• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'll pop them off again, but didn't seem like anything out of the ordinordinary. Certainly no sound or feel.

I was just about to make this same post lmao. I hope they never see my wallet, I don't want the gaf mob to get me

I already posted my wallet in that thread and tbh it's all the same to me. If Louis Vuitton had a zip card case with a ID slot instead of Jack Spade, I'd definitely would've gotten the LV wallet. But when I looked months ago neither LV, Gucci, nor Prada, or any of the high end brands had what I was looking for, plus the patterns on it were quite interesting so I got the JS instead.

I can clip intracranial aneurysms (hence the name) so no worries. :)

Ahhhhhhhh. Now I understand why you're going for those cars you posted.

Tbh I always wanted to be in the medical field, most of my family is in the medical field but studying up biology in college just wasn't for me and I had a lot more fun hanging out with the weirdos in the music dept(I was a band geek in HS too) plus I had more creative smarts than book smarts so I went against the tide haha.

I sorta regret it coz I spent 2 years after college basically unemployed(freelancing as a photographer/videographer sucks) but it all worked out in the end so I can't say I regret it too much lol.

Its priorities. I think spending more than $50 on a wallet is too much, but $2k on wheels is perfectly fine.

And that's perfectly fine.

I don't care where people spend their money, as I've been saying in that thread, you do you.

I just don't get why people have to be all up in someone's business for wanting to waste their money.

And that's perfectly fine.

I don't care where people spend their money, as I've been saying in that thread, you do you.

I just don't get why people have to be all up in someone's business for wanting to waste their money.

I haven't even read that thread yet, but I remember the Tesla Model 3 threads, Miata threads, and S2000 threads where people are just going crazy and emotional about everything.

I assumed the thing would happen with that wallet thread. I personally don't care about wallets, but obviously, like many in this thread, I care more about cars and games. I also don't understand why some posters are up in someone's face about how they're spending money.

v1lla21

Poster:
"Yo wtf spending 350 on a wallet? Fucking idiot."

Same poster then goes on to buy some collectors edition of some Jrpg game.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I was with you until I saw that hideous Maserati SUV in London this morning. Somebody needs to say something. Looks like an early 90s Hyundai crossover.

I was with you until I saw that hideous Maserati SUV in London this morning. Somebody needs to say something. Looks like an early 90s Hyundai crossover.

It's pretty gnarly but it's no Nissan Murano cabriolet. The first time I saw one of those I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

Pinewood

I like the Levante...

If I had the money and if I was going to get a luxury SUV I would probably get the V6 F-pace but I like it

matmanx1

I like the Levante...

If I had the money and if I was going to get a luxury SUV I would probably get the V6 F-pace but I like it

Speaking of, I saw an F-Pace this morning in Loire Blue (sort of like a metallic very dark blue) and it was absolutely gorgeous. Being a fan of blue cars in general, I really liked it.

And then just down the street I saw an F-Type convertible in some sort of lava orange like color that I had never seen before. That color does not appear on the 2018 list of options but I still liked it. That one made the third F-Type I have seen in or near Rome, Ga (where I work) in the last couple of weeks.

If you know anything about Rome or Northwest Georgia in general you would know that seeing a Jaguar anything is somewhat rare. I'm thinking that a few of the doctors and lawyers in the area have decided to take a break from their usual BMW's and Audi's to try Jag ownership. And as smitten as I am with the Macan GTS I will definitely give at least the F-Pace (if not the F-Type and the XE) a serious look and test drive when the time comes to actually purchase.

As good a job as Jaguar seems to be doing right now it would be silly of me to overlook them.

I always try to attached additional money to a certain quality. For clothing, boots and watches you can do that. Maybe I'll spend $1,000 or more on a high quality watch, but a $30,000 watch is just a status symbol for rich people--there's no more quality. For wallets, hell, that gain in quality probably ends at $100.

It would be like having a titanium and carbon fiber turn signal stalk on your steering wheel. Cool, I guess...but umm.... okay?

My general rule with everything in life is don't cheap out, but know where the line is that the exponential increase in expenditure winds up with minimal extra return. It takes research to figure this out but I've discovered that it's actually cheaper to live that way.

golem

Its priorities. I think spending more than $50 on a wallet is too much, but $2k on wheels is perfectly fine.

Yep I used to pick up some expensive wallets but realized I trashed them in a year or so, completely not worth it. Just use slim card holders now. HREs though... hell yeah!

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Speaking of, I saw an F-Pace this morning in Loire Blue (sort of like a metallic very dark blue) and it was absolutely gorgeous. Being a fan of blue cars in general, I really liked it.

And then just down the street I saw an F-Type convertible in some sort of lava orange like color that I had never seen before. That color does not appear on the 2018 list of options but I still liked it. That one made the third F-Type I have seen in or near Rome, Ga (where I work) in the last couple of weeks.

If you know anything about Rome or Northwest Georgia in general you would know that seeing a Jaguar anything is somewhat rare. I'm thinking that a few of the doctors and lawyers in the area have decided to take a break from their usual BMW's and Audi's to try Jag ownership. And as smitten as I am with the Macan GTS I will definitely give at least the F-Pace (if not the F-Type and the XE) a serious look and test drive when the time comes to actually purchase.

As good a job as Jaguar seems to be doing right now it would be silly of me to overlook them.

Firesand Metallic.

It's an awesome color. They stopped it after 16s, I think.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

It's pretty gnarly but it's no Nissan Murano cabriolet. The first time I saw one of those I think I threw up in my mouth a little.

I like the Levante...

When I see the back of a Levante...all I see is:

maxresdefault.jpg

Maserati-Levante-2017-1600-47.jpg

Idk why. It just looks like an evolved Gen-3 to me.

Just saw the new M5 on the road.

Dude had jersey plates and blacked out badges so he must have been up here in NY from their jersey headquarters, or its a press car.
Speeding on roads I usually don't speed on and I wasn't in my M3 so I couldn't keep up.

Only got to see it from behind as he was too fast but car looks sweet and seems smaller than the F10.

Also saw the new panamera turbo for the first time yesterday. Another jersey car. Looked sweet and I got to see the wing come up.

DrMungo

thinking of getting a 1991 BMW 325 (e30) with manual transmission and convertible.
I can't drive manual, and found one relatively clean at $4k. And I always wanted to learn to drive manual. Everyone always raves about the e30 so I figured its a good start.

I would get a miata, but my two little boys both love cars so I need back seats so I can ride with both of them at the same time.

I read online that these are pretty tough cars. Anyone with good experience working on these things? I'm a pretty novice mechanic, but willing to learn. Youtube and a ratchet set are my only tools =)

Any craigslist tips?

negitoro7

Yep I used to pick up some expensive wallets but realized I trashed them in a year or so, completely not worth it. Just use slim card holders now. HREs though... hell yeah!

Damn I want me some HRE FF01s in Tarmac black for next summer but they're $3400 CAD before tax around here. Will likely instead "settle" for OZ Leggera HLT in black to save a few bucks.

My general rule with everything in life is don't cheap out, but know where the line is that the exponential increase in expenditure winds up with minimal extra return. It takes research to figure this out but I've discovered that it's actually cheaper to live that way.

Yeah I'm the same way.

I could easily go buy a pair of Yeezy Boosts right now, and believe me, I really want to. But I abuse the hell out of my shoes and they last me 1-2 years tops. So spend $600+ for a shoe that I'm gonna throw out really quickly? Nah.

I may be dumb for wanting a pair of overhyped Yeezy's but I'm not dumb enough to spend that kind of money on shoes. I can buy 3 pairs of NMD's for that kind of money. Of course the only thing the NMD's don't have is the blessing of Yeezus but I can live without it lol.

matmanx1

Firesand Metallic.

It's an awesome color. They stopped it after 16s, I think.

Thank you, sir. It is indeed an awesome color. I happen to think a good metallic orange hue, when done right, looks great on a sports car like the F-Type. And, come to think of it, on other English made sports cars like the McLaren's and Lotus's of the world.

It's really the front half of the car that does in the Levante. The back doesn't bother me that much. The headlight cluster and hoodline are just hideous. Everything from the cab back is just generic and bland but inoffensive, at least to my eyes.

The Murano Cabriolet shouldn't be allowed to exist and looks bad from literally every angle, top up or down.

golem

Yeah I'm the same way.

I could easily go buy a pair of Yeezy Boosts right now, and believe me, I really want to. But I abuse the hell out of my shoes and they last me 1-2 years tops. So spend $600+ for a shoe that I'm gonna throw out really quickly? Nah.

I may be dumb for wanting a pair of overhyped Yeezy's but I'm not dumb enough to spend that kind of money on shoes. I can buy 3 pairs of NMD's for that kind of money. Of course the only thing the NMD's don't have is the blessing of Yeezus but I can live without it lol.

Join us in the Sneaker thread and ride our rollercoaster of broken dreams. Managed to snag only 1 pair at retail this year :/

It's really the front half of the car that does in the Levante. The back doesn't bother me that much. The headlight cluster and hoodline are just hideous. Everything from the cab back is just generic and bland but inoffensive, at least to my eyes.

The Murano Cabriolet shouldn't be allowed to exist and looks bad from literally every angle, top up or down.

I'll respectfully disagree as I find the Maserati Levente's front design to be fine. It doesn't look anywhere near as hideous as many other cars out there. The grill makes a bold statement with all that chrome and aggressive styling. The headlights are thin and aggressive as well. I think it'd stand out in a middle of a parking lot or in traffic in a good way.

Would I buy one? Probably not, but there are way worse cars out there.

The Nissan Juke, BMW i3, a bunch of Lexus cars, and Toyota cars all have it way worse.

oh baby my M2 finally shipped

buena park -> seattle

Awww snap.

We need pics the moment it gets there lol.

Join us in the Sneaker thread and ride our rollercoaster of broken dreams. Managed to snag only 1 pair at retail this year :/

Lmao I tend to stay away from the Sneaker thread coz I don't want to be more broke haha.

I think the "Zebra" NMD XR1's are gonna be my last cop for the year... been eyeing them for a while now and I was gonna buy them this month but I ended up buying a GTI instead so that purchase got moved back to October lol.

So Motortrend finishes their best driver's car feature tomorrow. Who do you think wins?

The finalists are:
Camaro ZL1 1LE
Porsche 911 Turbo S
Ferrarri 488 GTB
Porsche Cayman 718 S

Given the list in question, it's gotta be the Ferrarri, right? Although they might give it to the ZL1 even though that thing is 100% track day special.

e90Mark

IIRC, the track day specials usually don't win these. Feel like it'd be more in the running without the 1LE package. I'd like the Cayman or 488.

I'm actually pretty surprised the Cayman made it to the final round. Plenty of torque but it needs better tires and more top end power + a better sounding engine. I'm guessing ZL1 in second with the Ferrari at #1.

The Cayman GT4 might win when it eventually appears.

I'm actually pretty surprised the Cayman made it to the final round. Plenty of torque but it needs better tires and more top end power + a better sounding engine. I'm guessing ZL1 in second with the Ferrari at #1.

Even though I have the car, I actually am surprised the 718 Cayman S made it to the finals that far. I know everyone thinks the sound sucks and is Satan's demon spawn or something (e.g. People are basically bitching and moaning, jumping on the bandwagon without knowing anything or driving it to experience it) and it's because of this reason alone I'm surprised it made it that far.

But honestly, I'm not surprised it made it that far either because of the way it drives. There's no denying that the performance and handling of the 718 Cayman S is a substantial increase over the 981 models previously, which are amazing already. I think it deserves its finalist position.

However, I think the Ferrari or the Camaro will win overall. Because if the Porsche 911 Turbo S wins again, then people will moan again how Porsche always wins. Just my sentiments.

I also think the Cayman GT4 already won 2nd or 3rd place in the previous year's Motortrend finalists, or the year before that. I forget. It was the year that the AMG GTS won overall.

matmanx1

An article I saw on Road and Track that I found to be very interesting. I'm a fan of automotive design and if I had any artistic talent whatsoever I might have studied it in school.

I remembered from the VIP tour that my Dad and I took last week at the Porsche Experience Center that certain design cues will always appear in a Porsche and one of those is having the hood line lower than the fender lines. Another one, which this article talks about, is that no Porsche has ever had or will ever have a grille. They have air intakes (which is usually the bottom area on the front of most cars) but no grilles (which is usually the top, chrome bits between the headlights on most cars).

I find that to be pretty fascinating and of course the article goes more in depth on they why and how of it. http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...4/heres-why-no-porsche-has-ever-had-a-grille/

Cowie

I drive by a fiat/alfa dealer every day on the way to my new job (which is already a bit torturous in itself,) but recently they popped a 4C out in front of it. Hell of a presence on that car, it really felt like something I'd never seen before despite having watched a handful of video reviews. I don't think it's the car for me (I might not even fit?), but looks like that in that price range is nuts. The F-Type is the only thing comparable for dollars-spent-to-heads-turned ratio IMO.

matmanx1

You never know. I will be driving a golf R this weekend. Think it might be a good winter beater. Also driving a C63s, 991S, Cayman 718, Macan GTS and RS3.

Let me know how the RS3 is. I really, really want to check one of those out if Audi decides to keep them around for a few years. I don't really *need* an SUV like the Macan GTS in my life and a seriously good small sports sedan like the RS3 might be a worthy alternative.

The Ferrari 488 takes it.

I'm actually shocked. The obvious winners (Ferrari 488, Porsche Cayman 718 S, Porsche 911 Turbo S) are actually the winners for this year's Motortrend awards. I thought the AMG GTR would've ranked higher than it did. But the others were expected. I thought Motortrend would give it to the Camaro just to shake things up. All cars were well deserved.

Yeah, that's a bumper crop of kick ass cars right there. Surprised the AMG GTR and Camaro didn't do better, but then they're track day specials and not good road cars. Which is something I can say about the top 3 finishers.

Really, really surprised they ranked the Cayman that high, even as a guy that owns a 981 and gets that it really just needs more torque to be perfect.

Both the Turbo S and 488 are just bonkers fast.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The ZL1 1LE is a monumental performance bargain. Just insane capability for the price. It also looks a billion times better than the base SS, which helps, too.

Yeah, that's a bumper crop of kick ass cars right there. Surprised the AMG GTR and Camaro didn't do better, but then they're track day specials and not good road cars. Which is something I can say about the top 3 finishers.

Really, really surprised they ranked the Cayman that high, even as a guy that owns a 981 and gets that it really just needs more torque to be perfect.

Both the Turbo S and 488 are just bonkers fast.

Again, I was in your shoes. Hell, I even had the 718 and I kept thinking to myself like every journalist and reviewer said,"Better sound, *moan about this, moan about that*"...But until I drove the 981 again, I didn't realize how much more substantial the driving dynamics were for the 718. Like, it's insane. You wouldn't notice it until you had some time with it and experimented with it in traffic, autocross, track, backroads, whatever.

These are all amazing cars, but it's just cool to see how much better it is as time goes on. I can only imagine what the future Cayman/Boxsters are like.

I'm honestly surprised the Turbo S didn't rank higher than the Cayman. The 488 is no surprise. I thought the 718 Cayman S would rank 3rd, not 2nd. But it's well deserved. Every car in this entire list is awesome. Anyone would be lucky to have any of them.

Buttons

Incoming flood of images. Just got back from the IAA here in Frankfurt and thought I would post some of the highlights I saw. :)

The Maybach concept, gorgeous land yacht.
20170920_152710dzs4i.jpg

Was pretty cool to see the AMG Project One in real life.
20170920_15295530s8m.jpg

20170920_175148wesi3.jpg

The Brabus stand had some gorgeous restored classic cars for sale.
20170920_154639xnsj5.jpg

20170920_154914g0siu.jpg

20170920_155020xmscl.jpg

The Ferrari Portofino is gorgeous, it looks so much better than the California T.
20170920_154525rzsbn.jpg

The Superfast is gorgeous as well.
20170920_1544275es05.jpg

20170920_1547228rsmf.jpg

718 Cayman, still one of my favourite cars. Got to sit in it and now I want one even more.
20170920_160822hisn9.jpg

Of course I had to take a photo of new Lambos.
20170920_1617175esqg.jpg

I was surprised at how sexy the new Bentley Continental GT is. Pure luxury and I love the rear lights and interiour.
20170920_162442vns7x.jpg

Now on to my favourite car of the show, the BMW Concept Z4... photos cannot do it justice. It is simply stunning. If the production vehicle looks anything like this concept it's going to be my next car.

20170920_1648514aszj.jpg

20170920_1647449gsus.jpg

20170920_164909nwsyz.jpg

The 8 series concept is also a stunner. Love the direction BMW is going with these.
20170920_165418rgs6t.jpg

Now on to one of the most controversial cars at the show. I know BMW wants a 3 row SUV for the US and Chinese market but my god the front... there really is something as too large kidney grills. The rest of the car looks ok, reminds me of a Volvo XC90.
20170920_165737qcsft.jpg

Now the car which surprised me. Normally I am not a fan of all of Lexus and its styling but the LC500 actually looks pretty good. I love the wide rear wheel arches. Very aggressive. Still not the biggest fan of the front grill though.
20170920_171939obs89.jpg

20170920_172009ehsi2.jpg

And to end the post, my current favourite car. The AMG GTR. I would settle for a normal GT or GTS but damn this thing was gorgeous. I got to sit in it and fell in love with it.
20170920_173724imsrc.jpg

v1lla21

Nice pictures. The Maybach Is Just pure elegance. What a vehicle.

🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽🙌🏽
The AMG GT S is also my favorite car currently in production.

I wonder how Aston and Nissan feels after getting beat by a cheap and adequately powered convertible lol.

Is it insulting to them? Or are they cool with it?

I’m also surprised the LC500 made it that high on the rankings. I wonder if this is a sign for things to come, especially for the new Supra?

I wonder how Aston and Nissan feels after getting beat by a cheap and adequately powered convertible lol.

Is it insulting to them? Or are they cool with it?

I’m also surprised the LC500 made it that high on the rankings. I wonder if this is a sign for things to come, especially for the new Supra?

I think the LC500 is amazing. Got to try it out not long ago. I don't think many people who want this car will take it to the tracks and everything. It's just a comfortable ride with some power behind it. It's definitely a grand tourer to leisurely drive around and listen to an awesome exhaust when you want. I guess it's similar to an Aston Martin but I've never driven one of those before.

burgerdog

The GT4 got second place in 2015, it lost to the AMG GT-S.

The GT4 got second place in 2015, it lost to the AMG GT-S.

I know. I'm talking about the one that releases roughly 2 years from now and is currently rumored to have a slightly detuned version of the NA FLAT 6 out of the 911 GT3. Should be an absolute monster.

I'm sticking with my 981 until I see the full spectrum of new gen Cayman offerings. I just got it, it's my first proper sports car and because of life stuff it doesn't make any sense for me to upgrade right now. at all. Plus the thing still blows my mind on a daily basis.

All things being equal, I still think the Cayman is probably the best daily driver driver's car you can buy. Decent gas mileage, easy to park, easily accessible and big enough trunk/frunk... makes a great city hauler.

burgerdog

I know. I'm talking about the one that releases roughly 2 years from now and is currently rumored to have a slightly detuned version of the NA V6 out of the 911 GT3. Should be an absolute monster.

I'm sticking with my 981 until I see the full spectrum of new gen Cayman offerings. I just got it, it's my first proper sports car and because of life stuff it doesn't make any sense for me to upgrade right now. at all. Plus the thing still blows my mind on a daily basis.

All things being equal, I still think the Cayman is probably the best daily driver driver's car you can buy. Decent gas mileage, easy to park, easily accessible and big enough trunk/frunk... makes a great city hauler.

Uh oh. Anyway, it's going to be a glorious day if those rumors are true.

Top Bottom