigh 250g....wtf is in that box?

Edit: Delivery estimate from the arrival city 6 hours away: 1-11 days. I feel the pain of anyone waiting for XSX or PS5 to ship.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Now that I've got my PS5 here's what I ended up doing:

VMzVy4a.png

My PC speakers have an extra 3.5mm input on the front and my monitor doesn't have speakers, so I run a 3.5mm cable from the dualsense to the speakers. Inside the PS5 OS I turn the volume on maximum and then just control the volume via the knob on the speakers. Works well.
I was charging the controller at the time too, hence the usb cable from the controller to the console. It may not be the best looking option, but it's doing the job for me at the moment.

FrankWza

My PC speakers have an extra 3.5mm
If you want a little more freedom with your controller you can get a usb sound card/dac off Amazon. Make sure it doesn’t require drivers and plug it into usb on the PS5 and the 3.5 cable to your speakers. $10-$20

Celcius

°Temp. member
If you want a little more freedom with your controller you can get a usb sound card/dac off Amazon. Make sure it doesn’t require drivers and plug it into usb on the PS5 and the 3.5 cable to your speakers. $10-$20
At this point I think I'll probably just grab a TV next month but this works in the meanwhile

Any of you guys kniw if theres single ear blutooths czmpatible with ps5?

i have sony 1000xm3 which way are way better then aurpods and ther uncampatible

Any of you guys kniw if theres single ear blutooths czmpatible with ps5?

i have sony 1000xm3 which way are way better then aurpods and ther uncampatible
The PS5 Ultimate FAQ on the PS Blog says this :

Wireless headsets from third-party companies that use a Bluetooth connection will not be supported on PS5, though most USB and analog headsets will be supported.
Headsets that can connect to a 3.5mm jack, USB-A, or USB-C will work for 3D Audio.

It's safe to assume that Bluetooth Audio is not supported on the PS5 at this time. There might be a solution where you plug a USB Bluetooth transmitter into your PS5 and pass audio similar to how the Pulse 3D headset works but I haven't seen anyone posting results about this method online.

Rambone

Quick Update:

I was able to sit down with the PS5 for about 15-20 minutes before eating dinner to do some quick listening over the spotify app to stream in some music. I have not gamed yet as I am waiting for my PS5 to finish some downloads. I tried a few headphones that should cover most of the ohm ranges folks are interested in.

- HD650/HD6XX 300ohm headphone plugged into the controller. Sound quality was doable, volume was loud enough. I felt like the experience could be maintained on the controller vs having to plug in a dac/amp solution, although there is no doubt you would benefit from better and cleaner sound quality by using a dac/amp.
- AKG K7XX 60ohm: Had some room to spare on volume. Sound quality was serviceable, relatively same experience as above.
- Hifiman HE4XX 32 Ohm: Decided to do an entry planar. Got plenty loud, sound quality was good.
- Phillips X2HD 30 ohm: Plenty of volume to spare, sounded great. Definitely didn't need a separate amp or dac.

I think that pretty much covers most ranges of head phones. I am REALLY impressed with the massive improvement over the PS4 controller. I think most will be pleased.

I'll try and play around with DAC/AMP solutions at some point, especially the Creative G6. Without trying to shill the G6, as far as I am concerned the G6 will probably shit all over most dac/amp solutions in the 100-500 dollar range when you A/B test and aren't concerned about reference accurate stuff like a THX/Heresy/Atom, which imo are excellent and very clean sounding but they are a bit boring. To help illustrate the differences to help some better understand.... regular amps are like missionary sex, pretty ordinary but still extremely enjoyable and intimate experiences. The G6 switches it up and goes from cowgirl, trades off for some doggy then transitions again into a full on orgy... of sound. I just think it's on a different level, maybe like how some will prefer tube amps over solid state because the sound is more pleasing. Lets be clear, there will always be more expensive higher end dac/amps you can buy but the G6 could easily make you not even care, especially when you have had the chance to hear one for yourself and got it properly tuned. It's friendly with any headphone you can throw at it and is much like a spice rack giving you plenty of different ways to flavor your audio. You can pick one of these up for $80 on sale right now for a refurb https://us.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock. These are some of the more expensive dac/amp combos I use as reference to compare: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTNK3ZT/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459. If I could only have one, I'd pick the G6 in a heartbeat and never look back but that is just me, I need my music to surround me, feel robust, alive and MUSICAL while still sounding pristine. It's great.

Pulse 3D headphones.....
For music playback I am not really impressed with these yet but I hope I get some time to game with them to see if they rock my world.

Edit: Pulse 3D Update - Tested using Demon's Souls
- I didn't really notice much of a difference in 3D positioning vs using any other headphone.
- Pulse 3D didn't sound much better while gaming.
- I do not have a large pool of wireless headphones to choose from but the ones I did try were the following:
Corsair Void Pro Wireless: these were far to quiet on the system to be useful as a wireless gaming headset for the PS5.
Creative Theater Air: These were wayyy better than the Pulse 3D and worked extremely well with the PS5 but they are double the price of the Pulse 3D so probably not the first choice for somebody on a budget. In some circumstances the S-XFI processing on this headset can be a little much, I found that I enjoyed it and it enhanced my immersion so I left it enabled. S-XFI basically gives sound a more 3D holographic effect, it's pretty snazzy but it can be complicated to get the sound just right as it requires a pretty precise photo of your ears to map them out, the quality of the 3D holographic effect is dependent on that scan. This is surprisingly hard to do on your own!

Last edited:

DertieBertie

Neo Member
First of all, thanks for doing all these tests! I've been looking for this exact information for a while and this is the only place I could find!

I plan on using my Audio Technica Ath-ag1x headset which is rated at 50 ohms directly into the dualsense controller. Will the dualsense be able to power these effectively? At the moment, with my DS4, it's very quiet.

Also, would I benefit from using something like a G6? I'm assuming you'd still connect it via the 3.5mm on the dualsense?

Keep up the great work!

Rambone

First of all, thanks for doing all these tests! I've been looking for this exact information for a while and this is the only place I could find!

I plan on using my Audio Technica Ath-ag1x headset which is rated at 50 ohms directly into the dualsense controller. Will the dualsense be able to power these effectively? At the moment, with my DS4, it's very quiet.

Also, would I benefit from using something like a G6? I'm assuming you'd still connect it via the 3.5mm on the dualsense?

Keep up the great work!

I am impressed with your headset, I do not see too many of those and I love the AT 3D wing design. I have an ATH model that is very similar to your closed back ATH-AG1X that shares similar drivers. Pulled a ATH-A900x (closed back model) out of my headphone storage and it works very well with the PS5 with volume to spare. While the A900x is only rated to 40ohms it's not too far off from 50ohms and again the models are very similar. I didn't have any problems with volume on headphones with a higher ohm rating so I do not foresee any issues with your AG1X, the sound quality should be good also.

I still have to get around to testing the G6. For the PS5 specifically the G6 will need an optical cable and HDMI audio converter such as this one https://www.astrogaming.com/en-us/p...tation-5.html?_cpx_camp_rule_id=47#943-000449 or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083QPCNQN/?tag=neogaf0e-20. You will not be able to plug the G6 directly to the controller, the G6 will also not be recognized over its USB interface.

Last edited:

Rambone

I would agree with this review. I think that it would be fair to say that since there are not many headsets available for the PS5 right now that the Pulse 3D is a great bargain and the sound is probably on par with its price range, as far as wireless headsets go. Looking around and not factoring in PS5 compatibility the selection of gaming focused wireless headsets under $100 is pretty limited. Seeing mostly chinese manufacturers (things you can find on Amazon like MPOW), maybe some older Razer and Hyper X stuff but having not sampled those things I suppose it would be safe to say the Pulse 3D would be considered a good entry point with all its features.

I think its also fair to say that you will most definitely find that your wired headsets probably already sound as good if not better than these but if you need a wireless headset with chat functionality then this might be a good place to start.

Umbral

I have a pair of Astros and a Mixamp.

Weirdly, I think the 3D audio sounds slightly better coming directly from the DualSense to the Astros. Anybody else compared the two?

Rolla

Banned
My steelserie will "work" on the PS5 but all audio fidelity is gone. Reduced to basic stereo sound.

I'm really bummed about that. I love the headset.

FrankWza

I suppose it would be safe to say the Pulse 3D would be considered a good entry point with all its features.

I would agree overall. for the features it has it’s definitely worth more than $99. Especially right now. We’re in a bad spot for headsets because all legacy wireless non Sony have lost chatmix functionality. There’s some bad headsets out there. These sound better than most similarly priced and they’re wireless.
I think the 3D audio sounds slightly better coming directly from the DualSense to the Astros.

You’re using your mixamp with usb sound? It’s not as powerful as it was when it used optical. They’re gimped

Umbral

I would agree overall. for the features it has it’s definitely worth more than $99. Especially right now. We’re in a bad spot for headsets because all legacy wireless non Sony have lost chatmix functionality. There’s some bad headsets out there. These sound better than most similarly priced and they’re wireless.

You’re using your mixamp with usb sound? It’s not as powerful as it was when it used optical. They’re gimped
Yeah, I set it up according to Astro’s instructions for 3D over USB.

The controller sounds slightly better and slightly more powerful. Unexpected. I have a way on my TV to pass optical, but I lose 3D audio then. I guess controller is how I’ll be using it for now.

The DualSense is doing a lot. Controls, haptics, adaptive triggers, light bar, touchpad, 3D audio. I’m shocked the battery life is as good as it is.

Shmunter

Yeah, I set it up according to Astro’s instructions for 3D over USB.

The controller sounds slightly better and slightly more powerful. Unexpected. I have a way on my TV to pass optical, but I lose 3D audio then. I guess controller is how I’ll be using it for now.

The DualSense is doing a lot. Controls, haptics, adaptive triggers, light bar, touchpad, 3D audio. I’m shocked the battery life is as good as it is.
Sony needs to add headphone profile to hdmi out. Definitely an artificial cock block.

Rambone

DualSense is a fantastic controller in almost every single way. It's ridiculously immersive when playing No Mans Sky, the adaptive triggers are next level paired with the haptics.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I’m using my Razer Man”o”wars and I can hear stuff beside and behind me. I didn’t realize and headset that connects to the PS5 could do that. I’m pretty stoked about it.

Quick Update:

I was able to sit down with the PS5 for about 15-20 minutes before eating dinner to do some quick listening over the spotify app to stream in some music. I have not gamed yet as I am waiting for my PS5 to finish some downloads. I tried a few headphones that should cover most of the ohm ranges folks are interested in.

- HD650/HD6XX 300ohm headphone plugged into the controller. Sound quality was doable, volume was loud enough. I felt like the experience could be maintained on the controller vs having to plug in a dac/amp solution, although there is no doubt you would benefit from better and cleaner sound quality by using a dac/amp.
- AKG K7XX 60ohm: Had some room to spare on volume. Sound quality was serviceable, relatively same experience as above.
- Hifiman HE4XX 32 Ohm: Decided to do an entry planar. Got plenty loud, sound quality was good.
- Phillips X2HD 30 ohm: Plenty of volume to spare, sounded great. Definitely didn't need a separate amp or dac.

I think that pretty much covers most ranges of head phones. I am REALLY impressed with the massive improvement over the PS4 controller. I think most will be pleased.

I'll try and play around with DAC/AMP solutions at some point, especially the Creative G6. Without trying to shill the G6, as far as I am concerned the G6 will probably shit all over most dac/amp solutions in the 100-500 dollar range when you A/B test and aren't concerned about reference accurate stuff like a THX/Heresy/Atom, which imo are excellent and very clean sounding but they are a bit boring. To help illustrate the differences to help some better understand.... regular amps are like missionary sex, pretty ordinary but still extremely enjoyable and intimate experiences. The G6 switches it up and goes from cowgirl, trades off for some doggy then transitions again into a full on orgy... of sound. I just think it's on a different level, maybe like how some will prefer tube amps over solid state because the sound is more pleasing. Lets be clear, there will always be more expensive higher end dac/amps you can buy but the G6 could easily make you not even care, especially when you have had the chance to hear one for yourself and got it properly tuned. It's friendly with any headphone you can throw at it and is much like a spice rack giving you plenty of different ways to flavor your audio. You can pick one of these up for $80 on sale right now for a refurb https://us.creative.com/p/b-stock/sound-blasterx-g6-b-stock. These are some of the more expensive dac/amp combos I use as reference to compare: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MTNK3ZT/?tag=neogaf0e-20 and https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459. If I could only have one, I'd pick the G6 in a heartbeat and never look back but that is just me, I need my music to surround me, feel robust, alive and MUSICAL while still sounding pristine. It's great.

Pulse 3D headphones.....
For music playback I am not really impressed with these yet but I hope I get some time to game with them to see if they rock my world.

Edit: Pulse 3D Update - Tested using Demon's Souls
- I didn't really notice much of a difference in 3D positioning vs using any other headphone.
- Pulse 3D didn't sound much better while gaming.
- I do not have a large pool of wireless headphones to choose from but the ones I did try were the following:
Corsair Void Pro Wireless: these were far to quiet on the system to be useful as a wireless gaming headset for the PS5.
Creative Theater Air: These were wayyy better than the Pulse 3D and worked extremely well with the PS5 but they are double the price of the Pulse 3D so probably not the first choice for somebody on a budget. In some circumstances the S-XFI processing on this headset can be a little much, I found that I enjoyed it and it enhanced my immersion so I left it enabled. S-XFI basically gives sound a more 3D holographic effect, it's pretty snazzy but it can be complicated to get the sound just right as it requires a pretty precise photo of your ears to map them out, the quality of the 3D holographic effect is dependent on that scan. This is surprisingly hard to do on your own!
Dualsense can power 300ohm headset? I’m impressed. it’s a beast.

Top Bottom