• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophile Options For PS5 - Headphones, DAC, Etc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So Platinum audio quality is better than pulse 3d right ?

Also can u connect the platinum one to usb in front the console ? So directly wired to console instead of controller ?

You have the dongle, and it only needs USB 2.0 connection for lossless 2.4GHz. So it's safe to say yes. PS4 is even supporting PS3 headsets like original Pulse headset. All PS4 headset should be supported.

And for sound quality, I really don't know, but Pulse 3D has 40mm drivers and Platinum has 50mm. Not always an indication of better sound, as 1000XM4 is 40mm but of course premium tech behind it. I still think the PS Platinum will have better sound overall though, only thing I wanna know is if it's as accurate (locality), but I think it's accurate because it was using half-assed 3D audio for Uncharted 4 and other games:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Seems like low volume problem is a trend with wireless headsets, but Pulse 3D is perfectly loud at 100% or sometimes have to push it to 90%.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I have this amp for console, it works very well:

I got it recommended by gearslutz.com it's cheap but it get's the work done well : )

And for headphones:

182110.jpg

Super comfy and great warm sound.

And if you did not get the memo about headphones:

Buy 👏 AKG 👏

Serious super comfy headmount, great sound, wide range of what you need and fair prices.

And if you need for some reason mic, these babies are also good:
obrazek

Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2.Gen) - but also don't expect clarity, like those AKGs above.
Got a link of your personal picks for a mid tier price set of cans brother?

Got to say the K701/702s look snazzy although the K550s also look enticing.

Last edited:

RealGhost

Neo Member
I have a question for Ifi Zen dac signature drop. I know they have been out of stock but this could potentially be the best sound setup you can get for the price. I was thinking there is an 3.5mm input on the back of the Zen dac signature, what If you used that by directly connecting that to the controller? That would ultimately output balanced audio which is awesome. What do you think, want to know your thoughts. FrankWza FrankWza

FrankWza

I have a question for Ifi Zen dac signature drop. I know they have been out of stock but this could potentially be the best sound setup you can get for the price. I was thinking there is an 3.5mm input on the back of the Zen dac signature, what If you used that by directly connecting that to the controller? That would ultimately output balanced audio which is awesome. What do you think, want to know your thoughts. FrankWza FrankWza

No that’s not what I had in mind when I mentioned connecting directly to the controller. You would connect that amp as intended. I mentioned a portable amp between the controller and headphones/headset. Keeps tempest active as well as opens up and reduces muffled sound.
The drop amp has VSS? I don’t know if it does and I don’t know how you would get SS or 3D audio from that since it only connects via optical and not USB so no tempest

RealGhost

Neo Member
No that’s not what I had in mind when I mentioned connecting directly to the controller. You would connect that amp as intended. I mentioned a portable amp between the controller and headphones/headset. Keeps tempest active as well as opens up and reduces muffled sound.
The drop amp has VSS? I don’t know if it does and I don’t know how you would get SS or 3D audio from that since it only connects via optical and not USB so no tempest
The portable system isn't gonna be able to connect to pc though right?
This picture that I'm sharing with you is from a zen can that is a non signature version, that 2 symbol indicates a 3.5mm input, so supposably if I connect my dual sense would that work.

FrankWza

The portable system isn't gonna be able to connect to pc though right?
This picture that I'm sharing with you is from a zen can that is a non signature version, that 2 symbol indicates a 3.5mm input, so supposably if I connect my dual sense would that work.
Depends on the amp. Some of them act as a VSS processor when connected to PC but only act as an amp when used as portable. In that case, you would get what you’re looking for by getting better sound from dualsense, keeping tempest for that, then also having a VSS processor for your PC.
Yeah but the problem there is you wanted tempest. You’re basically just rerouting the signal from the controller. I don’t know how that would sound. I think it’s way too complicated of a setup.
I dont think you can see the pic for the zen can, here an image link https://ibb.co/DKn5Mv0

RealGhost

Neo Member
Depends on the amp. Some of them act as a VSS processor when connected to PC but only act as an amp when used as portable. In that case, you would get what you’re looking for by getting better sound from dualsense, keeping tempest for that, then also having a VSS processor for your PC.
Yeah but the problem there is you wanted tempest. You’re basically just rerouting the signal from the controller. I don’t know how that would sound. I think it’s way too complicated of a setup.
Hmm, I get what you mean, that setup would have not dac connected to the ps5, it will be using on board dac from the dual sense but it will be able to utilize the amp functionality, Hmm, I'm thinking of going with that and testing it out and see if it works, Ik the USB connection will work with the pc, and the 3.5mm for the ps5. Im also waiting on someone that has a Ps5 and a zen can/dac combo, he hasn't responded yet about the usability of the 3.5 mm input

FrankWza

Hmm, I get what you mean, that setup would have not dac connected to the ps5, it will be using on board dac from the dual sense but it will be able to utilize the amp functionality, Hmm, I'm thinking of going with that and testing it out and see if it works, Ik the USB connection will work with the pc, and the 3.5mm for the ps5. Im also waiting on someone that has a Ps5 and a zen can/dac combo, he hasn't responded yet about the usability of the 3.5 mm input

yeah so, if you had say, the G6. You could connect it to PC for VSS. Then when you’re using it on PS5 you would just amp the Dualsense output and VsS from the G6 would be disabled. I don’t know if that possible with G6, just using it as an example. It’s possible you Pc would need to be off or you’d need to get power for the ampfrom a USB wall adapter. But something like that. Then, if that doesn’t work you could always try a USB splitter that would have you be connected to the Ps5 and PC simultaneously. I think something like the G6 might be your best bet right now. Seems to work with PS5 and it’s inexpensive and there’s a few things you can try for your setup.

RealGhost

Neo Member
yeah so, if you had say, the G6. You could connect it to PC for VSS. Then when you’re using it on PS5 you would just amp the Dualsense output and VsS from the G6 would be disabled. I don’t know if that possible with G6, just using it as an example. It’s possible you Pc would need to be off or you’d need to get power for the ampfrom a USB wall adapter. But something like that. Then, if that doesn’t work you could always try a USB splitter that would have you be connected to the Ps5 and PC simultaneously. I think something like the G6 might be your best bet right now. Seems to work with PS5 and it’s inexpensive and there’s a few things you can try for your setup.
So you are saying, instead of spending all that much, I could use a Usb switch and connect it to the G6 for the output that would go to both console and pc and whatever I'm using at the time, I would change the switch, correct? But I heard complaints about the G6 not working too well with the tempest audio because of the processing in some reddit posts. Btw, I don't know what is VSS, sounds like a word for internal processing within the G6 blaster.

RealGhost

Neo Member
Does it have a way to turn off its processing? If it’s staying on and mixing with tempest that may be why it isn’t playing well.

Sorry. Virtual Surround Sound
Not your fault that I don't know that, and ohh, that sounds immersive too, does it have dolby atmos too? So I'm guessing you need to turn off VSS when you have your G6 connected to the ps5.

RealGhost

Neo Member
I got these today without doing any in-depth research. Fingers crossed they don't suck.

I mean most gaming headphones are most likely to run with the ps5 because they were most likely compatible with the ps4 unlike just headphones. I think you should be good with that set of headset

FrankWza

Not your fault that I don't know that, and ohh, that sounds immersive too, does it have dolby atmos too? So I'm guessing you need to turn off VSS when you have your G6 connected to the ps5.
Depends on the source. Sony has tempest, xb has atmos. Some, like G6 do 7.1. They’re all vss.
I got these today without doing any in-depth research. Fingers crossed they don't suck.

Check with iamvin on that. I think they require an update that hasn’t been released.

RealGhost

Neo Member
Depends on the source. Sony has tempest, xb has atmos. Some, like G6 do 7.1. They’re all vss.

Check with iamvin on that. I think they require an update that hasn’t been released.
I've decided I will go with the jds lab el dac 2 and el amp 2, 1 time investment.

RealGhost

Neo Member

Before I make that jump, you know how you can downgrade the firmware of the jds lab to UAC 1, can you upgrade it to UAC 2?

FrankWza

I've decided I will go with the jds lab el dac 2 and el amp 2, 1 time investment.
Looks like a serious stack. Should sound great.
Before I make that jump, you know how you can downgrade the firmware of the jds lab to UAC 1, can you upgrade it to UAC 2?
No clue. Maybe someone else here can help with that or head-fi? So you’re needing to downgrade the ed2 in order to make it Ps5 compatible? Have you seen if anyone did and used it on Ps5? Good results?

RealGhost

Neo Member
Looks like a serious stack. Should sound great.

No clue. Maybe someone else here can help with that or head-fi? So you’re needing to downgrade the ed2 in order to make it Ps5 compatible? Have you seen if anyone did and used it on Ps5? Good results?
I have heard awesome results from it but its an expensive route which should keep me future proof because of the ports and the performance of it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Anyone tried Koss porta pro? These are my go to headphones. Where great on ps4 just a tiny bit too quiet

This is one problem with some wireless headsets, when they are so good they might require more power. So connecting to DS might be underwhelming for some of them in terms of volume. Strangely though some are as well not loud enough even via 2.4GHz dongles, which is strange. The good thing I found about the Pulse 3D it's the same wirelessly or turned off and used directly via DualSense.

Those are premium, but not sure about the amp if it'll be compatible. the 7P and 7X are compatible, especially 7X with the dongle seems to be compatible with everything. Maybe give it a try with a cable on DS later when you get it as you will get 3D audio but not sure if the volume will be high enough if they require more juice.

Last edited:

iamvin22

Industry Verified

they suck. volume is to low and there's no 3d audio. it needs to get updated. i have them.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
they say it is. one thing to increase the volume is create your own equalizer and max out all of it

Have you tried it wired via DualSense? Because it creates 3D audio into 2.0 so you can have 3D audio that way. Would love to get more feedback on the matter, but I guarantee you it'll 100% work but not sure about the volume.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Have you tried it wired via DualSense? Because it creates 3D audio into 2.0 so you can have 3D audio that way. Would love to get more feedback on the matter, but I guarantee you it'll 100% work but not sure about the volume.

Not yet. I've had friends and colleges tell me the same thing.

they suck. volume is to low and there's no 3d audio. it needs to get updated. i have them.
You weren't lying when you said that they suck. I just received my pair and the knob on transmitter is broken. I can't change any settings. Will return later today.

H4r4kiri

Quick questions to the guys who know their stuff :)

Is it just me or does putting in Headsets into the Dualsense makes them sound a lot worse than on the Dualshock 4?

Bot my Marshall Major 2 and my Bose QC 35 II sound a lot worse than on the DS4. Especially the Major 2 are missing all the bass and clearity which was provided on the Dualshock.

Is the DAC worse? What might be the problem ?

RealGhost

Neo Member

Is it just me or does putting in Headsets into the Dualsense makes them sound a lot worse than on the Dualshock 4?

Bot my Marshall Major 2 and my Bose QC 35 II sound a lot worse than on the DS4. Especially the Major 2 are missing all the bass and clearity which was provided on the Dualshock.

IDK, I've heard people say the sounds has been better than the dual sense and personally from my experience its way better too, I'm using earbuds atm and there is a day and night difference from dualshock 4 to dualsense. Defective controller?

FrankWza

which games/games are you playing? Did you tryswitching tempest on and off and notice any difference?

Last edited:

FrankWza

Played Astro, Demons Souls, some PS4 Games like Dark Souls, Crash Bandicoot and watched some Youtube Videos.

Demons is your best bet for testing out tempest through the headphones. I would turn it off for the rest. But if it doesn’t sound good with demons for either set you have try plugging it in to usb dac and see if it sounds better

H4r4kiri

Demons is your best bet for testing out tempest through the headphones. I would turn it off for the rest. But if it doesn’t sound good with demons for either set you have try plugging it in to usb dac and see if it sounds better
Turning off "3d Audio" really makes it better on both sets. Not perfekt, but it works I guess. Especially listening to music is much better this way.

RealGhost

Neo Member
btw, the soundblaster doesn't do 3d audio from the people that Im talking too, now I'm concerned if the El Stack will do 3d audio or not..

FrankWza

btw, the soundblaster doesn't do 3d audio from the people that Im talking too, now I'm concerned if the El Stack will do 3d audio or not..

I assumed you knew that about the el and were hoping to get tempest over usb for ps5 and you had other ideas for processing on pc.
The soundblaster should give you tempest from ps5 if you turn off processing and just pass through audio and 7.1 on pc.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No body tried WH-1000XM4(3) through DS? Man, Pulse 3D is extremely better than Astro A40+Mixamp. I'm using it for pc through TV's 3.5 aux (if directly from PC it sounds like shit, any headphone in that matter), and man music is so clear and punchy! Especially on Watch Dogs: Legion with 3D audio I stop and enjoy the locality or the music inside the car. Also when you enter a party the bass punch gives you the feel that you are 100% there!

I wanna know if 1000XM4 works good with good volume I would set my eyes on it as you can connected it with bluetooth to TV and should work perfectly wired on DS but only volume is my concern.

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
I have this amp for console, it works very well:

I got it recommended by gearslutz.com it's cheap but it get's the work done well : )

And for headphones:

182110.jpg

Super comfy and great warm sound.

And if you did not get the memo about headphones:

Buy 👏 AKG 👏

Serious super comfy headmount, great sound, wide range of what you need and fair prices.

And if you need for some reason mic, these babies are also good:
obrazek

Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2.Gen) - but also don't expect clarity, like those AKGs above.

Do you run an astro mixamp in your setup?

The AKG Q701s are nice headphones, I had and sold them. But I was only driving them with the astromixamp and thought that I wasn't getting the full potential. But since last week I have been looking at getting another set of pure headphones just for solo gaming, and I would like to know how people are getting on with a mixamp+DAC+headphone setup.

You are recommending open backs headphones and closed back headset. Here an open back headset as well.

I have the Audiotechnica ATH ADG1Xs. https://www.audio-technica.com/en-gb/ath-adg1x Still pricey, I paid 300 for mine, but they are good

FrankWza

How can I? It's using fiber optic.

Sorry, I thought I posted in here earlier but it’s possible to use spdif to go out from usb and keep tempest. Not all work. I had to order a couple because the 2 I had wouldn’t work initially and then then 1 of the 2 only worked from the front USB port. Depending on the dac you use, you would need to turn off all processing and same as the mixamp as well. But you keep chat and can swap between tempest and mixamp vss on the fly.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
Does anyone have an opinion in which is better and why?

Steel Series arctis 7p or the turtle beach stealth 700 gen 2?

also does 700 gen 2 support ps5 tempest audio, 3d audio etc?

thanks

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sorry, I thought I posted in here earlier but it’s possible to use spdif to go out from usb and keep tempest. Not all work. I had to order a couple because the 2 I had wouldn’t work initially and then then 1 of the 2 only worked from the front USB port. Depending on the dac you use, you would need to turn off all processing and same as the mixamp as well. But you keep chat and can swap between tempest and mixamp vss on the fly.

Yesterday Pulse 3D battery died after like 12 hours of gaming, but then connected to DualSense the volume, quality remains similar. I'm happy with it as it is, and Astro A40+mixamp is kinda useless. Wireless is nice indeed.

FrankWza

Does anyone have an opinion in which is better and why?

Steel Series arctis 7p or the turtle beach stealth 700 gen 2?

also does 700 gen 2 support ps5 tempest audio, 3d audio etc?

thanks

The TB 700 has a usb dongle, so yes it will work with tempest. The question is how well. Even the Penrose has issues at this point and that is a $300 headset made for PS5.

FrankWza

Do you run an astro mixamp in your setup?

The AKG Q701s are nice headphones, I had and sold them. But I was only driving them with the astromixamp and thought that I wasn't getting the full potential. But since last week I have been looking at getting another set of pure headphones just for solo gaming, and I would like to know how people are getting on with a mixamp+DAC+headphone setup.

I’m currently running this. But I’m using a dac with optical out to go out to mixamp. I ordered One after I was able to get a spdif compatible sound card I had working. Gives you tempest or mixamp vss whenever you want to switch. Great so far.

RealGhost

Neo Member
I’m currently running this. But I’m using a dac with optical out to go out to mixamp. I ordered One after I was able to get a spdif compatible sound card I had working. Gives you tempest or mixamp vss whenever you want to switch. Great so far.
So an update after a few weeks, I got the Hifi man Sundara with the G blaster, I have the G6 blaster hooked up with the ps5 and the system is always at restmode to power the amp, it takes about 0.5 W so its doesn't bother me, The amp/dac has 3d audio and it sound awesome, and for the pc setup I have a optical cable going from my pc to a TOSlink 2 way output for sound, 1 for pc, 2nd for ps3. And from the Toslink adapter to my G6 which was hooked up with the Sundara. But atm, I'm in a process of getting them returned because the Sundara's aren't that sturdy, The side adjustments are already wobbly after 5 days of use. And I just returned them today to UPS and ordered instead a DT 1990 pro. Yeah. Again thanks for all the info, My sound system is complete, I can listen to ps5 and pc at the same time.

Top Bottom