• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansoku

Any season that has -Monogatari on it is a great season. Plus Noragami 2, One Punch Man, Subete ga F, so yeah, great season.

Concrete Revolution, Comet Lucifer and that show about bones might be nice as well, we'll see.

Jarmel

Banned
By the way, I already called the One punch man OT in advance because people will probably ask about it. I even have it all done, just waiting for it to air.

I don't have a name yet though! Thinking

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an Average Guy who serves as an Average Hero
One Punch Man TV |OT| 100 PUSH UPS 100 SIT UPS 100 SQUATS AND 10KM RUNNING. EVERY DAY.

Just an average show serving as the savior of anime

Sölf;180207188 said:
Well, we had Gurren Lagann. And... Aldnoah S1, I guess.

We're supposed to be talking about "good shows", not awful garbage.

But there was Eureka Seven (like a decade ago) and Gargantia. That's about it.

You say this as if "original mecha show" is a reason to expect something to be good.

I'm saying it has potential. It could be good, and the staff could be way worse.

All I want is for it to be at least half-decent.

EVERYONE FORGETS CROSS ANGE.

As they should!

We're supposed to be talking about "good shows", not awful garbage.

But there was Eureka Seven (like a decade ago) and Gargantia. That's about it.

Gurren Lagann was the show that got me into super robots in the first place!

More mecha shows like that please! :p

Ascheroth

By the way, I already called the One punch man OT in advance because people will probably ask about it. I even have it all done, just waiting for it to air.

One Punch Man TV |OT| 100 PUSH UPS 100 SIT UPS 100 SQUATS AND 10KM RUNNING. EVERY DAY.

One Punch Man TV |OT| The King Engine is roaring!

One Punch Man TV |OT| An anime about a Caped Baldy

I will be disappointed if it doesnt feature ONE art.

Since people are posting their lists of stuff they're checking out, I guess I'll post mine again. Also because it'll be more helpful to people who don't know what's coming out than the OP.

Most interesting shows:

Haikyuu S2 - The second season of the well-produced and engaging volleyball series. It's a conventional sports story, but the strong focus on a team dynamic, which lets each character have a unique place in the ensemble and brings clashing personalities together into effective teamwork, makes it stand out.

Lupin III: Italian Series - It's notable whenever this storied franchise gets a new entry that has more effort put into it than the usual yearly TV specials, and the return to the light-hearted adventure atmosphere that Lupin is traditionally known for should make this more successful than the experimentation gone awry that was the Fujiko Mine TV series. The production looks pleasing, with colorful, vibrant art, and we know an Osamu Kobayashi solo episode is part of the series, which is always an event. Hopefully this can capture the spirit of what made Lupin at its height (Caligostro) so appealing.

Noragami Aragato (S2) - The first season was a big surprise to me, treating this shounen action story with an uncommon amount of thoughtfulness in its visual and aural direction and moments of atmosphere that approached the heights of shows such as Flowers of Evil and Hyouka. I'm especially looking forward to the new season because it will be adapting the Bishamon arc, which is considered by manga readers to be a strong highlight and will be focusing on an interesting character who went underutilized in the first season. Plus more Taku Iwasaki goodness.

Osomatsu-san - This is the show I'm most looking forward to from the fall season. It's a new spin on an old comedy manga from the 1960s, with a strong staff including Youichi Fujita, who proved his comedic directing skills on Gintama, Naoyuki Asano, one of the strongest active character designers with a distinctive voice, and Seiji Tamura, who contributes strikingly beautiful backgrounds to the productions he provides art direction for (including the K-ON series, the Fujiko Mine TV series, and Rolling Girls earlier this year). The visual style looks unique and arresting, and there's a lot of potential boiling here.

Other possibilities:

Concrete Revolutio - The visuals are really colorful and polished, if a bit garish, and the melting pot of superheroes premise has potential. The Seiji Mizushima/Shou Aikawa combination is iffy though - their work on the original Full Metal Alchemist series was excellent but their more recent outings have been less successful.

Fushigi na Somera-chan - I haven't watched Ai Mai Mi, but it is fairly well-regarded so this new series from the same manga author and anime creator is worthy of note. Itsuki Imazaki has brought a level of visual flair which rises above the crowd in all the short anime he's worked on recently.

Garo: Guren no Tsuki - The first Garo anime season was inconsistent, but had some striking highlights. The Heian period setting and female protagonist are noteworthy aspects of this new season.

Kagewani - I haven't seen Yami Shibai, but that horror short series has good impressions so this new "monster suspense" series from the same creator is worth consideration.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - Gundam is a franchise littered with mediocrity and Mari Okada's brand of melodrama is problematic at the best of times, but Nagai is a skilled director so... you never know? At least it won't be senile Tomino?

One Punch Man - The manga has such incredible art thanks to Murata that it'll be practically impossible for the anime to live up to it, but Shingo Natsume and a team of high-class animators working on the adaptation make it about as promising as it could be. Hopefully the show will be able to capture some of what makes the manga so beloved.

Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru - This adaptation of the light novel "A Corpse is Buried Under Sakurako's Feet" catches my eye mostly due to its premise - a high school student teams up with a beautiful woman in her twenties to investigate various incidents surrounding bones. It could prove to be a more grounded and substantial story than is typical for light novels.

Shin Atashin'chi - Not much is known about this new incarnation of the well-known family comedy, but if experienced comedy director Akitaro Daichi returns to the series it could be successful.

Subete ga F ni Naru - This adaptation of a serial murder mystery novel by the author of Sky Crawlers, featuring character designs by respected manga artist Inio Asano (Solanin, Punpun) has some potential.

Young Black Jack - A spinoff of Osamu Tezuka's classic series about the titular unlicensed genius doctor. There's no way this will live up to the classic OVA treatment of Black Jack by Dezaki but it could prove entertaining in its own right.

The only thing I'd add is that I'm also interested in Brave Beats, because it's the successor to Tribe Cool Crew, which is cool.

Even as someone who has liked only one thing Imaishi has directed, this claim leaves me speechless.

I mean, I wouldn't claim that most of what Tomino has done in his career is "good", but it's usually at least enjoyable in its own special brand of insanity (and I would argue that Be Invoked is a legitimately great movie, and that Aura Battler Dunbine is his most consistently executed TV show). I mean, the dude's works are all flawed as hell, his storyboarding is atrocious and his directing is worse, but damn if I don't enjoy the hell out of a lot of them.

But I hate Imaishi's works more than just about anything else, and I think that Gurren Lagann was pretty much the moment when it became obvious that Gainax had ceased to have even an ounce of quality left as a studio. He pretty much does nothing but over the top nonsense, toilet humor, and obnoxious characters, and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

But I've long accepted that I'm just completely out of sync with the rest of fandom when it comes to his stuff.

Watching
Heavy Object
One-Punch Man
Ore ga Ojou-Sama
Owarimongatari
Yuru Yuri 3

Might Watch
Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen
Taimadou Gakuen 35 Shiken Shouta
Subete ga F ni Naru: The Perfect Insider
Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru
Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk
Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou
Comet Lucifer

Jarmel

Banned
I think that Gurren Lagann was pretty much the moment when it became obvious that Gainax had ceased to have even an ounce of quality left as a studio. He pretty much does nothing but over the top nonsense, toilet humor, and obnoxious characters, and that doesn't appeal to me at all.

But that's always been Gainax.

But that's always been Gainax.

I don't remember those parts of Evangelion or His and Her Circumstances or FLCL or the various other classic Gainax works.

Certainly not on the level of Imaishi's just making everything balls to the walls for the entire series with zero subtlety or character growth at any point.

GANGSTA 12 END
My Reaction

Ehhhhh? Season Two? Because nothing major happened. NOTHING. AT. ALL. Who are these people? WHO?

Nothing was explained and I felt more and more confused at the last few episodes. I thought this show was going to be about Deaf Dude and Patch dude do guns for hire shit. Did the budget run out? or did the people who made this simply did not care? Or is this another Tokyo Ghoul Root A situation where the Director Fucked up everything.

I'll read the Manga instead. I should've Watched MY Love Story instead.

trejo

Nice OP BGBW!

And I gotta say not seeing Cajunator dominating the Wall of Shame by a wide margin is giving me such weird feels. :(

Jarmel

Banned
I don't remember those parts of Evangelion or His and Her Circumstances or FLCL or the various other classic Gainax works.

Certainly not on the level of Imaishi's just making everything balls to the walls for the entire series with zero subtlety or character growth at any point.

Obnoxious characters? You don't remember any in Evangelion? How about all of Misato's fanservice? Let's not forget those bath scenes in Gunbuster.

Also what at FLCL. The entire show is over the top and sex jokes.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/eede5cc54e6fded83ef13214d2495603.webm

If anything Imaishi was following in Tsurumaki's wake.

Sölf

WHat the fuck? FLCL not over the top? Are you kidding me? And I am saying that as someone who found it to be boring beyond anything. But if anything, FLCL was madness.

Mailbox

ok, there is no way you're talking about TTGL now.

TTGL is completely balls to the walls craziness, yeah, but its all a character study on simon.
The entire show is by definition full of character growth and subtly (amidst the crazy)

Monogatari Second Season 04

I'm getting an ominous vibe about where this is going after the last scene, plz no

Araragi's mother tilts her head in a way similar to another character, do I sense an Oedipus complex to match the Electra complex

Jarmel

Banned
Gainax has always been about doing over the top shit. Wings of Honneamise was about that. Gunbuster and Diebuster are the definition of that. Hell, Evangelion is the criticism of that element. Row row fight the power (and the taxman) has always been a vital part of the company.

Cornbread78

Actually, I Am ep.13
Good episode to end the season with. See Gangsta, that is how you end a season that has an ongoing manga attached to it. I mean, it sucks we didn't get to see the relationship cone to fruition, but the development was great, the series was fun and they picked a great spot to end it so it felt natural. Definately enjoyed this series for all the fun it was.

This is really weird to me because I feel like TTGL was all about character growth.

The whole thing was Simon's story. Yes, it's the usual "Boy becomes man" tale, but just because something's been done before doesn't mean it can't be done again in another good way.

Gurren Lagann's entire presentation of music and visuals were so good it made me feel like I was watching that kind of tale for the first time.

To this day I haven't seen a show that I liked better than TTGL. Yeah you could argue that there are certainly better shows than TTGL (Gunbuster, G Gundam, etc.), but Gurren Lagann had just the right amount of character growth, action, craziness, and fun for me to call it my favourite anime of all time.

Obnoxious characters? You don't remember any in Evangelion? How about all of Misato's fanservice? Let's not forget those bath scenes in Gunbuster.

Also what at FLCL. The entire show is over the top and sex jokes.

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/eede5cc54e6fded83ef13214d2495603.webm

If anything Imaishi was following in Tsurumaki's wake.

Evangelion had fanservice, sure, but it was also in service of a wider critique the show was making. And no, I don't remember a single obnoxious character in Evangelion. Every member of the main cast were well-developed and had strong arcs. They may have been annoying at times as people, but none of them felt like obnoxious characters acting out shtick. They were believable as human beings who underwent growth.

Yes, FLCL was over the top, and it had sex jokes. But they were generally pretty well thought out jokes, rather the sort of puerile toilet humor Imaishi's works have. Beyond that, FLCL was, at its heart, a coming of age story. It has a lot of nonsense, but it's all there to be used as symbolism for the larger story and showing Naota's transition through adolescence. It's not just filled with stuff that's just in there to look cool and throw everything at the wall like something like Gurren Lagann or Panty and Stocking does.

If Imaishi was following along from Tsurumaki, he was doing a bad job of it. FLCL is filled with quality memorable characters, not just in the main cast, but even from the periphery characters. Imaishi has never created a character who possesses even a single dimension.

And FLCL is a well directed show with tons of immensely memorable moments that I can instantly recall even having not watched the OVA in more than six years. It's a work that transcends the typical level of anime by understanding that form itself is function, and utilizing a number of form breaking techniques to tell a story in a unique and memorable way. TTGL, on the other hand, is a fairly blandly conveyed story that doesn't actually do anything particularly unique as far as anime is concerned. When you compare it to stuff like FLCL or His and Her Circumstances which were truly groundbreaking material when they came out (and honestly, they still are today. There are episodes of His and Her Circumstances that have never been equaled by any TV anime), it's obvious that the former comes up very short.

Mailbox

Gainax has always been about doing over the top shit. Wings of Honneamise was about that. Gunbuster and Diebuster are the definition of that. Hell, Evangelion is the criticism of that element. Row row fight the power (and the taxman) has always been a vital part of the company.

then you have stuff like PS&G which was literally made while they were drunk, and Medaka box still being crazy.

I think that with the exception of Hanamaru Kindergarten, there isn't anything that they didn't make that wasn't nuts in some way.

I'm pretty sure FLCL and Evangelion had these elements just presented in different ways. If you want to complain about GL's scale getting almost too over the top I can give you that, but saying the characters in GL lacked subtlety or growth while saying Eva's and FLCL's were somehow better I can't agree with at all.

Evangelion had fanservice, sure, but it was also in service of a wider critique the show was making. And no, I don't remember a single obnoxious character in Evangelion. Every member of the main cast were well-developed and had strong arcs. They may have been annoying at times as people, but none of them felt like obnoxious characters acting out shtick. They were believable as human beings who underwent growth.

Yes, FLCL was over the top, and it had sex jokes. But they were generally pretty well thought out jokes, rather the sort of puerile toilet humor Imaishi's works have. Beyond that, FLCL was, at its heart, a coming of age story. It has a lot of nonsense, but it's all there to be used as symbolism for the larger story and showing Naota's transition through adolescence. It's not just filled with stuff that's just in there to look cool and throw everything at the wall like something like Gurren Lagann or Panty and Stocking does.

If Imaishi was following along from Tsurumaki, he was doing a bad job of it. FLCL is filled with quality memorable characters, not just in the main cast, but even from the periphery characters. Imaishi has never created a character who possesses even a single dimension.

And FLCL is a well directed show with tons of immensely memorable moments that I can instantly recall even having not watched the OVA in more than six years. It's a work that transcends the typical level of anime by understanding that form itself is function, and utilizing a number of form breaking techniques to tell a story in a unique and memorable way. TTGL, on the other hand, is a fairly blandly conveyed story that doesn't actually do anything particularly unique as far as anime is concerned. When you compare it to stuff like FLCL or His and Her Circumstances which were truly groundbreaking material when they came out (and honestly, they still are today. There are episodes of His and Her Circumstances that have never been equaled by any TV anime), it's obvious that the former comes up very short.

I think you're reaching here, it's okay if you just don't like GL and can't really explain why that's okay. IMO I'd say the cast of Gurren Lagann has more memorable characters then either Eva or FLCL and I've seen GL only once to completion where I've seen Eva and FLCL multiple times. All 3 are 5/5 shows and classics that everyone should watch for different reasons.

Mailbox

Is Gainax still alive? Or was that Subaru show their last gasp?

they have a movie happening in 2018.

Just as 2 little
big
1. His and her circumstances isn't the groundbreaking amazingness you think it was. It was a rush-edited animation mess whose plot didn't end. I know this is because Japan was in a huge recession, but still, come on.
I have watched it, and i did enjoy it, but seriously....

2. TTGL literally starts as an adaptation of Pluto's alagory of the cave, followed by a very extensive character study. Every character and plotpoint is used as a metaphor or character quality that is exemplified in simon. If you didn't bother to actually dig deep into TTGL, then i guess I can't really help you....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom