• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusPoliGAF Federal Election 2010 Thread of Fanta Pants and Budgie Smugglers

Status
Not open for further replies.

trinest

roosters93 said:
The crazy is starting to come out of Joyce's mouth.
Pretty much- hes the guy ABC has on right?

When he keeps bitching about the NBN been outdated- yes its possible its technology will be outdated but compaired to the other solutions by the Government its the most cost effective per lastability.

Also him saying them "winning" as a good thing for them- no its only because we didn't want anyone else.

I looked at a tabulated comparison of where the parties stood on various issues and found that my own view more closely align to the Greens... except in environmental policy.

I'm all for an ETS, but I very much want more roads, more dams, desalination and nuclear power for our metropolitan areas, rare endangered newts and NIMBYs be damned. Most of our country is going to remain untouched simply by virtue of population densities and national parks, so I say break those eggs and make that omelette rather than fight a losing battle for every last ecosystem along the coasts.

Salazar

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I'm all for an ETS, but I very much want more roads, more dams, desalination and nuclear power for our metropolitan areas, rare endangered newts and NIMBYs be damned. Most of our country is going to remain untouched simply by virtue of population densities and national parks, so I say break those eggs and make that omelette rather than fight a losing battle for every last ecosystem along the coasts.

I agree with you. I will sneak in an entreaty for some funding for early career research fellowships in the humanities. It will be good for the country.

mandiller

The journalist who questioned Oakshott and asked whether the rural hospitals need the $1.8 billion they fought for or if it should go to city hospitals (implying metro areas should get the money) PISSED me off immensely.

I'm very happy the independents are pushing for more rural needs because they have been overlooked far too long. I grew up in rural town with a hospital that has needed funding for 20 years and hasn't seen anything. I now live in a captial city (Brisbane) but I would still argue rural Australia needs more money.

The nerve of some people, urghhh.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
trinest said:
Can Gillard please learn to pronounce words properly.
She can't help it, she's Welsh.

mandiller said:
The journalist who questioned Oakshott and asked whether the rural hospitals need the $1.8 billion they fought for or if it should go to city hospitals (implying metro areas should get the money) PISSED me off immensely.

I'm very happy the independents are pushing for more rural needs because they have been overlooked far too long. I grew up in rural town with a hospital that has needed funding for 20 years and hasn't seen anything. I now live in a captial city (Brisbane) but I would still argue rural Australia needs more money.

I still remember my mother having to head to the closest hospital to give birth to my youngest brother. The distance was 30mins and that was most of the trip being 100km/hr - that was 15 years ago and it was only 1 hour north of Brisbane CBD

markot

Banned
mandiller said:

Yeah >.< ticked me off too... regional Australia finally gets a decent share and its 'stealing from the cities!'...

Fredescu

mandiller said:
Pretty sure she was fishing for good copy. It's common for journalists to ask horribly baiting questions to get some choice quotes, and they get away with it 100% of the time because the general public always focus on what was said and never the context it was said in.

mandiller

AAHAHHHH! Stupid journo did it again about saying metro hospitals should get the rural hospital funding. God damn. Visit a rural centre you idiot.

Fredescu

mandiller said:
AAHAHHHH! Stupid journo did it again about saying metro hospitals should get the rural hospital funding. God damn. Visit a rural centre you idiot.
You need to stop taking journalists questions at face value. You know how an internet troll works? Same concept. They're looking for reactions.

markot

Banned
Problem is these news papers and crap make so much out of HOSPITALS OUT OF CONTROL! BABY BORN IN HOSPITAL BROOM CLOSET! stuff >.< its mental... we have, especially in urban Australia, one of the best healthcare systems in the world. People in rural Austrlaia dont have the access to the same level of care, they have huge distances to cover, they have to go to big cities for any major event... Bleh.

I just hate how much political and media crap gets thrown around over hospitals. I remember when I lived in NSW, the opposition would pretty much hold press conferences with anyone that has had any problem in a hospital, shamelessly using the event to attack the government and politicise it...

Blehhhhhh.

trinest said:
Can Gillard please learn to pronounce words properly.

Only if Abbott's learns to speak in full sentences.

Ok, that's my last ever Abbott "joke", I promise. No point to make anymore. :D

EDIT: I take that back, he is doing a press conference after Gillard? Ok, after that, I promise.

Choc

Banned
The libs self implosion has begun, leadership spill on thursday

WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY EVEN CONSIDERING REPLACING HIM?!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Choc said:
The libs self implosion has begun, leadership spill on thursday

WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY EVEN CONSIDERING REPLACING HIM?!
link?

Salazar

markot said:
Glenn milne is crazy >.<

Wasn't his nickname the Poison Dwarf ?

It's good - if not as good as 'The Sphere of Influence' for Laurie Oakes.

Abbott is re-nominating for leadership on Thursday. It's unlikely to be a spill. It will be framed as a vote of confidence and sign of unity.

Pachael

Pachael said:
What, still not decided? Wilkie's seat was either Labor or uh, not, so that's not surprising.

wrt to the other three, suggest Oakeshott and Windsor will sign Julia up and Katter can stay independent, making it Labor+Bandt+Wilkie+Oakeshott+Windsor 76, Katter 1, Coalition 73 (without the influence of a 'swinging vote', Crook is unlikely to play tough anymore).

Pretty much there except Katter's pulled weight with the Coalition.

Overall it's a result that reflects both parties and their leaders - for all their abilities Julia has generally shaded Tony in their debates and policies and that's reflected here, but boy doesn't the lad fight.

Most of us get the good bits anyway with the NBN 'moving forward' and the internet filter probably dying in a heap.

Over/under? Well the Coalition will have to find a new leader - most opp. leaders that lose an election don't last very long and I think they've decided that someone else should take up the mantle. Poisoned chalices those leadership positions, they are.

Salazar

Pachael said:
Over/under? Well the Coalition will have to find a new leader - most opp. leaders that lose an election don't last very long and I think they've decided that someone else should take up the mantle. Poisoned chalices those leadership positions, they are.

I don't think there's time to screw Abbott over between now and Thursday. Bishop might lose deputy.

Salazar

i_am_ben said:
is that leadership spill thing true?

i can't find anything articles on it

It's just an assumption because of the swiftness with which Abbott is having to renominate for his position. SMH has an article on that, but it doesn't mention or even suggest a spill.

Pachael

Salazar said:
I don't think there's time to screw Abbott over between now and Thursday. Bishop might lose deputy.

It's just a matter of time - look it's the Malcolm signal!

PS When Julia has friends like these... who needs enemies (Kevni?)

In announcing his decision, Windsor told a press conference this afternoon that he had decided to support Labor because it was more likely to allow the Parliament to run a full three year term.

The Coalition, he said, was more likely to run to a new election as soon as possible.

Asked why he thought so, Windsor replied: “Because I think they would be more likely to win.”

Labor, however, is “more likely to be here for a longer period of time.”

The longevity of the new government, he added, was “key” to his decision.

In other words, Windsor has chosen deliberately to side with the party that he thinks is less likely to win the support of the Australian people at another election.

Asked specifically if this were the case, he replied: “That's my call.”

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I think people are really forgetting the fact that an NBN was so close to never happening.

"I've got Twitter on my iPhone, what more do I need!?"

Choc

Banned
Tony Windsor fucked it up and the media is having a field day

what he meant to say in my opinion was due to the massive loss of seats for Labor, it was likely that the Coalition would feel it had major momentum. thsi would lead to instability as they may jump at any chance to go to the polls to get their majority, this is not stable for 3 years.

Labor on the other hand has to work from teh bottom and fight and fight and fight and over the next 3 years not rush to the polls.

but he put it in the most fucked up way possible........

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Router said:
bring me my cheap high speed internets now thanks guies.

Pay to get your house rewired first BRAAAAA!

Anyways, not surprised by the result. Katters early conference confirmed it.

Yay for internets.

Rez said:
Glad to see Katter coward out to the whims of his electorate. What a leader.

:lol :lol :lol

Dude pretty much has the safest seat in Australia and he would have been re-elected no matter who he sided with. Coward.......... LULZ.

:lol :lol :lol

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
whats the Aboriginal referendum thing about?

its not that cringe worthy "first Australians" thing again is it?

Salazar

:lol

Good riddance, Tuckey.

wl88zb.jpg

Lulz at his sign. What a fucked-up homebrand press conference :lol

Conroy's net filter still "alive" and "kicking"

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...r-still-alive-and-kicking-20100910-1540s.html

The Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, is ploughing ahead with his internet filter policy despite there being virtually no chance any enabling legislation will pass either house of Parliament.

Independent MP Rob Oakeshott, the Opposition and the Greens have all come out against the policy, leaving it effectively dead in the water.

The Greens communications spokesman, Scott Ludlam, has called on the government to end the facade and drop the internet censorship scheme once and for all, as it was wasting time and taxpayers' money.

University of Sydney Associate Professor Bjorn Landfeldt said, given the catastrophic election result after only one term in government, it was "remarkable" the government was "pushing the very issues that undermined their credibility, rather than focusing their energy on important societal issues".

"One may wonder exactly what underlies this relentless pursuit of a mirage, given that there is just about zero support outside the cabinet," said Landfeldt.

"Surely it is no longer a matter of believing that the policy would benefit the general public."

The government is preparing to introduce legislation forcing ISPs to block a blacklist of websites that have been "refused classification" (RC) by government bureaucrats.

After intense criticism of the policy, including that "refused classification" included innocuous and politically sensitive material, Senator Conroy announced just before the election that his policy would be delayed until a review of RC classification guidelines could be conducted by state and territory censorship ministers.

This effectively means any internet filtering legislation will be delayed until next year, by which time the Greens will hold the balance of power in the Senate. The Greens have already said they would oppose the legislation, as has the Opposition.

But before it gets to the Senate the legislation would need to pass the House of Representatives, meaning Labor would need the support of Greens MP Adam Bandt and the independents Andrew Wilkie, Rob Oakeshott, Tony Windsor and Bob Katter.

Wilkie, Windsor and Katter could not be reached for comment but a spokesman for Oakeshott said he was against the filter.

In fact, last year Oakeshott helped a teenage campaigner in his electorate with a petition arguing the filter should be scrapped.

"It is not the government's role to be a net nanny. It is the role of every single household," Oakeshott told the Port Macquarie News at the time.

Senator Ludlam said in a phone interview that he wanted the review of RC guidelines to still go ahead but the government should drop the internet filtering policy altogether.

"It [the RC review] was quite transparently a political stalling tactic but that didn't make it a bad idea," he said.

"[The filter] is just a complete waste of chamber time. It's a waste of public servants' time who for the next 10 months are going to be progressing a mandatory filter proposal that has no chance of passing either house of parliament now."

Senator Ludlam said Senator Conroy should "get past this fixation" with the filter and turn his attention to other looming issues such as net neutrality and the Attorney-General's data retention proposal. The data retention proposal is being pushed by the Australian Federal Police and could see all web browsing history of Australian internet users logged for law enforcement to access.

A wide range of experts on the internet and child protection have long argued that a mandatory filter would be ineffective as it was easy to bypass, would not capture even a small percentage of the nasty content on the web and would give parents a false sense of security.

The big ISPs, including Optus, Telstra and iPrimus, have already pledged to block child-abuse websites voluntarily. This narrower, voluntary approach has long been advocated by internet experts and brings Australia into line with other countries such as Britain.

The Opposition pledged to bring back free voluntary PC-based internet filters for families, which existed under the Howard government but were scrapped by Senator Conroy to make way for his mandatory ISP-level filter.

"Recent OECD reports tell us the investment and quality of our higher education system is falling behind other developed countries; with the ludicrous house prices Australians can no longer move out of home, etc," said Landfeldt.

"There is no shortage of important issues and challenges for the government to focus on."

Despite the intense opposition, Senator Conroy is pushing ahead with the filter and has revealed "a suite of transparency measures to accompany the policy and ensure people can have faith in the RC content list", a spokeswoman said.

"The government does not support Refused Classification material being available on the internet. This material includes child sexual abuse imagery, bestiality, sexual violence and detailed instruction in crime," she said.

:lol Oh Conroy...

EDIT: :lol beaten!

Salazar

:lol

What a joke that man is.

To be sure, Australian politics has no shortage of minuscule-minded charisma-vacuums, but Conroy is a sad case.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
what do people think about the new cabinet?

interesting to see Wong get promoted to Finance. Didn't think she was that high up in the labor hierarchy.

Salazar

Mark Arbib's promotion sucks.
Giving Crean the Arts is ludicrous :lol
I think Stephen Smith is a good and talented bloke - more so than Rudd.

Dead Man

Salazar said:
Mark Arbib's promotion sucks.
Giving Crean the Arts is ludicrous :lol
I think Stephen Smith is a good and talented bloke - more so than Rudd.
Agreed on all counts. Also disappointed to see Wong get promoted (and that Finance is seen as a promotion, to be honest).

markot

Banned
The Australian announces that it wants to “destroy” the Greens
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/purepois...nnounces-that-it-wants-to-destroy-the-greens/

Also, looks like the ALP will win 2 party preferred, I guess Tony should be grateful that he didnt win, cause he was using that as the reason he should lead. Well, the moment his party was ahead, now we will never hear from it again, although I fear it may become one of those 'myth repeated often enough' things...

Not to mention Howard got like 48% in his first election as PM but nobody claimed he shouldnt be PM when he won most seats >.<

Salazar

Oh dear.

Murdoch should stick to the template of having one slightly restrained broadsheet and a squadron of lunatic tabloids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom