• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That op....
ksj0U.gif
Never knew we had a mascot though.

TimmiT

So has Lupin III been picked up by Crunchyroll or Funimation yet? Aside from that, really excited for One-Punch Man and looking forward to more Gintama and Noragami at least. Hopefully that other new Bones anime is any good. I'm not sure yet what else I'll pick up.

javac

21/09/2015 – 27/09/2015 BD Sales:

Code:
[B]Title 							Week Sales 	Total Sales[/B]
Charlotte v1						6,287 		6,287 
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso v8				5,595 		5,595
THE IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls v5			4,321 		4,321
Overlord v1						4,043 		4,043
Kuroko no Basuke 3rd Season v6				3,427 		3,427
Fate/Kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei Herz! v2		2,984 		2,984
Hello!! Kin-iro Mosaic v4				2,802 		2,802
Kidou Senshi V Gundam BD Box v2				2,392 		2,392
To Love-Ru Darkness 2nd v1				2,278 		2,278
Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2 5.1ch BD Box 		2,239 		2,239
Saint Seiya -soul of gold- v3				2,207 		2,207
Nagato Yuki-chan no Shoushitsu v4			1,482 		1,482
Nanatsu no Taizai v9					1,465 		1,465
Gakkou Gurashi! v1					1,308 		1,308
Gangsta. v1						1,078 		1,078
Kekkai Sensen v4					1,074 		9,825
Arslan Senki v3						1,057 		1,057
Non Non Biyori Repeat v1				967 		4,972
Koufuku Graffiti v6					915 		915

21/09/2015 – 27/09/2015 DVD Sales:
Code:
[B]Title 							Week Sales 	Total Sales[/B]
ONE PIECE Log Collection 'Shirahoshi'			6,772		6,772 
Youkai Watch BD Box v3					4,787		4,787
Kuroko no Basuke 3rd Season v6				3,250		3,250
Nanatsu no Taizai v9					1,165		1,165
Charlotte v1						1,119		1,119
Youkai Watch: Tanjou no Himitsu da Nyan!		1,029		128,201
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso v8				936		936
Junjou Romantica 3 v1					784		784
Gangsta. v1						779		779
Haikyuu!! Movie: Owari to Hajimari			683		3,990
Overlord v1						681		681
Ansatsu Kyoushitsu v7					661		661
Arslan Senki v3						624		624
Kekkai Sensen v4					623		3,809
Saint Seiya -soul of gold- v3				568		568
To Love-Ru Darkness 2nd v1				536		536
Owari no Seraph v4					523		523
Diamond no Ace Inajitsusen v1				517		3,994
THE IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls v5			450 		450
Tonari no Totoro (2014 re-release)			367 		43,123 
Gakkou Gurashi! v1					345 		345

http://www.someanithing.com/3852

See Japan liked the horrible pacing and presentation of Charlotte. Man, if only they made this 24 episodes, it could have been a classic..
I'll be honest with you, and I liked Charlotte for what it was so don't take shots at me, but these sales don't really mean that people liked the show persay as much as it says that people will still buy Jun Maeda's stuff regardless of it being great or not.

I'll be honest with you, and I liked Charlotte for what it was so don't take shots at me, but these sales don't really mean that people liked the show persay as much as it says that people will still buy Jun Maeda's stuff regardless of it being great or not.

I doubt people would spent money on something they didn't like just because a particular director is involved.

I doubt people would spent money on something they didn't like just because a particular director is involved.
The show wasn't bad anyway. The problem we all agree upon is the break neck pacing throughout the entire thing.

Also I wouldn't put it past the Japanese fandom to buy something for their collection because of a director. Either that or for Nao. The latter would have been a legitimate reason, mhm.

Charlotte is the worst selling show based on material originally written by Jun Maeda.

Average Sales for Maeda-Written Shows:

Angel Beats: 34,107
Clannad: 24,943
Air: 24,327
Clannad After Story: 19,992
Little Busters: 10,744
Little Busters Refrain: 9,563
Charlotte: 7,406 (based on volume 1 sales only; overall figure will likely be lower when later volumes taken into account)

Cornbread78

Charlotte is the worst selling show based on material originally written by Jun Maeda.

Average Sales for Maeda-Written Shows:

Angel Beats: 34,107
Clannad: 24,943
Air: 24,327
Clannad After Story: 19,992
Little Busters: 10,744
Little Busters Refrain: 9,563
Charlotte: 7,406 (based on volume 1 sales only; overall figure will likely be lower when later volumes taken into account)

Are those lifetime number of initial release numbers?

phaze

Soul of Gold sold more than any other show I watched this past season. Get rekt Soma, Shimoneta, Rokka. Japan has good taste confirmed.

Amazing OP and finally a good title for once, too!

I feel like the only one who didn't like Gargantia. I dunno why I finished it.

Don't worry, I think it's garbage. While there were some good attempts at story and themes, even if they didn't fall flat by themselves, how could I possibly take any of that serious in such a fanservice laden show. People always reply that the character designer or so was a H artist which is great and all, just doesn't make the issue any better.

This is one of the shows' whose appreciation here on GAF genuinely puzzles me.

Don't worry, I think it's garbage. While there were some good attempts story and theme wise, even if they didn't fall flat by themselves, how could I possibly take any of that serious in such a fanservice laden show. People always reply that the character designer or so was a H artist which is great and all, just doesn't make the issue any better.

This is one of the shows' whose appreciation here on GAF genuinely puzzles me.

Ugh, I can't stand it when a show is written off just because it's got some fanservice bits here and there.

The Ledo/Chamber team was awesome back then. Yeah the show wasn't perfect, but it was harmless enough.

I really enjoyed the "fish-out-of-water" story they had going on with Ledo adapting to normal human life.

I also liked how creative they were with the setting. They could have very easily just made it another modern-day high school location. Instead they created this interesting alternate future where people all have to live on giant boats. The way society was shown to have operated was really fun to watch.

Yeah there was fanservice, but there's so little of it compared to the average harem or ecchi show.

Gargantia may not have been the best show of 2013, but it's certainly better than half the shows that aired so far this year.

Ugh, I can't stand it when a show is written off just because it's got some fanservice bits here and there.

The Ledo/Chamber team was awesome back then. Yeah the show wasn't perfect, but it was harmless enough.

I really enjoyed the "fish-out-of-water" story they had going on with Ledo adapting to normal human life.

I also liked how creative they were with the setting. They could have very easily just made it another modern-day high school location. Instead they created this interesting alternate future where people all have to live on giant boats. The way society was shown to have operated was really fun to watch.

Yeah there was fanservice, but there's so little of it compared to the average harem or ecchi show.

Gargantia may not have been the best show of 2013, but it's certainly better than half the shows that aired so far this year.

It got absolutely massive amounts of fanservice with just about every major female character shoving their humongous melon tits constantly in the camera. You got belly dancing 13-16 year olds or so, with a nice crowd of older, lecherous onlookers. Of course, the 'beach' episode isn't missing in this kind of show either! Defending this as having less fanservice than ecchi shows doesn't speak for it if you have to go that far.

Oh and now let's dive into this
totally dark backstory about the humans' divide and escape of planet earth and whatnot
- oh wait? You can't take it serious when we shove another pair of giant tits in your face afterwards? Strange, dude!

Ledo and Chamber started out alright and I really did like the premise. I loved it when Chamber just disintegrated the enemies and how upsetting that was to everyone. But after the first few episodes it just doesn't go anywhere interesting. I've heard plenty praise for the last few battles because
"Chamber was such a brow, which is unique for an AI!"
but I can easily file that among the cases of "somewhat unique in anime/fiction - but not inherently good just because of that". I'm rather tired of AI representation in anime and fiction in general though as it's way too simplified.

There was also plenty shitty looking CGI with Chamber, even if it was above average quality in regards to anime, it still stood out as ugly often. Production quality in general was good though, at least.

I don't care about mech shows. I can't say I'm a big fan of pandering or needless fan service. I liked Gargantia a lot though. Looking back I don't remember it being as bad as you describe, but it has been a while.

Phatmac

Gargantia's world is interesting but I never found any of the characters to be worth caring for. It had a nice look though.

Crocodile

Not all "fanservice" is created equal (there is variance in the subject of fanservice, how its used contextually within a show, etc.) but as long as the core of the show is solid (good characters, narrative, action/comedy, production values, etc.) I'm usually not going to shit on an anime even if it has a lot of fanservice (I may comment and criticize it but I wouldn't dismiss the show). Some of the transphobic (right word?) humour in Gargantia bothered me way more than any of the fanservice.

Gargantia was pretty good.

But it did have that one really terrible "comedic" scene concerning transgender men and the main character...

Russ T

Banned
Some of the transphobic (right word?) humour in Gargantia bothered me way more than any of the fanservice.

That is the right word. I think I watched Gargantia when I was less cognizant of this stuff. I don't remember anything like this, though. Was it the typical anime cross-dressing scene? EDIT: Okay yeah I definitely don't remember this, based on Hellwarden's comment.

I remember Gargantia fairly fondly. It had fanservice, but so does most anime, so I just kind of... acknowledge that that's shitty while also enjoying the rest of it. I dunno, I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying something while also criticizing it.

Literally every piece of fiction is going to have something someone doesn't like or finds offensive. Shrug.

I actually thought the fanservice in Gargantia was generally fine.

Their outfits made sense in the tropical world they lived in. The girls were never shamed.

The scene where
Ledo asked Amy to dance for him was basically a way of showing he was rediscovering his sexuality after living in a cold oppressive society.

The metaphor of the bridge expanding like his dick was a bit much tho.

blurr

I didn't realize fan service was a major issue with Gargantia until lots of people pointed it out, I was honestly fine with it. Nothing excessive.

I liked Gargantia. Probably one of the better Mech shows we've gotten in years. Interesting world and had some decent characters. That said, the episodes with the most fanservice and transphobic humor (episodes 5 and 6 I think) were easily the weakest parts of the show.

blurr

I liked Gargantia. Probably one of the better Mech shows we've gotten in years. Interesting world and had some decent characters. That said, the episodes with the most fanservice and transphobic humor (episodes 5 and 6 I think) were easily the weakest parts of the show.

Yea, I was intrigued by the universe and its setting the most. I wish it would delve more into it but I liked where it went and concluded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom