• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile Options For PS5 - Headphones, DAC, Etc.

travisktl

Soundbars in general aren't 'audiophile' and I am willing to bet the internals don't output great quality sound. But, the best way to find out is to try it out yourself.

For gear: maybe start on the low-end, with a Schiit Modi & Magni combo. If you want a DAC & Amp in one, FiiO makes great entry-level gear (same for Schiit).
The whole system sounds surprisingly good for what it is, but I wouldn’t try to run headphones out of it.

I was looking at stuff from both of those companies this morning, so good to know I’m on the right track.

Rambone

Thanks for posting that amp and converter. I'm definitely going to look into that setup.

I know that the Pulse doesn't even compare to the HD650. It's just wishful thinking on my part hoping that the Pulse + Tempest Engine can come closer to that quality, with hardware and software optimization like you said.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised when the console releases. I think Tempest being able to be used through USB based devices and through the headphone port of the PS5 controller is going to be a game changer for many. I will actually be excited to test out 30 some low-end to mid-hi range headphones to see what works and doesn't work with the PS5 controller via PS5.

Rambone

I am comparing these with the 3D Pulse as I type. Using some flac files and 3D test videos. Both plugged in with a Vmoda mic. I also have a pair of Superlux HD668B I’ll try after

Excellent! I look forward to reading your thoughts, I suspect the X2's will come out on top. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Superlux since that is a pretty popular budget line. One of the best things I love about that HD668B model in particular is the wing design on it that is much like the Audio Technica Art series from many years ago (a and ad series 500,700,900, etc), so comfortable and doesn't jack up my hair.

FrankWza

Excellent! I look forward to reading your thoughts, I suspect the X2's will come out on top. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Superlux since that is a pretty popular budget line. One of the best things I love about that HD668B model in particular is the wing design on it that is much like the Audio Technica Art series from many years ago (a and ad series 500,700,900, etc), so comfortable and doesn't jack up my hair.

The x2 are my favorite all around headphones ive used. They’re a little heavy but the 668 is so lightweight. They have no business sounding as good as they do after switching to velour pads. Incredible soundfor the price. I just like the x2 for ability to take the vmoda without an adapter and overall build quality is so premium. So far so good with the pulse by the way. Nice soundstage for a closed set.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Sound BlasterX G6 + HD 650 will be great

This works awesome with all my consoles. I have a high end pair of open back and a high end pair of closed....both sound fantastic. Open backs are 400 impedance and closed back are 120 I think. The G6 has low and high impedance modes andit makes both headsets sound fantastic.

Also, this set has a mic in port as well in case you need that. For $129.99 usd in amazon it’s a great deal (also great for music).

vpance

We don’t know if TEMPEST can be transported over ANY HDMI cable yet, they’ve specified that a USB connected device will get tempest OR something connected to the Dual Sense will.

When they say TEMPEST works with TVs then we’ll know it travels over HDMI.

Tempest is not a sound format like Dolby or DTS. It’s just Sony’s internal hardware that creates 3D capable sound outputting to 2 channels (headphones, stereo speakers) at the moment.

jaysius

Banned
Tempest is not a sound format like Dolby or DTS. It’s just Sony’s internal hardware that creates 3D capable sound outputting to 2 channels (headphones, stereo speakers) at the moment.
They haven’t stated speakers at all.

Is bizarrely SPECIFIC

On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.

Headphone audio is the current gold standard for 3D Audio on PS5, as Mark Cerny mentioned in his “Road to PS5” talk in March. We’re also in the process of working on virtual surround sound through speakers that are built into TVs. Although TV speaker virtual surround sound won’t be available on launch day for PS5, it’s still a feature we are extremely excited about, and our engineers are hard at work on bringing it to PS5 in the future.

It specifically doesn’t mention anyway to get the tempest audio EXCEPT a direct connection to the console OR direct transmitted via the Dual Sense. I know it’s not an AUDIO FORMAT but stating this so explicitly is peculiar.

Last edited:

vpance

They haven’t stated speakers at all.

Is bizarrely SPECIFIC

It specifically doesn’t mention anyway to get the tempest audio EXCEPT a direct connection to the console OR direct transmitted via the Dual Sense. I know it’s not an AUDIO FORMAT but stating this so explicitly is peculiar.

Interesting. I guess since they're still working on getting Tempest working on speakers they figured there's no need to output it via HDMI yet. Otherwise people might have it accidentally enabled coming out their TV speakers/soundbar and it'll sound messed up because it's meant for headphones only.

Last edited:

FrankWza

The tempest engine isn’t. It’s on board on the PS5. Tempest 3d audio is their format though. Since they aren’t licensing audio from Dolby for games.

FrankWza

It uses usb audio out to the 3d pulses. So it will be usable over a usb dac. I’m wondering now if a usb dac spdif out to optical will work. Any mixamp users would need both USB ports in back to split mic to be able to mix though.

FrankWza

PS5 comes to Oman in 19th of November, so probably around 10-12th?

Ok cool. I’m testing them out now. So far they’re pretty good. I’ll probably keep them just for convenience. Definitely sound good for a $100 set. They’re a little uncomfortable for me because of the goggle strap. I may need to tie them up.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok cool. I’m testing them out now. So far they’re pretty good. I’ll probably keep them just for convenience. Definitely sound good for a $100 set. They’re a little uncomfortable for me because of the goggle strap. I may need to tie them up.

Well, I'm excited!

FrankWza

FYI, 3D pulse does not work on PS3 wirelessly. Pairs with the dongle but doesn’t produce sound. I have the headset companion app on PS3 and it did not recognize them. So all Sony headsets work on PS5 supposedly but not backward compatible to the systems.

Methos#1975

We don’t know if TEMPEST can be transported over ANY HDMI cable yet, they’ve specified that a USB connected device will get tempest OR something connected to the Dual Sense will.

When they say TEMPEST works with TVs then we’ll know it travels over HDMI.

I really wish there would be some clarification on this and rather we can get 3D audio from the PS5 on our existing Atmos and DTSX HT setups because imo, if we cannot then what exactly is the point of using Tempest over existing standards?

Pimpbaa

But what if this controller improved that quality

It would have to improve considerably since the DS4 could only drive very low impedance headphones to a decent level. I hope the PS5 allows you to freely select what type of audio you want to send to your TV since I like to use the headphone out on my TV AND I want to be able to use their 3D virtual surround through that (as in I hope it doesn't force audio intended for stereo tv speakers). A lot of PS4 games allow you to choose a headphone mode in settings, a lot don't. I recently tried playing through God of War again, which has a headphone mode in settings but is grayed out if using your TV's headphone out (devs should not be assuming you not using headphones just because you don't have any plugged into your DS4). I'm not sure what happens if you use bluetooth headphones connected to your TV.

FrankWza

No headphone would be good plugged straight into the controller no matter what it is!
I doubt it.
They'd have to be packing something pretty special especially with the battery. I don't see it.

it is better than DS4. The Dualsense audio was designed to deliver tempest 3d to everyone as conveniently as possible. As long the ohm is low enough there’s no reason most headphones won’t sound good. Most headphones are low impedance anyway. If it works well on your phone it will be fine for dualsense. Plus, with the mic built into the controller you can now possibly amp your setup and usethe dualsense for mic.

jaysius

Banned
I really wish there would be some clarification on this and rather we can get 3D audio from the PS5 on our existing Atmos and DTSX HT setups because imo, if we cannot then what exactly is the point of using Tempest over existing standards?

So far Tempest is a new evolving system, it’s a stereo virtualization technology like Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos for headphones(the main difference is that this uses HARDWARE to do the virtualization), if you have real surround sound Tempest at least for the forseeable future will do NOTHING for you. The only thing theyre promising in the near future is Tempest through tv speakers for those that don’t have even a sound bar, it’s ”poor man’s” surround sound(not really for poor peple because you need a $500 machine) for Headphones mainly and also TV Speakers later. Sony fanbois have twisted people up with this one thinking it’s something its not because they’ve been hauling random Sony headphone audio videos that they THINK are directly related to TEMPEST(but aren’t).

Tempest isn’t even an audiophile tech, almost all audiophiles hate simulated stereo solution, this would have to be pretty special to change that.

If you have a real AVR with speakers and Atmos or DTS:X you will always get BETTER than Tempest audio, as engineers already direct the channels according to the sources to the correct channel to create a 3D soundscape, the difference is Tempest is more “live” than a prerecorded track, which should make it sound more dynamic.

Project Acoustics on Serits S/X on the other hand is a tech that doesn’t virtualize stereo, it allows audio engineers to save time by ”ray tracing” sounds from surfaces creating a rich 3D textured audio environment, it also has a dedicated chip and will work on any setup.

Both of these are new tech, who knows how either will really turn out. BOTH require developers to support them to utilize the techs.

it is better than DS4. The Dualsense audio was designed to deliver tempest 3d to everyone as conveniently as possible. As long the ohm is low enough there’s no reason most headphones won’t sound good. Most headphones are low impedance anyway. If it works well on your phone it will be fine for dualsense. Plus, with the mic built into the controller you can now possibly amp your setup and usethe dualsense for mic.

A battery powered device will never supply enough power to properly deliver the power needed for high end headphones that require a ton of power.

As I’ve stated before it really looks like they don’t know how to transmit TEMPEST out of the machine to any other source besides a Dual Sense, a headphone amp might not work properly with it in the early days UNLESS it’s a USB one directly connected to it. It’s very possible that TEMPEST won’t transmit over HDMI to your AVR at least until they figure out the TV part. They’ve been STRANGELY specific about how to get TEMPEST out of the PS5.

Last edited:

FrankWza

So far Tempest is a new evolving system, it’s a stereo virtualization technology like Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos for headphones(the main difference is that this uses HARDWARE to do the virtualization), if you have real surround sound Tempest at least for the forseeable future will do NOTHING for you. The only thing theyre promising in the near future is Tempest through tv speakers for those that don’t have even a sound bar, it’s ”poor man’s” surround sound(not really for poor peple because you need a $500 machine) for Headphones mainly and also TV Speakers later. Sony fanbois have twisted people up with this one thinking it’s something its not because they’ve been hauling random Sony headphone audio videos that they THINK are directly related to TEMPEST(but aren’t).

Tempest isn’t even an audiophile tech, almost all audiophiles hate simulated stereo solution, this would have to be pretty special to change that.

If you have a real AVR with speakers and Atmos or DTS:X you will always get BETTER than Tempest audio, as engineers already direct the channels according to the sources to the correct channel to create a 3D soundscape, the difference is Tempest is more “live” than a prerecorded track, which should make it sound more dynamic.

Project Acoustics on Serits S/X on the other hand is a tech that doesn’t virtualize stereo, it allows audio engineers to save time by ”ray tracing” sounds from surfaces creating a rich 3D textured audio environment, it also has a dedicated chip and will work on any setup.

Both of these are new tech, who knows how either will really turn out. BOTH require developers to support them to utilize the techs.

A battery powered device will never supply enough power to properly deliver the power needed for high end headphones that require a ton of power.

As I’ve stated before it really looks like they don’t know how to transmit TEMPEST out of the machine to any other source besides a Dual Sense, a headphone amp might not work properly with it in the early days UNLESS it’s a USB one directly connected to it. It’s very possible that TEMPEST won’t transmit over HDMI to your AVR at least until they figure out the TV part. They’ve been STRANGELY specific about how to get TEMPEST out of the PS5.

I said low impedance. They I’ll work fine.

And amping worked with DS4, it will work with dualsense, th issue is, as always, the mic support since most amps dont pass mic

Tempest will work with ANY usb sound output. Either dongle for wireless with PlayStation headsets or usb dac with any via 3.5. It will output of hdmi and you receiver will process into neural x if capable.

jaysius

Banned
Tempest will work with ANY usb sound output. Either dongle for wireless with PlayStation headsets or usb dac with any via 3.5. It will output of hdmi and you receiver will process into neural x if capable.

Neural X is a DTS tech
DTS Neural:X, a mono signal for ceiling speakers or upfiring speakers
DTS Neural:X is the equivalent of the new Dolby Surround. Note: for certain receivers, DTS Neural:X post-processing cannot be applied to Dolby sources. Only PCM and DTS signals can benefit from DTS Neural:X remixing. Contrary to Dolby Sound, DTS Neutral:X can process incoming mono signals (1.0) and remix them for 7, 9 or 11 speakers, including ceiling or upfiring speakers. DTS Neural:X replaces DTS Neo and guarantees an audibly wider dynamic range.

You’re very confused about AVR audio it is confusing, the random DTS tech word you‘re looking for is DTS:X which works for headphones.

If the signal travels through your AVR and gets converted into DTS:X(possible) it’d be two virtualization techs, not tempest and it’d sound awful as you’d have two different techs on your audio.

Your best bet would be having the raw signal coming out of your AVR headphone jack to get TEMPEST if POSSSBILE.

The ONLY WAY to get tempest is as I‘ve stated now several times, they haven’t promised transmission over HDMI.

They‘re probably working on hdcp issues with tempest or how to send the data over HDMI right now, which is why SONY THEMSELVES have specified how to get TEMPEST AUDIO AT LAUNCH. WHICH IS:

1. Directly from the dual sense
  2. From a USB source DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE PS5

Last edited:

Phear

Serious question: Do i need the Pulse Headset to enjoy 3D Audio? Or will it be similar with any other headset? Because i love my beyerdynamics DT880 and can't see the Pulse Headset outperforming them in any way...

So if I understand it correctly there is no way to get the 3D Audio through HDMI?

I'm asking because I'm using an AV Receiver (Onkyo RZ810) and have my headphones connected to it (Sennheiser HD 650). It would be a shame if I can not use them with the PS5.

FrankWza

Neural X is a DTS tech

You’re very confused about AVR audio it is confusing
I said low impedance. They I’ll work fine.

And amping worked with DS4, it will work with dualsense, th issue is, as always, the mic support since most amps dont pass mic

, the random DTS tech word you‘re looking for is DTS:X which works for headphones.

If the signal travels through your AVR and gets converted into DTS:X(possible) it’d be two virtualization techs, not tempest and it’d sound awful as you’d have two different techs on your audio.

Your best bet would be having the raw signal coming out of your AVR headphone jack to get TEMPEST if POSSSBILE.

The ONLY WAY to get tempest is as I‘ve stated now several times, they haven’t promised transmission over HDMI.

They‘re probably working on hdcp issues with tempest or how to send the data over HDMI right now, which is why SONY THEMSELVES have specified how to get TEMPEST AUDIO AT LAUNCH. WHICH IS:

I said through hdmi.

jaysius

Banned
So if I understand it correctly there is no way to get the 3D Audio through HDMI?

I'm asking because I'm using an AV Receiver (Onkyo RZ810) and have my headphones connected to it (Sennheiser HD 650). It would be a shame if I can not use them with the PS5.
We don’t know this yet. I’m trying to state to people that don’t understand that this seems to be the case because of how explicitly Cerny and recently Sony has stated how to get it 3D audio out of the PS5.

Serious question: Do i need the Pulse Headset to enjoy 3D Audio? Or will it be similar with any other headset? Because i love my beyerdynamics DT880 and can't see the Pulse Headset outperforming them in any way...

Wow, those are a nice pair of headphones, TEMPEST(3D audio) will work on any pair of headphone.

Going from those to Pulse ones would be like paying someone to shit in your ears. Sony makes EXCELLENT headphones the PlayStation line is always awful on comfort and audio quality.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I said through hdmi.
I already stated you wouldn’t want DTS neural touching your tempest audio, it’d be DTS:X anyway(maybe a reading problem here) because those are TWO different virtualization technologies and they’d conflict and make the sound awful.

FrankWza

for now Sony hasn’t made their tempest 3d available to output over hdmi. If you have a receiver you canuse the receiver to process neural x for now. Plugging your headphones into the receiver probably won’t give youtempest 3d. You’ll need to use dualsense or a usb dac.

vpance

There should be nothing special about it. They can just send it as Dolby/DTS/LPCM, but they haven't done that probably because they're still tweaking it.

But the problem is it still won't use any height speakers. Maybe they'll patch in a new codec for Sony receivers or something.

FrankWza

I already stated you wouldn’t want DTS neural touching your tempest audio, it’d be DTS:X anyway(maybe a reading problem here) because those are TWO different virtualization technologies and they’d conflict and make the sound awful.

it’s not touching tempest audio. There is no tempest audio over hdmi yet. It’s UNTIL they release tempest audio over hdmi.

Optical port gives clean digital signal only. what you do with it makes all the difference. I plan to run it through following:

Chord Mojo ($600) for digital to analog conversion.

nJQwHsC.jpg

This high quality analog signal will be fed to amplifier, Burson Soloist SL ii ($500). It has huge soundstage, places every instrument, vocals, footsteps etc with absolute precision.

ej5iXCP.jpg

This signal is fed to best gaming hp (not exactly imo) Sennheiser HD700 ($999). This hp gives you positional accuracy to an inch. If game has orchestral music, you can tell which row is playing right now. You can experience ebb and flow, crecendoes of music. You will recognise accents of vocalists, every instrument, with correct timber and microdetail.

mhpJ3L5.jpg

By passing signal through HDMI, you are letting tv do the heavy lifting of digital to analog conversion and amplification. You would be lucky if they used $10 part for it. On top you are double amping via soundbar further distorting the signal.

If tempest engine is any good like they say, it deserves back end it deserves.

Quoting myself from another thread.

I will be using Chord Mojo> Burson Soloist sl mk ii > Sennheiser HD 700.

for now Sony hasn’t made their tempest 3d available to output over hdmi. If you have a receiver you canuse the receiver to process neural x for now. Plugging your headphones into the receiver probably won’t give youtempest 3d. You’ll need to use dualsense or a usb dac.

Thanks. I hope they will update it later.

travisktl

This is pretty much why I created this thread. For people that have nicer reference/audiophile level headphones. I'm wondering the same thing about my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. The DS4 couldn't power these near enough. The Dualsense might be better, but there's no way it's powerful enough to drive a pair of 300 ohm headphones. People have offered a lot of good options in this thread, but there's still a lot we don't know.

I'm going to try plugging them directly into the Dualsense anyways, but it's still unclear whether the PS5 will recognize a USB headphone amp or DAC as an audio source. It recognizes the Pulse because it's a dongle for a bluetooth device, but there's not enough info out there yet to specify if other usb audio devices will be recognized as they should be.

FrankWza

This is pretty much why I created this thread. For people that have nicer reference/audiophile level headphones. I'm wondering the same thing about my Sennheiser HD650 headphones. The DS4 couldn't power these near enough. The Dualsense might be better, but there's no way it's powerful enough to drive a pair of 300 ohm headphones. People have offered a lot of good options in this thread, but there's still a lot we don't know.

I'm going to try plugging them directly into the Dualsense anyways, but it's still unclear whether the PS5 will recognize a USB headphone amp or DAC as an audio source. It recognizes the Pulse because it's a dongle for a bluetooth device, but there's not enough info out there yet to specify if other usb audio devices will be recognized as they should be.

I think it’s safe to say that if your phone can power whatever headphones you try, the Dualsense can too. The 880 are probably great and have a great reputation but they’re higher impedance. Most headphones are much much lower and in the double digit range. As far as usb dac, Sony came out and said any usb headphones will work. If you have a headset with a split cable it will work with a usb dac or headphones plugged into the audio 3.5 input and possibly use the Dualsense mic or get an external mic and plug into dac. Astro came out with support for their amps and base stations over usb for PS5 so we know it supports audio and mic through usb. The adapter they released was for amps that couldn’t be made compatible. If you look at A50(edit A20 gen 2)gen 2, it only uses usb for audio. The mixamp pro tr as well and only needs the adapter for voice/surround mixing.

From the Sony blog:

On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.

From Astros blog:
PlayStation 5
  • A10 Headset
    • Gen 1 – Supports game sound and voice chat via the 3.5mm port on the PS5 Controller.
  • A20 Wireless
    • Gen 1 – Supports game sound and voice chat via USB. Requires HDMI Adapter for mixing.
    • Gen 2 – Requires an included USB transmitter to transmit game audio and voice chat.
  • A40 and A40 TR Headsets
    • Gen 1-4 – Supports game sound and voice chat via the 3.5mm port on the PS5 Controller.
  • MixAmp Pro TR
    • Gen 3 & Gen 4 – Supports game sound and voice chat via USB. Requires HDMI Adapter for mixing.
  • A50 Wireless + Base Station
    • Gen 3 & Gen 4 – Supports game sound and voice chat via USB. Requires HDMI Adapter for mixing.
For Surround Sound, the ASTRO A50 and MixAmp Pro TR can utilize Dolby Audio via the ASTRO hardware directly. The A10 and A40 headsets can receive PS5 3D Audio via the PS5 controller.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

I guess we will see, hoping you are right

Top Bottom