• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

blurr

Girls' Last Tour 01

This turned out to be something I had expected and then some. Pretty neat approach to the post apocalyptic setup with a good sense of atmosphere.

Chito and Yuuri are kind of an obvious albeit good pair given away by what they dream when they slept in the beginning but Chito isn't very stern, just more grounded.

I got a bit wary about the "why do people go to war" discussion but it turned out fine, nothing profound and it doesn't really try to do that either.

Just post on /a/ /s

All and all I don't really find any of the particular places I have posted about anime that much better than one another. Each one has their pluses and minuses.

Virgin Soul was probably the best anime last season and an improvement on the original. It didn't just repeat the same thing, but decided to be its own thing and excelling at it.
Uhm, apart from anime adaptation (magus bride) and a sequel (Kekaha senses) I fear that this season won't be so hot for me.. I hope I'll at least manage to stay interested in 4-5 series... hopefully..

daveo42

Banned
Moderation goes a long way in making a thread not be a shitty place to post. Also the ability to easily follow a thread's plot instead of it getting lost in up/down votes cause someone said something about your waifu/husbando.

Needs more best guy/girl/ship/dog whatever polls

Technically we need a ton of individual threads with single images from different anime whenever a new episode of anything appears.

so I started to watch Bakemonogatari (?) after recommandation.

I... wasnt prepare for the long ass panty shot, as the second shot of the show. I clearly missed some earlier season because they keep referecing the main guy as former vampire, lost his power, etc...

I like the simple visual and negative effects. I like the problem, like psychological mixed with yokai.

I don't like the blatant fan service and frankly sleezy stuff (main guy fighting and trying to touch boobs of the school girl... with a typical japanese flimsy excuse after that)

I like the characters... most of the time but I hate how the show is basically : shows NOTHING, tells ALL. They talk for two straight episode about back stories before going on fixing the problem... The pacing is very weird ! Show me, don't tell me.

phaze

Children of the Whales 01
031422bdk7s.jpg
031414l8jdl.jpg
The Shinsekai Yori of our times.

Well at least certain things about the setting certainly are reminiscent of it. The premise combines psychic powers, lost history and unknown world, sliced life expectancy and being basically condemned to spend the entirety of it on a vagabond rock, all of which already make for a mystery that I'm eager the see answers too but also an already understandable motivation for one of characters. Loving the art direction and the backgrounds so far. The slight problem with the latter is that the characters can stick out like a sore thumb from them. I guess the narrator could be bit lighter on his presence and the comedy so far is meh but those're not even quibbles at this point. Really enjoyed and pinning my hopes on this.

The Shinsekai Yori of our times.

Well at least certain things about the setting certainly are reminiscent of it. The premise combines psychic powers, lost history and unknown world, sliced life expectancy and being basically condemned to spend the entirety of it on a vagabond rock, all of which already make for a mystery that I'm eager the see answers too but also an already understandable motivation for one of characters. Loving the art direction and the backgrounds so far. The slight problem with the latter is that the characters can stick out like a sore thumb from them. I guess the narrator could be bit lighter on his presence and the comedy so far is meh but those're not even quibbles at this point. Really enjoyed and pinning my hopes on this.

Sounds like I'll have to check that one out.

Also, I saw you continued Nichijou.

BluWacky

Children of the Whales 1

I desperately don't want this show to get lost in the shuffle because it's been bought up for Netflix. With that said, I'm also not in a position to say that the first episode is entirely spectacular - it's not. It does have a lot going for it, though:

- It has an excellent sense of worldbuilding for a first episode. While many may find the lead character's endless expositionary narration irritating, it's well-written and interesting; the world of the Mud Whale and the surrounding sea of sand is intriguingly thought out, and there is plenty of showing to go with the telling.

- while there isn't much of an animation showcase going on here, the show is attractive to look at; the textured and slightly softened background art is both pleasing to the eye and conjures the world particularly effectively.

- the story itself is perhaps a fairly standard young adult adventure, but by Western rather than Eastern standards; none of the "ick" factor that characterises so many anime is present here at all, and even the few moments of anime-ism that creep in (one moment of embarrassment over a barely revealed shoulder and an almost SD argument) are minor and restrained.

I would characterise it as an interesting show, rather than a mindblowingly exciting one. I live for these kinds of restrained shoujo fantasies so it's right up my street; whether it will be for many others I don't know, but personally despite the inevitable delays I am thrilled Netflix has picked it up.

A Sister's All You Need. Episode 1

Ok that was weird / creepy AF, especially that intro part, and of course there's the girl whose thirsty for the MC despite knowing he's a god damn sis-con. I fell it's sort of trying to be self aware at how weird it is but that doesn't really change the fact that it's fucking weird.

Gintama. Porori-hen Episode 2

So glad Gintama is going back and doing the comedy arcs they skipped over. I really haven't been enjoying the last few Gintama seasons as much because it was to damn serious, which I really don't feel has ever been Gintama's strong suit (at least in comparison to it's comedic aspects).

Himouto! Umaru-chan R Episode 1

Yo Umaru's got some weird ass classmates going to her school lmao. Kind of hope we see more of them in the future. New OP isn't as good as the first seasons, but the new ED is great, super cute and catchy.

Children of the Whales 1

I desperately don't want this show to get lost in the shuffle because it's been bought up for Netflix. With that said, I'm also not in a position to say that the first episode is entirely spectacular - it's not. It does have a lot going for it, though:

- It has an excellent sense of worldbuilding for a first episode. While many may find the lead character's endless expositionary narration irritating, it's well-written and interesting; the world of the Mud Whale and the surrounding sea of sand is intriguingly thought out, and there is plenty of showing to go with the telling.

- while there isn't much of an animation showcase going on here, the show is attractive to look at; the textured and slightly softened background art is both pleasing to the eye and conjures the world particularly effectively.

- the story itself is perhaps a fairly standard young adult adventure, but by Western rather than Eastern standards; none of the "ick" factor that characterises so many anime is present here at all, and even the few moments of anime-ism that creep in (one moment of embarrassment over a barely revealed shoulder and an almost SD argument) are minor and restrained.

I would characterise it as an interesting show, rather than a mindblowingly exciting one. I live for these kinds of restrained shoujo fantasies so it's right up my street; whether it will be for many others I don't know, but personally despite the inevitable delays I am thrilled Netflix has picked it up.

Hopefully people remind others when it goes on netflix so that I can activate my free trial to watch this show.

Ascheroth

Oh wow, this is one super pretty show. I could look at this all day.
This wasn't really an exciting first episode, but a really fascinating one nonetheless.
It did an excellent world-building job and introduced quite a few mysteries. I agree that it feels a little like Shinsekai Yori. Let's see where this will go, really excited to learn and see more of this world.

phaze

so I started to watch Bakemonogatari (?) after recommandation.

I... wasnt prepare for the long ass panty shot, as the second shot of the show. I clearly missed some earlier season because they keep referecing the main guy as former vampire, lost his power, etc...

I like the simple visual and negative effects. I like the problem, like psychological mixed with yokai.

I don't like the blatant fan service and frankly sleezy stuff (main guy fighting and trying to touch boobs of the school girl... with a typical japanese flimsy excuse after that)

I like the characters... most of the time but I hate how the show is basically : shows NOTHING, tells ALL. They talk for two straight episode about back stories before going on fixing the problem... The pacing is very weird ! Show me, don't tell me.

You're watching it in proper order, at least as thought out by the author. There are two stories that happen before Bake, them being Kizumonogatari&Nemonogatari where they clear the stuff you mention as well some character relationships but they were purposely released after Bake. The series as a whole will be dialogue lines upon monologues upon high questionably "anime" content to rather understate it sooo ... the first you'll have to grow to like/accustom yourself too, the second ... you'll need to watch out for the sirens closing in I guess cause it get's way[/I] worse at times.

Sounds like I'll have to check that one out.

Also, I saw you continued Nichijou.

My backlog is kinda empty so might as well do a retry. ;p (It was that or Phantom World :eek:)

Aki-at

Virgin Soul was probably the best anime last season and an improvement on the original. It didn't just repeat the same thing, but decided to be its own thing and excelling at it.

Same, in the first 5 episodes I was yarning for a return of the season 1 cast and spirit of adventure, but by the end I was more than satisfied with the building work they put in the opening episodes. Didn't expect this to be one of my shows of the year but the team really pulled it off and delievered a sweet little romance story about a dragon girl and her boyfriend the king.

14 episodes in and I'm exceedingly tired of this jerk-ass king and the fact that the female lead won't let go of him despite being a murderer. I can't force myself to keep watching, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, I didn't feel much sympathy for the demon race despite how much the show was trying to make me considering what they did in the first season. But with how the show develops, I don't think you're meant to pick a side, humans are awful, demons are awful, angels are awful, it's just an ugly world with characters fighting for what they feel is right and trying to stay true or overcome their feelings. That's my thoughts on the matter anyway.

Sterok

UQ Holder 2

Where's Shinobu? I liked her. Damn 12 episode seasons. Time to introduce Setsuna Kuromaru, whose main joke already got old. I still kind of like him though, with a more grounded perspective compared to the always cheerful Tota and the godlike Yukihime. Now if only Tota could just stop acting like a dumb harem protagonist. Negi bucked that trend. Why can't he? While Eva already having set up an organization is smart, I kind of liked the road trip vibe they had going. Ah well. Let's see how far they get.

Qurupeke

Children of the Whales 1
A lot to like about this. The show looks surprisingly good, the backgrounds are very artistic and the colour palette is really pleasant. It's a very pretty show. As far as the plot is concerned, the episode was kind of fast paced but it seems that the prologue set up is pretty much done. Important characters were introduced, a lot of questions were asked and there's a sense of mystery and of something forbidden about to be uncovered. A lot of world building and I really like the idea of a sand ocean. The motif of the greek words used is also very interesting, as so far, it seems to be words for animals and emotions. Emotions in particular appear to be an important aspect of this world.

Can't wait to see how things will proceed.

DNAbro

Osomatsu S2 2

I forgot that this series has it's ups and downs and it's like a 50% shot if it's actually funny. Last episode was amazing so this one has to be ehh. The cutting off the nipple bit was pretty funny though.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is sword art online Ordinal Scale going to be available to rent on YouTube or anything similar? At the last minute I cancelled on seeing it in theaters and now I want to but I'm not sure I want to just blindly pay $XX for the pricey blu ray in December.

Aki-at

Kakegurui - END

This seemed like a rushed conclusion, it was a still enjoyable episode but it feels like it wants to push me to reading the manga (Which incidently when me and a friend were in Japan a couple weeks back noted how we often forget anime is just an advertisement for the manga haha) I did still enjoy the ride. I'd have hoped for a slightly more packed finale after every other game took 2 episodes including the timid idol stuff. I guess when I think about it it would have been tough to extend a simple game of chance to a two parter anyway so maybe it was for the best.

With it's stylish intro, great faces and crazy characters, this show was my kind of jam. I'd be in for season 2 and if not, might pick up the manga at somepoint. A weak and rushed finale though hurts my overall enjoyment but some of the moments through out the season is enough to keep it in my good books. 7/10

mankoto

Anime-Gatari - 01
Anime girls talking about anime. How novel. Why in the world did Arisa have to call her out to an empty classroom that nobody goes into if she's okay with essentially spilling her guts one minute later? She should've probed a bit more if she didn't want to be so disappointed with the end result of her conversation...

Looks like that beret is/was going to do something cool, but that'll have to wait until the next episode it seems.

mankoto

The Ancient Magus' Bride - 01
Aaaaannnnnd I'm hooked. Excuse me I debate if I should buy the current volumes available now so I can read ahead or later so I don't spoil myself.

The Ancient Magus' Bride - 01
Aaaaannnnnd I'm hooked. Excuse me I debate if I should buy the current volumes available now so I can read ahead or later so I don't spoil myself.

I will tell you that if you do end up buying the manga vols you won't be disappointed because the art is beautiful.

Jintor

i bounced hard off magus bride manga, is it worth watching?

i can't remember specifically what got me about it but I just think I really was not into the paternalistic master/slave vibe at all

Top Bottom