• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austrian Retailer Lists Project Morpheus for Q2 2016, 399€

ekim

untitledvpr8j.png

http://www.gameware.at/info/space/Sony+Project+Morpheus+3D+VR-Brille?emphasize=P4H-PRMO#Headsets

Scroll down a bit.

I regularly check this site and didn't see that listing before. Might be a placeholder price but given that you can preorder and pay in advance for it, we might have the real deal here.

2thepoint

Oh god, no.

$199 and 249 euro (somewhere around that) and I'll for sure get that.

Maybe even $299 / 299 euro, but definitely not 399.

eFKac

It's more DoA than the PC VR's if it's priced as much, because there will be no crazy die hard enthusiasts that easily shell out on a titan x in SLI and Oculus to fall back on and create a dedicated niche.

I'll assume placeholder. We'll probably know by E3 though.

Nzyme32

It's more DoA than the PC VR's if it's priced as much, because there will be no crazy die hard enthusiasts that easily shell out on a titan x in SLI and Oculus.

I'll assume placeholder. We'll probably know by E3 though.

There are already plenty of enthusiasts particularly interested in going in for this at the high end, at the high cost. Like any new tech, for pricing to drop it is entirely on the enthusiasts to help that occur.

_Ryo_

Nope.

It's dead if so.

In fact the only way it can be this price is is PS4 drops down to $299 and it's included in a bundle...

convo

Oh god, no.

$199 and 249 euro (somewhere around that) and I'll for sure get that.

Maybe even $299 / 299 euro, but definitely not 399.

I don't see why you'd want one for sure if it only so much announced for it. I'd be more interested if this somehow gets PC drivers hacked together by people .

399 is quite reasonable, considering how phones today easily cost twice as much.

would've been better if it were 299 though. that would've been the sweet spot especially for new tech.

is that with the ps eye and move though?

2thepoint

Nah, that has to be a placeholder price.

Sony obviously know that's way too high for launch to gain traction.

And Australian game stuff is already priced way higher than US/EU.

So, 299 may be more palatable.

199 is perfect.

prag16

Banned
As others have said, that had better be a placeholder price, otherwise they're not selling very many of these..

I think $299 is gonna be the sweet spot for this to be a real success. A PS4 Bundle with Morpheus for around 599, bundled with a few free VR games, VR experiences and apps like Virtual Cinema would be great.

Vena

I don't think that price is unreasonable from a purely "what could this cost to produce" point of view. I'd imagine Sony would have to heavily subsidize it, though, if they don't want it to be DoA.

ekim

Nah, that has to be a placeholder price.

Sony obviously know that's way too high for launch to gain traction.

And Australian game stuff is already priced way higher than US/EU.

So, 299 may be more palatable.

199 is perfect.

Austrian!

2thepoint

Austria, not Australia.

The one with the spiders

Ooops, it's actually Austria.

Still, it can't be priced that high.

Didn't Shu say they were aiming for affordability.

And 399 most definitely isn't affordable - even for enthusiasts.

Boke1879

399 is quite reasonable, considering how phones today easily cost twice as much.

would've been better if it were 299 though. that would've been the sweet spot especially for new tech.

is that with the ps eye and move though?

But no doubt Sony will have to take a loss on this product just to achieve market penetration. At that price you are only getting the most hardcore to buy into the product.

I don't think Morpheus will be just an afterthought like Move. This is something they've invested in and it seems the industry is heading in this direction in the future.

Sony has the potential at least on the gaming side to be a market leader in this space. I say at most $299 but I'm hoping for a $199 sweet spot.

SerTapTap

I don't see why you'd want one for sure if it only so much announced for it. I'd be more interested if this somehow gets PC drivers hacked together by people .

PS always has a more than a few exclusive indies. Something like Flower, Hohokum or Sound Shapes but designed for VR would be amazing. Hell just port Flower and Unfinished Swan and I'll play them again in an instant. Planning on this as well as Vive. I think a lot of indies will want to get in on this and they seem to have internal studios on it too, at least for demos so far.

takoyaki

The shop itself is pretty good, but they (and other Austrian online shops) like to guess when it comes to release dates and prices that haven't officially been announced. I'm not saying this can't be correct, but it's more likely that this is just a guess on their part.

convo

Is the 'Project' part of the name still what it's officially called? That price point really isn't that terrible if you want to compare it to the PC hardware requirements of Occulus, however unfair it seems. I don't see them skimping the price for a novelty device right now.

Griss

Believable, but also no reason to believe it.

Could simply have had word from Sony that Morpheus preorders will go live post-E3 and decided to put a placeholder up.

300 euros is still my guess.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i think being more expensive or the same price as the console would doom it out of the gate. there's already that stigma about gaming peripherals

antonz

There are already plenty of enthusiasts particularly interested in going in for this at the high end, at the high cost. Like any new tech, for pricing to drop it is entirely on the enthusiasts to help that occur.

The VR tech enthusiast is not going to settle for the low powered PS4 VR when superior platforms available.

El-Suave

Gameware is a pretty good shop but they are highly inaccurate when it comes to preorder listings. I preordered a Fallout anthology that turned out to be based on an internet fake and they set fantasy prices on stuff like that, too. Back in the day they also had some fake Resistance listing, so this isn't the first or even the second time time they were wrong. Shop from them if you like but do not trust them with listings like this.

Liha

Banned
This must be a mistake or placeholder. I know their store (400m away from me) and I can't believe that they know more than anyone else.

Seems like a bargain to me. I guess all those subsidies on game consoles and smartphones have spoiled us into assuming that technology is really that cheap.

Top Bottom