• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Rules Football (AFL) Thread |OT| Boy oh boy wowee!

Bullet Club

Brisbane Lions players have been advised that they will be stood down without pay for now.

That's shitty news for the lower paid players.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It’ll be interesting seeing how some players that are used to blowing their monthly wage living the high life go living without it.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I think some teams are going to regret rushing in AFLW sides when their men’s teams are barely solvent. I’m thinking Roos, Saints, Bulldogs etc. I never understood it, to be honest.

Bullet Club

Some clubs have made a profit from their AFLW teams due to memberships. It will be interesting to see what happens with the AFLW though.

The players have agreed to take a 50% pay cut.

The soft cap for coaches and staff will drop from $10m down to $6.7m

The AFL execs have taken a 20% pay cut and won't be getting any bonuses.

Bullet Club

Lpm7VkH.jpg

F123MZn.gif

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I haven’t been following this story, but honestly North should probably relocate to Tasmania. They almost folded 10 years ago and can barely pull a crowd and yet they rushed through an AFLW side, why? Seems idiotic to me.

Tasmania is jonesing for a club and since the AFL won’t let them create one, why not make it the Kangaroos? Too many Vic teams anyway.

Shrap

Well, I bought myself and my old man a 2020 membership as a christmas present. Guessing that's all gone down the drain.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Well, I bought myself and my old man a 2020 membership as a christmas present. Guessing that's all gone down the drain.
Hopefully you are a Magpies supporter.

Eddie Mcguire reckons you can just “ring the club” and they’ll maybe not maybe give you your money back, lol.

Bullet Club

What's this about???
Tom Browne broke the story and they talked about it on Footy Classified. There are 2 American billionaires that are GWS fans and have been putting money into the club before all this happened to help the them out. If the club was made available to buy they would be interested.

One of them is a White House adviser.

MacReady13

Tom Browne broke the story and they talked about it on Footy Classified. There are 2 American billionaires that are GWS fans and have been putting money into the club before all this happened to help the them out. If the club was made available to buy they would be interested.

One of them is a White House adviser.

If this coronavirus continues, and the AFL aren't able to sustain all 18 clubs I have a feeling the only way most clubs will survive will be by having private owners.

Bullet Club

Yeah, the AFL feels like a bit of an expansion-happy house of cards, I'm not so sure teams in QLD or SA have a bright future at the mo'...
All the teams should be fine, for now. Player lists and assistant coaching roles might shrink though.

Actually makes me worried about Union...
Think it was already stuffed before all of this. Going from Foxtel to Optus wasn't a good sign.

A-League also has that problem.

All the teams should be fine, for now. Player lists and assistant coaching roles might shrink though.

Think it was already stuffed before all of this. Going from Foxtel to Optus wasn't a good sign.

A-League also has that problem.
Yeah... Australia has a bit of a problem with wanting to live like yanks with 25 odd million people rather than 300~ we want a bunch of sports, high wages (in hospitality to boot), low working hours, consequent high taxes, doesn't seem supportable.. maybe we can do without the a-league :p it's a bit of a cluster fuck with regards to average skill level.. definitely wish we could resurrect Union though :'( i miss the wallabies from '95-'05... Miss Stephen Larkham~

MacReady13

Yeah... Australia has a bit of a problem with wanting to live like yanks with 25 odd million people rather than 300~ we want a bunch of sports, high wages (in hospitality to boot), low working hours, consequent high taxes, doesn't seem supportable.. maybe we can do without the a-league :p it's a bit of a cluster fuck with regards to average skill level.. definitely wish we could resurrect Union though :'( i miss the wallabies from '95-'05... Miss Stephen Larkham~

We COULD live without the A League. It is barely a 3rd rate soccer league that has woeful skill levels.

In regards to AFL, i'm sure all clubs are now realizing that they have been spending FAR too much money on shit they really don't need. During the 80's and 90's, i'm quite sure people like sports scientists weren't all that important into how a player kicks a ball. I think football needs to get back to the basics- recruit actual footballers and not athletes. Train players for a set number of days a week without hours upon hours of meetings (they're fucking footy players, not surgeons/heads of businesses etc...) and let them work normal jobs. Stop making football a full time job. It never worried footy players in years past, so why does it today?

Quick edit- in terms of spending far too much, why does the coach need so many assistant coaches? Again, coaches have had assistants but not to the degree they do today. I heard Worsfold say on the radio a few months ago he doesn't speak to the players during the week AT ALL! He only speaks to them on game day! Now granted, that might only be him but I did hear David Teague say on radio as well 1 thing he will miss being the coach of the blues. His response--- I will miss the interaction with the players! The coach doesn't interact with the players?!? Who is then? The numerous assistants?

Last edited:
Top Bottom