• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Rules Football (AFL) Thread |OT| Boy oh boy wowee!

Bullet Club

Carlton have signed ex-Tiger Callum Moore as a rookie.

Games lost to virus would be played in the bye rounds: AFL

The AFL has insisted they are not planning on postponing the season for one or two weeks in anticipation of a rapid spread of the virus and are continuing to act in accordance with the government's chief medical officer.

The league also confirmed their willingness to play games with crowds in some states and not in others as health restrictions may differ between states.

The league's strong view is that in the event games have to be cancelled, they will seek to find windows in which they can be rescheduled and the bye rounds are the most likely time frame for those games.

Bullet Club

AFL season still in doubt ahead of key Monday meetings

The league has indicated to clubs its determination to play a full home-and-away fixture of 198 matches despite the very real threat of matches being postponed as the impact of coronavirus hits hard over the coming weeks and months.

Bracing for inevitable financial hardship as a result of the virus, the AFL is not planning on asking for a government stimulus package, unlike rugby league, which has called for a federal government bailout in the wake of the ban on mass public gatherings.

Key figures from non-Victorian clubs have floated the possibility that their teams could have extended early-season road trips to minimise travel. An example would be Fremantle staying in Melbourne to play three matches in 10 or 11 days.

Measures being discussed to help clubs manage these unprecedented playing demands include:

- Extended interchange benches;
- top-up players
- shorter quarters

Bullet Club

The season has been reduced to 17 rounds.

They haven't decided if R1 will start this week. We will find out either later tonight after the player meeting or tomorrow.

All state leagues and junior comps suspended until May 31st.

Bullet Club

ZLcRTP5.gif

Bullet Club

The first half sucked but when it become more competitive in the second half it was a lot more enjoyable. I started getting used to there being no crowd by the second half as well.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Bullet, you should send him some classic 80s footy clips. The real rough & tumble stuff. I’d do it, but I don’t use Twitter.

Bullet Club

Season suspended until May 31.

AFLW season is finished. No premiers for this years.

The AFL and the clubs are going to be doing a lot of deep cost cutting.

WCE/Dees will still be playing tonight after Hawks/Lions.

Season suspended until May 31.

AFLW season is finished. No premiers for this years.

The AFL and the clubs are going to be doing a lot of deep cost cutting.

WCE/Dees will still be playing tonight after Hawks/Lions.
I thought they were going to call the season immediately and the Dees weren't playing. After waiting all pre-season I would have been spewing!

Bullet Club

I thought they were going to call the season immediately and the Dees weren't playing. After waiting all pre-season I would have been spewing!
Yeah that would have sucked for Dees & Eagles fans to not even get 1 game.

Although the way the Eagles are playing you might have wanted to skip this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom