• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 5/5 - Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy, a rental at best

Gazunta said:
Now I really want some bananas. Thank goodness they're sort of affordable again, I just about paid off the third mortgage I took out the last time I wanted a dozen bananas.

The second mortgage was to buy a man cave. Good holy Christ is this turning out to be a project. I thought the new kitchen was a hassle. That was nothing. That was a breeze. That was angels strumming golden harps while Ricki Lee Coulter plays Crackdown with me.
Get a second second job!

justin.au

guidop said:
My point was; after such a performance you would have gone home with anyone you wanted. No sarcasm
Ah, fairo.

No, I was in no fit state for any of that. I doubt Ricki Lee (did I get that reference right?) sitting on my face could have gotten that whisky dick up.

Choc said:
if ricki lee posed in playboy would you buy it gaz

if it was 100 USD?
Why buy it when it would be all over the internet? It would make the rounds on the morning shows too. Or go read it at the news stand. Do they still have news stands?

Choc said:
Modern Warfare 3 sold less week 1 in UK than Black Ops
I thought Activision already confirmed it sold 33% better than Black Ops? UK must not have made up a huge amount or the US was like 60% above Black Ops.

Choc

Banned

Wow

edit: reptile lets say it wasnt and it was the only way to get it. hypothetical

Agyar

Gazunta said:
Now I really want some bananas. Thank goodness they're sort of affordable again, I just about paid off the third mortgage I took out the last time I wanted a dozen bananas.

Even at $12-14 a kilo, bananas are so good for you that they were worth buying. That said, even when they were that expensive I was still buying them for $6ish at a farmer's market.

Shaneus

reptilescorpio said:
I thought Activision already confirmed it sold 33% better than Black Ops? UK must not have made up a huge amount or the US was like 60% above Black Ops.
Black Ops?

Random thing: Did anyone know about this, in particular Feep's influence on the popularity of Scribblenauts? Kinda impressive. Love that "he" makes an appearance in the game.

hamchan

Choc said:

Wow

edit: reptile lets say it wasnt and it was the only way to get it. hypothetical

It's down 1.6% from BLOPS but still higher in revenue in the UK. Game is still outpacing BLOPS worldwide. So yeah, this fall in sales isn't very big at all.

Dead Man

Shaneus said:
Black Ops?

Random thing: Did anyone know about this, in particular Feep's influence on the popularity of Scribblenauts? Kinda impressive. Love that "he" makes an appearance in the game.
I remember that, it was awesome.

Feep said:
I had played all the big titles at E3. Private showings of God of War III, Heavy Rain, Alan Wake. But at 4:00 on Thursday, I was wandering around the show floor, wondering what else I had to see. I saw a small little booth for "Scribblenauts!" in the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment section. I mean, who goes to that booth? But I remember hearing about it on GAF, and so I decided to check it out.

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

So listen to this story. I was in the early levels; I didn't quite have an idea of how ridiculously in-depth the database was. I was summoning things like ladders, glasses of water, rayguns, what have you. But I reached a level with zombie robots, and the zombie robots kept killing me. Rayguns didn't work, a torch didn't work, a pickaxe didn't work. In my frustration, I wrote in "Time Machine". And one popped up. What the fuck? A smile dawned on my face. I hopped in, and the option was given to me to either travel to the past or the future. I chose past. When I hopped out, there were fucking dinosaurs walking around. I clicked one, and realized I could RIDE THEM. So I hopped on a fucking DINOSAUR, traveled back to the present, and stomped the shit out of robot zombies. Did you just read that sentence? Did you really? I FUCKING TRAVELED THROUGH TIME AND JUMPED ON A DINOSAUR AND USED IT TO KILL MOTHERFUCKING ROBOT ZOMBIES. This game is unbelievable. Impossible. There's nothing you can't do.

Holy fucking shit.
Brilliant post.

Shaneus said:
Black Ops?
25PBd.jpg

My favourite
TOCMg.jpg

Clipper

Sutton Dagger said:
So how long did AusGAF 4.0 last, couldn't have been more than 3 months?
You must have missed my graph post:
lifetime.png

It lasted about 73 days (although I had predicted 72 in the graph, so it might be out by a pixel).

The curve puts us at 34 days until AusGAF 6...

Yagharek

Gazunta said:

The second mortgage was to buy a man cave. Good holy Christ is this turning out to be a project. I thought the new kitchen was a hassle. That was nothing. That was a breeze. That was angels strumming golden harps while Ricki Lee Coulter plays Crackdown with me.

Skills for kills agent, skills for kills.

hamchan said:
It's down 1.6% from BLOPS but still higher in revenue in the UK. Game is still outpacing BLOPS worldwide. So yeah, this fall in sales isn't very big at all.

Sounds like a plateau more than a fall.

Shaneus

Dead Man said:
I remember that, it was awesome.

Brilliant post.
I'd only read the post due to his sig (was around FOR Scribblenauts, but only cottoned on when everyone's avatars started appearing), but it's good to see a (relatively) regular Joe get substantial acknowledgement by a developer. And not for something solicited like a competition, either. Pure proactiveness on their part.

Axiom

I am playing Skyrim like I used to play World of Warcraft...except with WoW I got to talk to people and it got me laid once.

Fuck you Bethesda, invent a chat system so I can pretend I'm not wasting my life by being virtually social.

Oblivion didn't grab me like this.

Edit: vv Sounds like something from Echo Bazaar

Rezbit

I think we need our own "Gaming" and "OT" AusGAF threads.

Also really loving Skyrim. Still a few technical things to be worked out, but the gameplay is so fun. And god DAMN there are a lot of quests. It was so awesome trekking up to the College of Winterhold, and then SWOOP down comes a random dragon. So I lead it into the courtyard and about 8 mages come out and unleash hell on it.

Salazar

Axiom said:
I am playing Skyrim like I used to play World of Warcraft...except with WoW I got to talk to people and it got me laid once.

I have ruthlessly betrayed so many folks in my 20 or so hours. The freeze shout and the fury spell have just taken shit to a new level.

RandomVince said:
I said I wouldnt complain again in this thread for 10 pages, so I won't.

But here is an excellent post by DeadMan on EA's latest behaviour towards gamers

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=451978
Dead Man said:
Thanks, but I fixed that for you :)

RandomVince said:
I was just about to post it too. Still upholding my Origin ban and won't be buying any games that require it to run. Really fucked up that they are permanently cutting people off from games without any evidence. All they are doing is bringing the "you don't own your games" bullshit to a head, maybe even killing a large portion of the industry in the process. If they continue along this line of thought they will certain make their own grave.

Salacious Crumb

BanShunsaku said:
GMG Saints Row 3 keys are going out now apparently :)

Edit: Downloading on Steam now :)

All 10GB of it at little more than 200KB/s, I've tried a bunch of download regions with no improvements. One area where origin shits on steam is DL speeds.

Of course that wouldn't be an issue if GMG gave out their keys at the same time as every other online retailer in the world.

Eurogamer said:
Here is what I regard as an ideal level of Desmond: I want him to show up at the opening of the game and say, "Hello, folks, I'm Desmond Miles. I'm about to step into my magical history machine and pretend to be a fabulously fun and likeable Italian fellow from the Renaissance era. Won't you join me on this thrilling adventure?" Cue title screen, and Desmond goes away. I would also allow him to appear in the credits giving the thumbs-up sign with a word balloon that says, "Thanks for playing!"
Oh, Eurogamer.

Choc

Banned
ok so now that media are posting reviews i guess i am allowed to talk about it

i've had access to Halo Anniversary since Thursday

Game is really good. 343 have done an excellent job in just upgrading the graphics but the overall feel of the game is just like Halo, and it addicted me as much as the original (which i managed to finish the day the Xbox 1 came out)

Switching between the old and new graphics shows just how far we've come in a decade, it really is amazing.

There are still bits that will shit you off and it is hard to get used to some of the old tropes of FPS (such as having to find health packs, no arrow telling you where to go) but after a few hours you forget that and just enjoy halo for what it is

awesome

Edit:

The world really would be a much better place without PETA

http://features.peta.org/mario-kills-tanooki/

Salazar

Omi said:
Health packs, such an annoying mechanic.

I do like suddenly wolfing down all my food in the middle of a fight in Skyrim. Fireballs coming at me, and I pause and consume some salmon steaks, cabbage, four apples, venison.

Omikron

Choc said:
It was annoying because i hadn't been required to do so for what? 5 years?

you get used to it ;)

Regenerating health in FPS is one of my most disliked mechanics going around. To me it is lazy game design because the dev no longer has to design a 'level' that takes into account health management.

Reduces most shooters to duck out of cover, let loose a clip of ammo, get hit a bit, duck behind the cover again until you are good to go.

Pathetic.

Salazar said:
I do like suddenly wolfing down all my food in the middle of a fight in Skyrim. Fireballs coming at me, and I pause and consume some salmon steaks, cabbage, four apples, venison.

Mmm, food. Should be able to roleplay the full dining experience with plates and cutlery.

Edit: I will also add to the opinion frenzy and suggest that Halo is an awful game and is only popular because it was the game that people justified their xbox purchase with in the early days. I played it later on PC and it was a constant yawn fest.

Choc

Banned
Omi said:
Regenerating health in FPS is one of my most disliked mechanics going around. To me it is lazy game design because the dev no longer has to design a 'level' that takes into account health management.

Reduces most shooters to duck out of cover, let loose a clip of ammo, get hit a bit, duck behind the cover again until you are good to go.

Pathetic.

Mmm, food. Should be able to roleplay the full dining experience with plates and cutlery.

Edit: I will also add to the opinion frenzy and suggest that Halo is an awful game and is only popular because it was the game that people justified their xbox purchase with in the early days. I played it later on PC and it was a constant yawn fest.

I was of this opinion and then i played anniversary. It's not ya know.

Salacious Crumb

Omi said:

I think you've got that backwards, everyone that bought an xbox bought one for Halo, and rightly so. Halo rates as one of the best FPS' of all time for me, and I hate FPS on console.

Anyone that can't see whats special about Halo is a fool.

Omikron

Salacious Crumb said:
I think you've got that backwards, everyone that bought an xbox bought one for Halo, and rightly so. Halo rates as one of the best FPS' of all time for me, and I hate FPS on console.

Anyone that can't see whats special about Halo is a fool.

I must be a damn fool then.

Top Bottom