• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

Grecco

_leech_ said:
Well, the HD versions sold nearly 1.65 million, the Wii version did 110K. So, umm, unless the Wii version was 16.5x cheaper to make, i'm not sure how much money that brought them.

yes lets add two skus vs 1 sku. Why not at least add PS2 sku to the wii total :p

Jammy

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
GTAIV has sold over 10 million worldwide though. It must be something like 6 million on 360 and 4 on the Ps3.

Will Mario Kart sell that?

Easily. Look at what the game's done already and factor in the amazing legs that it has that GTAIV doesn't. It's sold 7-8 million already.

jibblypop

Banned
_leech_ said:
Well, the HD versions sold nearly 1.65 million, the Wii version did 110K. So, umm, unless the Wii version was 16.5x cheaper to make, i'm not sure how much money that brought them.

Your logic doesn't make sense. I never asked if the amount of profit is equal. I asked if it makes money. Using your logic the HD versions had to sell 1.65 million copies to break even but I highly doubt that. I'm sure they made money after much fewer copies than that. It would seem that if the Wii version makes money for them then they will keep making it. They won't care if it makes less money than the HD version as long as it's also making money.
See my point?

Crisis said:
Anyway I don't think that around 15,000 more units is a "huge margin" when we're talking about close to 200,000 units for each.

I seem to remember little victory dances from last month's NPD when the PS3 outsold the 360 by only 20k.

thuway

OldJadedGamer said:
The 360 didn't have a price drop last month, it took affect a few days ago and will be counted towards next months NPD.
I meant the 20gb clearance. You could call it a "false" price drop, but for most people who aren't as saavy as us, this probably seemed like a bargain.

jimbo

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
While I agree with your overall sentiment, it's actually a bit worse: Wii after August 2008 is closer to triple Wii after August 2007. From ~4M to ~12M.

Yikes. The Wii is more non-gamer than I thought.

Fady K

OldJadedGamer said:
I seem to remember little victory dances from last month's NPD when the PS3 outsold the 360 by only 20k.

And theres a reason for that - its different when the machine costs at least a 100 bucks more and had no exclusive for the month of july and outsells the 360 by 20,000; whereas this month the 360 had 2 pretty important exclusives, sold 50$ cheaper (for the 20GB models) yet only managed a 10k lead. See the difference? Im not trying to be a smartass btw, im just trying to show the difference between the two points in my opinion.

Syntek

thuway said:
I was hoping to see Vesperia in the top 10. I don't want to believe that JRPGs are a dying genre :(.

When a 11 million userbase fails to pull in more software than a 600k userbase, that really says something. It might eventually break 300k US+Japan, so it's still pretty decent. I wonder if Trusty Bell PS3 will come close to that number in Japan alone...

Eteric Rice

I'm not really surprised, didn't Madden 08, and 07 on the Wii suck?

Buying Madden on the Wii is probably to risky for a lot of people that were burned from older Wii versions. Why go with the Wii version when you can be safe and buy a 360 or PS3 version?

fernoca

WrikaWrek said:
GTAIV has sold over 10 million worldwide though. It must be something like 6 million on 360 and 4 on the Ps3.

Will Mario Kart sell that?
It's at 6.4 million right now..on just 1 console and 1 SKU..so it basically has sold as much as GTAIV on the 360.

harSon

Banned
Syntek said:
When a 11 million userbase fails to pull in more software than a 600k userbase, that really says something. It might eventually break 300k US+Japan, so it's still pretty decent. I wonder if Trusty Bell PS3 will come close to that number in Japan alone...

All it tells us is JRPGs with kiddish cell shaded graphics and a non existent marketing campaigns are going to fail on the Xbox 360. ie. Eternal Sonata

jimbo said:

That's no doubt a fact, but I think that Wii has shown us on a lot of different occasions that first month sales aren't necessarily indicative of overall sell through. While it will be hard to do, it'd be nice to see how Madden Wii continues to sell over the next few months leading up to Christmas.

Grecco

Fady K said:
And theres a reason for that - its different when the machine costs at least a 100 bucks more and had no exclusive for the month of july and outsells the 360 by 20,000; whereas this month the 360 had 2 pretty important exclusives, sold 50$ cheaper (for the 20GB models) yet only managed a 10k lead. See the difference? Im not trying to be a smartass btw, im just trying to show the difference between the two points in my opinion.

It was 50 dollars cheaper in July too actually.

Based on Madden? Really? Really?

Jammy

Banned
jimbo said:

:lol Since when was Madden a measurement for being "hardcore?"

Madden is the 360/PS3's Mario Party, in that it comes out every year and sells millions.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Fady K said:

You are trying, and failing, at painting a scenario where 360 had this amazing month and was supposed to sell great. Give me a break.

Too Human is far from an important exclusive, and Vesperia too. Love the spin,"only" managed a 10k lead, as if it was supposed to murder the PS3 in sales, lol.

fernoca said:
It's at 6.4 million right now..on just 1 console and 1 SKU..so it basically has sold as much as GTAIV on the 360.

That's pretty impressive for a kart racer. But then again, it's a nintendo game with nintendo characters.

thuway

Grecco said:
It was 50 dollars cheaper in July too actually.

Did Too Human and Tales of Vesperia launch that month? Not trying to be a jerk, but July still had blowback from the MGS4 launch. I think the months are narrowing on an even keel, but you can take plus points for either system.

A) The 360 has garnered two more exclusives and an even cheaper price point. Its easy to see why it outsold the PS3.

B) This says, that even at 399, PS3 can pull off impressive numbers against the 360 where it is $100 + cheaper.

Xisiqomelir

Jammy said:
:lol Since when was Madden a measurement for being "hardcore?"

Madden is the 360/PS3's Mario Party, in that it comes out every year and sells millions.

You didn't get the memo? Hardlycore = Hardcore these days.

Darkman M

thuway said:
Did Too Human and Tales of Vesperia launch that month? Not trying to be a jerk, but July still had blowback from the MGS4 launch. I think the months are narrowing on an even keel, but you can take plus points for either system.

A) The 360 has garnered two more exclusives and an even cheaper price point. Its easy to see why it outsold the PS3.

B) This says, that even at 399, PS3 can pull off impressive numbers against the 360 where it is $100 + cheaper.

As much as i love Tales i doubt it moved any noticeable amount of 360's....

And no one bought a 360 this month for Too human just look at the numbers.

thuway

Grecco said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol jesus. Seriously? Are those supposed to be system sellers now?
You mean to tell me atleast 10k people wouldn't buy a 360 at 299.99 for atleast one of those two games?

909er

thuway said:

I think this NPD covered until August 30th. What day did ToV come out?

Grecco

thuway said:
You mean to tell me atleast 10k people wouldn't buy a 360 at 299.99 for atleast one of those two games?

As many as those who bought it for Eternal Sonata and KUF Circle of Doom. Basically no.

pgtl_10 said:
I know MS gives them money. Sadly there really is no way around being moneyhatted. A commercial like this one would be great for Wii:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHKMus5081U
Didn't EA put out some Wii specific commericals during the holiday season for the Wii version? I recall one with an old lady acting like a football player. Wii owners by and large simply do not run out and buy the games they want the first 6 weeks they are out and I think sales tend to go higher relative to the PS360 for the holidays (wasn't it December of last year when with a decently smaller install base the Wii began to overtake the 360 in monthly software sales?). That's a pretty sensible thing to do, let the HD gamers run out and buy up their allotments of Madden early and then later advertise the Wii version to capatialize on the greater legs Wii games experience.

Also I do think EA hurt themselves by both releasing a terrible Madden 08 on the Wii, it's going to take more than "call your shot" mode to entice me back after that experience, and the cover is simply aweful. However, I did my part for Wii sports games and bought Tiger Woods 09 and MLB Power Pros 2008 for the Wii last month. Nevertheless, I highly doubt EA will lose money on Madden 09 for the Wii or stop making as some seem to suggest, and yeah it'd be pretty cool if they would take some time and think of novel ways to use IR to enhance the game like PES.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Poor showing this month by both the 360 and PS3. I expect the 360 to outsell the PS3 in September too, but I think the PS3 will outsell the 360 on atleast two of the next 3 months.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Paracelsus said:
Media Create aren't encouraging either.

And why <50k? Hasn't Abyss sold like 150k?
No, it debuted well under 50k and didn't have very long legs, I think it did manage to pass 50k eventually though (it definitely got nowhere near 100k).

Can someone help me out with this? I'm trying to work out the launch aligned NPD figures and I think the values I have are a little off. Do these seem roughly right to the sales agers in the know?

As of month 21
Wii: 11.86m
360: 5.84m
PS3: 5.24m

soldat7

pgtl_10 said:
EA should advertise. If they want casuals to buy the game stop putting out commercials that suggest the game is only coming for 360.

People that care about Madden will almost always choose to play it on the 360/PS3.

Ranger X said:
No seriously. The war for second place really is looking bad. :lol
The Ps3 is the new Gamecube and the Xbox is the new.... Xbox.

Actually, this gen is looking to turn out somewhat more balanced than last. The Wii is on track to outsell the PS2, but the PS3 and Xbox will beat the Gamecube and Xbox by a higher percentage.

By the time the next consoles roll out, we may be at 90/30/30 or something like that, instead of the 100/20/20 thrashing that the PS2 dished out. Of course, this time around the winning console didn't have the year head start, but even so, the Wii is "only" selling 2-3x what the others do, instead of 4-5x.

That's worldwide...here in the US, it does look a lot more like last gen with the places scrambled.

GSG Flash said:
Poor showing this month by both the 360 and PS3. I expect the 360 to outsell the PS3 in September too, but I think the PS3 will outsell the 360 on atleast two of the next 3 months.
You think the PS3 will outsell the 360 in Oct/Nov? I dunno man. It was tight before the price drop, I'm pretty sure the 360 will run away with the 2nd place crown for the rest of this year barring unforeseen actions from Sony.

909er

Volcynika said:
I think Vesperia came out August 26th, but I'm sure NPD covered just a little ways into September.

Found the info, from the predictions thread

NPD Coverage: August 3 - August 30 (4 weeks, July was 4 weeks

So ToV had 4 days.

Haunted

Segata Sanshiro said:
You think the PS3 will outsell the 360 in Oct/Nov? I dunno man. It was tight before the price drop, I'm pretty sure the 360 will run away with the 2nd place crown for the rest of this year barring unforeseen actions from Sony.
Year of the PS3 continues.
AHUAHUAHUAHUA

Fady K said:

But as GAF has told me millions of times, the PS3 isn't just selling as a games machine. Don't forget it's the best Blu-ray player on the market and the follow up machine to best selling video game system of all time. The "value" of the PS3 should have it skyrocketing ahead of the 360 according to GAF of course.

Does this mean that consumers aren't seeing the value of Blu-ray?

Crisis

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:

Not from me. I thought the 360 would do worse than the PS3 for this month but I was half-right. It did worse overall but I didn't know that the supply of PS3s would be constricted as well. Anyway don't worry so much about "victory dances". Act like you've been there before.

jimbo

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
All that is really left to see in this generation is if third-parties will begin to shift to Wii or if they will continue to be embarrassed by Nintendo's monstrous success. Either way, third-parties are in trouble.

Explain to me WHY should, for example, EA shift games to the Wii, when:

1. Madden sold the same amount this year as it did last year, but the Wii's LTD is X3 last years.
2. Madden on the 360, even though it now has a smaller user base outsold it X9
3. Madden on the PS3 with not even half the user base outsold it x5.

WHY should they?

And they seem to be doing just fine on the 360 and PS3.

markom58 said:
That's a huge surprise. Sony better at least match the price drops or they will be outsold in the US by the 360 for the year

Not for a lot of people that have been keeping up with what's REALLY going on. A lot of last month's PS3 sales were still strong due to MGS4. Some people expected the 360 to outsell it last month due to its $50 drop in the 20GB SKU and when it didn't a lot of people jumped the gun and said the PS3 was permanently taking over, prematurely of course. What probably happened is they both had higher sales than they would have normally had WITHOUT those things, but the MGS4 effect was simply stronger than the 360's clearance sale effect. But as always a bunch of noobs started posting about crap they don't know and typically the masses just follow.

Wanna see another example based completely on wishful thinking? Check it out:
GSG Flash said:

WHY?

1. The 360 JUST outsold it for August, a month prior to a price drop that was basically known about.
2.The 360 just had a price drop, so September is a given.
3. The price drop will last longer than September and will carry on into the holiday season.
4. The 360 has arguably the stronger overall fall line-up, especially when it comes to selling power.
5. GOW2 launches in November, arguably the biggest 360 game other than Halo.

What is your reasoning for thinking that?

Fady K

WrikaWrek said:
You are trying, and failing, at painting a scenario where 360 had this amazing month and was supposed to sell great. Give me a break.

Too Human is far from an important exclusive, and Vesperia too. Love the spin,"only" managed a 10k lead, as if it was supposed to murder the PS3 in sales, lol.

That's pretty impressive for a kart racer. But then again, it's a nintendo game with nintendo characters.

I didnt say it was supposed to sell great :) I said in comparison to what the PS3 had for the month - aka, nothing but Disgaea 3 - the 360 had a 50$ cut on the 20GB models (like it wasnt cheap enough already ;) ) and to top that off - getting the most important RPG released on either the Wii/PS3/360 thus far, and just because Too Human turned out to not be so good doesnt mean it wasnt hyped as a big exclusive ;)

No spin. The 360 clearly won by 10k units - thats a fact. But its not a big deal when you consider the factors honestly. Maybe you should remove your fanboy goggles and realize that "10k units of 360 sold over the PS3" is weak.

Top Bottom