• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 30th 2019 - The new Tool album

Shelbutt

Damn, this year is going to be good for music. Earlier this year Disturbed released Evolution, Rammstein Drops their first album in 10 years next friday, now Tool?! Fucking rad. Even tho I'm not a huge fan of Tool I'm excited for the fans

Damn, this year is going to be good for music. Earlier this year Disturbed released Evolution, Rammstein Drops their first album in 10 years next friday, now Tool?! Fucking rad. Even tho I'm not a huge fan of Tool I'm excited for the fans

What's the new Disturbed album like? I love Believe, it's a great metal album with great lyrics.

Shelbutt

What's the new Disturbed album like? I love Believe, it's a great metal album with great lyrics.
I liked a few of the songs but to be totally honest it wasn't anything to lose your mind over. BUT It has also been since release since I've listened to it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well I saw them, and honestly I wasn't that blown away. Animals as Leaders was the same night and I wish I went to that instead.

The new songs were pretty good, but are both longer and quieter than some of their heaviest stuff.

Their sound just comes off a bit dated now, because the guitar leaves so much empty space in most songs I feel the drummer and bass player have to overplay constantly to fill the void. Danny Carey kills it like always. Honestly, the way the mix was, he pretty much carried the entire show. Maynard purposely hid almost the entire show. He was set up beside the drummer in the back, with no lights on him at all. All you could even see is an occasional dark silouhette of his mohawk, and him just doing lunges lol.

It wasn't bad at all, but as someone who has gone to several of these 90s reunion type shows, both Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins were significantly better, which honestly surprised me. And the stage show in terms of effects was not as crazy either. Lots of old CG video playing that looks 20 years old, and a couple cool lasers that made pyramid shapes.

Last edited:

Ixion

Tool's very first EP, "72826", was added to most of the streaming platforms today (with the exception of Spotify for whatever reason).

This is the first time anything Tool has been put on a streaming platform. People are theorizing that Tool will add one release each Friday until the new album comes out on August 30th since their number of releases line up with the number of weeks.

Well I saw them, and honestly I wasn't that blown away. Animals as Leaders was the same night and I wish I went to that instead.

The new songs were pretty good, but are both longer and quieter than some of their heaviest stuff.

Their sound just comes off a bit dated now, because the guitar leaves so much empty space in most songs I feel the drummer and bass player have to overplay constantly to fill the void. Danny Carey kills it like always. Honestly, the way the mix was, he pretty much carried the entire show. Maynard purposely hid almost the entire show. He was set up beside the drummer in the back, with no lights on him at all. All you could even see is an occasional dark silouhette of his mohawk, and him just doing lunges lol.

It wasn't bad at all, but as someone who has gone to several of these 90s reunion type shows, both Soundgarden and Smashing Pumpkins were significantly better, which honestly surprised me. And the stage show in terms of effects was not as crazy either. Lots of old CG video playing that looks 20 years old, and a couple cool lasers that made pyramid shapes.

Tool have been touring consistently for a long time even without a new album, so this isn't a reunion tour. And yeah, Maynard has been in the back without a spotlight for about 15 years now. As for the guitar leaving empty space and the other band members overplaying, the great thing about Tool is that it's not just another metal band with a full-on shredding (often wanking) guitar player being prominent the whole time. A lot of the most famous and memorable riffs from Tool are actually from the bassist, Justin Chancellor. Tool is very rhythmic based, so Justin and Danny are very prominent and Adam is more just a part of the puzzle (even though he is the main leader and driving force of the band).

I've only seen them live once back in 2011, which I'd say is still the best concert I've ever seen. With that said, I have not heard the two new songs yet since I'm waiting for the studio versions.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I am excited and will take a listen but I don't know if that magic will still be there. I kinda feel like this is one of those sequels 20 years later like Dumber and Dumberer.

Has time moved on, have I moved on? I still love their old stuff but I was a different person when that music came out, it was a different time and place.

Ixion

I am excited and will take a listen but I don't know if that magic will still be there. I kinda feel like this is one of those sequels 20 years later like Dumber and Dumberer.

Has time moved on, have I moved on? I still love their old stuff but I was a different person when that music came out, it was a different time and place.

I can't fathom the album being anything worse than "very good" at a minimum. Tool are infamous for taking a shit load of time writing their songs; exploring every avenue on where a song goes before ultimately deciding what works best. The band members are also just top-notch musicians.

With that said, apparently every song is at least 10 minutes long, so it's possible their new songs could be a bit too drawn out. That also means they certainly won't have any hit songs. Also, Maynard is an x-factor since his "instrument" (his voice) isn't a machine like the other three band members. Not to mention the lyrics could be disappointing.

So yeah, it would be wise to not expect the greatest album of all time, but it definitely won't be bad or mediocre.

Last edited:

kegkilla

Banned
Not getting my hopes up for this. The bootlegs of new stuff from the shows hasn't impressed me and it's been almost 15 years since their last album. That's such a ridiculous amount of time, they're completely different people at this point in their lives than who they were when they were the band we remember them as.

Also, Maynard seems like a stereotypical Cali cuck at this point in his life.

Why do peeps here (and I see it on social media too) refer to how long it's been between albums and how they're all different people now. Like wtf? Every second we change. Every moment we're different.

On every song being 10+ mins. Hell yeah! Sick to death of short arranged songs. Let the music lead wherever it goes. (Insert spiral out meme here.)

I am on a break of my regular music till this new album comes out. Been only (90%, or where possible) listening to classical music. It's quite refreshing as I didn't know any classical before.

But I'm dying for this new Tool, new time, long song moment come August.

Ixion

Also, Maynard seems like a stereotypical Cali cuck at this point in his life.

Maynard is an x-factor for sure, but I have faith his lyrics will be good. A couple years ago at a concert he made a little speech about how the politicians and news media on both sides are "not your enemy" but that "ignorance is your enemy". He's also talked in interviews that for his lyrics he tries to talk about things that challenge the individual to reflect and push themselves instead of just complaining about people in power or something. And from what I've read about the two new songs, the lyrics weren't cringy as some people feared. So yeah I doubt they'll have any songs about the KKK taking over the world like new Ministry, Green Day, Prophets of Rage, etc.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
New logo revealed on Sunday via their IG account

Each day this week they've been dropping their album covers in whats being speculated as an album countdown

The new logo appeared Sunday

Monday:

Last night:

Which means Aenima sometime today, Lateralus tomorrow and 10,000 Days on Friday

On Saturday it'll be 10,000 days since Opiate released (the timing is p fuckin crazy)

New album will possibly be revealed on Saturday. Or they'll give us blue balls and reveal it Monday. Sony's quarterly's are next week too. Something's gotta give. Shit is out in almost a month :messenger_grimmacing_

Ixion

Yeah, not to mention that some people in the comments theorized that the album reveal and single will be revealed this weekend, and the Tool instagram account liked those comments. So this weekend definitely looks like the big reveal. The question is just which day during the weekend....

HotPocket69

Banned
Wouldn't surprise me if "Invincible" is the single. You could easily chop off some minutes of the jammies to make it radio friendly and lyrically it just kinda matches up with them being away for so long, like "Hey we're back":

Cry out loud
Bold and proud
Where I've been
Here I am

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
God damn it's getting close now. Bought myself an insane new pair of headphones just in time. Can't wait to listen to this thing on repeat while I'm grinding in WoW Classic.

I actually hope they don't release any new music before the 30th, we don't need it at this point. Descending and Invincible alone are enough of a tease.

HotPocket69

Banned
God damn it's getting close now. Bought myself an insane new pair of headphones just in time. Can't wait to listen to this thing on repeat while I'm grinding in WoW Classic.

I actually hope they don't release any new music before the 30th, we don't need it at this point. Descending and Invincible alone are enough of a tease.

Gibs me dat studio version of Invincible!

Yes! The only time I get for JRE these days are the instant classic ones. Will watch for sure. Also, probably don't need to say but check out Puscifer's album "Conditions of My Parole".

So cannot wait for the new announcements.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Anyone know what time Rogan usually goes live?

Tool avatars to celebrate, boys

HotPocket69

Banned
Not live yet.

BTW, who is your avatar? I can't decide if it's a game dev or a rock star!? But your tag is (Eddie) Vedder, so I can't figure it out?

Its neither actually

Its Alexandria Ocasio Cortez lmao

Been seeing on Reddit that since Rogan is on the west coast his stuff doesn't usually pop up until the evening since he apparently records in the late afternoon. Im on east coast so Im expecting it between 7 and 10PM EST

Last edited:
Its neither actually

Its Alexandria Ocasio Cortez lmao

Been seeing on Reddit that since Rogan is on the west coast his stuff doesn't usually pop up until the evening since he apparently records in the late afternoon. Im on east coast so Im expecting it between 7 and 10PM EST

AOC? It totally looks like a funky bass player, male too!

HotPocket69

Banned

Justin :messenger_horns:

Look at these handsome motherfuckers

Tool.jpg

Cant believe Danny is almost 60

Last edited:
I have an odd history with TOOL. I remember my mates listening to Aenima before me, and I thought it was ok. I never got into Undertow, still to this day I'm not familiar with that album and I don't care too much to check it out. I probably should considering. Aenima is a grower and I still haven't listened to it enough. I get Metroid vibes from some tracks, and I love the lyrics.

Then I remember the hype in the media (KERRANG! magazine probably) at how good Lateralus was, and my mates bought the CD and I asked to copy it (I was skint and rude). It was epic and we all loved that first listen. But it was still just another album over the years, even though it had already reached the immediate acclaim of classic.

I bought 10,000 Days second hand but didn't listen much until a few years after it was sitting on my CD shelf.

Then one day on the way to work I had it on my headphones just because... and I didn't listen to anything else on my commute for about 6 months. Nothing. Not even at home, it was just that album.

At one point after a few months, during Vicarious ("the universe is hostile" end build up of course), I had a realisation that this is it. Like, this is the pinnacle of musical bliss. Hundreds of years of Western music and this is it.

I tried to listen to Iron Maiden after that, I absolutely love Maiden, but it felt so stale, so slow, so plain in comparison.

Now, I know it isn't it, like, I recognise my own biased viewpoint, I'm aware music generally is subjective, and we all like different things based on our culture and background. But still.

I believe music can produce bliss, higher states of consciousness, happiness, whatever. One of my favourite Buddhist stories is of the Tibetan Yogi Milarepa, and he used to wander and sing and as the legends go, it was blissful to hear. But that's how I feel the TOOL album (10,000 Days/Lateralus) is, if you let it. There's no reason modern music can't have a transcendent touch. Which is probably why pop music, to me, sucks so much. There's no true bliss, it's all artificial.

I hope I don't sound like a douchebag. I just thought it'd be cool to share a story. Of course, I love all kinds of music, but it takes something truly special to have such a profound effect on the world. They say that The Beatle's album SPLHCB is the best album ever made because of the technological achievements and the pop perfection, but man, there is so much more to music than that.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I discovered the band back in '95-'96 when I was 13 or 14. A classmate would occasionally wear a hat with their old logo on it and I remember catching and loving the tail end of the "Prison Sex" video on an episode of Beavis & Butthead. Because they weren't played on my local radio rock stations at the time and the internet didn't really fully exist yet, I developed an early fascination with them despite not owning any albums or even hearing an entire song. I just knew I liked them and wanted more. I had never had that experience with a band before.

I remember coming home late from school sometime in the early Fall of 1996 and plopping down in front of the tube and putting on MTV. Within moments and with no introduction, the video for "Stinkfist" started to play (though back then MTV called it Track #1 due to the apparent foulness of the actual song name). Not ever in my life had I ever been so blown away not only through visuals, but with guitars, vocals, drums, everything. It was a shock to the senses that forever changed the way I ingested any sort of music. It's hard to put into words. I needed that album, but I knew it would be a bit of a pain to get my hands on it due to my mom being super strict and always checking out any sort of entertainment item before I bought it. I was the kid that had to sneak in the albums with the Parental Advisory sticker on them.

Luckily I had a friend who was a couple years older than me who basically bought every single alt rock album of the 90's, so he was my go to when I needed to hear something like Alice in Chains Unplugged or Helmet or Quicksand. And fortunately he owned Opiate and Undertow so I was able to listen to both of them fully a few times before Aenima dropped that October.

I bought Lateralus day one and I definitely teared up like a bitch on the way home when The Grudge started playing. First time a music album had ever done that to me. I was just so starved for their stuff at the time and remember it was five years since Aenima. It had felt like a lifetime had happened to me already since I was already out of high school and in college. It'll probably happen again when the new one drops since I was 20 fucking 4 when 10,000 Days released and now I'm almost 38.

crowbrow

Banned
First album I heard was Undertow and I was hooked. I don't know what I feel about this new album. It seems so weird to have a new Tool album. I acknowledge that I'm not as excited as I was back in the day when a new Tool album came out but I'm definitely getting it. It's probably the last band for which I would buy a music CD.

The album name is, at first sight, a bit odd. I went to bed trying to remember it and I had the word "inoculated" stuck in my head instead lol.

Will probably look up the definition of inoculum after the first listen. I'm an English teacher so I should be able to figure it out 😂 but isn't inoculation a type of protection from something, therefore inoculum must be the drug itself (music). Which relates to the idea of what Maynard famously said about the meaning of their band name and the purpose of their music, i.e. "Save me, TOOL!" I can't wait for this!

Will watch the podcast later with the wife. She likes Maynard after I took her to see APC last Christmas.

IT'S HAPPENING!!!

Last edited:

AV

Tried waiting for a live broadcast but it seems they never did it live. Only about 20-25 minutes into the interview, I fucking love how they do the announcements and then go straight to wine. Maynard definitely set that up in advance just to mess with people.

New album name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue but hey, it's just a name. It'll grow on me. Excited to see the album cover and lead track soon.

Since we're doing Tool stories, I heard of them in a pretty weird way. Back in 2004 (I was 11/12 at the time), during the "death of the old west" of the internet, I was trawling some random Flash game forum when I noticed some guy's signature - four giant letters, T O O L where each letter would link to a different member of the band's bio. I just thought it was so interesting how crazy this guy was about this little rock band, and the name, TOOL, it just hits you in the face. Across the next two years I listened to pieces of their music hear and there, gradually building up a love and appreciation. 2006 rolled around and 10,000 Days came out, and that was the moment everything came together for me. I wasn't trying to catch up or understand what I'd been missing, I was there in that moment and I understood just what made this band special. The new album comes out a week before my 27th birthday, I've been waiting literally half my life for this thing.

sKHzdd6.png

Production and mastering are, according to Wikipedia, done by the same guys that did 10,000 Days. I hope the sound is beefy as. I hope they don't do a Metallica and mess with the drum sound. I have faith it will be heavier in sound quality than 10,000 Days. I so love the heaviness sound quality to their last album.

Also, reading the comments on Twitter, an inoculum seems to be from biology, a form of experimentation. Like with the lyrics from Eat the Elephant, it might be that Fear Inoculum refers to how we condition ourselves to conformity and spread fear through ignorance.

Dunno though! I don't like to over analyse lyrics, so I'll stop now. It's the riffs I'm waiting for anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom