• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

pswii60

I'm wondering if Sony are waiting until next month to steal the limelight with a sizeable price cut of their own.

Only problem is, if you leave it that long, you leave it too late to really benefit out of the holiday season. Many people have already decided on their Christmas prezzies by then and a price drop will have less of an effect.

For example, it took until January for Sony's new low-price PS3 SKU from last year to really show its colours. But, from January, it started outselling the 360.

markatisu

Aaron Strife said:
I doubt CoD is going to chart on any system. l

It might chart at #9 or #10 but I would say its doubtful, especially since most people want to ignore that a big part of CoD4 draw was that it was NOT WWII and CoD5 is going right back to that time period again

markatisu

Luckyman said:
wat

If the beta is any good this will be huge. COD was the number one game last november with 1.5M.

Again CoD4 is the exception in the series because it went to modern day, I am not sure there will be 1.5m people who will want yet another WWII shooter. The sales of that era's shooters have been on the decline the last few years

If CoD5 had been set in Iraq or even taken place during the "Cold War" of the 80's I would see the potential for another smash game

But since Infinity Ward is not handling CoD5 and its the same old same old setting I dont think it will light the world on fire like CoD4 did

It will chart most likely for the 360 but I think for the PS3 and Wii it will be down the ladder that we wont see thanks to NPD (our best bet would be a press release from Activision)

pswii60 said:
I'm wondering if Sony are waiting until next month to steal the limelight with a sizeable price cut of their own.

Only problem is, if you leave it that long, you leave it too late to really benefit out of the holiday season. Many people have already decided on their Christmas prezzies by then and a price drop will have less of an effect.

For example, it took until January for Sony's new low-price PS3 SKU from last year to really show its colours. But, from January, it started outselling the 360.

Its pretty obvious that making money is more important to Sony than outselling xbox360 this holiday season. They have alreaedy stated multiple times they are not dropping the price. PS3 has a great lineup, Home is going into open Beta (not sucha big deal I agree) and this is the first holiday since Bluray won the format war. It is hard to predict how all of Sony's cards are going to play out, but I'd say it has a lot going for it.

Jokeropia

Jag22 said:
Better controls is personal preference, not a fact.
It IS a fact that they're faster/more accurate, and while it is possible to prefer slower thumbstick aiming I'd say that's no different from preferring technically worse graphics.
Jag22 said:
Friends codes are cool?
Not mandatory.
WrikaWrek said:
And i believe that Capcom is aiming much higher than 1 to 2 million copies, which seems the most that a non nintendo hardcore game has reached on the wii :)
If RE spinoffs and ports can sell ~1.5 million, a real main series entry (even if it's just a built-for-the-Wii version of RE5) should be able to do significantly better.
yurinka said:
Well like some analyst I think PS3 unlike Wii will have legs and maybe won't reach Wii but at the end of the generation will be in a 2nd place and far closer than now.
eyes.gif

yurinka said:
And seeing Wii games, specially its top 10 of sales, it's clear its sales aren't from mainly from hardcore/RE5 gamers.
Nope, because hardcore games sell very well on Wii.
Jag22 said:
Madden 2009, Scarface, COD 3, NFS: Carbon and The Godfather doing poor while games like High School Musical and Carnival games doing well all point to the Wii's audience being more casual/younger
Red Steel, Resident Evil 4: Wii, Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, No More Heroes, Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros: Brawl doing well while games like Boogie, Spy Fox: Dry Cereal, Chicken Shoot, Billy the Wizard, Disney's Chicken Little, Barnyard and Cosmic Family do poorly all point to the Wii's audience beeing more hardcore/older.

TheRagnCajun said:
Its pretty obvious that making money is more important to Sony than outselling xbox360 this holiday season. They have alreaedy stated multiple times they are not dropping the price. PS3 has a great lineup, Home is going into open Beta (not sucha big deal I agree) and this is the first holiday since Bluray won the format war. It is hard to predict how all of Sony's cards are going to play out, but I'd say it has a lot going for it.

Who knows if Sony will drop the price or not this year? They may have said it multiple times this year that they won't but when has Sony ever *not* denied a price drop right before it happened? Last time they denied it was the corporate President of Sony that denied a price drop and not some random PR rep then they dropped the price a month later. They will always deny a price drop. Every company will no matter what... until the price drops.

Also, with Blu-ray players getting lower and lower in price and the fact that standalone units are no longer gimped, the "Trojan horse" of the Blu-ray in the unit is losing it's appeal. The PS3's days as the cheapest Blu-ray player are short lived.

I feel that if Sony doesn't drop the price, they have to add some value into the box like games or downloadable codes for PSN stuff. As someone waiting to buy a PS3, a price drop on the system pretty much guarantee that I'll have one under the tree this year. They have to do something though and it will be interesting to see what. The Edge Online article was right when they wrote that no matter what they do, it's going to be interesting either way.

Cheez-It

OldJadedGamer said:
They have to do something though and it will be interesting to see what. The Edge Online article was right when they wrote that no matter what they do, it's going to be interesting either way.

Uhh, no, they do not. Sorry. "Should" would be more appropriate, but is still far from the case, which could be effectively argued both ways.

WrikaWrek said:
And i believe that Capcom is aiming much higher than 1 to 2 million copies, which seems the most that a non nintendo hardcore game has reached on the wii :)
while Capcom generally sets their expectations low, expecting the game to sell 2.3 million copies across two consoles would average out to 1.15 million per SKU, which is significantly lower than what RE4 did on Wii

Eteric Rice

Just to note, I don't expect Dead Rising Wii to sell well. The general feeling on the game is negative.

They need to port games that matter, like Street Fighter IV or RE5. DR is a first gen 360 game. :|

And not a sloppy, shitty port either. People will only fall for that so many times before they ignore games with your logo on it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Laguna said:
And Wii owners are laughing back by not buying their games :lol

yes but the laughter is a response to being laughed at, almost like a bad comeback. to stretch the analogy a bit further, i think of it almost as a type of situation where ea is the big jock pushing around the little nerds. oversimplified? maybe, but i think i hit the nail right on the head.

farnham

Banned
AstroLad said:
yes but the laughter is a response to being laughed at, almost like a bad comeback. to stretch the analogy a bit further, i think of it almost as a type of situation where ea is the big jock pushing around the little nerds. oversimplified? maybe, but i think i hit the nail right on the head.
Seriously you really expect EA to take the money of the customer and laugh at them..??

I dont think they can afford that..

Opiate

I have sympathy for new posters who get sucked in by Astrolad, but long time posters should be aware by now. I'm still relatively new, but it took me all of two days to understand and appreciate Astrolad.

AstroLad said:
I think EA is in no position to be the big jock here, to be frank with you.

Laguna

Banned
Astrolad you are trying a bit to hard. You have to see it like it is, EA lost potential buyers while Wii owners just didn´t bought a yearly rehash.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
titiklabingapat said:
I think EA is in no position to be the big jock here, to be frank with you.

Just to be clear here (and I think this should address all of the alleged counterarguments), EA is a company that makes literally over billions of dollars a year--also their executives are some of the richest people in the industry today.

Pretty sure they're not sweating it in the least, no matter how much complaining there may be from Wii fans (at least on GAF).

EDIT: As for the freedom of speech issues--as they say, I may or may not agree with what they are saying (no need to open up THAT can of worms), but I will defend their right to say it to the death. Surprised I'm in the apparent minority here (or maybe I should know better :lol).

OldJadedGamer said:
Who knows if Sony will drop the price or not this year? They may have said it multiple times this year that they won't but when has Sony ever *not* denied a price drop right before it happened? Last time they denied it was the corporate President of Sony that denied a price drop and not some random PR rep then they dropped the price a month later. They will always deny a price drop. Every company will no matter what... until the price drops.

You are right about them denying a price drop, but the reason they gave is a very sensible one. They need profit more at this point. Basically, they have been in the red too long and they are running out of excuses at their quarterly investors meetings.

Also, with Blu-ray players getting lower and lower in price and the fact that standalone units are no longer gimped, the "Trojan horse" of the Blu-ray in the unit is losing it's appeal. The PS3's days as the cheapest Blu-ray player are short lived.

Sounds like you're regurgitating (<-most likely spelt wrong) the EDGE article. Its true that PS3 has lost the advantage of being the cheapest bluray player on the market. However, its still one of the best players on the market, and its still a consumer incentive for the PS3. If bluray is a boon for the PS3, that will be proven this holiday. I think it was lightly proven when HD-DVD died, but this holiday is the true test. I'm not making predictions here, I'm just saying bluray is an ace in the pocket.

farnham

Banned
AstroLad said:
Just to be clear here (and I think this should address all of the alleged counterarguments), EA is a company that makes literally over billions of dollars a year--also their executives are some of the richest people in the industry today.

Pretty sure they're not sweating it in the least, no matter how much complaining there may be from Wii fans (at least on GAF).

EDIT: As for the freedom of speech issues--as they say, I may or may not agree with what they are saying (no need to open up THAT can of worms), but I will defend their right to say it to the death. Surprised I'm in the apparent minority here (or maybe I should know better :lol).
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah so how did they got all this money

By milking every existing platform with their yearly sports franchises... even the Ngage

go figure

AstroLad said:
who makes more than EA?

Nintendo.

they shouldn't be trying to shun the audience that has made the number one gaming company, well, number one

AstroLad said:

With Nintendo's rise, they went from number one to number 2/3(directly and indirectly). I'd be sweating too.

Laguna

Banned
AstroLad said:

And now Einstein tell us why they even bothered doing a Wii version (and also spent extra time for the Mii-Modus). To make even more money you say? No shit Sherlock, you can´t be serious!

linsivvi

AstroLad said:

The net loss for EA is $454 million in the last fiscal year. That's more than the net income of FY2006 and FY2007 combined.

I would say they are sweating a little bit at the very least.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm just saying "look, why are these guys going to sweat what some poster on GAF thinks about what they're doing with their covers, etc.?" Most of them individually probably make more in a year than all of the supposed "business expert" complaining posters combined and they are supposed to be "sweating"? Come on now.

Just look at some of the acquisitions they've made recently--most gaffers have trouble scrounging together the change for a single title from one of the publishers EA acquired, much less acquiring the whole damn publisher outright. And we're supposed to somehow credit the financial "advice" these people are giving when all indications are that EA is kicking ass and taking names?

"New EA" is in great shape. Maybe a little cocky, as evidenced above, but confident like never before.

Jag22

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
while Capcom generally sets their expectations low, expecting the game to sell 2.3 million copies across two consoles would average out to 1.15 million per SKU, which is significantly lower than what RE4 did on Wii

No, no it isn't.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
AstroLad said:
I'm just saying "look, why are these guys going to sweat what some poster on GAF thinks about what they're doing with their covers, etc.?" Most of them individually probably make more in a year than all of the supposed "business expert" complaining posters combined and they are supposed to be "sweating"? Come on now.

Just look at some of the acquisitions they've made recently--most gaffers have trouble scrounging together the change for a single title from one of the publishers EA acquired, much less acquiring the whole damn publisher outright. And we're supposed to somehow credit the financial "advice" these people are giving when all indications are that EA is kicking ass and taking names?

"New EA" is in great shape. Maybe a little cocky, as evidenced above, but confident like never before.
you're correct, for the most part, though if things go as some have said, in the Nintendomination disruption, "New EA's" cockiness could end up biting them in the ass later on. certainly they won't go under or even get into any major financial trouble, but those executives may not be able to buy that summer home in SoCal.

Jag22 said:
No, no it isn't.
oh gawd, you're back? please, do the math: 1.35>1.15. if Capcom's expectations for the game are 2.3 million across all consoles, then the RE4Wii COULD outsell the individual versions for the PS3 and 360. 200k is not a small number. that's not to say that the game won't surpass those numbers, but no one has any ability to say it will or won't, so stop clawing because you're failing.

linsivvi

AstroLad said:

How convenient to ignore my post that they loss money and just posted another losing quarter. And no, the loss does not include the acquisition of Bioware.

So what they individually made shit ton of money? People criticize everyone from politicians to athletes to musicians everywhere. Using your logic, we should just shut up and shutdown the internet, and nobody should say anything negative about Bush.

hellclerk

goldenpp72 said:
arent the 2.3 million for re5 only first month figures they want?
considering the front loaded nature of game sales and how the game is in the middle of the month, meaning a greater than 2 week spread for sales, it selling all that much more over the months is unlikely. the numbers we will have for March will only likely go up a few hundred thousand more, so if all goes according to plan, about up to 1.35 million a piece, or RE4 Wii's current instal base. then of course, you have the difference between 360 and PS3 multiplat sales, and you could potentially end up with the PS3 version selling less than the 1.35m for RE4 Wii in lifetime sales. doesn't mean i think it's gonna happen, but it's always a possibility.

Jag22

Banned
doomed1 said:
you're correct, for the most part, though if things go as some have said, in the Nintendomination disruption, "New EA's" cockiness could end up biting them in the ass later on. certainly they won't go under or even get into any major financial trouble, but those executives may not be able to buy that summer home in SoCal.

oh gawd, you're back? please, do the math: 1.35>1.15. if Capcom's expectations for the game are 2.3 million across all consoles, then the RE4Wii COULD outsell the individual versions for the PS3 and 360. 200k is not a small number. that's not to say that the game won't surpass those numbers, but no one has any ability to say it will or won't, so stop clawing because you're failing.

Do you understand the meaning of "significantly"? Reread what Aaron said, then reread my reply.

Aaron Strife said:

Jag22 said:
Do you understand the meaning of "significantly"? Reread what Aaron said, then reread my reply.
well that is about 20% higher sales

also it wouldn't surprise me if RE4Wii has sold more than 1.35 mil depending on when that information was given

TheRagnCajun said:
If bluray is a boon for the PS3, that will be proven this holiday. I think it was lightly proven when HD-DVD died, but this holiday is the true test. I'm not making predictions here, I'm just saying bluray is an ace in the pocket.

Proven by how? More hardware sales? They already said they were less concerned with moving hardware this year and wanted to be profitable. And if it fails that test this holiday... then what does that mean? It's not a selling point to me so I'm curious. The PS3 playing divx is a million times more important to me then it playing Blu-ray movies.

hellclerk

Jag22 said:
let me reiterate: 200k is NOT a small number. for many games, the difference between financial success and failure can hang in that number. as someone pointed out, a 20% difference. either way, it's not like it matters, all it really means is that there is a possibility that you could be wrong about RE4 Wii being outsold by the PS3 version of RE5. that would certainly be embarrassing.

donny2112

Finally got through the thread. :)

truly101 said:
Guys, Milli Vanilli sold 14 million records worldwide so this means they're one of the greatest contemporary musical acts to ever exist. Its true because sales = quality.

truly101 said:
Meh, my point is that some people seem to think that because their console has the highest sales, that it automatically validates its quality over the competition. Really that depends on what games you're looking for.

It's good to know there are people out there who realize the PS1 and PS2 didn't have the best quality games in everyone's opinion. Sales != Quality.

Opiate said:
Historically, third place consoles are on a downward sales trend 2.5-3 years in to a generational lifecycle, but that isn't happening this time.

I realize you said "generational lifecycle", but the generation only really heated up with the PS3/Wii launches. Same reason why no one really considers the PS2 generation as starting with the Dreamcast. i.e. The previous gen market leader was still to come. If the PS3 is still increasing yoy in the U.S. 1 year from now, it would've bucked the GameCube precedent of third-place consoles, in my opinion.

Liabe Brave said:
I'm sure you can come up with your own, more acceptable example.

In the opinion of most traditional gamers, the PS3 and 360 have the most games that appeal to them.
In the opinion of most new and mainstream gamers, the Wii has the most games that appeal to them (the biggest not being listed on the NPD charts).

Trying to say that one group's opinion supercedes the other group's opinion is quite silly.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
RE4 Wii has sold what, 400k-500k to date on NPD? You don't think the PS3 version will do that next March in NPD? ... If I'm wrong, feel free to spam this quote in the March 09 NPDs/Media Creates/whatever.

4 PS3 games have sold 400K or more in a month.

Assassin's Creed (December)
MGS4
GTAIV (April and May)
COD4 (November and December)

No, I do not believe that RE5 will sell 400-500K in its debut month NPD listing.

WrikaWrek said:
The creative minds behind Res5 want to make the game they want to make. They want to make RES5 on the 360/Ps3.

Why ... should they sacrifice their vision just because the wii exists?

They shouldn't. Just as the makers of RE4 didn't sacrifice their vision by porting it to the PS2. That was a different team.

WrikaWrek said:
Keiji Inafune wanted Dead Rising and Lost Planet on the 360, and he had to actually fight a bit with Capcom in order to be able to do it.

And now Dead Rising will be on Wii, and Lost Planet is on PS3. Again, the original maker of the game doesn't have to sacrifice any "vision" for their game to appear on other platforms.

yurinka said:
Well, RE4 was released as a Nintendo console (GameCube) exclusive. And seeing its numbers they kicked the exclusive and released it in PS2.

I didn't know Capcom used fortune-tellers to tell them what how their games sold. The PS2 version of RE4 was announced before the release of the GameCube version, which most likely affected the GameCube version's sales. I could easily see them not repeating the same mistake and holding off on a RE5 Wii announcement until after the release of the PS3/360 versions.

yurinka said:
Well like some analyst I think PS3 unlike Wii will have legs

You mean like that analyst that had the Wii showing negative growth in 2012? Where's that cool chart when you need it.

Redd said:
RESWi>>>>>>>>>>>>RE5Wii imo

RE5:Wii + RE4:Gaiden >>>>>>>>>>>> whatever

Leondexter,
You rock.

RBH

Bah, why is it taking so damn long to get info on the Top 20 overall and the Top 10 for each console? :(

The usual websites haven't posted that data yet.....

No, I do not believe that RE5 will sell 400-500K in its debut month NPD listing.

And you'd be wrong about that.

RE5 will clear 400-500k on the PS3 in its first month NPD.

DMC4 did ~250k in its first month on the PS3, and that's a much lesser franchise than RE....not to mention it released before the PS3 really started picking up its momentum in the US.

Top Bottom