• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

August 30th 2019 - The new Tool album

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I listened. It went quick. It felt like the main focus of the song was the vocal melody. Probably a grower, but need to wait for the album for context. I like the sound production, slightly snappier than 10,000 Days, but still heavy, perfect. Now gimme those bone-crunching riffs!

Descending is way more riffy, can't believe you've had the self-restraint to not listen to it and Invincible yet, good on you. I think I've heard every live recording on YouTube at this point.

HotPocket69

Banned
I listened. It went quick. It felt like the main focus of the song was the vocal melody. Probably a grower, but need to wait for the album for context. I like the sound production, slightly snappier than 10,000 Days, but still heavy, perfect. Now gimme those bone-crunching riffs!

That final two minutes feels like one big lead up into bone crunching territory :messenger_grimmacing_

And then it ends :messenger_weary:

HotPocket69

Banned
Descending is way more riffy, can't believe you've had the self-restraint to not listen to it and Invincible yet, good on you. I think I've heard every live recording on YouTube at this point.

Invincible is just as much if not more riffy. That song kills. The studio version is going to melt my fucking face off.

Listened twice now. Yeah, I love it. I love the way the guitar parts explore an idea and the drums pound away below it. The time signatures just feel natural. The middle guitar riff, on first listen sounded 80s in progression, but on second listen is the "verse" riff expanded (they can be hummed together), and it just rocks.

Drake

Listened twice now. Yeah, I love it. I love the way the guitar parts explore an idea and the drums pound away below it. The time signatures just feel natural. The middle guitar riff, on first listen sounded 80s in progression, but on second listen is the "verse" riff expanded (they can be hummed together), and it just rocks.

For me at least I compare the listening experience to the song Rosetta Stoned. The more I listen to it the more I like it.

Drake

Lyrics if anyone is interested. It's not official or anything, but it sounds pretty spot on.

I'm still holding out for the full album, but I'm glad to see the positive reception! It's cool to hear that it sounds like Tool but also sounds new.

It's great. Hold out though. It'll be worth the wait to hear it all together. (You'll love it!)

Me too now, I'm out. Third listen, gets better every time. But I'm gonna wait for the whole album. 3 weeks.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Lyrics if anyone is interested. It's not official or anything, but it sounds pretty spot on.

Anyone else laugh when they heard Maynard sing "long overdue"?

YEAH, YEAH IT WAS

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Finished 1st listen, it's kinda boring. I don't hate it though at all. It's an easy listen.

Kind of have the same impression as the other new songs I've heard - bass player and drummer are playing out so hard to fill the space left by a weak guitar line / fuzzy tone. Maynard's always great too. 3 people in the band are crushing it. The song even sounds better when Adam literally stops playing and it's just the other 3.

The guitar honestly sounds best in the very beginning. Is that him playing it with a bow?

Can't find anywhere that is selling the album, I live in such a weird place (poor European country that doesn't like music).

Amazon UK seems to be currently only selling an MP3 version. Will wait I guess, but it's gonna be a hunt.

Is there a regular CD version, or will it only be the expensive edition?

I guess I'll have to order it specially from some indie store, if I can find one lol

Dagnammit!

AV

Can't find anywhere that is selling the album, I live in such a weird place (poor European country that doesn't like music).

Amazon UK seems to be currently only selling an MP3 version. Will wait I guess, but it's gonna be a hunt.

Is there a regular CD version, or will it only be the expensive edition?

I guess I'll have to order it specially from some indie store, if I can find one lol

Dagnammit!

Best I've found is the special edition for £34.41, can't vouch for the site personally:

Best I've found is the special edition for £34.41, can't vouch for the site personally:

I'll probably get the basic CD. I'm not much of a collector of anything really. Looks like I'll have to wait for sales to go up before shops around me will be selling it. I was hoping I could break the street date, but that seems unlikely now. Will probably be reading your views of the album on GAF while mine will still be in the post!

AV

I'll probably get the basic CD. I'm not much of a collector of anything really. Looks like I'll have to wait for sales to go up before shops around me will be selling it. I was hoping I could break the street date, but that seems unlikely now. Will probably be reading your views of the album on GAF while mine will still be in the post!

It'll be on all streaming services man, if you're not signed up to any just get a free trial for one before the album hits!

Ethelwulf

Hi there Gaf, first post in a long, long while. Just went through the song a fourth time. It is growing on me fast. Got some chills at many melody transition points, which is something TOOL does really good. Can't wait for whole release! Cheers to all. Fear inoculum's ot should be called TOOL - FEAR INOCULUM | OT | 10,000 days is long enough.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
The Aenima album is back on the Billboard 200 charts at #10

The last time it was on the top 10 was back in 1996

Billboard reports that the album has had a 5,900% increase in album units since their full discography became available on all digital and streaming services on August 2. 18,000 of the 33,000 counted units were album sales

Also Fear Inoculum has been sold out on Amazon for a week and is #1 in CDs and Vinyl

Ixion

The Aenima album is back on the Billboard 200 charts at #10

The last time it was on the top 10 was back in 1996

Also Fear Inoculum has been sold out on Amazon for a week and is #1 in CDs and Vinyl

Another record: "Fear Inoculum" is the longest song to ever hit the Billboard Top 100.

Also, it looks like the review embargo ends tomorrow. Metal Injection said they'll be posting a full track-by-track review tomorrow (Wednesday). See the last sentence in the article.

Ixion

Dose anyone know if they will do a music video for any of their songs??? Tool is the only band I will watch the music video for.

Here is what Adam Jones said in the recent Revolver interview:
"We've got big plans for videos. We have a couple in the making, and you'll see them when they come out."

So two videos in the works, but it seems like they might still be a little ways off. I wonder if we'll get one by the album launch....

AV

Track listing is up, spoilered in case people don't want to know for whatever reason.

uMQ5LKB.png

So that's what CCTrip stands for. Danny's little drum/synth thing they've been playing on tour. Really cool to see there's actually 3 more tracks than we were anticipating as well!

AV

Metal Injection track-by-track also up: https://metalinjection.net/reviews/tool-fear-inoculum-review

Some nice quotes:
it’s instrumentally heavy, veryheavy
this is easily the band’s most substantial and multidimensional offering to date
Carey’s work on this album is front and center, is never understated, and is far more complex than ever
It contains the forward thinking progressiveness and sonic capabilities of their last two albums, but the aggressive instrumental attack of their first two albums, ushering in a new experience that also pulls the band's career together, all while retaining the signature Tool sound

OMG those reviews. Those quotes. Perfect. How long now?! This is gonna be a dream album.

I wonder what salty publications will bomb it for political reasons.

I don't really rate NME magazine, but allmusic.com or Kerrang will be good to read.

HotPocket69

Banned
Aenima, 10,000 Days, Lateralus and Undertow are ALL on the Billboard Top 20. Holy shitballs.:messenger_open_mouth:

Needless to say, Tool are currently dominating the Top Rock Albums chart, which has AEnima at No. 1, Lateralus at No. 2, 10,000 Days at No. 4, Undertow at No. 5, and Opiate at No. 12. They’re the first artist in the history of the chart to claim four of its top five spots; the previous record holders were Linkin Park, who had three albums in the top five after the death of lead singer Chester Bennington.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Question:

is there a way to purchase the full digital version (including all bonus tracks), drm free, in the highest possible quality?

Question:

is there a way to purchase the full digital version (including all bonus tracks), drm free, in the highest possible quality?

Yeah, I want know too. I can't be having no 320kbs quality, it needs to be flac or cd. Let us know if you find out! I read rumours on reddit that there should be a regular CD release, not just the deluxe edition.

Top Bottom