• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I'm playing around with windows 8.

Seems pretty rad so far. Well its an operating system so rad is overstating it, but the way it integrates emails and social networks in like a phone is cool. It's kind if annoying that not everything run out of metro yet. Like having to browse the internet through the 7 desktop

Windows 8 is the worst thing ever, its like if some dude named 'Hitler Von Stalin the Third' became president of the EU.

markot

Banned
My problem is that the tab is so last gen!

Asus seems to be the kings of Android tablets imo. They are pushing form factors and specs. Most android manufacturers, even the newly annoucned Samsung stuff is very last gen spec wise >.< if you want to compete with apple you have to dish out more than them, especially when they are about to annouce a quad core tablet. Its lame cause even their price points are at or above apples, so its no real wonder that android hasnt taken off on tablets!

Dead Man

lUfxG.jpg

hamsolo.jpg
Ham shot first.

Ham Solo redeems you, now and for ever.

Dead Man

My problem is that the tab is so last gen!

Asus seems to be the kings of Android tablets imo. They are pushing form factors and specs. Most android manufacturers, even the newly annoucned Samsung stuff is very last gen spec wise >.< if you want to compete with apple you have to dish out more than them, especially when they are about to annouce a quad core tablet. Its lame cause even their price points are at or above apples, so its no real wonder that android hasnt taken off on tablets!

Don't know much about Asus tablets, but I have had 2 of their netbooks and love them, maybe they will be the company that gets me to try a tablet.

Edit: Double post, fuck it, it's staying, I don't care.

markot

Banned
Their new tablets are awsome, they come with keyboard docks with batterys so you can pretty much use it as a netbook when you needs to type, but then you can just pull the tablet out when you dont need the keyboard! Also they are quad core >.>!

Danoss

I haven't seen much I what they're doing with Windows 8. I did hear they were using the 'ribbon' as their menu system throughout, can anyone confirm this?

If the above is true, I will enjoy the switch back to OS X. The ribbon is truly terrible.

markot

Banned
I haven't seen much I what they're doing with Windows 8. I did hear they were using the 'ribbon' as their menu system throughout, can anyone confirm this?

If the above is true, I will enjoy the switch back to OS X. The ribbon is truly terrible.

Not only that but they replaced the start bar with a whole damn stupid ass ugly terrible inunergonomically awful ui that sucks and is awful. Also lots of stupid little things designed to annoy people and put style over form and function.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

The ribbon does exist but it isn't default. It was going to be everyone bitched and moaned about how it was silly. This is currently how explorer looks.

http://static.arstechnica.net/2012/02/07/minimized-ribbon-4f316ea-intro.jpg

Dead Man

Their new tablets are awsome, they come with keyboard docks with batterys so you can pretty much use it as a netbook when you needs to type, but then you can just pull the tablet out when you dont need the keyboard! Also they are quad core >.>!

I like the sound of that, I'll neeed to see what they've got.

Wait. Windows EIGHT?

last i cheked 8 comes after 7 but dont quote me on that
Windows 8 is the worst thing ever, its like if some dude named 'Hitler Von Stalin the Third' became president of the EU.

i thought they used a king :p

i always liked the og transformer but lack of cash and my rule of never get the first run of any tech got the better of me.
the new prime looks too much like a mac and that makes me not want to get it either.
but yeah i was waiting for a new transformer and that was going to be the tablet i got. really sad now about the looks of it. i still wouldnt mind an og galaxy tab. the 7" phone they put out. i really liked the look of that.

Its just like apple except its cheaper and there are way more free apps. Why WOULD you get an ipad, other than for branding and garage band/photobooth?
read that as garbage band and smiled.

The Windows Start Menu has needed a real revamp for a long time. It's not perfect in Windows 8 bit IMO it has the ability to be great if there's the software support (and tiles need to have support for basic controls!).

One thing it's missing that I find useful Windows 7 is the jump lists.

Bit the bullet and used the 360 controller for Syndicate. Doesn't feel right. :(
Pretty cool aesthetic but largely wasted. Very linear, pretty boring. Weapons feel great though. Normal feels a bit easier than I usually find, might bump it up to Hard to give the action a bit more intensity.
Most rooms have random shit you can force push to recharge your mind bullets which makes it a bit hum drum.
Post effects are more harsh on the eyes than even Battlefield 3's campaign. Really went a touch too far into painful rather than stylish.
Overall should be an okay romp, not expecting Deus Ex 3 level or anything.

Don't know much about Asus tablets, but I have had 2 of their netbooks and love them, maybe they will be the company that gets me to try a tablet.

Edit: Double post, fuck it, it's staying, I don't care.
My last monitor was a second hand ASUS and it was great. Also using their motherboards because they are awesome and the right price!

tumblr_lwn3mqfoul1qare35o1_500.gif

If I was on more money I would totally grab one. Leave the dock on the kitchen bench for typing while chatting and browsing recipes, flying naked on the couch while relaxing doing some surfing.

Deeku

Just found out a close friend broke up with someone after like 6 years of dating. What is wrong with people? This sorta a stuff scares the crap out of me!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Just found out a close friend broke up with someone after like 6 years of dating. What is wrong with people? This sorta a stuff scares the crap out of me!

People grow apart? What's the big deal?

It either ends at 3 years or 7 years, Guess they were getting close to the 7!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
This 3 or 7 rule intrigues me, please continue.

The rule is, On average or something along those lines. People get bored of each other around the 7 year mark, Although there's now a 3 year mark that's starting to pop up.

If you can go beyond that then you're good for another 40 till you're old and realise you wanna try and score with super young people! (something like that)

If you try and think about everyone you know and their relationships, There may be a lot that end around the 3 year mark.

Who the heck really knows why. It could just be a silly thing people are now starting to say and people are taking notice, When it probably means nothing at all.

Sweet our 3 year anniversary will be our wedding day. Will either get over the hump and be cool for at least 4 more years or be a beautiful trainwreck.

Especially for young couples, sometimes they want to see what else is out there - which I personally think is a stupid reason to break up, or maybe their life dreams were taking them different places.

As a side note, I'm kinda terrified about what happens after uni. I want to work overseas, while my partner wants to stay and do editing work in Brisbane. Still almost four years to go though, if I do honours etc. Something like that is an even more stupid reason to break up. Ugh.

Sweet our 3 year anniversary will be our wedding day. Will either get over the hump and be cool for at least 4 more years or be a beautiful trainwreck.

aww, what a nice idea ^^ How far away is that? Will your son be able to walk? If he was the flower boy that would be incredibly cute.

Deeku

As a side note, I'm kinda terrified about what happens after uni. I want to work overseas, while my partner wants to stay and do editing work in Brisbane. Still almost four years to go though, if I do honours etc. Something like that is an even more stupid reason to break up.
This is actually what I think happened:(

Which sucks because everything was so happy and perfect at the farewell parties not so long ago.

Jintor

Tired. Sleepy. Met a friend I hadn't seen for a year while he was gallivanting around Europe.

Great night. Barcraft was hype.

Dead Man

I'm at the three year hump, it is feeling a bit shaky too. Not unpleasent, we have both just chaged from who we were.

So, these android tablets, how hard are they to stream media to? I have been using my netbook pplugged in to tye HDMI on the plasma to stream from the big computer with all the music and films. Can these tablets do that? Nothing is iny sort of format standarg, I've got mkv, avi, mpeg mov, shit, probably other stuff to. If there something like Vlc that will play media from a network source?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Tired. Sleepy. Met a friend I hadn't seen for a year while he was gallivanting around Europe.

Great night. Barcraft was hype.

Where are the pictures? Fuuuuu

So, these android tablets, how hard are they to stream media to? I have been using my netbook pplugged in to tye HDMI on the plasma to stream from the big computer with all the music and films. Can these tablets do that? Nothing is iny sort of format standarg, I've got mkv, avi, mpeg mov, shit, probably other stuff to. If there something like Vlc that will play media from a network source?

Yea there would be a few options on android.

You could install plex onto your main rig so it acts like the server then just use the app on android to view and watch all your shit. http://www.plexapp.com/android/

I'm sure VLC or something like it is on android as well.

Sweet our 3 year anniversary will be our wedding day.
Best move ever! The wife and I got married on our 'we got together' anniversary - no new dates to remember! It was even her idea. Score!

Dead Man: The lady when we got married said something I'll remember forever (at least the gist of it!), and that was that truly loving someone was to support them and to encourage them to grow even if it's not necessarily what you want. The person you're with now isn't the person you fell in love with, and to try to force them to stay that person is the wrong thing to do and will usually end badly. Instead, love and support them for who they are now.

Dead Man

Where are the pictures? Fuuuuu

Yea there would be a few options on android.

You could install plex onto your main rig so it acts like the server then just use the app on android to view and watch all your shit. http://www.plexapp.com/android/

I'm sure VLC or something like it is on android as well.

Cool, think Ill track one down and have a play around. Thanks! So they are about 650 with the dock for the top speck model?

God I wanna go to Japan and Korea so bad.

Best move ever! The wife and I got married on our 'we got together' anniversary - no new dates to remember! It was even her idea. Score!

Is it bad not to have an anniversary? When do you start counting from? I just know it all kind of began around September - October so we've never really celebrated :p (our birthdays are then as well though so there's already a lot going on). I guess if we ever get hitched we'll get a date then. haha.

Also @dead man, I agree with codswallop. Also I wanted to add that the three year hump is around when you tend to get lazy about the relationship. Its a comfortable part of your life, and you kinda know its not going anywhere so you don't work as hard, stop going out or doing fun things so often. Try not to do that.

Is it bad not to have an anniversary? When do you start counting from?
You start counting whenever you agree to start counting! There are no rules! We decided we were a couple a week after we met so that's the date we use as our anniversary. It could be when you met, your first date, first kiss, whenever you felt you were together really.

Deeku

God I wanna go to Japan and Korea so bad.
Me too! Well, Japan anyway.

I was supposed to go at the beginning of the year but had to cancel because I had to start my job. I'd love to go maybe later this year but I'm not really sure about what the situation is with the radiation and what not. Most of my friends who used to go with me there all the time are still reluctant to go.

It also doesn't help that my mum reckons if I go I'll come back with radioactive sperm and she'll have mutant grand children in the future:/

Me too! Well, Japan anyway.

I was supposed to go at the beginning of the year but had to cancel because I had to start my job. I'd love to go maybe later this year but I'm not really sure about what the situation is with the radiation and what not. Most of my friends who used to go with me there all the time are still reluctant to go.

It also doesn't help that my mum reckons if I go I'll come back with radioactive sperm and she'll have mutant grand children in the future:/

Ah, anything Tokyo or further south is fine. Its only up north that's having problems, so you can tell everyone that its like people calling to ask if you were effected by the QLD floods. Luckily a lot of good places to visit are south of that (kyoto, osaka, hiroshima, fuji). I'm hoping to study in Kyoto over our summer period, so if you decide to visit any time around then let me know and we can catch up or something.

You give me and my girlfrend a guided tour and we will pay for all the tickets. Sounds fair to me.

Haha. If you really wanna go I can tell you some good times/ places to visit.

You start counting whenever you agree to start counting! There are no rules! We decided we were a couple a week after we met so that's the date we use as our anniversary. It could be when you met, your first date, first kiss, whenever you felt you were together really.

Hm... I'll have to think about it. I didn't keep a diary or a planner or anything. Haha.

Grassy

South Korea is awesome, I spent a few weeks there back in 2002 when the FIFA World Cup was on. Never have I been welcomed and treated so nicely as I have over there, the people were incredible and just too friendly. I was treated like a rock star, so many great memories.

I spent a few weeks in Japan too, I had a great time there as well but Korea was just awesome.

Also, this 3 and 7 year relationship thing sounds like bullshit. For me it's the 3 and 7 week mark where my relationships end...

foreveralone.jpg

Deeku

Ah, anything Tokyo or further south is fine. Its only up north that's having problems, so you can tell everyone that its like people calling to ask if you were effected by the QLD floods. Luckily a lot of good places to visit are south of that (kyoto, osaka, hiroshima, fuji). I'm hoping to study in Kyoto over our summer period, so if you decide to visit any time around then let me know and we can catch up or something.
But flood waters don't fly! My mum's been reading too many magazines about how radiation flies and the effect of radiation to young people that haven't had children yet. I personally don't think there's a problem, reasons being the stuff that you said.

But yeah I was planning to go to Kansai region too because I've never really been to look at all the culture-y stuff that's around there. Really want to go to Nagoya too and visit my baseball team!

You got me all excited now!

Didn't you just install it? How did you already lose the disc?

AusGaf goes to Japan!

That would be amazing. We could write a book!

Deek: tee hee :D It would be so fun to see a proper baseball match in japan, wearing all the getups and stuff. And I don't even watch baseball!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom