• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AV Receivers, HDMI & PS4 Pro 4k / HDR

CKB3375

I've pulled the trigger on a 65" LG B7 and now have to upgrade my receiver. Looking at the Sony STRDN1080 and wondering if anyone here can provide feedback?

Hoping it goes on sale again soon as it's $699 CAD currently but was on sale for $499 a couple of months ago.

Yukstin

I've pulled the trigger on a 65" LG B7 and now have to upgrade my receiver. Looking at the Sony STRDN1080 and wondering if anyone here can provide feedback?

Hoping it goes on sale again soon as it's $699 CAD currently but was on sale for $499 a couple of months ago.

Looks like a real solid receiver, got a really good review on CNET https://www.cnet.com/products/sony-str-dn1080/review/

Has support for Dolby Vision pass through which will be important for future compatibility.

I haven't owned a Sony receiver but I know a lot of people really like them.

CNET does reference a couple of comparison receivers from Denon and Yamaha, you may want to compare.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Any reason why I would have a loud subwoofer pop when turning a receiver on/off? It feels like it's just an initial jolt if that makes sense. Otherwise they both perform fine. I don't recall it in my older receivers. Onkyo receiver by the way.

psychotron

So any ideas on receivers when keeping HDMI 2.2 in mind? I see some that are Dolby Vision and HDR compatible, but I didn’t know if I should be waiting to buy for the new standard. I’m very uneducated with this, lol.

Lady Gaia

So any ideas on receivers when keeping HDMI 2.2 in mind? I see some that are Dolby Vision and HDR compatible, but I didn’t know if I should be waiting to buy for the new standard. I’m very uneducated with this, lol.

There is no such thing as HDMI 2.2 yet, and there are no devices of any kind that support the HDMI 2.1 specification. I’m not even certain the spec has been finalized.

Receivers promoted as supporting HDMI 2.1 probably won’t appear until 2018 and they’re likely to be extremely high end models only initially. After all, the big marquee features for the new spec are 8k and 10k support. It’s mostly a forward-looking specification with limited immediate application, so if you’re thinking of waiting you should note that you could be waiting quite a while.

What gets interesting is the potential for 2.1 features that could be supported with 2.0 hardware, like Variable Refresh Rate. As far as I’m aware, Microsoft are the only ones to commit to supporting that kind of configuration. No televisions and no receivers have been announced. Maybe there will be a 2.0c specification to formalize this kind of thing? If so, I could see that being a mainstream move in 2018 but as of now we know nothing.

So buy if you’re sick of waiting, or hold off indefinitely waiting to see what options are around the corner. Me? I think I’m to the point of simply buying now and assuming that I’ll want second- or third-generation HDMI 2.1 gear when the prices come down to earth in a few years’ time.

psychotron

There is no such thing as HDMI 2.2 yet, and there are no devices of any kind that support the HDMI 2.1 specification. I’m not even certain the spec has been finalized.

Receivers promoted as supporting HDMI 2.1 probably won’t appear until 2018 and they’re likely to be extremely high end models only initially. After all, the big marquee features for the new spec are 8k and 10k support. It’s mostly a forward-looking specification with limited immediate application, so if you’re thinking of waiting you should note that you could be waiting quite a while.

What gets interesting is the potential for 2.1 features that could be supported with 2.0 hardware, like Variable Refresh Rate. As far as I’m aware, Microsoft are the only ones to commit to supporting that kind of configuration. No televisions and no receivers have been announced. Maybe there will be a 2.0c specification to formalize this kind of thing? If so, I could see that being a mainstream move in 2018 but as of now we know nothing.

So buy if you’re sick of waiting, or hold off indefinitely waiting to see what options are around the corner. Me? I think I’m to the point of simply buying now and assuming that I’ll want second- or third-generation HDMI 2.1 gear when the prices come down to earth in a few years’ time.

Thank you for that information. I suppose I’ll just go for one that does HDR/DV and Atmos for now. I’m tired of not being able to use my current receiver with the Pro or XB1.

alexbull_uk

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread to ask, but does anyone know of any decent 4K/HDR capable HDMI switches? Keep seeing mixed reviews on everything that claims to be 4K/HDR capable.

Was thinking that when my X1X comes I'd rather have it and my PS4 Pro on one HDMI.

psychotron

Trying to find a receiver that supports both DV and HDR, while also not breaking the bank, is tough. I wanted to go with a Sony because my speakers and tv are, but they don’t support Dolby Vision. There’s a Denon for $479 on Amazon that seems to do both and has 6 HDMI inputs.

Not sure if this is exactly the right thread to ask, but does anyone know of any decent 4K/HDR capable HDMI switches? Keep seeing mixed reviews on everything that claims to be 4K/HDR capable.

Was thinking that when my X1X comes I'd rather have it and my PS4 Pro on one HDMI.

Yeah I use the Sewell switchdeck (white one) and it does ps4 pro and xbox S 4k and hdr on my Samsung tv (which only has 1 hdmi 2.0 port). 3 months on and no issues.

Sanjay

Is there any websites that inform you of how much lag input is added with recievers? That type of information seems very important that I never see in reviews.

Lady Gaia

Is there any websites that inform you of how much lag input is added with recievers? That type of information seems very important that I never see in reviews.

Most people playing linear content don’t care, so it’s not frequently addressed except where it relates to lip sync challenges. It’s also quite possible to introduce very different levels of audio and video lag. Probably the most reliable way to test is with Rock Band and one of the guitars that has built-in sensors for calibration.

I plan to test my new Yamaha RX-A1070 with this technique next weekend now that I have everything set up. I did play some Rocksmith tonight and wound up turning off all audio processing via Pure Direct mode to minimize audio lag which was quite noticeable otherwise.

III-V

Most people playing linear content don’t care, so it’s not frequently addressed except where it relates to lip sync challenges. It’s also quite possible to introduce very different levels of audio and video lag. Probably the most reliable way to test is with Rock Band and one of the guitars that has built-in sensors for calibration.

I plan to test my new Yamaha RX-A1070 with this technique next weekend now that I have everything set up. I did play some Rocksmith tonight and wound up turning off all audio processing via Pure Direct mode to minimize audio lag which was quite noticeable otherwise.

With Rocksmith there is so much lag through HDMI. Is almost necessary to go video only HDMI and audio through optical cable.

Lady Gaia

With Rocksmith there is so much lag through HDMI. Is almost necessary to go video only HDMI and audio through optical cable.

I see that claim repeatedly but I’m not sure there’s actually a technical reason to expect that it will be the case. Analog audio output on consoles, back when that was a thing, had an inherent advantage that reduced latency. Digital audio transmission is a different story.

HDMI and TOSLINK optical interconnects both have the same implicit latency issues built in, and optical has the disadvantage over being an older protocol that is extremely bandwidth limited. To get multichannel sound over optical requires Dolby Digital or DTS encoding which componds the problem. I could definitely tell the latency difference between these surround encodings and stereo LPCM over optical, but I don’t find LPCM optical to have audible advantages over HDMI. I suspect it depends a lot on the receiver.

As I noted above, engaging a “pure direct” mode without any DSP trickery on the output path is what makes a big difference for me.

III-V

I see that claim repeatedly but I’m not sure there’s actually a technical reason to expect that it will be the case. Analog audio output on consoles, back when that was a thing, had an inherent advantage that reduced latency. Digital audio transmission is a different story.

HDMI and TOSLINK optical interconnects both have the same implicit latency issues built in, and optical has the disadvantage over being an older protocol that is extremely bandwidth limited. To get multichannel sound over optical requires Dolby Digital or DTS encoding which componds the problem. I could definitely tell the latency difference between these surround encodings and stereo LPCM over optical, but I don’t find LPCM optical to have audible advantages over HDMI. I suspect it depends a lot on the receiver.

As I noted above, engaging a “pure direct” mode without any DSP trickery on the output path is what makes a big difference for me.

I only have this issue with Rocksmith. Any other game it is not noticeable for me. I have a Denon X1300W and even with Direct mode it was unbearable. I use direct for all my stereo and vinyl music, as this was my first instinct. You need to make sure that the setting is engaged in the PS4 audio menu as well.

I know your tech savvy, so it may be working on your end, just giving you my experience, and without the optical, it was bad. I actually have 2 PS4, one of them set up specifically for Rocksmith since it is such a hassle.

dr_rus

Depends on a model I guess but from my personal experience if a receiver only extracts the audio stream and doesn't touch the video signal in any way then there's no additional lag.

Vuci

I have a Sony XBR55X900E 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD, but I have too many 4K UHD devices and desperately need more HDMI ports.

I learned that this CT800 Soundbar has 4K HDMI ports, but will this allow for proper HDR content as well?

I'd be connecting a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and Apple TV4K and a bunch of other non-HDR devices via HDMI. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

The alternative is to get a Sony STRDN1080 7.2 Channel Dolby Atmos Home Theater AV Receiver and a Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System. I assume that will get me MUCH better sound and more flexibility/connections.

What about lag? I assume the STRDN1080 is a decent receiver suited for gaming content..

psychotron

I have a Sony XBR55X900E 55-Inch 4K Ultra HD, but I have too many 4K UHD devices and desperately need more HDMI ports.

I learned that this CT800 Soundbar has 4K HDMI ports, but will this allow for proper HDR content as well?

I'd be connecting a PS4 Pro, Xbox One X and Apple TV4K and a bunch of other non-HDR devices via HDMI. I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision.

The alternative is to get a Sony STRDN1080 7.2 Channel Dolby Atmos Home Theater AV Receiver and a Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System. I assume that will get me MUCH better sound and more flexibility/connections.

What about lag? I assume the STRDN1080 is a decent receiver suited for gaming content..

I always recommend a good receiver, as sound is just as important as graphics. That said, I worry like crazy about adding lag as well, so I did a lot of research. I thought about the Sony 1080 as well, but heard too many negatives about it. Ended up getting a Denon S920W and haven't looked back. They sell a refurbished model on Amazon for $399. It has 8 HDMI ports and someone on AVS used Leo Bodnar tester for lag, and it added essentially nothing. If there was any change is was a tenth of a ms. I set my receiver to bypass and put it in pure direct audio mode. It's amazing.

Ironballs

This might be a long shot, but does anyone know of any HDMI splitters that will allow me to split 4K HDR video from my PS4 Pro to my TV and lossless audio to my receiver? I recently upgraded to a 4K TV and ARC passthru maxes out at Dolby 5.1 which really doesn't cut it anymore. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR1010, which I'm having trouble finding a suitable replacement for as HDMI video switching between two different TV's is an essential feature of my living room.

Are you sure about this?
My tv has the possibility to send HD sound if the receiver is compatible with the signal.. I can choose from either PCM and bitstream..

Yes, it's a limitation of HDMI ARC. If you're getting PCM, it's probably just 2.0. The new HDMI format will have a newer version of ARC which will support HD audio formats, but as of right now, it doesn't at all.

Tumle

Yes, it's a limitation of HDMI ARC. If you're getting PCM, it's probably just 2.0. The new HDMI format will have a newer version of ARC which will support HD audio formats, but as of right now, it doesn't at all.
Oh ok.. so should I choose bitstream then?

CraigMcD

Asked this in another thread, but didn't get an answer so I'll try in here.

Just bought a Denon AVR-X2400H to go with a 4K TV. Could I connect a PS VR breakout box to the Zone2 HDMI to make sure that HDR is passed from the PS4 through to the TV (through the Main Zone HDMI)?

NYR

Asked this in another thread, but didn't get an answer so I'll try in here.

Just bought a Denon AVR-X2400H to go with a 4K TV. Could I connect a PS VR breakout box to the Zone2 HDMI to make sure that HDR is passed from the PS4 through to the TV (through the Main Zone HDMI)?
There is no way to get HDR pass through on the old PSVR breakout box. You need multiple HDMI cables and need to swap the cables accordingly.

CraigMcD

There is no way to get HDR pass through on the old PSVR breakout box. You need multiple HDMI cables and need to swap the cables accordingly.
I’m thinking:

PS4 Pro -> Denon

Then:

Zone1 -> TV
Zone2 -> PSVR -> TV (separate HDMI for social screen)

Would that not work?

NYR

I’m thinking:

PS4 Pro -> Denon

Then:

Zone1 -> TV
Zone2 -> PSVR -> TV (separate HDMI for social screen)

Would that not work?
There still needs to be a cable going from the nrakout box to the PS4. You would need to swap a cable from the PS4 to the one hooked up to zone 1 and then zone 2 when you wanted to play VR.

This might be a long shot, but does anyone know of any HDMI splitters that will allow me to split 4K HDR video from my PS4 Pro to my TV and lossless audio to my receiver? I recently upgraded to a 4K TV and ARC passthru maxes out at Dolby 5.1 which really doesn't cut it anymore. My receiver is an Onkyo TX-NR1010, which I'm having trouble finding a suitable replacement for as HDMI video switching between two different TV's is an essential feature of my living room.

I require the same thing for my Xbox one x when it arrives. The hd fury avr key is designed to do this. It is a bit costly, but much less than a new avr.

Leeway

Neo Member
reposting this for the Television thread because it's AV related:

So I just got the 65" version a few weeks and while it's great, I've just recently (within the past week), noticed some white spots flickering whenever my ps4 pro switches to HDR mode (which it also seems to automatically do for netflix for some reason??). Quite noticeable during particularly dark moments on screen. The pro is going through a Pioneer receiver, so I tried connecting directly to the TV and noticed the white flickering spots disappeared. I went into the settings of the HDMI output on the receiver the pro is on and noticed it's set to 4:4:4, I switched it to 4:2:2, but then everything was washed out when the pro went to HDR mode. So I then switched the receiver back to 4:4:4, and over the last day or so I've noticed the white spots have disappeared, though I suspect the problem may crop up again.

I'm not too used to tinkering with all these settings, so I've left my PS4 video output to auto, which I think is for the best? I've noticed if I set it to YUV420 for HDR content the white spots do not show up as well. Only in RGB or auto mode do they have a tendency to show up when passing through the receiver. I guess I'd just like to hear some of your thoughts or if any of you have experienced similar issues.

It's a Pioneer home theatre system/receiver that I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JOBIFP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah I use the Sewell switchdeck (white one) and it does ps4 pro and xbox S 4k and hdr on my Samsung tv (which only has 1 hdmi 2.0 port). 3 months on and no issues.

I require the same thing for my Xbox one x when it arrives. The hd fury avr key is designed to do this. It is a bit costly, but much less than a new avr.

Quoting myself above. I have the Sewell Switch Deck which successfully works with my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S in full HDR. The problem is that the ARC from my TV only outputs DTS to my Sony Receiver. LPCM only works in 2 channels, as Marty Chinn pointed out.

Sewell makes another product called the Split Deck 2.0 that I am tempted to try.

In other words, both PS4P and XB1S go into the Switch Deck, and I will take the single output and plug that into the Split Deck, which would output to my TV and another directly to my receiver. Hopefully that produces LPCM 5.1 while maintaining 4k hdr on the TV

So essentially cutting out my TV's job of doing ARC.

Will report if it works.

Quoting myself above. I have the Sewell Switch Deck which successfully works with my PS4 Pro and Xbox One S in full HDR. The problem is that the ARC from my TV only outputs DTS to my Sony Receiver. LPCM only works in 2 channels, as Marty Chinn pointed out.

Sewell makes another product called the Split Deck 2.0 that I am tempted to try.

In other words, both PS4P and XB1S go into the Switch Deck, and I will take the single output and plug that into the Split Deck, which would output to my TV and another directly to my receiver. Hopefully that produces LPCM 5.1 while maintaining 4k hdr on the TV

Will report if it works.
I've tried a similar device, they all have this limitation of only outputting the lesser HDMI spec of the connected two. I couldn't get Xbox one S to display properly in 4K mode.

I don't even need a receive actually.

My Sony ct800 has hdmi 4k hdr pass through to arc port

Hdmi from. Ps4 pro to ct800 to TV

All my consoles connected to TV and TV os get ct800 output automatically

I realky don't understand the point of a receiver with this passthrough capability

I've tried a similar device, they all have this limitation of only outputting the lesser HDMI spec of the connected two. I couldn't get Xbox one S to display properly in 4K mode.

Hd fury avr key is designed to handle this situation. I have one in order, so I haven't used it yet. However, it's designed specifically for this issue.

reposting this for the Television thread because it's AV related:

So I just got the 65" version a few weeks and while it's great, I've just recently (within the past week), noticed some white spots flickering whenever my ps4 pro switches to HDR mode (which it also seems to automatically do for netflix for some reason??). Quite noticeable during particularly dark moments on screen. The pro is going through a Pioneer receiver, so I tried connecting directly to the TV and noticed the white flickering spots disappeared. I went into the settings of the HDMI output on the receiver the pro is on and noticed it's set to 4:4:4, I switched it to 4:2:2, but then everything was washed out when the pro went to HDR mode. So I then switched the receiver back to 4:4:4, and over the last day or so I've noticed the white spots have disappeared, though I suspect the problem may crop up again.

I'm not too used to tinkering with all these settings, so I've left my PS4 video output to auto, which I think is for the best? I've noticed if I set it to YUV420 for HDR content the white spots do not show up as well. Only in RGB or auto mode do they have a tendency to show up when passing through the receiver. I guess I'd just like to hear some of your thoughts or if any of you have experienced similar issues.

It's a Pioneer home theatre system/receiver that I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JOBIFP2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm getting similar issues to you with a PS4 Pro too. But not just in HDR content.

I've got a LG C7 65" with a Pioneer SC-LX59 Receiver. The receiver is a few years old now but the first 3 HDMI ports support HDCP 2.2 and 4:4:4. I had to change a setting on each HDMI port to change it from 4:2:0 to 4:4:4 which I've done.

However several times when I first turn my PS4 on, nothing is displayed on my TV. I usually have to disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable out of the back of the PS4 or the HDMI input to the receiver. Then the picture will display. Other times it will display straight way but when the black background with the white Playstation logo is displayed, sometimes there is clear "interference" being shown with white flickering dots all over the screen. This is normally only noticeable during mostly dark scenes (like PS4 bootup or during the "Sony Interactive Entertainment presents" scenes).

This seems to happen even if I set everything to "auto" in the PS4 settings under Display or I force it to "YUV420" with or without HDR switched on. I even tried changing to a different HDMI input on my receiver and get the same issue. I don't know if it's my receiver causing the issue or my new TV or a combination of both. I never had this issue with the same receiver and my old Samsung LED TV but that was only a 1080p TV with no HDR.

I've not had any issues with Xbox One S though. The only issue I had on both PS4 Pro and Xbox One S is with HDR content displaying very visible "banding" in shots of skies. Where the gradient isn't gradual and subtle (anyone not familiar with "banding"). I read in another GAF thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310135 that it's much less visible if you set your Display to YUV420 for HDR content instead of leaving it to auto (which defaults to RGB for regular SDR content and changes to YUV422 for HDR content). This is a bit of a pain if you want to enjoy the best picture quality without having to change back to RGB or "Auto" for non-HDR content all the time.

Posted this in the TV thread as well to no results. Pls spoon feed me. :3

Welp, it's time for me to stop being a pleb and get a better sound solution then just the TV speakers. Is there a decent easy soundbar solution to hold me over till I can do a bunch of research on a receiver/speaker set that suits my needs? Just want something that wouldn't have any issue with video gaming since that is the primary use of my TV. Price, high or low, isn't really an issue, I just want something that works well and there are so many options that I get choice paralysis just from looking at it all.

Feels bad not having a good sound set up, not to mention odd for me, since even my retro setup has some bookshelf speakers

For those that have the Sewell SwitchDeck, I have a question.

I currently have a switch that was supposedly able to do 4K@60, that I have my PS4 Pro/Xbox One S/PC and Switch connected to. Since it doesn't do 4K, everything is stuck at 1080p.

Connected to that is a 4K splitter so that I can send the signal to my TV and PC (For recording gameplay footage). However, I've heard some good stuff about the Sewell SwitchDeck and am looking at getting the 2.0 update. Does anyone have this sort of setup and if so, have you encountered any issues? I'm looking at picking up the Sewell SplitDeck, just to remove any issues with the 4K@60 being pushed to 4K@30.

I don't want to add a receiver into the mix as this is my office.The mancave has the big guns, this is mainly for streaming/gameplay stuffs for my site.

Thanks!

ElNino

I don't even need a receive actually.

My Sony ct800 has hdmi 4k hdr pass through to arc port

Hdmi from. Ps4 pro to ct800 to TV

All my consoles connected to TV and TV os get ct800 output automatically

I realky don't understand the point of a receiver with this passthrough capability
The point is if you want to have better speakers and/or a "true" surround setup with multiple speakers, or if you have more devices than inputs on your TV.

Ironballs

Will report if it works.

Thanks for the replies! Really tempted to get the AVR key as it looks like its precisely what I need, but I'll wait for your report on the SplitDeck is quite a bit less expensive and looks like it supports all the audio formats I need judging from the product description.

oatmeal

Banned
Question - i have speakers that want 100w's per channel. My receiver (Denon something) does about 75.

Would I see an increase if I got a receiver that could push out 100?

III-V

Question - i have speakers that want 100w's per channel. My receiver (Denon something) does about 75.

Would I see an increase if I got a receiver that could push out 100?

Louder is not better. I would be more concerned with sound quality, distortion, etc. The speakers so not 'want' 100 W. You can just think that they have some headroom before distortion becomes severe.

Thanks for the replies! Really tempted to get the AVR key as it looks like its precisely what I need, but I'll wait for your report on the SplitDeck is quite a bit less expensive and looks like it supports all the audio formats I need judging from the product description.

So I don't think I'm going to try the splitter route as I hear the signal resolution will default to the lowest in the chain (ie my 1080p receiver). Sorry! I think I can live with DTS audio until a good AV receiver deal comes around (Sony DN-1000 series for example).

Hoping Black friday is good!

I've pulled the trigger on a 65" LG B7 and now have to upgrade my receiver. Looking at the Sony STRDN1080 and wondering if anyone here can provide feedback? Hoping it goes on sale again soon as it's $699 CAD currently but was on sale for $499 a couple of months ago.

I bought my STRDN1080 last week, it was $499 on sale everywhere and there was an Amazon Warehouse "good" unit for $398 plus tax I jumped on (it was brand new and had never been used, just returned).

I have to say I am blown away by this receiver and would absolutely recommend it without hesitation. I've owned Onkyos and Yamahas in the past, had good luck with the latter (not so much the former), but the quality of sound in the STRDN1080 is just outstanding. A myriad of different listening modes and options, but they're easy to maneuver through once you get the hang of it. There's a new Dolby Surround mode (that basically replaces all their previous upmixing modes) that really sounds great no matter what you put into it in particular, but whatever floats your boat as they say.

More over everything seems to work and work well. The 2 HDMI outs is also nice to have, allows me to put my Xbox One into one of my TV's ports and use Gaming mode -- no lag -- while using the other HDMI out for other components that don't need the Gaming mode.

After buying a 4K set earlier this year I was not planning on upgrading my 2012 receiver, but the a/v sync was just becoming too much of an issue for me between different components on my old Yamaha. If you can find it for $499 or under, I'd definitely go for it -- the Amazon Warehouse deals frequently pop up around $400-ish daily (I had been following it for a bit before pulling the trigger). I'd say the reviews are as good as advertised on this receiver from my experience, and I've owned a handful of these over the years.

rudger

Alright gaf remnants, I’ve been sitting on my collection of systems for over a year and finally had a chance to dig them up and try hooking everything back up again. Unfortunately, I no longer have my old Sony crt and when I hook up my systems to my computer monitor through my Marantz 7002 it won’t display the older systems. My neighbor had an old crt computer monitor with only a vga input, but I discovered last night that it too has resolution restrictions and although it’s high def, it won’t display 720p or 1080p. It instead has weird increments...and 600x480 so my dreamcast has never looked more glorious. Truly glorious. So sad it’s useless otherwise.

I’m thinking it’s time to buy a new tv and possibly a new receiver. My question is, any suggestion for something that can display older systems? Also, do robust video switchers exist with just a pass through for audio? I plan to use headphones so the 5.1/7.1 whatever speaker receivers seem excessive. I accept that I may have to give up on enjoying any of my old light gun games until I move to a place where I can get a big crt.

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong forum for this.

So I don't think I'm going to try the splitter route as I hear the signal resolution will default to the lowest in the chain (ie my 1080p receiver). Sorry! I think I can live with DTS audio until a good AV receiver deal comes around (Sony DN-1000 series for example).

Hoping Black friday is good!
That difference in audio isn't all that noticeable unless we're talking Atmos, which I just don't care about. I just use an ICan HDMI switch that supports hdcp 2.2 and pass the audio through to my HK receiver. I actually returned my new receiver because I got the AVR 154 for $50 off a retiree on Kijiji and the switch cost 60. Saving about 400 for a very minor difference in audio.

Top Bottom