• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

ameratsu

I'm hearing great things about the 2018 WRX. Thicker front door glass and windshield glass for reduced wind noise, improved infotainment, re-tuned suspension that is supposed to be nicer / smoother for daily driving and an updated clutch and shifter for improved feel. If I needed one car to do it all my local Subaru dealer would be my first stop and the 2018 WRX would be my first test drive.

None of the Subaru dealerships in my province allow test drives on WRXes. Sucks because they're in my price range and look like they're fun cars.

Laws00

None of the Subaru dealerships in my province allow test drives on WRXes. Sucks because they're in my price range and look like they're fun cars.

Same i was looking for a car and they let me drive the imprezas but not the wrx

thought it was cause inexperienced and didnt know what i was looking for too that played a part in it

negitoro7

Got a bit of "behind the scenes" look at the RS3 and TTRS yesterday at the local Audi dealership who just got these two in. Got to sit in the RS3 and start her up, my goodness the engine note immediately made my pants a little tighter. It crackled on startup! 🤤

They'll contact me soon for a test drive of the RS3. Would be between that or the M2 pending job promotion.

3BQpfLU.jpg

vrQPAHb.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Got a bit of "behind the scenes" look at the RS3 and TTRS yesterday at the local Audi dealership who just got these two in. Got to sit in the RS3 and start her up, my goodness the engine note immediately made my pants a little tighter. It crackled on startup! 🤤

They'll contact me soon for a test drive of the RS3. Would be between that or the M2 pending job promotion.

3BQpfLU.jpg

vrQPAHb.jpg

One of my car buying regrets (and this time there are less than usual) is not test driving the A and S3. RS would be too much maintenance but it does sound lovely. I got a taste of the RS6 Avant in New Zealand last year and everything from the seat stitching to the engine note were perfect.

hwalker84

Soooo went to one dealership today. Test drive the WRX. Everything was good. The sales associate was pleseant. Then the General Sales Manager who I was emailing became a massive tool.

Showed him the numbers from two other dealers. He became very standoffish. Said these numbers are bullshit. Started tapping his feet and wouldn't even look me in the eye. I said ok I'm in no rush I'll go talk to the other two dealers.

And get this... He was only $9 off. You lost a sale over $9 or $324 dollars over the course of the lease.

Culex

Banned
I found a used 2016 Audi A6 TDI that is being sold... anyone have exp driving the diesel version? I hear with a 500 buck ECU upgrade it'll do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds.

ameratsu

On the subject of test drives, I went and test drove a 2017 Civic SI Sedan yesterday. It's really nice inside, much nicer than the Elantra Sport and Focus ST. A 6500rpm redline in a civic SI feels so wrong, and unexpected as I hit the fuel cut the first time I revved it out. The lack of an audio knob is infuriating... the knob you would think controls volume just controls driver climate. Audio is controlled by a slider on the touchscreen or via steering wheel controls.

I know this sounds crazy, especially coming from someone who currently drives an Integra GSR, but I would probably take the Elantra Sport (or possibly the upcoming refreshed Elantra GT) over the Civic SI and save a few thousand bucks.

I also drove a new Focus ST with the 401A package so it has carbon fiber trim pieces barfed everywhere. I love how it drives, and the recaros, but the interior is seriously dated, especially against current generation cars from competitors. I also liked Honda and Hyundai's infotainment system more than Sync 3.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I just found my childhood toy on eBay. Never thought I'd be able to find this, especially because I was 5 and still was able to recall exactly what it looked like and such.

I've mentioned this before, but my Jaguar fandom started at the age of 5. My dad had a collection of diecast cars, all sorts. And I use to play with this yellow Jaguar all the time. I didn't know that it was an E-Type. I didn't know it was a series-3. I just knew it was a beautiful Jag.

Now because my first 7 years were spent living in Russia (actually the USSR - Uzbekistan) it was extremely difficult to have 1st world goods in a barely 2nd/3rd world country. Last night, I just decided to see if I could find one of these. And after a quick eBay search, turns out a British company made these diecasts. There weren't plenty of results, but I found a yellow one exactly like mine, bid on it, and won!

It feels funny winning back a piece of my childhood. This is the toy:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

:')

I found a used 2016 Audi A6 TDI that is being sold... anyone have exp driving the diesel version? I hear with a 500 buck ECU upgrade it'll do 0-60 in less than 5 seconds.

16 is a good year for all the hardware and electric shit that filed in the 2012 and 2013s.

I used to have a 2012 petrol 3.0T - and it spent a decent amount of time at the service bays. I left that to my dad when I bought a Jag and moved, and since then he's gotten a 2016 and apparently hasn't had any issues since.

Blitzhex

3BQpfLU.jpg

vrQPAHb.jpg

The exhaust is seriously awesome. It sounds amazing at every rpm, and has a nice burble too at lower rpms. Basically a muted audi/lambo v10. My friends m2 sounds like an aggresive vaccum cleaner next to my rs3 sedan. They toned down the downshift pops and bangs on this one tho, compared to tbe pre facelift rs3.

The black optic package in your pics makes the intakes look bigger than they are, which is kinda cool. Ive got the alu-optic package which is matte silver.

matmanx1

What? That's very dumb but maybe they are covered up with kids who just want a joyride. Hopefully that's just a regional thing as one day I would like to test drive one.

Bandit1

Okay here is the low-down on the new-to-me 2006 AP2 S2000!

Key Highlights:
- 2006 AP2 Silver Stone (was hoping for GPW but could not find one with low miles)
- 39k clean miles (low mileage is a must)
- bone stock (must for me)
- Bought for $22k (cali higher prices, but prices are holding and may even go up)
- Car is super clean besides paint chips (to be expected) and a small rip in the passenger seat (will replace seat covers anyways)
- Will do a complete tune up on the car as it is 11 years old (fluids, paint chips, plugs, brake pads and ss lines, etc) and have ordered oem front lip and new leather seat covers in red

19904920_10155358437653758_6953235646914127390_n.jpg

19905206_10155358437668758_1756941420264622502_n.jpg

Very clean looking S2000, congrats!

I just found my childhood toy on eBay. Never thought I'd be able to find this, especially because I was 5 and still was able to recall exactly what it looked like and such.

I've mentioned this before, but my Jaguar fandom started at the age of 5. My dad had a collection of diecast cars, all sorts. And I use to play with this yellow Jaguar all the time. I didn't know that it was an E-Type. I didn't know it was a series-3. I just knew it was a beautiful Jag.

Now because my first 7 years were spent living in Russia (actually the USSR - Uzbekistan) it was extremely difficult to have 1st world goods in a barely 2nd/3rd world country. Last night, I just decided to see if I could find one of these. And after a quick eBay search, turns out a British company made these diecasts. There weren't plenty of results, but I found a yellow one exactly like mine, bid on it, and won!

It feels funny winning back a piece of my childhood. This is the toy:
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

:')

Nice find and cool story Alpha!

I still have my favorite, well worn:
35560741710_e0eb937583_c.jpg

Dishwalla

Banned
Auto-GAF I love y'all.

BTW the former Hot Wheels collector in me commends that post above me that posts a 1997 car. Think I may still have that car in it's package. Hot Bird was it's name.

Anion

Oh man, I have to show pics of my father's model car collection. He has it valued at $30k haha. It includes model kit cars to various smaller die cast models.

Speaking of childhood car stories, when I was a kid I was apparently obsessed with blue Porsches. There are videos of me playing with my die cast blue Porsche. To this day, my aunts and uncles bring that the story and ask when I will get a blue Porsche lol. Someday.

v1lla21

My favorite toy car as a kid was a little die-cast Camaro I had gotten at the flea market. I carried that sucker, along with a ninja turtle, with me everywhere. When I was 5 my pops bought a 94 Camaro z28 and would take me for spins and would let me sit on his lap and mess with the steering wheel. He ended up crashing it and the original owner bought it back from him.

I unfortunately don't have that little Camaro anymore. I gave my collection away when I was about 14 to my younger cousin because I thought toys were for little kids... :(

AlphaSnake

I built a 1/32 yellow C5 Corvette, which was fun. Was a very nice build. Too bad the damn mirrors didn't glue on, neither did the steering wheel. They always popped off. So annoying. LOL

I later did a green 4th gen Camaro (facelifted model). Same thing with its steering wheel - always kept falling off. Hahaha.

Evo X

Speaking of childhood car stories, when I was a kid I was apparently obsessed with blue Porsches. There are videos of me playing with my die cast blue Porsche. To this day, my aunts and uncles bring that the story and ask when I will get a blue Porsche lol. Someday.

Miami blue or Sapphire?

Oh, and you better buy it from me. :D

J-Rzez

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1404753&page=1

Didn't realize Gaf was 90% old people. Apparently removing mufflers makes you worse than a fucking nazi. People are so ignorant, removing mufflers doesn't make the glass shatter if you're driving normally.

I've been busy, haven't posted much, how oh how did I miss this thread? Lol. Post my quiet exhaust in there for people to enjoy.

That S2000 is killer clean, good luck with it!

Been busy, but got some wheels for my car and pilot 4S rubber for it. And a BOV... Lol. Will post pics/vids when I can.

rokkerkory

I've been busy, haven't posted much, how oh how did I miss this thread? Lol. Post my quiet exhaust in there for people to enjoy.

That S2000 is killer clean, good luck with it!

Been busy, but got some wheels for my car and pilot 4S rubber for it. And a BOV... Lol. Will post pics/vids when I can.

Awesome!! I just put on 4s tires on the m3 too. They seem good so far!

J-Rzez

Awesome!! I just put on 4s tires on the m3 too. They seem good so far!

What were you running before? How did they compare? From reviews and peoples opinions they claim its an upgrade from the pilot super sports I had. Can wait to get to try them out after a short run in.

SliChillax

Alpha, since you know some shit about Jags, can you explain why my dads F-Type has a higher ground clearance than usual? Its like 15cm and it should be around 12 instead. My dad said he checked it at the dealer if there were shipping blocks on the suspension but they didn't see anything.

Pray for me Auto-GAF!

I washed my Miata today after 2 months of not washing it and I just find out on Twitter that there's a 20-30% of rain tomorrow. :(

Engine detailing and also first mod (new red leather seat covers from clazzio)

20108288_10155379315393758_7624673984148592161_n.jpg

I've always wanted red seats in my Miata but I thought it'd be tacky as hell... but for some reason it looks perfectly fine in a number of S2K's I've seen.

They actually offered red seats to the 3rd Gen LE's but the previous owner of my car either didn't want it or gut unlucky and got all black seats instead.

AlphaSnake

Alpha, since you know some shit about Jags, can you explain why my dads F-Type has a higher ground clearance than usual? Its like 15cm and it should be around 12 instead. My dad said he checked it at the dealer if there were shipping blocks on the suspension but they didn't see anything.

Post pics of it on a leveled surface. You also gotta measure it at its lowest point. Not just the front bumper, which would be under the bumper where the plastic scrapers are. That's the official clearance of a vehicle: the lowest points.

rokkerkory

What were you running before? How did they compare? From reviews and peoples opinions they claim its an upgrade from the pilot super sports I had. Can wait to get to try them out after a short run in.

hahaha I also had PSS :)

So far them seem quieter yet firmer if that makes sense. Wonder if side walls are stiffer.

Working on a video at work about paint protection and the guy is working on a M4 GTS...

Those orange rims are so fucking gaudy but I love it lol. It's like the best thing BMW has done in recent years imo.

Too much power for you. :D

Har har har :p

What was funny was that we convoyed down to the cars and coffee, and while we were driving pretty quickly a beige Honda CR-V got caught in the middle and kept up the whole time. Hard to find places to really use 600hp.

My fiance had an idea that it was just some soccer mom late to her son's practice, almost asking us to pick up the pace.

AlphaSnake

Har har har :p

What was funny was that we convoyed down to the cars and coffee, and while we were driving pretty quickly a beige Honda CR-V got caught in the middle and kept up the whole time. Hard to find places to really use 600hp.

My fiance had an idea that it was just some soccer mom late to her son's practice, almost asking us to pick up the pace.

Sure, but there's a huuuuuge difference between keeping up and feeling a wallop of power when you mash the throttle. It's not top-speed I lust for. It's the urgency and the rapid increase in pace. Even if it's just going from 60-100MPH. I love it when a car just leaves you breathless because it's picking up speed faster than you can gather your breath.

Best feeling.

Anion

So I was bored and spent 2 hours painting my tire lettering with an oil based paint marker. Still need to go over it one more time and then clean it up.

Second mod done yesterday boys! OEM AP2 front lip! Looks amazing and fits of course amazing too. Simple to put on.
That looks stunning - congrats man!

Miami blue or Sapphire?

Oh, and you better buy it from me. :D

Haha, when the time comes...I will totally buy it from you. Though my hot wheels 959 and 80's 911 were more like a Sapphire blue, I think I would go for a Miami blue for the real deal.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Had my sedan fitted with a tow hitch receiver despite howls of protest from an Audi forum. They really did freak out at the very idea of it.

But we do a lot of road trips and love talking our bikes. And I got this car because it's hella comfortable for long road trips.

"Don't do it you'll ruin the lines! You'll kill the resale value!"

Here is my ruined outdoorsy vehicle which I can now take three bikes on.

tIHcscd.jpg

Had my sedan fitted with a tow hitch receiver despite howls of protest from an Audi forum. They really did freak out at the very idea of it.

But we do a lot of road trips and love talking our bikes. And I got this car because it's hella comfortable for long road trips.

tIHcscd.jpg

kill the resale value? lol. I'm pretty sure every tow hitch is removable. Plus, in my experience with other makes, if its an OEM hitch, you can sell them easily.

[IG]http://i.imgur.com/tIHcscd.jpg[/IMG]

Please put some truck nuts on there and post the photo on that forum.

Am I crazy for entertaining the thought of going from a Miata to FZBRS86?

Seeing some low mileage(<40k) examples, some are even CPO, for less than $20K and it seems like a ridiculous bargain at that price.

The only drawback is that it's not any faster than my Miata plus the Prius tires, on the other hand it does have what I'm looking for, RWD, usable storage space, and backseats for when it's super necessary.

Tbh I've sorta talked myself out of this already, but maybe some BZ8F6RS owners can chime in and talk me in instead lol.

Xdye7

Seeing some low mileage(<40k) examples, some are even CPO, for less than $20K and it seems like a ridiculous bargain at that price.

The only drawback is that it's not any faster than my Miata plus the Prius tires, on the other hand it does have what I'm looking for, RWD, usable storage space, and backseats for when it's super necessary.

Tbh I've sorta talked myself out of this already, but maybe some BZ8F6RS owners can chime in and talk me in instead lol.

For some reason these have really been catching my eye lately. Seem like a great platform to mod. Same goes for the Nissan Z cars.

Idk why I was so indifferent to them when they were newer. Maybe now that they've dropped in price and the aftermarket/tuning knowledge has expanded.

Also interested what owners here have to say

Pinewood

tIHcscd.jpg

wow ruined piece of german junk

Do it! It is a great daily driver. Great for long distance drives too. tbh, I don't know how you are managing with the Miata as your only car (if it is). Space is also definitely a consideration for my next car. The cars I am looking at are definitely a downgrade on the storage front.

Which MYs are costing $20k? I am surprised they are that high.

Edit: My 2013 limited is showing a $17k trade in value!? Maybe I should sell sooner rather than later. 9k depreciation over 4 years is not that bad.

Top Bottom