• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 3.0 - Double the price, region locked and refused classification

Choc said:
this just reminds of

'or what you'll release the dogs or the bees or the dogs with bees in their mouth and when they bark they'll sting you, well go ahead, do your worst'
 

Bernbaum

Member
Fredescu said:
Has an AFL player ever pooed in a shoe and left the shoe in their hotel room and smeared some of the remaining poo on the walls of said hotel room?
That's as much a part of the proud institution of rugby league as is the six tackle rule you hater.
 
Why do people expect their sportsmen to be shining role models and paragons of virtue? Most of them have been living and breathing their sport since they were kids and were recruited for the major teams right out of high school. Any maturity they might gain from having to deal with the world as adults is deferred for as long as they still make the team.
 

Fredescu

Member
Completely agree with that VKS, and I've argued that same point many times over the years. I'm only making the point that whenever there's an AFL scandal, it tends to be from within the human realm of behaviour.
 
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Why do people expect their sportsmen to be shining role models and paragons of virtue? Most of them have been living and breathing their sport since they were kids and were recruited for the major teams right out of high school. Any maturity they might gain from having to deal with the world as adults is deferred for as long as they still make the team.
Mainly because of how much money they get paid. When a sportsman gets paid more than a nurse or a doctor we kind of expect them to act in a moral, upstanding way. Plus the fact they are worshiped and seen as role models for the youth of today. It would be nice if sporting culture would raise these people as great role models but sometimes it doesn't turn out that way. We only hear about the fuck ups though of course.
 

midonnay

Member
viciouskillersquirrel said:
Why do people expect their sportsmen to be shining role models and paragons of virtue? Most of them have been living and breathing their sport since they were kids and were recruited for the major teams right out of high school. Any maturity they might gain from having to deal with the world as adults is deferred for as long as they still make the team.

read that Allan Border had to learn how to use an ATM after he retired.
 
reptilescorpio said:
Mainly because of how much money they get paid. When a sportsman gets paid more than a nurse or a doctor we kind of expect them to act in a moral, upstanding way. Plus the fact they are worshiped and seen as role models for the youth of today. It would be nice if sporting culture would raise these people as great role models but sometimes it doesn't turn out that way. We only hear about the fuck ups though of course.

But a nurse or doctor will have a job until their at least 50. A professional sportsmen is lucky to still have his job when he's 35. And most of them are done or playing in the semi pro leagues by their late 20s.

If someone was paying me $100,000+ when I was 18 or 19 I probably would have done what Todd Carney has done too.

But you're right on the second point. The clubs and the leagues really should be trying to create a culture, through education especially, that this shit is just not on.
 
FallbackPants said:
But a nurse or doctor will have a job until their at least 50. A professional sportsmen is lucky to still have his job when he's 35. And most of them are done or playing in the semi pro leagues by their late 20s.

If someone was paying me $100,000+ when I was 18 or 19 I probably would have done what Todd Carney has done too.

But you're right on the second point. The clubs and the leagues really should be trying to create a culture, through education especially, that this shit is just not on.
Thankfully lately the clubs are getting players to keep up with Uni or a trade. Our gas plumber used to play AFL and his son got drafted into Geelong and had some hip surgery that has kept him out so far but he is loaded already and has been put into a side business for the time being.

The point of retiring early doesn't fit as most players will be set up with plenty of other work, whether it be in the sport or one of the many affiliated businesses that they have already been getting kick backs from. Look at all the footy players who have bars, restaurants or property that they are earning good money from. Plus moving into the media, etc. Plenty of money now days after sport.
 

Yagharek

Member
reptilescorpio said:
Just like knocking up school girls for St Kilda. Not as bad as fingers up bumholes though.

For crimes, its hard to top the Canterbury gang rapes. For sport rule breaking, its the Storm cheating saga. AFL has its own dirty laundry though for sure, but VKS has it dead on: none of these muppets should be allowed in schools, let alone worshipped to the degree they are. They are just human, cashed up at a young age and with a few too many bad eggs in amongst them.

The cream usually rises to the top but only after retirement.
 

Shaneus

Member
Damn, really hoping that my orders from the UK come today. Have one new 360 controller coming my way (first one I've bought since launch, not counting the wired one I have for PC) as well as Party Animals, de Blob 2 and Deathsmiles.

Son, I am excite.

RandomVince said:
The cream usually rises to the top but only after retirement.
Except for Ablett Sr., amirite?
 
RandomVince said:
They are just human, cashed up at a young age and with a few too many bad eggs in amongst them. The cream usually rises to the top but only after retirement.
The biggest concern is that the money is getting bigger which makes it a worry that the club mentality will be to let them do whatever they want in order to keep them happy rather than channel these rich young people down a less destructive path than has happened in the past. The constant stream of problems shows that it isn't quite working for organised sport, especially here in Australia. Andrew Symonds was banished for his disregard for the culture brought on by the governing body, maybe the same needs to be done in AFL and NRL.
 
Shaneus said:
Except for Ablett Sr., amirite?
Man I ran into him a dozen times in Geelong. He used to frequent the Blockbuster in Belmont. He hung out with my ex's friends as they were druggies and hoe bags. Really nice bloke. My best mate worshiped him and had a great experience with him and Ablett even gave him some advice on his kicking, childhood dream of kicking the footy in a backyard with Ablett complete.
 

elfinke

Member
Just saw Andrew Demetriou (AFL chief) on ABC exclaiming - with some shock and annoyance - at the lack of 'presumption of innocence' being granted to footy players.

He's not going to find many sympathetic ears with that line of thought (and I even champion for it), for either of the major codes.
 

Yagharek

Member
DualShadow said:
The sad thing is, all the positive things that sports people do is overshadowed by all the bullshit and controversy.

Nah, the sad thing is that all the good things other people do is overshadowed by sports people.

Compare and contrast mental health funding in Tasmania versus sportsground funding.
 
RandomVince said:
What do you mean about Andrew symonds?
he didn't want to change his lifestyle to suit the work that CA wanted him to do. They wanted him to turn up to meetings and stay out of pubs while his drinking was a big issue (for both the media and his health). He didn't want to change so he had to leave the 'job'. Maybe the AFL needs to be a bit more definitive with their contracts in that they expect anyone invloved in the clubs to restrain themselves from anything that would get them in trouble with the police and to not make bets. Although that would piss off the betting agencys.
 

Deeku

Member
VOOK said:
Cool.

Haven't been to one in aaaaaages so might go this time. The last one I went to was a pokemon (diamond?) one and I distinctly remember this 30 something (or maybe 20 something) guy with long red hair, a beard and a outback style hat jumping around to grab all the plushies the host was throwing into the crowd of mostly kids.

Oh and also, when this kid was trading pokemans with me, his mum stood next to him to make sure that I wasn't going to abduct him or something lol.
 
RandomVince said:
Nah, the sad thing is that all the good things other people do is overshadowed by sports people.

Compare and contrast mental health funding in Tasmania versus sportsground funding.
Not to meantion the lives that are harmed by sporting clubs raising revenue from gambling (and previously smoking).
 

Yagharek

Member
reptilescorpio said:
Not to meantion the lives that are harmed by sporting clubs raising revenue from gambling (and previously smoking).

Im pretty certain the tas govt has also been funding horse racing more than mental health, or at least cutting the budget of the latter whilst funding new pacing facilities to an unhealthy tune.

And that's an industry with a symbiotic link to gambling.
 

Choc

Banned
Westfield Chatswood
Monday 3rd Oct 10am–5pm & Tuesday 4th Oct 9am–5:30pm
Entrance to Albert Ave Level 1 Centre Court

good job fucking idiots

work days?!
 
RandomVince said:
Nah, the sad thing is that all the good things other people do is overshadowed by sports people.

Compare and contrast mental health funding in Tasmania versus sportsground funding.

Also true, but I was talking specifically about sports with my comment.
 

Kerrby

Banned
Gazunta said:
It's as if the majority of Nintendo's audience are school children or something

Nintendo going casual confirmed?

I still say we go with AusGAF 4.0 - Final Fantasy XIV Edition :p.
 

Choc

Banned
codswallop said:
School holidays.

where teh majority of kids in sydney will be in day care because tehir parents both work to pay a mortgage


and therefore not in the shops like they would be on the weekend with their parents, the disposeable income people


makes no sense
 
4usGAF: Refused Classification

Choc said:
where teh majority of kids in sydney will be in day care because tehir parents both work to pay a mortgage
Nintendo hates families confirmed? Wii U only for the super rich Telstra execs with nannies?
 
YAY, my stuff arrived from overseas!

YAY, it was signature required.

YAY, they didn't leave it.

YAY, had to arrange an alternate time for drop off.

YAY, the earliest is Monday.

YAY, I won't have it for the weekend.

Boo hoo for me.

:(
 

Fredescu

Member
Choc said:
where teh majority of kids in sydney will be in day care because tehir parents both work to pay a mortgage


and therefore not in the shops like they would be on the weekend with their parents, the disposeable income people
Have you never been to a shopping center during school holidays?
 
RandomVince said:
Im pretty certain the tas govt has also been funding horse racing more than mental health, or at least cutting the budget of the latter whilst funding new pacing facilities to an unhealthy tune.

And that's an industry with a symbiotic link to gambling.
I hate the way our society works. :(

Quick! Who wants in on the beach?
 
Planet_JASE said:
YAY, my stuff arrived from overseas!

YAY, it was signature required.

YAY, they didn't leave it.

YAY, had to arrange an alternate time for drop off.

YAY, the earliest is Monday.

YAY, I won't have it for the weekend.

Boo hoo for me.

:(
Same here. Assholes never bother to ring the door bell. Same with the lazy garbos. Quarter full bin of grass didn't get picked up. No sticker on the bin saying it was too full. Assholes.
 

Yagharek

Member
There is a frog living in the toilet at the hotel I'm staying at. He crawls under the rim above where the freshener overhangs.

The horrors he has seen...
 

Choc

Banned
RandomVince said:
There is a frog living in the toilet at the hotel I'm staying at. He crawls under the rim above where the freshener overhangs.

The horrors he has seen...

sounds like Kyle pilkington comment lol
 
reptilescorpio said:
Same here. Assholes never bother to ring the door bell. Same with the lazy garbos. Quarter full bin of grass didn't get picked up. No sticker on the bin saying it was too full. Assholes.
I once caught a delivery man putting a "sorry we missed you" notice in my letterbox.

That is your one fucking purpose and you can't do it. It's not even under the category of going "above and beyond." It's the base level requirement of your job, fucktard.
 

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
razoermangz said:
Why the hell do they ALWAYS do these things at Westfields? and ALWAYS have.

They're just UGH so out of the way. what the hell.

HOW HARD IS IT TO DO IT IN RUNDLE MALL. NOT THAT HARD. THEY HAVE SALSA DANCING DOWN THE SIDE STREETS. DO IT THERE.

Couldn't agree more. It's awful.
 
Top Bottom