• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ava DuVernay and Others To Adapt Octavia E. Butler’s Sci-Fi Novel ‘Dawn’ For TV

A new dawn on the small screen is coming for Octavia E. Butler’s Dawn.

The classic 1987 science fiction novel by the Nebula- and Hugo Award-winning author has been picked up by Ava DuVernay, Charles D. King’s Macro and director-writer Victoria Mahoney for adaption into a television series, I’ve learned.

In what remarkably is the first time that Science Fiction Hall of Famer’s Butler’s work has been adapted for TV, Mahoney will pen the series about an African-American woman who works with aliens to resurrect the human race 250 years after a nuclear war. King and DuVernay will executive produced the Dawn series. The ex-WME partner and the A Wrinkle in Time director will be joined as EP by Kim Roth, Poppy Hanks, Allen Bain, Gary Pearl, Thomas L. Carter and Teddy Smith. King’s media company Macro, Forward Movement, Bainframe and Oil & Cattle will produce.

The estate of Butler, who died in 2006, was represented in this deal by the agent for the estate, Merrilee Heifetz of Writers House, LLC, with Gary Pearl.

A prolific author who used sci-fi to address issues of race, gender and hierarchy, among others, Butler in 1995 was the first writer in the genre to be awarded the MacArthur Fellowship aka the Genius Grant. Led by the aptly named character of Lilith Iyapo, Dawn is the first book in what has been called Butler’s Lilith’s Brood trilogy, which also includes 1988’s Adulthood Rites and 1989’s Imago.

Having recently announced the hourlong political drama Indivisible with CNN regular Van Jones, King’s Macro co-financed and produced the Oscar-winning Fences, directed by and starring Denzel Washington and Viola Davis, In addition to the film based on August Wilson’s Tony Award and Pulitzer Prize winning play, Macro has also produced and financed the Sundance contender Mudbound, among other projects.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/ava-duv...-tv-series-victoria-mahoney-macro-1202145539/

51klO3PCd-L._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Odoul

I think I read a book in this series.

Is this the one where aliens take away the ability of humans to reproduce and they have like four sees and only hybrids are allowed to be bred?

I'd love a Patternmaster movie. Doro is a beast.

Or the story with the sentient xenomorphs where the human slave let's his zeno sister impregnate him with her eggs.

Alucrid

Banned
I think I read a book in this series.

Is this the one where aliens take away the ability of humans to reproduce and they have like four sees and only hybrids are allowed to be bred?

I'd love a Patternmaster movie. Doro is a beast.

Or the story with the sentient xenomorphs where the human slave let's his zeno sister impregnate him with her eggs.

bloodchild? yeah a bloodchild movie would be pretty good

KingDirk

Just started the Patternmaster cycle (after apparently having read part of Wild Seed at 10) so I guess I have something new to add to my list before then.

gatling

Yesssss

DuVernay is on a roll lately. Theres enough in the first novel to make a solid sci-fi series alone but the subsequent books have time leaps and multi-generational plots that may or may not work for television. I dunno

I wonder how they will present certain social aspects of the book. Butler wrote the main character with a lot of relatable introspection to me. I’m not so sure how much of herself she writes into her characters, but I was hooked and sometimes disappointed in myself for agreeing with some of Lilith’s more controversial opinions on human nature such as the violence and sexual savagery of certain archetypes, or the idea of femininity being tied to motherhood, etc…

Rupetta

Fantastic news, how could I have missed this.. between this and the Okorsfor adaption for best adaption news as Butler is one of my favourite authors - as visible from my avatar. Can't wait. Hopefully some day we will see Parable trilogy adaped.

While on the topic of Butler please take time to read the July piece on her in the New Yorker. Mostly on the MAGA dystopia of parable of talents but it has some other good insights as well http://www.newyorker.com/books/seco...-a-zealot-elected-to-make-america-great-again

Pau

Awesome!

I'm so fucking stoked for this.

I hope the sex scenes are good.
Yeah, my first thought also went to how much they'll go into
the human/alien sex. I imagine the aliens are going to be depicted as more humanoid.

psyfi

Banned
I hope they don't anthropomorphize the oankali too much. One of the stand out moments in the books is when the
captive humans are terrified to even look at the oankali.

Top Bottom