• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

Smokey

Gonna address that ASAP. In the meantime in that 2017 340 like
training_day_photo21.jpg

Bandit1

Welp, a little back story I guess, (since I predictably can't sleep).

Been through countless cars in the past, in varying degrees of disrepair, from brand new to rotten husks, went through a phase of considering splashing cash on exotics but never pulled the trigger, just something about walking in to a dealership and handing over that amount of cash for something that'll be significantly less valuable the second it leaves the showroom, on the other hand, you end up with a car that increases in value, providing it's left stock and low mileage, neither of which I can deal with, cars are built to be driven.

Somehow through years of fiddling with cars, restoring cars selling cars and never really spending much of my monthly salary, I've amassed enough cash in savings to buy more or less any car in the $1-$800,000 range, but I couldn't do it, not for financial reasons but because it doesn't satisfy an everlasting itch I have to take things apart, so when I look for cars, it's either something I want to modify (as with my 86 and various drift slaves), or something I can strip down to nothing and rebuild from the ground up by hand, preferably something that may have never been road worthy again if I hadn't, and one of those projects was the 308 GTB, I know from the parts I saw that it needs lots of work but I won't know just how much work until I get it pulled out of where it currently languishes, and get under it to check out the floor pan and chassis.

I've enough experience with rebuilds and restorations to know if somethings feasibly savable or if it's too far gone - and in some cases too far gone may just be that if it was repaired it just wouldn't be the same vehicle any more - won't know until I get under it.

I get shit off friends of the family all the time, asking why I drive my beaters or the dd 86 and don't just go out and buy something fancy, and I've tried, many times to explain why I don't, but as they're mostly Japanese, they just don't get it, I think in a large part because Japanese society has, for a long time now, drilled into the general populace that once something is a few years old, or over a certain amount of miles, it's past it's prime and should be replaced, more and more I see people look at vehicles as nothing but a tool that you replace rather than repair, crush or sell rather than continue to use something worn - I have literally heard of people having a minor accident, such as wreaking a door panel after driving too close to a post and either selling or scrapping the vehicle - it's depressing, and for years now I've been telling my wife that once we decide on where we want to live, i'll be building a huge garage and getting myself a bunch of projects to work on - the only saving grace is that she is fully supportive of that desire, so when the time comes I'll be left to my own devices and can sit and peacefully pull apart an old v8 in peace.

In a way I get a little sad at times hanging out in the thread, it's nice to see new cars and the fancy stuff people buy/drive, but I'm aching for someone to come in and post some older stuff they're working on, or even just standard, normal day to day cars that people have wrenched on, so long as they love it, and put time in to it, that's the kinda shit I love.

With that in mind, I'm still waiting for EVO to take me up on my suggestion about 30 pages back to buy something run of the mill and customize/upgrade it :p

Come on folks, let's see you getting your hands dirty!

I feel you. I pretty much only deal with old cars. There are two main reasons for this. 1. I like old cars, I like the way they look, I like thinking about their history, where did they come from? Who owned them? 2. They are usually cheaper/easier to work on. Let's face it, I'm poor. With old cars most of the time I can do the work myself and parts are less expensive.

It's been awhile since I've been able to work on something for myself, the last thing I worked on was for someone else, a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass (possibly a 442 though apparently 1971 was the last year you could tell by the VIN and this car had a 350 and automatic.)

33291498086_8549057cea_c.jpg

The guy had bought it at an auction and it was missing some parts including the transmission. I put a TH400 in it and finished assembling the car. I'm going through some stuff right now but hopefully I'll be able to get back to work soon.

But I'm looking forward to seeing the 308 GTB, that's exciting stuff! We need pics even if you don't end up buying it. Was this the project car you were hinting at a while back or did I miss that?

GHG

I took my 335 in for oil change at dealership during work since they were closest, and price was about same everywhere else. Had them do multi point inspection for the fuk of it. I know ish needed to be taken care of, these dudes came back with repairs/fixes totaling $12,000

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

bruh

Noooo the flashbacks.

It's like the stealerships think they can get away with anything they want whenever they see an older BMW out of warranty.

But you're gonna trade it in soon right?
Right?

J-Rzez

It looks absolutely insane for a US bound model. I love it, but I bet dealers will be scummy as fuck and overcharge, and it will be way too limited in numbers. Probably just like an RS or worse.

I talked to someone who sells at a Honda dealer, $10k adm. RS part 2. Jacking up the price of the affordable everyman performance cars by 25-30% because fuck you that's why.

Getting flashbacks of finding a dealership not charging ADM for my RS...

That Mac 720... Wooowza.

Smokey

Noooo the flashbacks.

It's like the stealerships think they can get away with anything they want whenever they see an older BMW out of warranty.

Right?

I dunno. It feels really great to not have a note on it.

The fact that a Camaro V6 is even considered to be a challenger to the M2 shows how much Chevy has advanced.

ohhhhhh

didn't even dawn on me that this is the V6 Camaro.

GHG

Has an OT title been decided yet?

I dunno. It feels really great to not have a note on it.

ohhhhhh

didn't even dawn on me that this is the V6 Camaro.

I hear you. Especially when its the first car you've paid off as well.

friday

Hey guys, does anyone have some solid advise of selling cars on craigslist? I have had my 99 miata posted on there for a minute, but I have only received casual offers so far. I think I need to fix up my ad.

matmanx1

Dude, I totally respect you for this. I would love to be in the position where I could do something like this but for now I must live vicariously through folks like yourself.

I've been topping off for a while actually, but the oil valve cover is bad enough that that you can smell burning oil outside of the car, and in it when driving. Not all the time, but it's there. From what he was telling me that and the upper radiator hose should be highest priority.

I'm getting some bad flashbacks here. I think I need a moment....

Noooo the flashbacks.

Right?

Haha, you and I have both felt the "BMW burn" haven't we? My nature is to want to keep a car and nurture it and love it, applying appropriate maintenance and repair when necessary. But with BMW, oh man, that experience left me feeling abused and frazzled. Too many parts breaking well before the 100,000 mile mark that you wouldn't have issues with on other brands. The only BMW I will consider owning again is a new'ish one with a full warranty.

Been through countless cars in the past, in varying degrees of disrepair, from brand new to rotten husks, went through a phase of considering splashing cash on exotics but never pulled the trigger, just something about walking in to a dealership and handing over that amount of cash for something that'll be significantly less valuable the second it leaves the showroom, on the other hand, you end up with a car that increases in value, providing it's left stock and low mileage, neither of which I can deal with, cars are built to be driven.

Somehow through years of fiddling with cars, restoring cars selling cars and never really spending much of my monthly salary, I've amassed enough cash in savings to buy more or less any car in the $1-$800,000 range, but I couldn't do it, not for financial reasons but because it doesn't satisfy an everlasting itch I have to take things apart, so when I look for cars, it's either something I want to modify (as with my 86 and various drift slaves), or something I can strip down to nothing and rebuild from the ground up by hand, preferably something that may have never been road worthy again if I hadn't, and one of those projects was the 308 GTB, I know from the parts I saw that it needs lots of work but I won't know just how much work until I get it pulled out of where it currently languishes, and get under it to check out the floor pan and chassis.

I've enough experience with rebuilds and restorations to know if somethings feasibly savable or if it's too far gone - and in some cases too far gone may just be that if it was repaired it just wouldn't be the same vehicle any more - won't know until I get under it.

I get shit off friends of the family all the time, asking why I drive my beaters or the dd 86 and don't just go out and buy something fancy, and I've tried, many times to explain why I don't, but as they're mostly Japanese, they just don't get it, I think in a large part because Japanese society has, for a long time now, drilled into the general populace that once something is a few years old, or over a certain amount of miles, it's past it's prime and should be replaced, more and more I see people look at vehicles as nothing but a tool that you replace rather than repair, crush or sell rather than continue to use something worn - I have literally heard of people having a minor accident, such as wreaking a door panel after driving too close to a post and either selling or scrapping the vehicle - it's depressing, and for years now I've been telling my wife that once we decide on where we want to live, i'll be building a huge garage and getting myself a bunch of projects to work on - the only saving grace is that she is fully supportive of that desire, so when the time comes I'll be left to my own devices and can sit and peacefully pull apart an old v8 in peace.

In a way I get a little sad at times hanging out in the thread, it's nice to see new cars and the fancy stuff people buy/drive, but I'm aching for someone to come in and post some older stuff they're working on, or even just standard, normal day to day cars that people have wrenched on, so long as they love it, and put time in to it, that's the kinda shit I love.

With that in mind, I'm still waiting for EVO to take me up on my suggestion about 30 pages back to buy something run of the mill and customize/upgrade it :p

Come on folks, let's see you getting your hands dirty!

Missed this post, but I completely agree. I also get the same thing from most people I know. I've owned 10 cars so far and the most I've ever spent on one is $3400. They're also all from the 90's or older. Not because that's all I could afford, but that's what I wanted to drive.

I very well could have bought a new car and have it payed off already, but where's the fun in that? Why have one boring car when I could have several cheaper cars, which in my opinion are better.

That said, I would post all the work I do to my cars, but with my work and school schedule I have no days off. So I haven't done actual car work in like 5 months and all but one of my cars is currently off the road. Can't wait to quit my current job.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hmm? It's the metric horsepower rating. Always has been. This car has 720 of them. Or 710 American horsepowers.

Sorry, I should have said "Arbitrary" - my issue with it is that let's say McLaren makes a four door for some bonkers reason, and it's 730hp to accommodate the extra weight. Now I can't tell which car is which when I read the Wikipedia in five years, and it's not helped by the design language, which I find beautiful, but frustratingly similar across vehicles. The only car I can be 100% certain of identifying based on name is the F1.

This is the kind of complaint that a starving man on a desert island makes about a steak he once had, admittedly.

The fact that a Camaro V6 is even considered to be a challenger to the M2 shows how much Chevy has advanced.

Or the fact that in some meaningful ways it handles better than the M2

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Sorry, I should have said "Arbitrary" - my issue with it is that let's say McLaren makes a four door for some bonkers reason, and it's 730hp to accommodate the extra weight. Now I can't tell which car is which when I read the Wikipedia in five years, and it's not helped by the design language, which I find beautiful, but frustratingly similar across vehicles. The only car I can be 100% certain of identifying based on name is the F1.

This is the kind of complaint that a starving man on a desert island makes about a steak he once had, admittedly.

Or the fact that in some meaningful ways it handles better than the M2

I'm sure if they made a sedan, it'll have a little badge or letter at the end designating it as such. Like an "L". But this is all pretty rhetorical.

Ovid

Hey guys, does anyone have some solid advise of selling cars on craigslist? I have had my 99 miata posted on there for a minute, but I have only received casual offers so far. I think I need to fix up my ad.
Yeah, try Autotrader.

My car was sold in less than a month using that site.

hwalker84

2006 Grand Cherokee needs exhaust manifold replaced to pass inspection later this year. What's the damage i may be looking at? Under $2000? I'm trying to debate whether I keep this vehicle or get a new one.

Bandit1

2006 Grand Cherokee needs exhaust manifold replaced to pass inspection later this year. What's the damage i may be looking at? Under $2000? I'm trying to debate whether I keep this vehicle or get a new one.

It shouldn't be $2000. The exhaust manifold should just be a chunk of metal, quick Google search looks like a manifold would be less than $200. Labor is probably where most of your cost will come in because they're probably a little tricky to get to. I'd like to say it should be under $1000 total for part and labor, but I only work on old cars so I might be missing something.

Also just a heads up, everybdy's pretty much moved to OT3

Mistel

Banned
It's been awhile since I've been able to work on something for myself, the last thing I worked on was for someone else, a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass (possibly a 442 though apparently 1971 was the last year you could tell by the VIN and this car had a 350 and automatic.)

33291498086_8549057cea_c.jpg

The guy had bought it at an auction and it was missing some parts including the transmission. I put a TH400 in it and finished assembling the car. I'm going through some stuff right now but hopefully I'll be able to get back to work soon.
It's likely got the W29 option which would make it a 442 but on the other hand it could just be a cutlass. You are right about 71 being the last year you could tell as it would have had 44 for the body type in the VIN for a 442.

Bandit1

It's likely got the W29 option which would make it a 442 but on the other hand it could just be a cutlass. You are right about 71 being the last year you could tell as it would have had 44 for the body type in the VIN for a 442.

I'm not up on the Cutlasses so much, but after some googling I'd say it did have the W29 option.

Mistel

Banned
I'm not up on the Cutlasses so much, but after some googling I'd say it did have the W29 option.
With the blackout grille surrounds, headlight bezels, and the parking lights in the bumper in conjunction with W29 option it is then a 442 I'd say too. One that's not been cloned into a W30 either.

AlphaSnake

With the blackout grille surrounds, headlight bezels, and the parking lights in the bumper in conjunction with W29 option it is then a 442 I'd say too. One that's not been cloned into a W30 either.

This thread is dead. Please use the link above for OT3

Bandit1

The headlight bezels were reproductions, but as far as the owner knew the grilles and the bumper were original.

Like Alpha said, this thread is pretty much dead, but you shoud head over to OT3. Not very many people I get to talk old American muscle with, so the more the merrier!

I had my car looked at for anything out of the ordinary (Preparing for a cross country move)
and what they found was that my Front Lower Ball Joint Boots were ripped and that my lower control arm bushing is cracking.

How necessary are these repairs? I really don't want to drop close to a grand if possible

Xdye7

I had my car looked at for anything out of the ordinary (Preparing for a cross country move)
and what they found was that my Front Lower Ball Joint Boots were ripped and that my lower control arm bushing is cracking.

How necessary are these repairs? I really don't want to drop close to a grand if possible

Go to the dealer and pay whatever they tell you to. You deserve it.

Stop posting in this fucking thread.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1351158

Afrikan

Do people REALLY save alot $$$ using hybrid cars in comparison to traditional cars?

I used a mpg website calculator for two cars I'm interested in.

2012 BMW 528i = 23mpg (city)

2013 Avalon Hybrid = 40mpg (City)

And it told me with a year of driving (15,000) miles.. at around the same prices.. it would cost $900 something for the Hybrid..... and $1,700 for the traditional.

Something seems off. I might be misremembering some #s.

I'm not rich or anything, but saving $800-900 to make a change to uncharted territory doesn't seem worth it for me....I think I would need to get a new mechanic... and I love my current one.

I've driven nothing but Bimmers since the early 2000s. 1995 325i, 2000 328i, 2011 328i.

But I'm open alittle bit right now.. but not really.

Do people REALLY save alot $$$ using hybrid cars in comparison to traditional cars?

I used a mpg website calculator for two cars I'm interested in.

2012 BMW 528i = 23mpg (city)

2013 Avalon Hybrid = 40mpg (City)

And it told me with a year of driving (15,000) miles.. at around the same prices.. it would cost $900 something for the Hybrid..... and $1,700 for the traditional.

Something seems off. I might be misremembering some #s.

I'm not rich or anything, but saving $800-900 to make a change to uncharted territory doesn't seem worth it for me....I think I would need to get a new mechanic... and I love my current one.

I've driven nothing but Bimmers since the early 2000s. 1995 325i, 2000 328i, 2011 328i.

But I'm open alittle bit right now.. but not really.

My opinion is that you have to drive a LOT of miles to make a hybrid worth it. For example, in my first real IT job we had a Prius that got driven probably 40-50K miles a year, maybe even more. Compared to the Suburbans we used to haul around a trailer and thousands of pounds of gear plus a full work crew it was saving the company hundreds a month to use it as the daily house call vehicle. The payments on the thing literally paid for themselves in gas costs. The damn thing might as well have been free.

Thing is, those things are econocars with fancy screens in them. And you'd HATE a car like that, I guarantee it. Same thing with any dedicated hybrid model and any electric that's not a Tesla.

To get a comparable car like 330i vs 330e, figure on about 5-7K upcharge in price for the hybrid model. At 800 dollars a year, that's like 10 years before the cost difference is made up.

The newer PHEVs MIGHT be worth it if you have a garage but that's significantly harder to calculate.

Stasis

Can anyone help me identify the make/model/year of the black convertible?

I feel like Mercedes but I'm not finding those tail lights.

Thanks in advance!

g2Hl57A.png

AlphaSnake

Please stop posting in this thread go to OT3. How are people digging up this ancient thread still?

Top Bottom