• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2017 |OT| Makes us all rotten

Jarmel

Banned
Garo Vanishing Line-1
giphy.gif
Hot trash on every level. I haven't hated a premiere this much in awhile. Shakycam everywhere, bouncing tits all over the place, main male lead is obnoxious, and the opening case is boring.

kewlmyc

No Game, No Life finished

Basically the same thoughts as before.
If most of the show wasn't so disgusting, and just about these arrogant jerks taking advantage of a bunch of dummies, I would've really liked it.

Really, I only watched it because I heard the movie was really good, and didn't have all this nasty 11 year old stuff, so still looking forward to that.
So yeah, hoping it's like a Fate/Zero situation.

Definitely won't be checking out more of the main series.

I liked the barf of rainbows too.

Um, I guess that's technically right since it's a robot this time.

And yeah, the movie tones down the bright colors.

Garo Vanishing Line 1

Now I can usually tolerate some bad camerawork. I watch anime after all.

If this is what Park thinks good action directing is, and I hate to say this, he's best when reined in. I won't call it a complete wash, there were a few moments I liked, but whew...

daveo42

Banned
ID-0 2-5

This is probably one of the only times I've ever wished a show would slow down just a bit. Outside most of the crew being
Evertrancers, or without physical bodies
I didn't expect much more in terms of plot hooks. Good night there is so much more to this show than I ever expected and all of it very interesting. Glad to see some of the connections are starting to form as to who some of the characters are and what direction the show is going in.

Jotakori

Kino's Journey ep1

Not sure how I feel about this one yet, it was interesting but kinda bizarre. I couldn't get over the motorcycle talking like it was a completely normal thing lmAO
Curious to see where it goes, though.

Recovery of an MMO Junkie ep1

Holy shit this has to be the cutest thing I've watched since Nozaki-kun. I was expecting a dumb shoujo walking into this but instead I got the most purest, most relatable, most adorable anime ever. I had to spend like five minutes straight squeeing into my hands afterwords cuz I just couldn't handle the cute. New favorite anime of 2017 (so far) (until Kekkai Sensen s2 is out).

Lol I didn't even like Park's storyboard for Divine Flame; I turned it off the first time I tried to watch it. If VL is even worse I don't think I'll attempt it. He needs to stop emulating wack action directors like the Russos.

Garo Vanishing Line 01

Who the hell thought that adding in shaky cam to an animated work was a good design decision?

It's used in Sword of the Stranger, so either Ando or Yutapon did (It's his cut I remember it being used for, but it may have been more widespread). The difference is that it's mild and the DoP made sure the action was still easily readable.

duckroll

Lol I didn't even like Park's storyboard for Divine Flame; I turned it off the first time I tried to watch it. If VL is even worse I don't think I'll attempt it. He needs to stop emulating wack action directors like the Russos.

Really? I thought the storyboards in Divine Flame were really good because he correctly identified what people found exciting about MCU action sequences and used it to elevate the impression people have of the production values for a feature film after a TV series. But this is coming from me, who is a fan of MCU in general and I enjoy the direction of the Russos a lot, while recognizing their shortcomings.

Vanishing Line is Park completely unfiltered after watching even more MCU stuff, and just sitting there jerking off onto the storyboard sheets with regards to COOL ACTION. It's definitely worse, and has all the bad habits in Divine Flame exaggerated to an obnoxious degree, without any of the more subtle restrains used in some sequences of the film that made the action far more readable and exciting. It's really not just shaky cam. That's an easy complaint people have because that's the most obvious flaw. The action in Vanishing Line feels almost weightless and has zero impact most of the time because EVERY movement is high impact SUPER BOOST and the choreography is mostly about fast movements at the expense of interesting movement.

Narag

Pikotarou no Lullaby Lullaby 1-9 FIN

Been watching this off and on and thought it missed more often than it hit. Wish ti had just gone full Ando-san. The ep with the cloud and the sun killed me though. Looks like the last three or so eps will be on the web.

Really? I thought the storyboards in Divine Flame were really good because he correctly identified what people found exciting about MCU action sequences and used it to elevate the impression people have of the production values for a feature film after a TV series. But this is coming from me, who is a fan of MCU in general and I enjoy the direction of the Russos a lot, while recognizing their shortcomings.

Vanishing Line is Park completely unfiltered after watching even more MCU stuff, and just sitting there jerking off onto the storyboard sheets with regards to COOL ACTION. It's definitely worse, and has all the bad habits in Divine Flame exaggerated to an obnoxious degree, without any of the more subtle restrains used in some sequences of the film that made the action far more readable and exciting. It's really not just shaky cam. That's an easy complaint people have because that's the most obvious flaw. The action in Vanishing Line feels almost weightless and has zero impact most of the time because EVERY movement is high impact SUPER BOOST and the choreography is mostly about fast movements at the expense of interesting movement.

Divine Flame is definitely far less egregious than what's being described of VL. It wasn't strictly handheld photography that turned me off, to begin with. I think I'm just more sensitive than most when it comes to spatial geography in films. Most people I know can stand walking further along the clarity/disorientation line than me, and I felt like parts of Divine Flame had little interest in building or maintaining coherent spatial geography. There was one edit in particuar I remember that cuts 180 degrees across a room from a long shot of Leon to a close-up of his back moving very quickly and I had no idea what was happening until after his action had taken place. A few sequences felt kind of unanchored due to unwillingness to ever show the ground, as well. (On some level, I'm sure this is because it's more difficult/time consuming to animate in perspective with the ground, complete with shadows, and you can't just pan over it like a background). But yeah, Divine Flame wasn't a rage quit for me like Civil War. It was more like 'I don't need this'. I actually thought Park might get better after that experiment.

Szadek

Garo Vanishing Line-1

Hot trash on every level. I haven't hated a premiere this much in awhile. Shakycam everywhere, bouncing tits all over the place, main male lead is obnoxious, and the opening case is boring.
The first point is part far the biggest problem.
If it ha good action it could get away with being a shlocky action anime, but the already questinable camerawork combined with the constant shacking made it impossible to tell what's going on.

Like in the last action scene, the dude cutes all limbs off from the monster, but that didn't register at all until the scene slowed down near the very end.
It' doesn't have the worst action scenes I have seen this year (Hi Fate/Apocrypha!), but it's close.

Aki-at

Garo Vanishing Line - 1

Shakycam and bouncing bossoms everywhere. Also confirmed I've played too much Yakuza because I didn't recognise Kugimiya's voice until she said "Ne!"

Going to just wait on Kekkai Sensen and I think between this, Kino and Junni Taisen, I've got a good collection of shows to watch this season. Not a great opening episode but there were a few things I liked in there, mainly the steak eating scene!

Narag

Yami Shibai S5 11-13 FIN

Mostly average but with some real highlights. Sadly even an average season places it squarely in the list of good seasons to watch.

Qurupeke

Garo Vanishing Line 1

I enjoyed it. The action scenes seemed a bit incomprehensible on some parts though. Hopefully they'll get better eventually.

fertygo

I still want to believe in Vanishing Line, the chara design is too bueno.. tone down the shaky cam and I'm good.

I'm not a hater for the fast action for the sake of fast brand of style in DIVINE FLAME, I think its damn cool in linear style, I guess they want to cheat out with the shake cam.

/XX/

That "parallel realities" predicament between Ribbon Warrior and the main canon itself shouldn't, in my opinion, be preventing the mere showing of characters like Asparagus on this. One thing are the occurring events those characters are involved in for Takeshi Nogami's original adaptation of the property, and another is how the characters themselves are designed and act, and what could they represent for successive projects helm by Mr. Mizushima & Co., in a way that both aren't mutually exclusive.

Anyway, at least I hope Mr. Nogami's input for the animated projects is still present on this upcoming one!

pbayne

New Gintama

It was alright. Sucks for it that it airs beside

New Osomatsu

Which was fantastic and makes Gintama look tame in comparison.

And new Kino

Was fine. Looked nice, episodes story was okay nothing special.

Lol maybe im glad Garo didnt get picked anywhere here now.

Jarmel

Banned
You’re right that it’s obviously multiple problems stacked on top of each other. The shaky cam might be fine by itself if the camera movement wasn’t insane. On top of that you have choreography that focuses on key ‘moments’ rather than the fight as a whole. The ambush scene comes to mind where Sword magically appears and grabs the Horror and you can only track particular actions he’s doing like a throw rather than how everything comes together. All of these issues are just layered into one big shitshow.
Maybe Garo will get better once the inevitable budget drop hits?
I was kinda thinking this last night but I didn’t want to say it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You’re right that it’s obviously multiple problems stacked on top of each other. The shaky cam might be fine by itself if the camera movement wasn’t insane. On top of that you have choreography that focuses on key ‘moments’ rather than the fight as a whole. The ambush scene comes to mind where Sword magically appears and grabs the Horror and you can only track particular actions he’s doing like a throw rather than how everything comes together. All of these issues are just layered into one big shitshow.

I was kinda thinking this last night but I didn’t want to say it.

It'll probably happen but if I'm honest I didn't care for the shift in Divine flame. Though really series wise Garo's fight seasons have always been a bit inconsistent in quality so I'll see how it goes.

mankoto

Hina Logi - From Luck & Logic - 08
Says alot when you don't watch a show for 6 weeks and you don't remember a thing about it... Not even the character's names. Oh well. I hope the play goes well for them.

Monster Strike The Fading Cosmos Episode 1 - The Beginning of the End

Looks like were back to the old animation style, which is alright in my books ,though we're still reminded of it in any flashback sequence from last part of this season.

The Madarame showing his true colors plot happened at just the right time. Loving how dedicated Homura Ren is now again.

Cant believe he was offed that fast, Im ready for the new near apocalypse plot

DLhUtaQU8AAKMe5.jpg:small

Top Bottom