• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF IV - A No Hope, Government - Double the price, region locked and now adults

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
If you're that ignorant, you're in no position to make highbrow comments on games journalism. Chest beating about how sites aimed at excitable teenagers aren't good journalism is just old and boring.

All I ask for is honest reviews and reporting of relevant news, not skirting around it as for example, the current XBL/Fifa hacks go.

I'm not after hard hitting insights into studio culture or sales facts. Although looking at the gamasutra page now, there is nothing on there that wouldn't get a run in Edge or Games TM etc.

I've said it before, but probably the only games journalists Ive seen who are actually deserving of the term would be Retro Gamer. And that is probably mainly due to the fact they aren't having to contend with publisher bullying and current hype cycles.

Also, who pissed in your cereal this morning?

reptilescorpio said:
Along with a bit of Eurogamer and all of RPS. Love the articles where developers will look back on their games.

Eurogamer are the kings of sensationalist titles, misquoting or quotes out of context and clickbaiting.

To hear them mentioned in the same breath as gamasutra puts things into perspective.

trinest

codswallop said:
Here's a starting point:

I6uT7.gif
Oh neat someone made my idea.

Choc said:
so gaz i heard ricki lees new song and my wife nad i agree it sounds like she is singing

'i need some mcdonalds'

yes, you do.

lol it kinda does

I was listening to the iTunes top 10 song samples the other day for lols, made me pray for humanity. So bad. Ricki Lee was in there at that time too.

RandomVince said:
Eurogamer are the kings of sensationalist titles, misquoting or quotes out of context and clickbaiting.

To hear them mentioned in the same breath as gamasutra puts things into perspective.
That is why I said a little bit. Most of the stuff I don't bother with but the RPS guys do some great articles over there. The management do seem to have thrown their influence around a lot more in the last 3 years though. Digital Foundry can be great too but even some of the recent ones have been disappointing. The UC3 one was just PR wank.

roosters93 said:
I was listening to the iTunes top 10 song samples the other day for lols, made me pray for humanity. So bad. Ricki Lee was in there at that time too.
The new Gotye was number one for a while, not sure what chart that was as we only get some shitty country music television shows out here. The Hit List was the show I think, I assumed they used the ARIA chart.

Gazunta

Choc said:
so gaz i heard ricki lees new song and my wife nad i agree it sounds like she is singing

'i need some mcdonalds'

yes, you do.
I haven't even heard it yet :( I am a terrible fan :(

Edit: I mean, I bought it, but I always forget to listen to it on the commute.

Yagharek

I need a palate cleansing game. After finishing Uncharted and having CoD on the go (multiplayer phone service with friends essentially), I need to get something that is relatively new, left field and good. An example might be something like No More Heroes, Katamari, Psychonauts - anything not hollywood inspired or "from the people that brought you ....".

Any random suggestions?

Even something going back a year would be fine. PS3/Wii preferred.

RandomVince said:
I need a palate cleansing game. After finishing Uncharted and having CoD on the go (multiplayer phone service with friends essentially), I need to get something that is relatively new, left field and good. An example might be something like No More Heroes, Katamari, Psychonauts - anything not hollywood inspired or "from the people that brought you ....".

Any random suggestions?

Even something going back a year would be fine. PS3/Wii preferred.
SHADOWS OF THE DAMNED

CHILD OF EDEN

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
All I ask for is honest reviews and reporting of relevant news, not skirting around it as for example, the current XBL/Fifa hacks go.
Gamasutra don't do reviews, but they're probably the best for industry news.

RandomVince said:
Also, who pissed in your cereal this morning?
Complaining about the journalistic quality of IGN and Gamespot is like complaining about the journalistic quality of Who Weekly or The Post. It's just just a useless complaint, but also such a common one for someone that wants to feel good about themselves without going to the trouble of thinking about it too hard. It's worse than the low hanging fruit, it's the over ripe fruit that's fallen off the tree and is starting to smell a bit.

Choc

Banned
Gazunta said:
I haven't even heard it yet :( I am a terrible fan :(

Edit: I mean, I bought it, but I always forget to listen to it on the commute.

ask siri to play it for you

'siri play artist ricki lee'

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Got the gig at JB. Awww yeeaaah.

reptilescorpio said:
SHADOWS OF THE DAMNED

Everyone who is cool has played Shadows of the Damned. Only lamers don't want to play it.

teekun

Little King Story for Wii is my default "you've never played this but you should have" game suggestion. Probably a nightmare to find a copy though.

Yagharek

Fredescu said:
Complaining about the journalistic quality of IGN and Gamespot is like complaining about the journalistic quality of Who Weekly or The Post. It's just just a useless complaint, but also such a common one for someone that wants to feel good about themselves without going to the trouble of thinking about it too hard. It's worse than the low hanging fruit, it's the over ripe fruit that's fallen off the tree and is starting to smell a bit.

I'm not complaining about Lowest Common Deonominator shit like IGN or Gamespot. I dont even read them.

I'm complaining about so called reputable sites like eurogamer and even edge online who have really started trawling for hits. Or at least have ignored serious issues in reviews and newspieces once an official source settles the matter.

So how about easing off on injecting your assumptions into the piece eh?

As for game suggestions: got child of eden and LKS. Shadows of the damned eh? Might look at it.

Deeku

teekun said:
Little King Story for Wii is my default "you've never played this but you should have" game suggestion. Probably a nightmare to find a copy though.
It's coming to Vita so if you can't find a copy, you could just wait and play the new one!

RandomVince said:
Psychonauts - not "from the people that brought you ....".

I know what you're getting at, but Psychonauts had a big "From Tim Schafer, the creator of Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle" on the front cover.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
EatChildren said:
Got the gig at JB. Awww yeeaaah.

Everyone who is cool has played Shadows of the Damned. Only lamers don't want to play it.

Congrats!

Which JB, when can we start coming by and asking you ridiculous questions?

teekun

commanderdeek said:
It's coming to Vita so if you can't find a copy, you could just wait and play the new one!
I really wish they'd made an HD console port instead. It'll be a great portable game, but the art style is dying to be rendered at a higher resolution on a big screen.

teekun said:
This too. $25 at LOGS.

Vince do you have PSN+? If so download Where is my Heart? for free from the Minis. Pretty fun for free.

Choc

Banned
teekun said:
I really wish they'd made an HD console port instead. It'll be a great portable game, but the art style is dying to be rendered at a higher resolution on a big screen.

its a portable playstation 3....

it IS a HD console port ;)

Choc said:
its a portable playstation 3....

it IS a HD console port ;)
I think they mean they want to be able to play it looking crisp and beautiful on a 50 inch plasma. Which is understandable. I would love to see REmake remade for 1080p.

hamchan said:
I'll play Shadows of the Damned when it reaches bomba prices, and 24 pounds at Zavvi is no where near bomba yet.
$36 on 360 and $40 on PS3. BUY BUY BUY. Worth it for the sound track alone.

Castle of Hassle
Take Me To Hell
Til Death Do Us Part

codswallop said:
I'm afraid that's all I've got time to do at the moment. If someone wants the PSD source they're welcome to it.

Qsp04.png
5/5. Maybe put in a reference on the beach for each dev studio who have closed down here in the past year?

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
So how about easing off on injecting your assumptions into the piece eh?
Hey, if you have some specific complaints, go ahead and link a few articles that you're complaints are about. Not reviews though. Haven't you made your peace with those yet?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Well at least I'll have something to do at work.

I've got some IRC details to put in the OP, what else?

Anyone got a list of those Twitter accounts and what not.

Yagharek

Fredescu said:

I also missed one thing about this post, and that is its sleight of hand. Going to the trouble of "thinking hard about it" is not what this is about. It's about being able to trust the impressions of a writer, something that is nigh impossible to do thanks to all the stage management going on.

Industry news is fine if you are "in the industry", but to someone who is not and has no desire to be, it's just fluff providing a wireframe context to the inner workings behind the corruption of critics and criticism as a whole. Give me a source that does honest reviews and I'll be happy. But I doubt you will find one in the paid sphere.

Fredescu said:
Hey, if you have some specific complaints, go ahead and link a few articles that you're complaints are about. Not reviews though. Haven't you made your peace with those yet?

No. This is about reviews and consumer salient details. Like hardware reliability, network scams and critica bugs in software that gets a nice juicy 9/10 or higher.

I am a consumer. I buy games, and thus I prefer to have credible, honest and untainted information and opinion presented to me. I am not getting that, thus I can only assume that reviewers are not doing their job as a whole.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
Give me a source that does honest reviews and I'll be happy. But I doubt you will find one in the paid sphere.
Rock Paper Shotgun, but then that's for PC. I don't know of any for consoles, but I don't play console games much anymore.

RandomVince said:
Give me a source that does honest reviews and I'll be happy. But I doubt you will find one in the paid sphere.
Vooks for Wii and RPS for PC. Anything that pushes reviews as an opinion tends to be a lot better to read as they aren't trying to tell you how awesome the game. GAF has gotten a bit feral lately in terms of quality word of mouth around release but there are more than a few decent posters who you can follow and get more information from.

Edit: ffffffffffffff I did an Omi

Yagharek

reptilescorpio said:
Vooks for Wii and RPS for PC. Anything that pushes reviews as an opinion tends to be a lot better to read as they aren't trying to tell you how awesome the game. GAF has gotten a bit feral lately in terms of quality word of mouth around release but there are more than a few decent posters who you can follow and get more information from.

Edit: ffffffffffffff I did an Omi

Agreed on gaf. A lot of the official threads are full of sycophantic types who may even be plants judging by their fervour for a particular game (rawwrr, for example). Sometimes I wonder if an OT could survive solely on posts from undisclosed members of the games' publisher, PR and development teams in order to manufacture hype.

Fredescu

RandomVince said:
No. This is about reviews and consumer salient details. Like hardware reliability, network scams and critica bugs in software that gets a nice juicy 9/10 or higher.
Hardware reliability and network scams are better reported by the industry news sites. Can't help you with reviews. I prefer GAF and the like.

Kerrby

Banned
Jintor said:
Your relentless negativity is getting to me, vince

90% of posts up in this mother are negative. Everyone turns on everyone, I think it has something to do with reptilescorpios 44 quotes and 99% of the quotes being from Choc. That or DeathJrs haircut.

Fisheyes, I laughed and then I felt bad :(.

Top Bottom