• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Audiosurf: Indie music game that works with your music files (free download)

Ronabo

Wow people not one reply.

This thing is neat. Too bad it only lets you use your own music twice. I have to check it out when they get it finished to purchase.

Thanks Tekno for posting it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I'll be trying this out shortly. The concept is creative enough.

Also, that song that played in the first video is lovely. My first time hearing it, heh.

Jube3

Wow this is fantastic! This needs to come on PSN/Xbox live. Im having a blast. Just played a reggaeton song on it and the beat was pretty fast so it was like non stop bumps on the highway. Ill add you once I figure that out tekno.

EDIT: Bummer, After 2 songs you can no longer use custom songs. I really wanted to try out Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs too :(

EDIT: added you tekno,

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Ronabo said:
Too bad it only lets you use your own music twice.

I should have read this before I played the game :(...

Billy Talent - Fallen Leaves
Muse - Knights of Cydonia
Timbaland - The Way I Are

Jube3

Just read on the forums that Beta 2 starts tommorow (19th). Im really liking this game, seeing my favorite songs change the game was pretty fun.

Jube3

Hey teknopathetic I just killed your pro score on the first AS song :D

anyone playing feel free to add me (jube3)

Just go to the leaderboards section and check by friends and it will give you the option to Add friends

Okay people, listen carefully! Since this is just the first beta (the second is coming very soon), installation is very weird due to the fact that a real server hasn't been created. There are 2 ways to play offline (which can be found at *cough*) and a guy called Hexeh has set up a private server where you can view the high scores here *cough*

Expect the full version to be released sometime in February.

Jube3

LazerShark said:
Okay people, listen carefully! Since this is just the first beta (the second is coming very soon), installation is very weird due to the fact that a real server hasn't been created. There are 2 ways to play offline (which can be found at http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=478131) and a guy called Hexeh has set up a private server where you can view the high scores here http://teamdarry.org/as/

Thanks a TON for that lazer, Ill be there day 1 to pick this one up. Its like guitar hero meets bewjeweled.

M3wThr33

Banned
I might buy it. I played Billy Talent - Red Flag, Fall Out Boy - Dance, Dance and Bloc Party - Helicopter.
Dance, Dance was really bumpy.

Ten-Song

Jube3 said:
Its like guitar hero meets bewjeweled.

That's a weird yet oddly appropriate way to summarize the game. Tried it out, still not sure if I'll buy it, but I was really impressed by the art style and how well the game builds puzzles based on your own tunes.

Innotech said:
this should be rather interesting with those insane Jpop songs.

I tried it with the intro to evangelion, pretty awesome stuff.

and so the demo only lets you play your one custom song? when is the full version out?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just played this with Sonata Arctica - White Pearl, Black oceans. And Tool - Lateralus.

From the looks of it, it doesnt feel like you really need any skill at all, hit all the colours and shit should fall into place for you. There were a couple of times when i would fill up the bar, but it wasnt hard to start removing blocks a few seconds later.

Great game though, alot of fun.

evlcookie is my name, i added you tek :D

Edit: Geezus fuck, what a visual experience. Just did Tool - 46&2 on the elite (hard) mode. Talk about a bumpy road!, up and down over and over and over again, but the road moving to the beat of the drum was just intense. An amazing feeling. This game kicks some serious ass.

Jube3

Linkzg said:
I tried it with the intro to evangelion, pretty awesome stuff.

and so the demo only lets you play your one custom song? when is the full version out?

Its due on in Feb with a weekend Beta test out tommorow (19th). Check out lazer sharks post a few up in this thread for a temporary workaround.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Jube3 said:
Its due on in Feb with a weekend Beta test out tommorow (19th). Check out lazer sharks post a few up in this thread for a temporary workaround.

The workaround doesn't work for me :(.
It just keeps telling me that my beta is expired and that I need to restart the game to allow the autoupdater to run :(.

Doytch

Played Knights of Cydonia since everyone seems to have played it, and just played Avon by QotSA, which was awesome. I really like this game. I'll drop down 10-15 for sure.

Drakken

I can't stop grinning while watching gameplay vids of various songs. A game that properly does track generation based on whatever songs the user wants to play, is fun, and provides a neat visual experience, could be AMAZING. I'm really looking forward to trying out the new beta tomorrow.

Doytch

Drakken said:
I can't stop grinning while watching gameplay vids of various songs. A game that properly does track generation based on whatever songs the user wants to play, is fun, and provides a neat visual experience, could be AMAZING. I'm really looking forward to trying out the new beta tomorrow.

Yeah, I wasn't expecting much from the track generation, since it's such a hard thing to get down. Props to the coders.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Ronabo said:
Too bad it only lets you use your own music twice.
I interpreted that as "I can play every song I have twice." :(

It was an alright game. Being able to try more songs would be good.

Jube3

TheQueen'sOwn said:
The workaround doesn't work for me :(.
It just keeps telling me that my beta is expired and that I need to restart the game to allow the autoupdater to run :(.

Theres 3 of them, the third one worked for me (installing the fake server to play offline). This needs to get on XBL or PSN asap.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
6xqmu5w.jpg

Man I suck :lol.

Jube3

lol. nice pic.

I just played expert with the Intro from Sweeney Todd. Wow, if anyone has the song try it out. The high way builds up like a rollercoaster and then about 30 seconds in when the score kicks in the road goes straight down. Seriously bad ass :lol Im gonna try to fraps it if my FPS doesnt go down to low.

From what I've played, some songs work better than others. Rock (especially Guitar Hero-type stuff), Techno, Trance, Pop, Dance, etc work. However, I loaded up some Hip-Hop and it's not as good. Still an excelllent concept.

What modes are you guys playing at? I'm kicking ass in Ninja Mono. Nothing like beating Dragonforce on another music game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U69JlWzbrkI

Good songs to try:
She Is Beautiful by Andrew W.K.
Fireworks by The Animal Collective
Funky Radio by B.B. Rights
So What'cha Want by The Beastie Boys
Banquet by Bloc Party
Every Breath Is A Bomb by The Blood Brothers
Seventeen Years by Ratatat

So much stuff to mess with though.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
Once you play your two songs you can't play songs off of your computer anymore (unless you use one of the workarounds).

You can still play any of the 4 songs that they provide though.... as many times as you want.

The M.O.B

TheQueen'sOwn said:
Once you play your two songs you can't play songs off of your computer anymore (unless you use one of the workarounds).

You can still play any of the 4 songs that they provide though.... as many times as you want.

Can I reinstall to get them back, or something. What are these workarounds?

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
LazerShark said:
Okay people, listen carefully! Since this is just the first beta (the second is coming very soon), installation is very weird due to the fact that a real server hasn't been created. There are 2 ways to play offline (which can be found at http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=478131) and a guy called Hexeh has set up a private server where you can view the high scores here http://teamdarry.org/as/

Read that ^.
I couldn't get any of them to work. :(
If you uninstall and reinstall it lets you play through the tutorial again (using another song on your computer).... that's what I've been doing.

FUCKING BADASS!!!

The first song that i played was The Perfect Drug (nineinchnails) and instantly you feel the vibe on how the track is laid out and how wild and fun it gets. Perfect Drug has a drum-solo in the end and it gets pretty intense at that moment.

Later, i switched to Happiness In Slavery (nineinchnails) and FUCKING HELL! This song was tough to play on. Again, Synth/Drum-solo during the end and it gets nasty.

Loved it so much, i clicked on buy button only to realize that it's under beta right now.
This game can be a hit at XBLA/PSN! Ready to shill out money for it.

If you're NIN fan, do NOT hesitate to try Happiness In Slavery using Ninja Mono :D

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I really want to capture this with fraps, but it causes my fps to drop to around 15 :lol , so its slow and shitty.

I install it, get one play, uninstall, reinstall , repeat. None of the workarounds work :(

evlcookie said:
I really want to capture this with fraps, but it causes my fps to drop to around 15 :lol , so its slow and shitty.

I install it, get one play, uninstall, reinstall , repeat. None of the workarounds work :(

You can lower the background quality and get better result (It asks you during the game if you want it lowered. If you chose "No", you can still goto options and fix it).

Top Bottom