• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile Options For PS5 - Headphones, DAC, Etc.

Antelope

I’m trying to decide between the PC38X for ease of use and good audio or the new hd560s for a little more versatility. Not a fan of having cables everywhere, but I guess that’s the price of quality.

I’ve seen the G6 amp mentioned here a few times. Is it good? I looked at the Fulla 3 but it’s not much of a deal after importing and I’m not sure it will have the right USB standard for PS5.

Gonna throw my Astro A40+mixamp in the closet and use my preordered Pulse 3D. Might get Sony WH-1000XM4 later if it's worth it.
If you want ANC they worth it. If you don't need it there better headphones for price.
I doubt it.
They'd have to be packing something pretty special especially with the battery. I don't see it.
Decent DAC uses very little power.
it is better than DS4. The Dualsense audio was designed to deliver tempest 3d to everyone as conveniently as possible. As long the ohm is low enough there’s no reason most headphones won’t sound good. Most headphones are low impedance anyway. If it works well on your phone it will be fine for dualsense. Plus, with the mic built into the controller you can now possibly amp your setup and usethe dualsense for mic.
Some low ohm headphones still require decent power. So watch out for that.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I hope to be pleasantly surprised when the console releases. I think Tempest being able to be used through USB based devices and through the headphone port of the PS5 controller is going to be a game changer for many. I will actually be excited to test out 30 some low-end to mid-hi range headphones to see what works and doesn't work with the PS5 controller via PS5.

You are a gold mine! Can't wait for your feedback!

FrankWza

Some low ohm headphones still require decent power. So watch out for that.

yeah no doubt. But for the most part they should be fine. I’m thinking a small amp like a fiio a1 may be a nice addition this gen. If the dualsense mic is as good as they’re saying, you won’t need an amp with mic support so a small portable will do fine for some extra power and can widen things up.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
it is better than DS4. The Dualsense audio was designed to deliver tempest 3d to everyone as conveniently as possible. As long the ohm is low enough there’s no reason most headphones won’t sound good. Most headphones are low impedance anyway. If it works well on your phone it will be fine for dualsense. Plus, with the mic built into the controller you can now possibly amp your setup and usethe dualsense for mic.

DualSense has RealTek audio chip in it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They went all out. Can’t wait

Here you see the RealTek audio chip (crab logo), which is needed for haptic feedback as it's sound-based, which makes it easy to implement!

uk4Xz7il.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
first I’m seeing that it has an audio chip
I thought they might have. This controller is a steal at$69. Crazy amount of tech

Makes other controllers look extremely overpriced! Is the DS controller using Bluetooth or another wireless connection like wifi6?

Last edited:

FrankWza

Makes other controllers look extremely overpriced! Is the DS controller using Bluetooth or another wireless connection like wifi6?

there’s always discounts on the DS4 and most controllers. I wonder how much and how often thedualsense will be discounted?

not sure on the connection. I assumed it was Bluetooth.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
there’s always discounts on the DS4 and most controllers. I wonder how much and how often thedualsense will be discounted?

not sure on the connection. I assumed it was Bluetooth.

And if it's Bluetooth, is it gonna use LDAC? The best codec so far that could produce (reproduce) 990kbps audio? If so, then it's great news for XM4/3 owners.

Last edited:

Traxtech

I’m trying to decide between the PC38X for ease of use and good audio or the new hd560s for a little more versatility. Not a fan of having cables everywhere, but I guess that’s the price of quality.

I’ve seen the G6 amp mentioned here a few times. Is it good? I looked at the Fulla 3 but it’s not much of a deal after importing and I’m not sure it will have the right USB standard for PS5.

As the owner of both the 560s and the 38x aswell as the 58x, the 38x is waaaaaay better for gaming. 560s are too flat for games imo and the soundstage is tiny, 58x is better on that front too.

Analytical listening > 560s
Gaming > 38x
Music and gaming > 58x but 38x would pass with the velour pads as it brings it close to 58x territory

FrankWza

And if it's Bluetooth, is it gonna use LDAC? The best codec so far that could produce (reproduce) 990kbps audio? If so, then it's great news for XM4/3 owners.
That would be crazy. I wonder if that’s why the 3d pulse work with PS4 and not PS3? PS4 just had a big update. All headsets are compatible with PS5 but 3D pulse not with PS3. Maybe it too has a little extra in it?

Traxtech

As I’m using the 3D pulses I wish they had velour pads. I’m at the point where I want to start looking for replacement pads for them. So far it’s my biggest issue with them.

Is this due to the heat? I can't game on closed back non breathable pads myself because I run hot. Open back is fine with leather/pleather-esque pads since some heat can escape

Last edited:

FrankWza

Is this due to the heat? I can't game on closed back non breathable pads myself because I run hot. Open back is fine with leather/pleather-esque pads since some heat can escape

no, not so hot yet. Maybe a little more when used wirelessly. It’s just the comfort. I like big cushy velour pads and have swapped pads before because the difference is huge. On a
side note, although the 3D pulse are closed they have a pretty wide sound stage. I can’t figure out how. I think it may be the way they fit me but they’re not overly bassy either. They did a good job with these suckers.

Antelope

As the owner of both the 560s and the 38x aswell as the 58x, the 38x is waaaaaay better for gaming. 560s are too flat for games imo and the soundstage is tiny, 58x is better on that front too.

Analytical listening > 560s
Gaming > 38x
Music and gaming > 58x but 38x would pass with the velour pads as it brings it close to 58x territory

And sold. 38x it is. I was looking everywhere for a clean breakdown about the strengths of each set. I want something for gaming that I could also use for music on the side. Very much appreciated.

Oh and great timing, I think the drop is happening tomorrow. So maybe I’ll get them in a few weeks... I heard drop shipping can be rough.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
no, not so hot yet. Maybe a little more when used wirelessly. It’s just the comfort. I like big cushy velour pads and have swapped pads before because the difference is huge. On a
side note, although the 3D pulse are closed they have a pretty wide sound stage. I can’t figure out how. I think it may be the way they fit me but they’re not overly bassy either. They did a good job with these suckers.

You might replace them later:

61dzCidapVL._AC_SL1181_.jpg

61bu0CJa5mL._AC_SL1181_.jpg

81R3lo1UMYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

You'll find many aftermarket parts.

Traxtech

And sold. 38x it is. I was looking everywhere for a clean breakdown about the strengths of each set. I want something for gaming that I could also use for music on the side. Very much appreciated.

Oh and great timing, I think the drop is happening tomorrow. So maybe I’ll get them in a few weeks... I heard drop shipping can be rough.

You're very welcome, also another note that everyone has different ears so your results may vary.

So many reviews of the pc38x say the stock pads are way better than the velour and more bassy, yet I see it the complete opposite from back to back tests as well as a few other reviews. Atleast it comes with both sets so you can make your own mind up. You won't be disappointed :)

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Looks like I'll probably have to invest in a usb amp for my headphones if the dualsense amp can't cut it. But if the Dualsense can handle 32-ohm headphones then I'm good. That's within the low impedance range but my previous headphones were lower and took nearly all of the DS4 volume to my desired listening level (which is pretty low).

Bo_Hazem

Banned
first I’m seeing that it has an audio chip
I thought they might have. This controller is a steal at$69. Crazy amount of tech

Searched more about it, and it's official: Haptic Feedback uses sound effects according to Sony:

In before 'not audiophile because wireless', but I have preordered the Audeze Penrose https://www.audeze.com/products/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset.

These are planars and I believe similar/same drivers to the mobius. They are supposed to be lossless/low latency and come with a usb adapter for whichever console you choose. I was looking for higher-end sound but wanted to go wireless for my PC and PS5. For the preorder price these seemed like a great deal for planars. Not quite audiophile but exactly what I was looking for.

Rambone

Looks like I'll probably have to invest in a usb amp for my headphones if the dualsense amp can't cut it. But if the Dualsense can handle 32-ohm headphones then I'm good. That's within the low impedance range but my previous headphones were lower and took nearly all of the DS4 volume to my desired listening level (which is pretty low).

For you, I tested a Grado SR80e which is a 32-ohm impedance HP with the PS5 controller on my PC and it got plenty loud, after 47% volume was where it started getting uncomfortable to listen to.

Rambone

In before 'not audiophile because wireless', but I have preordered the Audeze Penrose https://www.audeze.com/products/penrose-wireless-planar-magnetic-headset.

These are planars and I believe similar/same drivers to the mobius. They are supposed to be lossless/low latency and come with a usb adapter for whichever console you choose. I was looking for higher-end sound but wanted to go wireless for my PC and PS5. For the preorder price these seemed like a great deal for planars. Not quite audiophile but exactly what I was looking for.

I am used to the mobius, you will not be disappointed at all with the Penrose.

Pimpbaa

For you, I tested a Grado SR80e which is a 32-ohm impedance HP with the PS5 controller on my PC and it got plenty loud, after 47% volume was where it started getting uncomfortable to listen to.

Excellent, exactly what I wanted to hear. I should be good to go.

Rambone

You made a good decision. The 38x is quite a bit of an improvement over the 37x and based on your needs as a gaming headset first would be a great fit while still being a very solid choice for music as its secondary usage. Having the older 37x in my 'collection' and having used it often, I am a big fan of the volume controls being located on the headphone itself along with being able to mute the mic by lifting the mic boom. The headphone is also very comfortable for extended usage.

Its borderline criminal that sony makes the best noise cancelation headphones and they are not compatible with ps4, would love them to release some Bluetooth dongle for wh1000 series that connects them to ps4/5

Phear

So... it's been a very long time since i was heavily invested in headphone tech... What's the drawback of plugging in a higher Ohm Headphone (250 Ohm) to a Dualsense 5? Will it be only listening volume or will i forfeit clarity, bass or anything else?

Phear

So... it's been a very long time since i was heavily invested in headphone tech... What's the drawback of plugging in a higher Ohm Headphone (250 Ohm) to a Dualsense 5? Will it be only listening volume or will i forfeit clarity, bass or anything else?

Can answer my own question... plugged in my DT880 Pro 250 Ohm to my Denon X3400, played a couple of songs. Afterwards, plugged them in to my Laptop, played teh same songs. complete difference. Way to sharp highs, lacking bass, muddled sound overall...

Guess i'll look into DT770 Pro 32 Ohm for my PS5 Gaming. Any other recommendations up to 250 €?

And a additional question: How will lower Impedance (say 32 Ohm) headphones sound change going from a laptop to AVR? WIll it be similar as with the 250 Ohm but the other way around?

Last edited:

FrankWza

And a additional question: How will lower Impedance (say 32 Ohm) headphones sound change going from a laptop to AVR? WIll it be similar as

I don’t think there’s a set list of changes. Too many variables. But usually better amping changes everything you’ve listed plus can open soundstage and make headphones more detailed as well. Those last 2 are key for gaming in order to have a wider area for footsteps and positioning.

FrankWza

TheX2hr should be fine too then. Would it be possible for you to compare levels to DS4 with the same setup?

Last edited:

Antelope

Can answer my own question... plugged in my DT880 Pro 250 Ohm to my Denon X3400, played a couple of songs. Afterwards, plugged them in to my Laptop, played teh same songs. complete difference. Way to sharp highs, lacking bass, muddled sound overall...

Guess i'll look into DT770 Pro 32 Ohm for my PS5 Gaming. Any other recommendations up to 250 €?

And a additional question: How will lower Impedance (say 32 Ohm) headphones sound change going from a laptop to AVR? WIll it be similar as with the 250 Ohm but the other way around?

I’ve seen a lot of people recommended the Beyerdynamic Tygr 300r for gaming. It’s 32 Ohm. You have to order it on their website.

You're very welcome, also another note that everyone has different ears so your results may vary.

So many reviews of the pc38x say the stock pads are way better than the velour and more bassy, yet I see it the complete opposite from back to back tests as well as a few other reviews. Atleast it comes with both sets so you can make your own mind up. You won't be disappointed :)
You made a good decision. The 38x is quite a bit of an improvement over the 37x and based on your needs as a gaming headset first would be a great fit while still being a very solid choice for music as its secondary usage. Having the older 37x in my 'collection' and having used it often, I am a big fan of the volume controls being located on the headphone itself along with being able to mute the mic by lifting the mic boom. The headphone is also very comfortable for extended usage.

I will probably spend more time listening to music than gaming, but when I’m working I’m less focused on the sound quality. I just want it to be reasonably good....and currently I’m using the stock apple EarPods.

It’s quality while gaming that I want. These seem like a good all round option, especially for console. Easy to drive, open back, with an easy to mute mic and quick access volume makes it way easier for me to deal with family stuff. Kids inevitably wake up when I’m about to beat a raid boss or when that Souls boss is down to a sliver of health. As you get older, plug and play starts to matter a lot more than raw quality. I’m sure there are better headphones, but if I have to mess around with amps and wires all over the the living room I am less likely to use it.

Anyway, thanks again for helping me make my decision. I did a ton of research, I just needed feedback from real people to help me decide.

Rambone

Without a PS5 to test what Tempest will do to the audio to enhance, with the PS5 controller connected to a PC, a 250-300 Ohm HP will require the volume to be cranked close to the 100% mark to have a 'pleasurable' listening experience. The clarity and bass presence is most certainly dulled, this is immediately noticeable. I would not purchase this range of headphones strictly for use with the PS5 controller until the PS5 hardware is released and we can see how Tempest helps to salvage the sound quality. I think of Tempest like Creative Labs S-XFI Technology where it can take a mediocre sounding headphone and turn it into something it has no right sounding as good as it does through its sound processing. This could help in this situation but is yet to be seen. I think the issue will still remain however where the volume will need to be cranked up but again this will depend again on what the Sony Hardware will do.

Rambone

TheX2hr should be fine too then. Would it be possible for you to compare levels to DS4 with the same setup?

I did not have my PC working with the PS4 controller through its Audio Port however when connecting the X2HR to the PS4 itself my volume would need to be around 85% to enjoy the sound. On my PC connected to the PS5 controller 50% was the sweet spot for me, the HP could get much louder the further up I go which there was a substantial difference vs the PS4 direct via controller.

FrankWza

I did not have my PC working with the PS4 controller through its Audio Port however when connecting the X2HR to the PS4 itself my volume would need to be around 85% to enjoy the sound. On my PC connected to the PS5 controller 50% was the sweet spot for me, the HP could get much louder the further up I go which there was a substantial difference vs the PS4 direct via controller.

i guess it’s safe to say it’s a good amountmore powerful than DS4 and should be able to drive low impedance headphones for the most part?

Rambone

i guess it’s safe to say it’s a good amountmore powerful than DS4 and should be able to drive low impedance headphones for the most part?

That is correct, the power was much better than what we have on DS4. Low impedance headphones in the 32ohm range were not a problem, 64 ohms and higher we started to hit the volume ceiling but it was still plenty loud however the more ohms we added the sound quality started suffering.

FrankWza

That is correct, the power was much better than what we have on DS4. Low impedance headphones in the 32ohm range were not a problem, 64 ohms and higher we started to hit the volume ceiling but it was still plenty loud however the more ohms we added the sound quality started suffering.

awesome. Thanks so much for the work. Sony does it again. Another box checked. Even the small details

Rambone

The Pulse 3D headphones just arrived today.

- PC users or those who might already have a good pair of headphones might likely pass on this HP for music playback. I was not immediately swayed. So if you already have a decent budget headphone it's probably not going to replace it on your PC. I haven't had time for proper gaming sessions but was testing via wired and wireless. I'll have more time as the week goes on for actual gaming.
- Connected the headset to a dac/amp combo that is the equivalent of a Dragonfly Red (which should simulate an above average audio configuration that requires no EQ or additional setup) the headset in some areas sounded a bit cleaner but overall quality was still lacking and there was this annoying farty low-end reverb.
- I directly wired the headset to a Creative G6 to emulate what I thought Tempest Audio might sound like and music playback and sound quality was remarkedly improved.
- I connected the headset to my PS4, music playback was more or less the same experience when connected to my PC. It might have been my imagination but music playback sounded slightly improved but this could be a difference in the volume level I was listening at. I didn't have much time to do any gaming sessions. I did fire up Gensin Impact for a few minutes since I couldn't make my mind up on what to jump into quickly, pretty average sounding, def need to spend more time with it.

Connecting this headset to my Creative G6 and enabling all kinds of sound optimizations really turned this headset around. I assume that this headset was built with Tempest in mind and based on my results with the G6 I can see why people who have already previewed it with a PS5 have had nothing but good things to say. One last comment, the material on this headphones pads will probably deteriorate fast if you have oily skin, so make sure to wipe it down after use to keep it from falling apart on you.

Last edited:

FrankWza

good stuff. I think a lot comes down to fit too. How did you find the strap? It’s a little uncomfortable for me on top of my head. Your description makes it sound like the loose fit I wish they had for me. What did you think of the soundstage? Sounds more open than a closed back usually does to me.

Rambone

good stuff. I think a lot comes down to fit too. How did you find the strap? It’s a little uncomfortable for me on top of my head. Your description makes it sound like the loose fit I wish they had for me. What did you think of the soundstage? Sounds more open than a closed back usually does to me.

I didn't really notice the strap too much, I will have to see if it becomes a problem after a few hours of use as I feel like the top of my head is a bit more sensitive to tight fitting straps or top heavy pads. What really surprised me with this HP was the earcups/pads, I thought for sure they would be sitting on my ear and causing discomfort like an on-ear but these actually got my entire ear into them without any effort and feel pretty comfortable. The sound stage was pretty good for a closed back I thought, it had a bit of air in there, the more I keep listening to this headset the more I am warming up to it but they sound stupidly good with the Creative G6, just wish they sounded like this over the wireless dongle or without the G6.

Last edited:

Phear

I didn't really notice the strap too much, I will have to see if it becomes a problem after a few hours of use as I feel like the top of my head is a bit more sensitive to tight fitting straps or top heavy pads. What really surprised me with this HP was the earcups/pads, I thought for sure they would be sitting on my ear and causing discomfort like an on-ear but these actually got my entire ear into them without any effort and feel pretty comfortable. The sound stage was pretty good for a closed back I thought, it had a bit of air in there, the more I keep listening to this headset the more I am warming up to it but they sound stupidly good with the Creative G6, just wish they sounded like this over the wireless dongle or without the G6.

Which Cans have you been using and enjoying before?

Rambone

Which Cans have you been using and enjoying before?

I am a hoarder of headphones and have 2 dozen more but I have been rotating between a Hifiman Sundara, Philips X2HR, Creative S-XFI Theater and Meze 99 Noir currently. The Meze 99' with 99 classic pads excites me the most, followed up by the X2HR and then Sundara.

JellyDonut

Neo Member

- PC users or those who might already have a good pair of headphones might likely pass on this HP for music playback. I was not immediately swayed. So if you already have a decent budget headphone it's probably not going to replace it on your PC. I haven't had time for proper gaming sessions but was testing via wired and wireless. I'll have more time as the week goes on for actual gaming.
- Connected the headset to a dac/amp combo that is the equivalent of a Dragonfly Red (which should simulate an above average audio configuration that requires no EQ or additional setup) the headset in some areas sounded a bit cleaner but overall quality was still lacking and there was this annoying farty low-end reverb.
- I directly wired the headset to a Creative G6 to emulate what I thought Tempest Audio might sound like and music playback and sound quality was remarkedly improved.
- I connected the headset to my PS4, music playback was more or less the same experience when connected to my PC. It might have been my imagination but music playback sounded slightly improved but this could be a difference in the volume level I was listening at. I didn't have much time to do any gaming sessions. I did fire up Gensin Impact for a few minutes since I couldn't make my mind up on what to jump into quickly, pretty average sounding, def need to spend more time with it.

Connecting this headset to my Creative G6 and enabling all kinds of sound optimizations really turned this headset around. I assume that this headset was built with Tempest in mind and based on my results with the G6 I can see why people who have already previewed it with a PS5 have had nothing but good things to say. One last comment, the material on this headphones pads will probably deteriorate fast if you have oily skin, so make sure to wipe it down after use to keep it from falling apart on you.

Thanks for the impression. How sturdy does the Pulse feel? I had problems with my PS4 launch window Gold headset falling apart.

FrankWza

I didn't really notice the strap too much, I will have to see if it becomes a problem after a few hours of use as I feel like the top of my head is a bit more sensitive to tight fitting straps or top heavy pads.

That’s the issue with gaming headsets and why using your own is usually a better choice. Even if you find a pair that sound good and have great features the fit can still make or break them. I’m considering unscrewing the strap if I can’t get it to be comfortable because I don’t see it breaking in. I tried pulling them back with ties and I’ll see if that makes it less annoying. It’s much tighter than the X2hr which has a similar style but also has padding.

Rambone

Thanks for the impression. How sturdy does the Pulse feel? I had problems with my PS4 launch window Gold headset falling apart.
It feels sturdy enough and super light weight, I don't think I will break it anytime soon by rolling over on it in bed or having it snap on me by removing it on and off from my head. If this thing was going to be stuffed inside of a backpack naked with books and other such items I wouldn't do that, to any head phone, so I'd recommend a case for transport if that is your plan.

Top Bottom