• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Disney Infinity, Toy Story 3) re-opened under Warner, making Cars 3 game

Malyse

Ah. I've had a misunderstanding how licensed games work.

Not necessarily. Occasionally Disney *will* step in and oversee the development of a game/assist with its creation. Specifically, the team working on KH3 is getting a great deal of oversight from the WDAS team about the Big Hero 6 world, setting it up (for the first time in the franchise) as a sequel to the film instead of a retelling of the film's story. But for the most part, Disney lets people do whatever.

Eh I don't think a Cars game is a good idea even though the last one was pretty good. Toy Story 3 was fantastic. I'd love to see them do something in that vein again.

Busty

Banned
WOW. That's some turn around of events. It's great to see a studio like this actually be bought up by Warners rather than just being given a life line. Though the cynical part of me wonders if WB bought up the studio because they have access to some kind of tax rebate in the state.

Anyway, will WB use this for any future Disney licensed games they develop or will have they Avalanche work on their IPs in future. Interesting all the same.

WB is just the name. They're still Midway at heart. They can get any license they want, their parent company's feuds and rivalries won't stop that.

What? WB Games just absorbed the Midway IPs, they didn't absorb any of the infrastructure. Apart from Netherrealms they even didn't bother picking up any Midway studios.

Maybe we'll see actual family WB games again.

I'd better see Space Jam 2: The Game! :p We need a new good Looney Tunes game again.

Given how the studio intends to push their Hanna Barbera and Looney Tunes properties over the next couple of years I'd say that there's a great chance of that. And of course the LEGO games aren't going anywhere.

What? WB Games just absorbed the Midway IPs, they didn't absorb any of the infrastructure. Apart from Netherrealms they even didn't bother picking up any Midway studios.

Ummm....Midway had three working studios before closure, WB bought 2 of them and THQ bought the other.

a916

I really hope they get their chance, because Cars 3 could just as well damn the studio too.

Disney closes studio, Warner revives studio, Disney immediately hires them for a Cars game....

Sure, whatever.

Sounds like Disney doesn't want to be in the game business but farm out their IPs instead.

I'm just happy we FINALLY have a legit new Disney movie game since what, BRAVE?!

Would've loved a Finding Dory game based on the original by TT Games (it was NiGHTS-esc where Nemo swims through water rings in 2.5D).

Toy Story 4's going to be awesome since the Toy Story 3 game be Avalanche was pretty awesome, even on Wii despite the graphical dip (I thought it looked surprisingly close, though they have zero facial animation in the Wii version).

Fun fact, the PC versions were indeed Wii ports back in the day. Disney had this odd thing of releasing Wii games, exclusives and otherwise, onto PC. This included Toy Story Mania, Alice in Wonderland, Cars Toons: Mater's Tall Tales, etc.

I'll tell you what we REALLY need...

Spectrobes 3 (4?) on Switch. Origins on Wii is GO GOOD! Genki proved themselves with that, and Jupiter's still kicking, having done a few Metabots games, as well as Tales of the World:: Reve Unitia, and of course a million picross games, all on 3DS.

Shocked we never got a Spectrobes on 3DS by Jupiter.

DyZ

Avalanche did the previous Cars game

Avalanche did make Cars, but Sumo Digital did in fact work on Speedway, which was the racing meta-game present in Infinity 3.

I worked at this studio throughout the development of Infinity 3.

Top Bottom