• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiosurf coming to XBLA

Gowans

Just reading this months GamesTM on the train and it has a article and interview with the creator of Audiosurf.

In the article it states "With Audiosurf, his first commercial project, released via Steam to PC users and soon on Xbox Live Arcade"

I dont think this info had been released before, great news and great game that more people will be able to play now, hope it implements the use of custom soundtracks a little better than teh awkward system in E4.

VALIS

Ooh! Awesome. This game has gone from "hey guys, look what I found" to flavor of the month in about 5 minutes. Good for them/him/her/whoever made it.

FightyF

Banned
2iiinap.gif

My PC can't run it at high settings...this is freaking awesome news!

C4Lukins

Great news. I loved the demo, and was planning on purchasing it eventually. Hopefully you can use tracks streamed off of your computer.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nice work. Does the 360 enable USB mouse? If so, then definitely use the mouse!

Also it would suck if you can't stream music you already own.

hope it works with streaming audio... hrm, how would it work with streaming audio? stream the whole file to RAM then calculate the track?

speedpop said:
Nice work. Does the 360 enable USB mouse? If so, then definitely use the mouse!

Also it would suck if you can't stream music you already own.
no.

Johnkers

I honestly can't see mouse being the preferred control method for this game... but hey whatever floats your boat!

I might get it on 360, wasn't huge on the mouse control

Sho Nuff

Banned
picture112.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSOMEEEEEEEEEEE

_38052121_mexico_celebrate300.jpg

VICTOLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

large_popeholder.jpg

PUT YOUR HANDS UP FOR AUDIOSURF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The day I bought this I played for 8 hours and it was the best $10 I ever spent

AND WOULD SPEND AGAIN

PLEASE LET ME BE ABLE TO PLUG IN MY IPOD

"I honestly can't see mouse being the preferred control method for this game... but hey whatever floats your boat!"

It is.

Also, WHOO go Dylan. Even Eli knows what that means.

Johnkers said:
I honestly can't see mouse being the preferred control method for this game... but hey whatever floats your boat!

I might get it on 360, wasn't huge on the mouse control
maybe it's different with analog, but the kb vs the mouse was no contest

Tieno

Please tell us more about these m/k controls and how you can't imagine it playing any other way.

"How so? Is it just the sensitivity?"

Less effort to do the same movements, faster (because of the sensitivity), if you're about to make a mistake and realize it you can avoid it due to 1 and 2. Clicking the mouse buttons is way faster and easier to do multiple quick abilities with than pulling triggers.

The important question you 360 pad plebs (<3) haven't asked is whether or not the leaderboards will be cross platform as well.

Tain

I always figured that using the number keys to shift lanes was the best method when I played the beta.

Johnkers

Teknopathetic said:
Less effort to do the same movements, faster (because of the sensitivity), if you're about to make a mistake and realize it you can avoid it due to 1 and 2.

Sorry, not sure what you're referring to here?

Clicking the mouse buttons is way faster and easier to do multiple quick abilities with than pulling triggers.

I only played the demo and didn't really understand the mechanics too deeply (or even know about abilities =/) but couldn't those mouse clicks just be put on face buttons or bumpers?

Don't try to take this as me being anti-pc or anything, I'm just genuinely curious

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
What timing, just after the Gyrostar announcement. Well I guess I'll wait and see which game to get now. :lol

syllogism

While there's no doubt mouse is the best method of control, personally I find it more fun (maybe due to lack of practice) with a keyboard, so a pad should work fine. I wouldn't use the analogue sticks though, but instead map L to <move left>, R to <move right> and the XAB buttons to quick lane changes.

e: talking about ninja mono here

"Sorry, not sure what you're referring to here?"

Which part? The way pad control works in audiosurf (and it's far and away the best method for pads) is that the ship is anchored to the center lane. That is to say, when you're not pressing on the analog stick, the ship is always in the center. When you move the stick to the left, you switch to the left lane and right/right lane and when you let off the stick the ship shoots back to the center lane. This is the *best* way pad control could work with an analog stick. If you tried to make it move like a mouse and have the analog stick simply move the ship left and right in increments or whatever, this would be an absolute *nightmare* to control. However, it's still relatively clumsy compared to how mouse control works. There's a lot of relatively bothersome thumb work done for what is accomplished smoothly with mouse control.

"I only played the demo and didn't really understand the mechanics too deeply (or even know about abilities =/) but couldn't those mouse clicks just be put on face buttons or bumpers?

Don't try to take this as me being anti-pc or anything, I'm just genuinely curious"

Assuming they allow you to change controls (which they don't on the PC version, I also can't currently check if they allow the use of the bumpers as well since the XBCD drivers aren't supported yet). Putting them on the bumpers would be a decent enough solution, face buttons would be terrible.

Johnkers

Teknopathetic said:
Which part?

The 1 and 2 thing, but I think someone's post above explained that it was a digital way of moving between lanes? Unless I've read that wrong

I guess I still don't get it and I'll just have to wait and see how it goes

Slavik81

This doesn't make any sense at all. The 360:

A. Does not allow you to import songs to your hard drive without audio CDs.
B. Does not support the mouse.

PSN would have been a much, much, much better choice for this game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Slavik81 said:

The game will work fine with a controller. Consoles are a good fit for this title imo without getting into the details of PSN vs. XBLA.

I don't like the mouse control in Audiosurf. That's personal preference, though. I can certainly understand how others feel differently.

So no mouse control on the 360 version? Not my problem.

Slavik81

AstroLad said:
The game will work fine with a controller. Consoles are a good fit for this title imo without getting into the details of PSN vs. XBLA.
Really doesn't. Believe me, a 360 controller was the first thing I tried because that's what I thought at first.

Ultimately, I ended buying a Logitech G5 because my old Dell mouse wasn't up to snuff for Audiosurf. (The old mouse was totally fine for Counter-Strike. That's how much precision and consistancy matters with Audiosurf.)

SupahBlah

Banned
Slavik81 said:

I'm sure you can import music from a usb stick on the 360, if not it can stream across pc's just fine.

In Saint's Row I listened to music on my pc.

alkaline black said:
Wat. That's awesome news.

Hopefully it'll be able to see music that's on your network.

Why wouldn't it? The PC version allows you to so i can't see why the 360 version wouldn't.

So the 2 questions that answered properly could elevate this game to Portal-like status are:

1) Will it allow imported music from a USB stick or streaming from a PC?

AND

2) How well will it control with the 360 pad?

I just picked this up for Steam and absolutely love it, but it won't play songs streamed off a networked machine.

If they don't fix this for the 360 version, I won't be picking it up.

gregor7777 said:
2) How well will it control with the 360 pad?

It controls fine with the 360 pad. That is what i use on my PC as i find it more relaxing than using the mouse. If you want top scores on the PC then mouse play is really required though. That is not why i play it though so it is pad for me always :)

Bernbaum

Good gravy I really do hope so. I have recently finished ripping my entire collection to mp3, and the best sound in my apartment comes out of the Hi-Fi connected to my HDTV.

Top Bottom