• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF - Twice the price, a year late, filtered and seized by customs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danoss

Zomo said:
how much do you guys think i can sell an iphone 3gs for? it's locked to optus.
If you're on a plan, call them up and get it unlocked for free. Then you can sell it for whatever it's worth, I have no idea.

Nemesis_

Zomo said:
They just unlock it for nothing? o.o

I've heard two different stories now, both of which I know are true, where if you ramble on about legal rights or something then they will unlock your phone for free out of fear you'll sue them or something.

Apparently locking a phone isn't 100% legal here or something.

rass

Zomo said:
how much do you guys think i can sell an iphone 3gs for? it's locked to optus.
i can verify that if you question the legality optus will unlock your iPhone for free, even on prepaid. Also, I'll trade you my beat-up iPhone 3G if you pay postage :lol

Danoss

rass said:
i can verify that if you question the legality optus will unlock your iPhone for free, even on prepaid. Also, I'll trade you my beat-up iPhone 3G if you pay postage :lol
My iPhone 3G was previously with Optus on a plan and they unlocked it free of charge, takes a week or two though (beats paying). Pre-paid I heard they do also, you have to recharge something like $80 and they will.

What if you're on a plan in which you are paying for the phone hardware cost monthly along with your bill? You can't unlock it for free then I'm pretty sure, you at least have to pay the remainder of what you owe for the phone right?
(I'm in this situation)

Not sure if I want to trade in my 3GS, I would like to get out of Optus though. I hate them, they have at least stolen over $300 from me. I don't have a job so that's like all my savings :lol

Rocksteady33

Stryder said:
Capcom are distributed via THQ here, Konami by Atari.

What are you looking for Rocksteady33? Publisher offices? Dev studios? Why do you want to know?

Just anything in general really. Studios, publishers, developers... I'd love to work in this country (I'm studying here from America) and would apply to some if they existed.

Danoss

I should be doing hw said:
What if you're on a plan in which you are paying for the phone hardware cost monthly along with your bill? You can't unlock it for free then I'm pretty sure, you at least have to pay the remainder of what you owe for the phone right?
(I'm in this situation)
That's exactly the situation I was in when they unlocked mine.

I didn't have to remind them of legal obligations or anything, I just asked them to unlock it.

Danoss said:
That's exactly the situation I was in when they unlocked mine.

I didn't have to remind them of legal obligations or anything, I just asked them to unlock it.
How far into the contract were you? I'm still confused, I've only paid a years worth of the actual phone cost by now, are you saying I can just unlock it and not have to pay the rest? I find that doubtful.
If so, fuck yes I might just be selling it then. Good thing I kept it in a case this whole time.

Danoss

I should be doing hw said:
How far into the contract were you? I'm still confused, I've only paid a years worth of the actual phone cost by now, are you saying I can just unlock it and not have to pay the rest? I find that doubtful.
If so, fuck yes I might just be selling it then. Good thing I kept it in a case this whole time.
You're still locked into the contract, the phone is just unlocked from the Optus network. That way you can do whatever you like with the phone once the contract has ended.

I had the phone unlocked about 1 month after signing the contract.

hirokazu

Danoss said:
My iPhone 3G was previously with Optus on a plan and they unlocked it free of charge, takes a week or two though (beats paying). Pre-paid I heard they do also, you have to recharge something like $80 and they will.
How does one go about doing this? Do we just rock up to an Optus store and ask them to unlock it? Also, I thought their policy was (at least when the 3G was first introduced) that you had to pay to unlock unless you had the phone for over a year or something.

Danoss

hirokazu said:
How does one go about doing this? Do we just rock up to an Optus store and ask them to unlock it? Also, I thought their policy was (at least when the 3G was first introduced) that you had to pay to unlock unless you had the phone for over a year or something.

I just called them up and asked them to do it. They put me through to the correct department and asked for details like serial and IMEI number and that was it. They can't do it on the spot, they send the info off to Apple and it will happen with the linked iTunes account. One day you plug it in and it does some stuff to unlock it, took about 2 weeks.

As I said earlier, there were no special conditions with mine, I just rang up and asked. My contract only lasted 1 year (actually 18 months, because they screwed up and put it in the system for 24 months, it took 6 months of arguing with them to finally fix it). I had it unlocked after about a month of owning my iPhone 3G.

Rahk

Anyone have SWAT 4 and want to play co-op later (or whenever)?

Need 2 more people! (Unless it's more than 4 players)

Rahk

evlcookie said:
Mar you got ripped off.

Mirrors edge for $2 (360) now at game starting on monday or something like that.
Oh man. He could have bought two and a half copies for the amount he paid!

Are there any good Wii bundles around at the moment? I've been keen to get one after I saw the new Donkey Kong game coming out. It reminded me how obsessed I was with the first DKC games, still probably the happiest gaming I've ever had in my life.

How likely is it that someone will bundle it with Galaxy 2? Do first party Nintendo games ever get bundled?

remz

Agyar said:
Anyone want to play some SSF4 tonight (360) tonight? Need some other beginners to play so I can learn to press button.
Hey hey, I might be on later, but I'm not exactly a beginner, is the thing. :S

Mar

toasty_T said:
Are there any good Wii bundles around at the moment? I've been keen to get one after I saw the new Donkey Kong game coming out. It reminded me how obsessed I was with the first DKC games

Heh, exactly how I feel. Since seeing that demo I've been trying to resist buying another Wii. God DKC was so awesome...

Poona

toasty_T said:
Are there any good Wii bundles around at the moment? I've been keen to get one after I saw the new Donkey Kong game coming out. It reminded me how obsessed I was with the first DKC games, still probably the happiest gaming I've ever had in my life.

How likely is it that someone will bundle it with Galaxy 2? Do first party Nintendo games ever get bundled?

All same here! :) Although I've had a Wii before (traded it in for a PS3), and so am now looking to get one again.

I'm pretty sure Myer and Toys R Us bundled New Super Mario Bros with the Wii when it came out, so first party bundling is not entirely unheard of. I can't find any bundles like that now though unfortunately.

I believe Big W are having their giant Toy Sale on July 1, which also coincides with the Aussie release of Galaxy 2 so they might do something. Target has their big toy sale around the same time, so there could be something there as well. If they or no-one else offers any good deals though I'll probably just pick up a Wii by itself at Game for $256 and import NSMB and Galaxy 2 from the UK for about $60 each.

Shaneus

Holy shit, has everyone seen how much we're copping it in the Steam sale today? Mass Effect 2 is only $24US if you live over there, or $47US (discounted!) when buying from over here.

Fuck that shit.

So despite being skeptical at first, I think I'm going to get one of those shiny new 360s.

Have any retailers released any preorder deals etc yet? I guess they want to flog as many of the elites as they can before they get people excited about the new ones, but I'm just wondering where I should preorder...

Kirby102

I too am interested with the 360S, just that I already have a 60GB Pro model (Falcon)... hope they do trade-in deals... or is my 360 not eligible anymore due to these RRoD's?

Shaneus

The sale on at Game is awesome. Some insanely good prices on a fairly random selection of games. After trading it in toward RDR, I managed to re-buy The Saboteur for 360 for $18 new. Also picked up Sega Rally and Mirror's Edge on PS3 for my brother for $8 a pop. ME was also available for PC for $4 (right after I paid $8AU on Steam, too... damnit).

Agyar

Shaneus said:
The sale on at Game is awesome. Some insanely good prices on a fairly random selection of games. After trading it in toward RDR, I managed to re-buy The Saboteur for 360 for $18 new. Also picked up Sega Rally and Mirror's Edge on PS3 for my brother for $8 a pop. ME was also available for PC for $4 (right after I paid $8AU on Steam, too... damnit).

I would pay $18 for The Saboteur, then put in a drawer and never play it but my GAME store didn't have any copies.

Yoshiya

$9 billion and all Telstra really have to do is agree to scrap its copper network (and then make a nice amount selling the copper) and move customers to the NBN as it is rolled out. NBN gets to use Telstra's useful existing infrastructure, such as Telstra's duct network, to keep as much of the fibre underground as possible.

The government will also spend an additional $2 billion to free Telstra from its extremely unprofitable Universal Service Obligation. Telstra shareholders must be thrilled.

Edit: Oh, and this deal doesn't mean anything until the shareholders vote on it in early 2011.

Edit x2: The threats to prevent Telstra from buying spectrum freed up by the digital TV switch and of forcing it to divest its HFC network have also been dropped. This really couldn't have worked out much better for Telstra.

Shaneus

Agyar said:
I would pay $18 for The Saboteur, then put in a drawer and never play it but my GAME store didn't have any copies.
Not... quite sure why you'd do that, because it's definitely worth playing!

Ventron

Yoshiya said:
$9 billion and alll Telstra really has to do is agree to scrap its copper network (and then make a nice amount selling the copper) and move customers to the NBN as it is rolled out. NBN gets to use Telstra's useful existing infrastructure, such as Telstra's duct network, to keep as much of the fibre underground as possible.

The government will also spend an additional $2 billion to free Telstra from its extremely unprofitable Universal Service Obligation. Telstra shareholders must be thrilled.

Edit: Oh, and this deal doesn't mean anything until the shareholders vote on it in early 2011.

Edit x2: The threats to prevent Telstra from buying spectrum freed up by the digital TV switch and of forcing it to divest its HFC network have also been dropped. This really couldn't have worked out much better for Telstra.

This screams of "I'm desperate for a good headline and I'll give you anything for it."

EDIT: Yep. http://www.news.com.au/technology/telstra-agrees-to-11bn-transfer-deal/story-e6frfrnr-1225881950521

Quasar

Yoshiya said:
$9 billion and alll Telstra really has to do is agree to scrap its copper network (and then make a nice amount selling the copper) and move customers to the NBN as it is rolled out. NBN gets to use Telstra's useful existing infrastructure, such as Telstra's duct network, to keep as much of the fibre underground as possible.

Fuck. Fucking Telstra.

Quasar

Ventron said:
This screams of "I'm desperate for a good headline and I'll give you anything for it."

I don't think its that (the agreement itself I mean). It is clear they were desperate for Telstra to agree to anything so the NBN would not die or get delayed forever.

Yoshiya

Quasar said:
I don't think its that (the agreement itself I mean). It is clear they were desperate for Telstra to agree to anything so the NBN would not die or get delayed forever.

At least the government can now produce a positive cost-benefit analysis with Telstra's existing customer base accounted for, which should shut the opposition up for a while. While I'm not happy with many aspects of this deal, the really wasn't any other option when the Coalition appear to think we still live in the 1950s. They would certainly prevent any more direct challenges to Telstra's monopolistic dominance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom