• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 30th 2019 - The new Tool album

Ixion

Adam Jones is on the cover of the new Guitar World magazine, which some people got their hands on today. Some tidbits:
  • Album is 7 tracks, 80 minutes long
  • Alex Grey is involved with the music video
  • Guitar World has listened to the album and said the following:
    • "It's high-concept, the musicianship is otherworldly, and its production is a work of art in itself. The album also offers absolutely nothing in the way of a potential single or a traditional song-structure as either has no place within this record's concept, emblematic of a band that's leaned in even harder on its legendary altruism and disregard for industry norms."
    • "Fear Inoculum sounds gigantic. It's got a very meditative, cinematic vibe, and sounds like a single, cohesive piece of work."

Gargus

Banned
I have no idea what to expect but I am keeping myself tempered as I know it wont be some ground breaking album from the days of old. But I am still excited for it.

Im guessing its going to be more slower paced as they are getting older, Im expecting it to not have the teeth they used to have on their albums. But then again I loved the song 10,000 days and it was long and slow but I can relax and sit back and listen and get drawn into it. Kind of brings out those same feelings in me as some pink floyd songs did like the final cut or when the tigers broke free.

This will be the first cd I have bought in years.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's high-concept, the musicianship is otherworldly, and its production is a work of art in itself. The album also offers absolutely nothing in the way of a potential single or a traditional song-structure as either has no place within this record's concept, emblematic of a band that's leaned in even harder on its legendary altruism and disregard for industry norms. Fear Inoculum sounds gigantic. It's got a very meditative, cinematic vibe, and sounds like a single, cohesive piece of work.

Didn't think I could be more excited until now.

I used to be really big tool back in high school and college. I suggest you guys try to look for something else. Like right now I'm really into the red hot chili peppers

How many layers of irony is this post on?

HotPocket69

Banned
Up on Spotify

F273150-C-B844-45-E0-A5-B9-A3224-ABD2127.png

• Love
Reactions: AV

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
So weird not having to switch to a different app on my phone to load up Tool. Literally just De La Soul and some old Jay-Z left on that thing now.

z5fiv9juylu21.gif

This link was buried in the Reddit thread posted above. Posting here for clarity.

A full interview, no paywall, with Justin Chancellor on the new album.

Edit: Sorry, this is from 2018, not new (I thought it was new).

Last edited:
I have not been blown away yet by the two new songs. Even when I saw them live, not blown away.

But I am really eager to give it another shot on album.

HotPocket69

Banned
Pretty bummed that Salival isn't on the streaming services. Some of Tool's coolest songs are on that album, like "Pushit (Live)", "Merkaba", and "You Lied".

….and Maynard's Dick

The live version of Third Eye is real good too. And the studio version of No Quarter.

Damn.....

Last edited:

Ixion

….and Maynard's Dick

The live version of Third Eye is real good too. And the studio version of No Quarter.

Damn.....

Yep true. Those are great songs too. Curious to hear what Tool has to say about it at some point. Maybe they just don't want to include a "side release" as part of their albums right now since a lot of people are discovering Tool for the first time and perhaps Tool only wants people to go through their core releases.

But most likely it's just some legal thing...

Ixion

So apparently all the albums had slight remastering done for the streaming release, with the one exception being 10,000 days. An audio engineer over on r/toolband said he did an analysis and confirmed it, and he said Opiate sees the greatest difference.

I haven't had the chance to listen to the streaming versions yet, but now I'm even more excited. A lot of people are reporting that new details can be heard that they didn't hear before.

This could also be why Salival isn't on streaming services. Perhaps they still need to remaster it.

Dude, those USED Salival CD prices on Amazon:messenger_anguished:

Well damn

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Current top artist on LastFM and they're songs are dominating the Top 20

AV

IT'S UP LADS

Yep, it's fucking fantastic. Lots of trace elements of their previous work in there. Maynard sounds phenomenal on this.

Last edited:

Drake

Does Maynard not age? His voice sounds exactly the same now as it did on Undertow or Aenima.

edit: The song is really good. It doesn't have a hook, but that's ok a lot of TOOL song's don't. I dig it. The guitars and drums are awesome especially at the end.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
Im kinda speechless. I am without speech.

I really dig it. It kinda reminds me of a more uplifiting "Pushit". Loving the soundscape-y stuff they're doing.

Those final 40 or so seconds man, fuck. As soon as Adam really starts getting going they just slam it into those hard end chords lol

AV

I can't fuckin' wait to hear what this sounds like in the context of the album between the 6 other tracks. It's easy to forget we still haven't heard the studio versions of Invincible and Descending yet either.

This thing's gonna be huge.

I can't fuckin' wait to hear what this sounds like in the context of the album between the 6 other tracks. It's easy to forget we still haven't heard the studio versions of Invincible and Descending yet either.

This thing's gonna be huge.

So this song is brand new today? I might give it one listen then. I was avoiding the live YouTube versions of Invincible and Descending, but if this is brand new... Back in ten minutes!

Drake

I just went ahead and pre-order the special edition of the album. $45, fuck it.

A special Limited Edition physical package that includes a CD in a tri-fold Soft Pack Video Brochure featuring a 4" HD rechargeable screen with exclusive video footage, a USB charging cable, a 2 watt speaker and a 36 page insert book and MP3 download card

AV

I just went ahead and pre-order the special edition of the album. $45, fuck it.

A special Limited Edition physical package that includes a CD in a tri-fold Soft Pack Video Brochure featuring a 4" HD rechargeable screen with exclusive video footage, a USB charging cable, a 2 watt speaker and a 36 page insert book and MP3 download card

Just spotted it on Amazon USA, not on UK yet. I'm just holding out for the vinyl, but of course Tool made their new album into a god damn interactive electronic art piece.

I listened. It went quick. It felt like the main focus of the song was the vocal melody. Probably a grower, but need to wait for the album for context. I like the sound production, slightly snappier than 10,000 Days, but still heavy, perfect. Now gimme those bone-crunching riffs!

Top Bottom