• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 2008 NPD Results

909er

Crisis said:
Not from me. I thought the 360 would do worse than the PS3 for this month but I was half-right. It did worse overall but I didn't know that the supply of PS3s would be constricted as well. Anyway don't worry so much about "victory dances". Act like you've been there before.

Do you have a source for that? I find it hard to believe either of the HD consoles could be supply constrained (and I also haven't been looking at gaming news for a while now, so I would've missed it).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
August 2008 NPD LotusCharts

NPD Fact of the month: The Wii has gained 1 million units more than the 360 in just 4 months.

Click for full content:

Psychotext said:
Can someone help me out with this? I'm trying to work out the launch aligned NPD figures and I think the values I have are a little off. Do these seem roughly right to the sales agers in the know?

As of month 21
Wii: 11.86m
360: 5.84m
PS3: 5.24m

I have, at month 21:

360: 5,92m
PS3: 5,08m
Wii: 11,41m

And at month 22 (this month):

360: 6,20m
PS3: 5,27m
Wii: 11,86m

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wow at the PSP and DS numbers, at this rate Sony and Nintendo wont need to do a damn thing about making their successors.

Fady K

OldJadedGamer said:
But as GAF has told me millions of times, the PS3 isn't just selling as a games machine. Don't forget it's the best Blu-ray player on the market and the follow up machine to best selling video game system of all time. The "value" of the PS3 should have it skyrocketing ahead of the 360 according to GAF of course.

Does this mean that consumers aren't seeing the value of Blu-ray?

The value of Blu-ray? Maybe when the war over HD-DVD was over for a few months. But that was 8 months ago. Neither you can claim that Blu-Ray was a relevant factor this time nor can i claim that Blu-Ray wasnt a relevant factor this time without supporting evidence for the month.

WarLox

GSG Flash said:
Poor showing this month by both the 360 and PS3. I expect the 360 to outsell the PS3 in September too, but I think the PS3 will outsell the 360 on atleast two of the next 3 months.

funnyfatboy.gif

Leondexter said:
I have, at month 21:

360: 5,92m
PS3: 5,08m
Wii: 11,41m

And at month 22 (this month):

360: 6,20m
PS3: 5,27m
Wii: 11,86m
Thanks. I think I need to take a look at some of my older numbers! :D

jimbo

Banned
pilonv1 said:
10k? Hell no. 1k? Maybe.

Actually it already happened, in Japan, but never the less. ToV sold 10,000 360 bundles alone and then some. And that was before the price drop in Japan.

So who is to say those 2 didn't sell the extra 10k units. Not that it matters.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Thanks to the awesome Vista updates I missed the first fifteen pages of this thread. While disappointed in not being able to participate real time, this has been one hell of a ride.

Thanks, GAF, once again, for providing me with entertainment. :D

Haunted

PantherLotus said:
August 2008 NPD LotusCharts

NPD Fact of the month: The Wii has gained 1 million units more than the 360 in just 4 months.
Thanks for the charts once again (they're so pretty), but Jesus Christ, drop the next-gen moniker and replace it with current-gen or something already.

Just found Michael Pachter's predictions for NPD from a few days go...

"The PlayStation 3 will outsell both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation Portable, with 225,000 for the former and 200,000 for the latter pair."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Haunted said:
Thanks for the charts once again (they're so pretty), but Jesus Christ, drop the next-gen moniker and replace it with current-gen or something already.

yeah no shit. you tell me what gen it is and i'll never use next-gen again, at least this gen.

jimbo

Banned
Fady K said:
I didnt say it was supposed to sell great :) I said in comparison to what the PS3 had for the month - aka, nothing but Disgaea 3 - the 360 had a 50$ cut on the 20GB models (like it wasnt cheap enough already ;) ) and to top that off - getting the most important RPG released on either the Wii/PS3/360 thus far, and just because Too Human turned out to not be so good doesnt mean it wasnt hyped as a big exclusive ;)

No spin. The 360 clearly won by 10k units - thats a fact. But its not a big deal when you consider the factors honestly. Maybe you should remove your fanboy goggles and realize that "10k units of 360 sold over the PS3" is weak.

In the US? Are you high?

And it's not that the 360 underperformed due to these "great factors" like you are trying to spin.

It's that obviously these weren't "great factors". Otherwise it would have had better sales. Like it will when GOW2 comes out. Now if THAT game doesn't move some units, you can come in here and post that.

Firestorm

I'm one of those who's really interested in seeing how Vesperia did. Come on jRPG 360 sales. I really didn't expect it to hit the top 10 (did anyone who knows the series expect that?)

Dragon

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Just found Michael Pachter's predictions for NPD from a few days go...

"The PlayStation 3 will outsell both the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation Portable, with 225,000 for the former and 200,000 for the latter pair."

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Yeah he was really far off there.

Darkman M

Firestorm said:
I'm one of those who's really interested in seeing how Vesperia did. Come on jRPG 360 sales. I really didn't expect it to hit the top 10 (did anyone who knows the series expect that?)

I think the game will sell better then alot of people think, i just dont expect to see any numbers until september NPD. The game was only out about a week for this npd numbers.

jimbo

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Yeah he was really far off there.

Clearly he stopped listening to GAF and started getting his numbers from the site that shall not be named who had the PS3 outselling the 360 by about 20k a week for August:lol

WrikaWrek

Banned
Fady K said:
I didnt say it was supposed to sell great :) I said in comparison to what the PS3 had for the month - aka, nothing but Disgaea 3 - the 360 had a 50$ cut on the 20GB models (like it wasnt cheap enough already ;) ) and to top that off - getting the most important RPG released on either the Wii/PS3/360 thus far, and just because Too Human turned out to not be so good doesnt mean it wasnt hyped as a big exclusive ;)

No spin. The 360 clearly won by 10k units - thats a fact. But its not a big deal when you consider the factors honestly. Maybe you should remove your fanboy goggles and realize that "10k units of 360 sold over the PS3" is weak.

Too Human wasn't hyped as a big exclusive, and had tons of negative press, and people hated the demo.

Vesperia is a tales Rpg, basically unknown to the Xbox userbase, and it got released at the end of August. That "price drop" which came with the troll "not cheap enough", wasn't a true price drop, and not even sure how widespread it was.

The 360 was expected to perform under the PS3, so it wasn't even expected(outselling it). And this right before a big price drop that was announced, which means it must've affected the sales of the system.

360 didn't outsold the PS3 because the sales went up, it outsold the PS3 because the PS3 managed to do even worse.

Fady K

jimbo said:
In the US? Are you high?

And it's not that the 360 underperformed due to these "great factors" like you are trying to spin.

It's that obviously these weren't "great factors". Otherwise it would have had better sales. Like it will when GOW2 comes out. Now if THAT game doesn't move some units, you can come in here and post that.

High? What 360/PS3/Wii RPG was as big and good as Tales of Vesperia? Barely any even came out. And..uh...I didnt say 360 underperformed :D Shows how much you read my post - let me point it out for you: "in comparison to what the PS3 had for the month" and "The 360 clearly won by 10k units - thats a fact. But its not a big deal when you consider the factors honestly" - and in here I was referring to the "factors" of the PS3 - higher price, no exclusive mixed in with the two cool 360 exclusives alongside a $50 price drop. Quite different than what you considered my "factors" were.

And of couuurse GoW2 is going to be healthy.

Syntek

Darkman M said:
I think the game will sell better then alot of people think, i just dont expect to see any numbers until september NPD. The game was only out about a week for this npd numbers.

Depends on where the expectation is. First week sale in Japan was like 90k right? And that's on a 600k userbase. Is it too much to expect first week sale on a userbase nearly 20X larger to pull in much higher number?

Dragon

Banned
xS1TH L0RDx said:
so did anyone ever explain why the 360 selling 10k more units than ps3 this month is doom and gloom for ps3?

Because people made a big deal when it was the opposite, because there was a price drop, because GoW2 because because because.

Both HD consoles have horrendous console sales IMO.

Narag

xS1TH L0RDx said:
so did anyone ever explain why the 360 selling 10k more units than ps3 this month is doom and gloom for ps3?
No doubt for the same unexplained reasons that the PS3 outselling the 360 netted similar reactions from the other camp.

xS1TH L0RDx said:
Doesn't really have much to do with the 360. It's the decline of the PS3's sales following the MGS4 bump which is making them look bad. These numbers might be a little off, but here's the rough PS3 NPD sales this year in weekly format:

Code:
Jan: 67.25k p/w
Feb: 70.20k p/w
Mar: 51.40k p/w
Apr: 46.75k p/w
May: 52.18k p/w
Jun: 81.10k p/w
Jul: 56.23k p/w
Aug: 46.35k p/w

September's should be pretty interesting - assuming there's a decent level of stock on the shelves.

Hcoregamer00

thuway said:
I was hoping to see Vesperia in the top 10. I don't want to believe that JRPGs are a dying genre :(.

The truth hearts, doesn't it.

JRPG's are dying in the USA, and the "savior" keeps getting delayed.

Darkman M

Syntek said:
Depends on where the expectation is. First week sale in Japan was like 90k right? And that's on a 600k userbase. Is it too much to expect first week sale on a userbase nearly 20X larger to pull in much higher number?

It was over 100k in japan i think, alot of places sold out of tales in NA the first week, but that's probably due to it being under shipped which could also mean it sold better then they expected. I think it will be the best selling tales game in north America out doing symphonia and abyss.

Narag said:
No doubt for the same unexplained reasons that the PS3 outselling the 360 netted similar reactions from the other camp.

*shruggs* it was stupid back then, it's still stupid now.

the poster above you quoted and answered my question as well, thanks, but they also mentioned that both hd consoles are doing horrible right now. I share that opinion. I would've expected both ps3 and 360 to be selling at least 100k more units right now.
Both consoles have great libraries, you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you denied it.

...aaaaand I'm continuously astonished as to the sales of the wii. nothing can be said that hasn't already been said about it...but jesus. wow.

Finally, I'm a little disappointed that too human didn't do better. here's to next month *raises can of diet dr pepper*

Jesse2040

xS1TH L0RDx said:
so did anyone ever explain why the 360 selling 10k more units
than ps3 this month is doom and gloom for ps3?

Dude, 10k in the real world is like 10,000,000 million in the fanboy world. By that margin, I am surprised fanboys aren't declaring the PS3 obsolete.

Haunted

PantherLotus said:
yeah no shit. you tell me what gen it is and i'll never use next-gen again, at least this gen.
current-gen
this generation
now-gen
seventh generation
_______-gen

Anything is better than using 'next-gen' three years into this generation.

Fady K said:
High? What 360/PS3/Wii RPG was as big and good as Tales of Vesperia? Barely any even came out. And..uh...I didnt say 360 underperformed :D Shows how much you read my post - let me point it out for you: "in comparison to what the PS3 had for the month" and "The 360 clearly won by 10k units - thats a fact. But its not a big deal when you consider the factors honestly" - and in here I was referring to the "factors" of the PS3 - higher price, no exclusive mixed in with the two cool 360 exclusives alongside a $50 price drop. Quite different than what you considered my "factors" were.

Lost Odyssey and Oblivion could both be considered bigger RPG's. Both sold a shit ton more too.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Did Too Human have any TV advertising? Mercs 2 had a ton so I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit the top 10 or just outside the top 10 for September.

jimbo

Banned
Fady K said:

Lost Odyssey and arguably Blue Dragon(although not as popular in the US, but still of higher budget and more hype than ToV).

Once again you were trying to create artificial factors. No one was claiming last month that TOV and Too Human were going to push consoles in August.

ToV in Japan yes. ToV in the US, NO.

Lost Odyssey and perhaps The Last Remnant? Yes. The US market favors FF and clones when it comes to JRPGs, not cartoony, or cel shaded ones. Its biased towards flashy, high budget titles.

Hcoregamer00

jimbo said:
Lost Odyssey.

Once again you were trying to create artificial factors. No one was claiming last month that TOV and Too Human were going to push consoles in August.

ToV in Japan yes. ToV in the US, NO.

Lost Odyssey and perhaps The Last Remnant? Yes. The US market favors FF and clones when it comes to JRPGs, not cartoony, or cel shaded ones. Its biased towards flashy, high budget titles.

That bodes real well for Valkyria Chronicles

:/

DevelopmentArrested said:
Broadband exists.
Yes, I'm aware of that as I've been using broadband for nearly 10 years. It's even speedier in Japan!

However, his gifs slow down the actual hardware I'm on, which is a brand-new Macbook. But hey, my fault. I know as well as anyone that NPD threads aren't about discussion, they're about posting funny pictures and gifs.

andthebeatgoeson

jimbo said:
Yikes. The Wii is more non-gamer than I thought.
I know some people like to think other wise but I would count Madden as a casual game. In the dumbest sense. I mean, if we are gonna draw a fine line between casual and hardcore, I don't think of Madden as core.

Now, this is ignoring the retardedness of the whole deal/categorization.

Edit: beaten with a redheaded step child.

Top Bottom