• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiophiles, help!

makaveli60

As Neogaf have already helped me in buying a new TV I thought some people could also help me in buying an accompanying sound bar for my XG90 as it really needs one.

I'm not looking for some serious thing, I just want to get a decent one that improves the sound, since while the TV has an excellent picture, the sound is worse than it was on my old TV.

For the price I want to spend I found two options:

Or

My logical assumption is that the LG would be the better choice, as it has a separate sub woofer, but after how difficult was it to find the best TV for my needs, I'm not sure if this is so simple as it seems either.

So dear fellow gaffers, please help me, which would be the better option between the above soundbars?

PS: I love bass

BigBooper

Sad to hear that. So the Sony would be the better choice?
I don't know about that. Only telling what I had experience with. I actually had an LG soundbar with wireless sub and the sub signal was constantly cutting out. Imagine watching an intense movie scene when all the low end sound suddenly goes mute for a minute.

It's reception was so bad, the sub had to be twisted in a particular direction to have the most direct line of sight between the transmitter and receiver.

If I were to blind pick without testing them, I'd get the Sony just to avoid that.

Dark Star

Whatever you do, make sure you get a nice subwoofer to pair with it. You'll never achieve the bass you're looking for without one. Also wired > wireless, but in 2020 many people enjoy Bluetooth for obvious reasons. The only problem (from my experience with portable speakers and headphones) is that wireless products tend to have problems with the audio cutting out intermittently.

Soundbars are generally nice for apartments or bedrooms. Maybe you'd get one if you don't want to disturb your neighbors, just casual listening that is maybe a step up from your TV speakers capabilities. But if you live in a house and want a legit home theater experience, you could definitely find a wired (or wireless) 5.1 surround sound setup that doesn't break the bank. I see a lot of options on Amazon that I would probably consider.

I personally have been using a very old, wired Sony BDV-E770W 5.1 Blu-ray player channel/receiver console set up that still kicks ass, but it's outdated technology. To each their own. I don't recommend it or anything, but it's a good starting place for your research.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Sound bars in general won't even give you the capability is that a proper 2.1 setup will give you I recommend some bookshelf speakers either Klipsch or Polk depending on your preference in high-end personally I like Polk and Yamaha.

If you're just looking for a soundbar though I always recommend Sony products in general as people have stated a wired subwoofer is better than a wireless subwoofer Sony makes awesome headphones Best in the game I'm assuming they make awesome sound bars as well

teezzy

Banned
Polk Audio RTI A3

418oZOWCm5L._AC_.jpg

Yamaha NS-6490 3-Way Bookshelf Speakers Finish (Pair) Black & 100W Powered Subwoofer - Black (NS-SW100BL)

51E%2BupvXEZL._AC_SL1001_.jpg

Yamaha R-S202 Stereo Receiver Bundle with Polk TSi100 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers with 5-1/4" Driver - (Pair) Cherry

61PpsYbU-IL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
[/audiophilejoke]

I am impressed with my Sonos Arc at my holiday home. I’ve paired it with a Sonos Sub and two Sonos Ones.

I do have a legit audiophile Genelec setup at home, but I still feel Sonos Arc is excellent bang for the buck.

makaveli60

Okay, I get the audiophile jokes. I just used that to get the attention of people who could help me decide :)

Anyway, I'm disappointed about the bluetooth sound cutting problems as that would have been the practical solution in my small room. I will check the other suggestions, but I really don't want to spend too much on it, as I'm not looking for some audio orgasmic result, I just want a bit better sound than the weak performance of the TV.

So I assume beteen the two I linked in my OP I should go with the Sony as even if the LG sounds better I would have problems with the audio cutting.

teezzy

Banned
Nothing posted in this thread will give you an orgasmic result lol, just more bang for your buck than a soundbar will offer makaveli60 makaveli60

2 bookshelves, a sub, and an AVR work wonders

You do you though!
Soundbars sound infinitely better than the tiny speaker ports on a flat screen fwiw. It's an upgrade, even if not as much as a decent 2.1 would be

Top Bottom