• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I'm actually tempted by ME3, but not because I'll enjoy it, but rather out of some half-assed desire to recapture what I really liked about ME1 and 2... I remember liking it at the time... but I can't quite recall why.

I don't get it. How do stats play a role then? Please tell me there are stats.
You get upgrades. Like in Darkness 2 or Assassins Creed. Different armour helps a bit too I think. You still have magic powers to help combat. Could you change your squads armour in me2? Not sure. You research upgrades to boost shit. Don't remember any stores in me2 though. I mostly remember shooting mofos in the face coz they didn't wanna hang out.

Deeku

I don't remember there being any real stats. There are like abilities that you level up but that's about it. You can also upgrade armour and research technologies.

Don't go in expecting jrpg type stats which is what I did lol.

Choc

Banned
ME3 spoiler (not story, just overall feeling, no character spoilers etc)

its as if they hired Kojima just after he made MGS4........

legend166

So I just thought "man, I gave up ME2 midway through because it sucked so much, I may as well read this Mass Effect 3 spoiler thread."

lol

The guy who borrows things and they always seem to come back scratched, broken, loses it etc etc.
Actually I'm the guy who prides himself in keeping stuff in good condition, which is why it's pained me so much to see this happen. The game came only in a screwed up paper sleeve, so after I was done with it I put it in a thin plastic case, and sent it through work's internal mail to Reptile.

Instead of it arriving, it came back to me, like this:
IMG_20120131_101240.jpg

I have a launch day Wii, five-year-old 360, launch week SNES and they all work perfectly fine. My Amiga 500 packed it up two years ago. I still have a CD from a friend who lent it to me about seven years ago and who I haven't seen for about five years. It's still waiting for him to come and get it like we agreed. It still works.

So yeah, I'm disappointed because this never happens. I've offered to buy a replacement from OGS or wherever, should Choc not be able to play it when he receives it from Reptile.

Starting from ME2 it's now a third person shooter series. The RPG bits are going around and talking to people, choosing what powers to get when you level and a very simple equipment system.
:(

That makes me want to look into Oblivion or Skyrim but I hear terrible, awful things about level scaling....

How's Dragon Age?

:(

That makes me want to look into Oblivion or Skyrim but I hear terrible, awful things about level scaling....

How's Dragon Age?
Scaling was a pain in the arse in Oblivion but I didn't notice it in Skyrim if it was there at all.
The first Dragon Age was rad, I only got around to playing it at the start of the year after not being keen for it when it was released. I really enjoyed it.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mass Effect always took strong inspiration from third person shooters. Some people just like to romanticise spreadsheets as if they have any merit in defining a game as 'role playing'.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm sure they like to think they are.

so im pretty sure there is a deaf person in my cooking class. i think he is also new like me. this will be interesting. maybe i will be friends with a deaf person. i wonder how that works. a deaf chef. like i get that disabled people can still function as a person but that is not a thing that i think a deaf person could/should do. yelling in a kitchen is important. does anyone here know a deaf person? if so, what do they do as a living?

edit: that probably makes me sound like a horrible person

hamchan

Reading more ME3 and the crazy amount of praise continues. Either this really is one of the greatest games ever made or the reviewers are addicted to that hyperbole drug again. (It's probably the latter.)

EDIT: Yeah screw it, I'm buying it off the US PSN now. I need to know what happens to Femshep + Liara + Tali.

EDIT2: Oh, it's gonna take me 24 hours of downloading...

I totally forgot how awkward university society meetings are

in guess this is why I largely stopped going...

Meh, it depends on the society. Japanese society is fun, though depending on the meeting its really crowded and no one can hear anything. I joined a couple of other societies but since no one I know takes them I'm kinda eeeh about showing up to their events, particularly the ones at clubs.

As a side note, UQ's town planning society is called OOPS, which I found hilarious.

Shaneus

I'm going to punch you in the gut next time I see you.
Is that before or after I buy you the beer as thanks for the Windpad?

Anyway, was the shit. Awesome. Twisted, but fucking awesome. Die Antwoord made an appearance which made it even MORE awesome.

Sorry, but it was pretty good. Which is why I go to music acts I may not necessarily be a fan of, but know of their talent in general. That alone has brought me to see acts like Stevie Wonder, Public Enemy (well, I do like them anyway but am listing them for diversity's sake), TISM, Wilco and a buttload of others.

Let us know if "they" are real or not.
They're not. Those earrings are obviously fake.

Mass Effect always took strong inspiration from third person shooters. Some people just like to romanticise spreadsheets as if they have any merit in defining a game as 'role playing'.
I want a space game that's kinda like Uncharted. Is it just me or has it been a really long time (if at all) that there's been such a game, save for Star Wars titles?

Hey AusGAF. I just got an FB invite to my old Scout/Venturer pack/troop/whatever's 15th-ish year reunion. Providing it's on a night I have something else on, do I go? Should I starve myself and take copious amounts of amphetamine so I look like I've been eating healthy for the past 15-ish years?

Actually, shit. I AM taking copious amounts of amphetamine. Legally, obv.

EatChildren

I want a space game that's kinda like Uncharted. Is it just me or has it been a really long time (if at all) that there's been such a game, save for Star Wars titles?

I don't think I want Space Uncharted, but yeah the sci fi genre seems to be a bit all over the place. I think what I really want is a proper Jedi Knight/Dark Forces game, to scratch my nerdy sci fi action itch.

Well, they're not very likely to go around thinking they're wrong, are they? Especially when they're so right.

I wish they would think they're wrong, re-evaluate their opinions, and listen to me, the pharisaical voice of reason.

I don't think I want Space Uncharted, but yeah the sci fi genre seems to be a bit all over the place. I think what I really want is a proper Jedi Knight/Dark Forces game, to scratch my nerdy sci fi action itch.

I wish they would think they're wrong, re-evaluate their opinions, and listen to me, the pharisaical voice of reason.
The pharasees were wrong on Christianity and they're wrong on Mass Effect.

Shaneus

Yeah, pretty much what I was getting at, but I'd love an IP they could take some liberties with. Some kind of a space action/adventure game with lots of epic epicness. Something in the Star Control universe in that mould would be amazing.

Kritz

Banned

I would sooner read a conversation between a bunch of jaded nancies* than the cum dumpster of masturbatory lovein that the Mass Effect 3 thread was when I last looked.

* not a homosexual slur. Used as a synonym to "babies".

Jintor

Does anybody know where I could get an alligator-clip style thingy for my earphones so I can clip them to my jacket and not hear a constant THUDTHUDTHUD when I go jogging?

Also I finished couch to 5K but I'm going to do more 30min runs until I feel I can actually do them properly instead of half-dying every time

markot

Banned
07/03/12 07:49 Onboard with driver :O

Also which user do I send the bill to if the Windpad ends up sucking >_<?

Choc

Banned
played me3 until 1am

Wow, just wow

There are some epic, epic moments also

i felt emotionally sick afte one of my decisions and its consequences, wow

Omikron

Role playing is also more than navigating a conversation tree in a cinematic fashion.

ME in a nut shell.

Yagharek

I know, right. Skyrik is pretty much an error riddled Hello World with some shitty textures on top.

Ah yes, the complexity argument. I guess if you're going to include horses and bears in your game, they should probably not go ballistic for no reason and wind up several thousand feet in the air. Nor should peoples faces textures vanish, or should become stuck in solid concrete.

This is the developer that achieved the inaugural zero fps result on digital foundry.

Agyar

Ah yes, the complexity argument. I guess if you're going to include horses and bears in your game, they should probably not go ballistic for no reason and wind up several thousand feet in the air. Nor should peoples faces textures vanish, or should become stuck in solid concrete.

This is the developer that achieved the inaugural zero fps result on digital foundry.

It's not complexity, it's counter-hyperbole.

Plus sky bears rule.

Edit: is Mass Effect 3 out or something? I thought it was tomorrow or Friday.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
A few people have been able to pick it up early.

Choc got it from his so called "EA" Buddies. (Dads best friends i think)

Ham picked it up from the US PSN store.

I think that's it so far? You might be able to pick it up early via origin if you wanted it on PC, otherwise Local release is tomorrow.

hamchan

It's not complexity, it's counter-hyperbole.

Plus sky bears rule.

Edit: is Mass Effect 3 out or something? I thought it was tomorrow or Friday.
it's out in America and had a day one release on the US PSN so I just downloaded it overnight.

markot

Banned
The capital territory of Australia!

I only played star control 2, I remember liking it, but I also only really remember the space dildos >.>

Omikron

I read the RPS article on ME3. It still isn't selling me. I guess I don't like good games?

You know what would be cool, someone make a Peter F Hamilton series into a video game. That man does space opera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom