• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile Options For PS5 - Headphones, DAC, Etc.

travisktl

Hey, guys! I just wanted to make a thread for this kind of stuff, so we can all chip in and discuss.

I should be getting the Pulse headset any day now, but I have a feeling they will not compare to my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I’ll make a comparison and post that up, but I will probably just end up using them for when I’m in a party with friends.

I have tried using the HD650’s with the DS4, and obviously they do not provide enough power for 300 ohm headphones. I’m sure the Dualsense will be the same case. What options for a DAC would you guys recommend for the PS5? I saw some people mentioning USB-C DAC on Reddit, but I haven’t looked into them enough.

Also, what setups are you guys planning on using with the PS5?

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Most probably I will first try my Sony WH1000-XM2. It is a good pair of Headphones I believe..
I see that the XM4’s are currently on sale and I thought about picking up a pair of them, but I read that you can’t connect them to your PS4 wirelessly so ps5 will probably be the same. I could just plug them into the dual sense, but I already have a pair of wired headphones (audio technica ad700) that I wouldn’t have to worry about charging. I’m also interested in the pulse 3D headset as it’s much cheaper than the XM4’s and you can use them wirelessly.
If I buy a tv and use that instead of my 4K monitor then I may just use the tv speakers, since as a glasses-wearer I’m not super fond of wearing headphones in the first place.
I also wish the ps5 still had the old-fashion analog audio output, as it would be really easy to just plug into my PC speakers like my ps3.

Last edited:

Eliciel

I see that the XM4’s are currently on sale and I thought about picking up a pair of them, but I read that you can’t connect them to your PS4 wirelessly so ps5 will probably be the same. I could just plug them into the dual sense, but I already have a pair of wired headphones (audio technica ad700) that I wouldn’t have to worry about charging. I’m also interested in the pulse 3D headset as it’s much cheaper than the XM4’s and you can use them wirelessly.
If I buy a tv and use that instead of my 4K monitor then I may just use the tv speakers, since as a glasses-wearer I’m not super fond of wearing headphones in the first place.
I also wish the ps5 still had the old-fashion analog audio output, as it be really easy to just plug into my speakers like my ps3.

You can always connect them with 3.5mm

Celcius

°Temp. member
Connect the speakers directly to the dual-sense? Hmm I hadn’t thought of that. It may be a little awkward having the cable plugged into the controller but it actually sounds like a good idea.

Eliciel

Connect the speakers directly to the dual-sense? Hmm I hadn’t thought of that. It may be a little awkward having the cable plugged into the controller but it actually sounds like a good idea.
Buy a longer cable so you don't get distracted or Limited by it, works really well

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I also wish the ps5 still had the old-fashion analog audio output, as it would be really easy to just plug into my PC speakers like my ps3.

Even if you got XM2s working wirelessly, the lag would be awful. They're just not designed for wireless gaming. Amazing commute headphones, though.

Eliciel

Even if you got XM2s working wirelessly, the lag would be awful. They're just not designed for wireless gaming. Amazing commute headphones, though.
Yeah this is what they were to me working in Sales (previous to Covid...) an incredible value as commute headphone.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have this amp for console, it works very well:

I got it recommended by gearslutz.com it's cheap but it get's the work done well : )

And for headphones:

182110.jpg

Super comfy and great warm sound.

And if you did not get the memo about headphones:

Buy 👏 AKG 👏

Serious super comfy headmount, great sound, wide range of what you need and fair prices.

And if you need for some reason mic, these babies are also good:
obrazek

Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2.Gen) - but also don't expect clarity, like those AKGs above.

THEAP99

Banned
I plan on using my hyper x alpha's as 3d audio should work with any headset and I hope it's really crisp and reviewed well this week.

i will buy the pulse headset if someone can confirm that the leather earpads can be switched out with some velour. i don't like leather

Zadom

I don’t really know anything about this subject. I currently use Bose QC35 ii plugged into PS4 controller. How big is the benefit for a DAC from console? Would you attach DAC to console then long wire to headphones or long wire to DAC? Sorry about dumb questions but, again know very little on this.

or like question above, DAC to controller?

Last edited:
Things have changed a lot now consoles no longer support optical out.

I'm hoping XsX and PS5 will both support USB DACs, however. If so, I've got a Schiit stack and Audeze LCD2-C ready and waiting. Otherwise I'll look into HDMI audio I suppose.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I just wanna know what audio outputs it supports

mechatak

Neo Member
I already have a setup which will transfer over to PS5.
Fosi Audio Q4 DAC
Philips SHP-9500 headphones
I don't do games with voice chat but if needed V-Moda Boompro would work well with this.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I’m planning on plugging into the console, but I guess so far, that doesn’t guarantee the console will even recognize a usb DAC as an audio source.

I found this one on Amazon, and it powers headphones up to 150 ohms. If the PS5 will be able to work this way, this might be a really good option.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KR3RF4H/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Any reason a receiver w/ headphone output won't do? Budget constraints?

Oh nice! I have the Scarlett 2i2 as well. Those don’t seem to power my headphones enough though. That might work better for something closer to 80 ohm.
you can always add an amp. ofc depends on what you want to do. my 2i2 is hooked to a PC with a USB switcher and a pair of monitors. if it works with ps5, it will be perfect for me. crossing my fingers.

Edit: alternatively, i saw people using hdmi splitter cable to send the audio to 2i2 line in. it will work for sure.

Last edited:

travisktl

So, it looks like Astro release this recently. They only list it working with their products, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with pretty much any type of dac. It’s just a simple adapter.

https://www.astrogaming.com/en-us/p...dmi-adapter-for-playstation-5.html#943-000449

Any reason a receiver w/ headphone output won't do? Budget constraints?
Nah. Not really any strict budget constraints. I have a Nakamichi 7.1.4 system. It’s a really nice budget atmos setup, and the receiver is built into the front soundbar. I’m really into the whole 3D audio side of things, so I’m planning on using my headphones 99% of the time, and was hoping to get a small setup for that. If you have some good recommendations for receivers though, I’m definitely open to checking them out!

Trogdor1123

Has there been an breakdowns on the quality of the new wireless headphones? I think they seem like a pretty good value on paper but obviously that only means so much.

Hey, guys! I just wanted to make a thread for this kind of stuff, so we can all chip in and discuss.

I should be getting the Pulse headset any day now, but I have a feeling they will not compare to my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. I’ll make a comparison and post that up, but I will probably just end up using them for when I’m in a party with friends.

I have tried using the HD650’s with the DS4, and obviously they do not provide enough power for 100 ohm headphones. I’m sure the Dualsense will be the same case. What options for a DAC would you guys recommend for the PS5? I saw some people mentioning USB-C DAC on Reddit, but I haven’t looked into them enough.

The hd650 are 300 ohm are they not? Anyway don't get a dac it's not necessary. Just get a 100$ topping headphone amp. Ds5 to amp amp to hd650. Topping makes great budget amps. My old topping powered hd600 fine and the battery lasted forever.

travisktl

The hd650 are 300 ohm are they not? Anyway don't get a dac it's not necessary. Just get a 100$ topping headphone amp. Ds5 to amp amp to hd650. Topping makes great budget amps. My old topping powered hd600 fine and the battery lasted forever.
You are correct!! I don’t know why I was saying 100 ohm.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll definitely be looking into that.

travisktl

So no sound through USB? Hmmm.. I hope Astro has thought about HDMI 2.1 passthrough when producing that adapter.
I checked out the blog post they made about this adapter, and they intentionally only made it HDMI 2.0. Apparently it would have costed twice as much to make it with 2.1, so they stuck with 2.0.

sandkiller

With PS4, i mostly use my Bose QC31 (bluetooth noise-cancelling) for 3 reasons: playing at night, fan noise and the great sound quality.

Although PS5 will definitely have an advantage regarding fan noise, i'll probably stick with the headphones for enhanced soumd quality.

FrankWza

So no sound through USB? Hmmm.. I hope Astro has thought about HDMI 2.1 passthrough when producing that adapter.
I checked out the blog post they made about this adapter, and they intentionally only made it HDMI 2.0. Apparently it would have costed twice as much to make it with 2.1, so they stuck with 2.0.

That was a garbage excuse. this adapter should be about $20 because you can get the same specs for that amount on Amazon. They’re pissed off because Sony is making tempest available to anyone with a set of headphones or headset and they make their markups on headsets. They do have nice mixamps though

Rambone

I have tried using the HD650’s with the DS4, and obviously they do not provide enough power for 100 ohm headphones. I’m sure the Dualsense will be the same case. What options for a DAC would you guys recommend for the PS5? I saw some people mentioning USB-C DAC on Reddit, but I haven’t looked into them enough.

I think problem number #1 is thinking the Pulse will be comparable to the HD650 or any quality/expensive headphone connected to a PC or one that has a decent dac/amp. Connected to a PS4 controller, it sounds just meh but def underpowered and def a waste of money if that is your primary use case for the headphone. The Pulse in my opinion will really shine when they are connected to your PS5 and letting the Tempest Audio solution work its magic in which case you have a blend of hardware/software magic making your $99 wireless headphone sound like its something punching way above its price class, but take away all that and all you have left is a pretty average sounding headphone. Connecting the Pulse to your computer, you will probably walk away disappointed as well since your computer does not have Tempest.

I did plug an HD650 into a PS5 controller connected to my PC and I was impressed that the headphone did get much louder vs the PS4 controller but it was still nothing special. As for what I will end up using with the PS5 console, that will largely depend on what Tempest can do. Lets say Pulse is crap from head to toe and tempest does not work out, then what I will end up falling back on is the following configuration which blew my mind with my PS4.

Amp/Dac: Sound Blaster G6

Headphone: Philips Fidelio X2HR

HDMI to Optical Audio Converter:

When I am lazy and do not want to deal with all the above, I will just plug the following earbuds into the controller that I have found I liked better than some of the more popular chi-fi buds I have from Tin Audio, KZ or Mee:

FrankWza

What options for a DAC would you guys recommend for the PS5? I saw some people mentioning USB-C DAC on Reddit,

If Dualsense had usb c audio pass through, it would be easier to use an amp that could drive any headphones and you’d also be able to split to the 3.5 input on the controller for mic support. Amps usually don’t play nice with mics or have pass through for 4 pole.Otherwise a usb c dac connected to the system itself shouldn’t offer anything that a standard USB dac would.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
My headset history has been plagued by cheap broken plastic it’s what the manufacturers wanted to keep you buying them, first generation where I won’t buy a headset.

Gamerasi

Buy Sennheiser tv headphones rs 175. Connect to the optical output of the TV. Dolby atmos on Xbox and Computer. Experience 3d sound with Tempest engine on Playstation 5.

travisktl

I think problem number #1 is thinking the Pulse will be comparable to the HD650 or any quality/expensive headphone connected to a PC or one that has a decent dac/amp. Connected to a PS4 controller, it sounds just meh but def underpowered and def a waste of money if that is your primary use case for the headphone. The Pulse in my opinion will really shine when they are connected to your PS5 and letting the Tempest Audio solution work its magic in which case you have a blend of hardware/software magic making your $99 wireless headphone sound like its something punching way above its price class, but take away all that and all you have left is a pretty average sounding headphone. Connecting the Pulse to your computer, you will probably walk away disappointed as well since your computer does not have Tempest.

I did plug an HD650 into a PS5 controller connected to my PC and I was impressed that the headphone did get much louder vs the PS4 controller but it was still nothing special. As for what I will end up using with the PS5 console, that will largely depend on what Tempest can do. Lets say Pulse is crap from head to toe and tempest does not work out, then what I will end up falling back on is the following configuration which blew my mind with my PS4.

Amp/Dac: Sound Blaster G6

Headphone: Philips Fidelio X2HR

HDMI to Optical Audio Converter:

When I am lazy and do not want to deal with all the above, I will just plug the following earbuds into the controller that I have found I liked better than some of the more popular chi-fi buds I have from Tin Audio, KZ or Mee:
Thanks for posting that amp and converter. I'm definitely going to look into that setup.

I know that the Pulse doesn't even compare to the HD650. It's just wishful thinking on my part hoping that the Pulse + Tempest Engine can come closer to that quality, with hardware and software optimization like you said.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
So, it looks like Astro release this recently. They only list it working with their products, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with pretty much any type of dac. It’s just a simple adapter.

https://www.astrogaming.com/en-us/p...dmi-adapter-for-playstation-5.html#943-000449

Nah. Not really any strict budget constraints. I have a Nakamichi 7.1.4 system. It’s a really nice budget atmos setup, and the receiver is built into the front soundbar. I’m really into the whole 3D audio side of things, so I’m planning on using my headphones 99% of the time, and was hoping to get a small setup for that. If you have some good recommendations for receivers though, I’m definitely open to checking them out!

Soundbars in general aren't 'audiophile' and I am willing to bet the internals don't output great quality sound. But, the best way to find out is to try it out yourself.

For gear: maybe start on the low-end, with a Schiit Modi & Magni combo. If you want a DAC & Amp in one, FiiO makes great entry-level gear (same for Schiit).

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
We don’t know if TEMPEST can be transported over ANY HDMI cable yet, they’ve specified that a USB connected device will get tempest OR something connected to the Dual Sense will.

When they say TEMPEST works with TVs then we’ll know it travels over HDMI.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hope the dac in controller is a bit better. I plan to still use my amazing, best, most comfortable koss porta pro

Top Bottom