• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause/Mad Max) hiring to make a crossgen (think PS4/PS5) game, has MP

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Avalanche recently put up a few new job postings with a couple of interesting tidbits.

1.) The jobs say they're for "next-generation experiences" and engines, and one mentions that the new game is in development is for "for both current and next gen platforms".

2.) Both jobs are about adding multiplayer to the engine, so maybe we won't need to have the community patch in multiplayer this time.

It's worth noting that this follows Tabata (Final Fantasy XV) saying BD2's new IP is for next generation consoles.

Job 1:

TECHNICAL DIRECTOR- MULTIPLAYER

Avalanche Studios is currently looking for a senior programmer to lead the development of our next generation open world / sandbox multiplayer engine.

As the Technical Director for multiplayer you will take ownership of the architecture and implementation of multiplayer in the Avalanche Apex engine. This is a great opportunity to work with some of the most complex and rewarding challenges in game development today; Open worlds, sandbox gameplay and highly destructible multiplayer environments.

As with most multiplayer development, a keen sense of fun gameplay and that 6th sense for what gives the perfect "feeling" are both key aspects for this role.

This is a rare opportunity for the candidate who wants to play an instrumental and leading role in a small team developing next-generation multiplayer experience.

If you are a person who likes being challenged and stimulated in an ambitious and talented environment this position will suit you perfectly. Avalanche Studios is developing for both current and next gen platforms.

Job 2: http://avalanchestudios.com/careers/7837/ (It's basically the same thing, so here's the abbreviated version.)

Avalanche Studios is currently looking for a senior programmer to join a small team developing our next generation open world / sandbox multiplayer engine.

Avalanche Studios is developing for both current and next gen platforms.

A strong passion for multiplayer and open world games

DNAbro

I get that it will be 5 years for this gen relatively soon but it still feels like this gen has so much steam left in it that I don't want a new one yet.

Ugh, next-gen already?

jgVO_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Most AAA games have to be around 3 years in dev at least at this point. We're at the 3-4 year mark of the generation so it's inevitable that they have to start keeping the next generation in mind.

2019 seems 50/50 but I think even March 2020 couldn't be ruled out as a potential PS5 starting point.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get that it will be 5 years for this gen relatively soon but it still feels like this gen has so much steam left in it that I don't want a new one yet.

Ugh, next-gen already?

jgVO_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif
Well, even if the new consoles were coming out in Fall 2019, which is over 2 years from now, developers would definitely have to start development now unless you didn't want any games on the systems.

You tend to start reading about this kind of stuff well in advance, so it's worth trying to think how you will feel then instead of now.

ggx2ac

Cross gen games will probably be around for longer regarding the audiences that support the current systems since this wouldn't be another 8-10 year console generation.

DNAbro

Well, even if the new consoles were coming out in Fall 2019, which is over 2 years from now, developers would definitely have to start development now unless you didn't want any games on the systems.

You tend to start reading about this kind of stuff well in advance, so it's worth trying to think how you will feel then instead of now.

true.

But this gen also feels weird cause the mid-gen refreshes which I am totally against. The One X isn't even out yet but we are already talking next gen.

OldMuffin

I'm personally hoping for a 2020 start for the next gen, so then we get every drop of potential out of this gen and so that devs have enough time to set up a killer launch window.

sense

I am thinking it will be fall 2019 for ps5 which would most likely give them a year head start before the next Xbox unless ms decides to launch 2 years into one x.

I love my PS4 but I'll be ready for something new and shiny in 2 years.

Yes. I added a note about Tabata (Final Fantasy XV) mentioning that BD2's next game is for next-generation as well.

I think everyone wants to be ready for that possibility at minimum. I would give it at least a 50% chance.
What is BD2?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
true.

But this gen also feels weird cause the mid-gen refreshes which I am totally against. The One X isn't even out yet but we are already talking next gen.

If we view Sony's PS4 Pro as a literal mid gen update, that gives us:

2013: PS4
2016: PS4 Pro
2019: PS5

What is BD2?
Business Division 2. Square Enix Japan is divided into eight business divisions that they historically haven't advertised, but have started doing so.

I feel like devs haven't even started making good use of the pro and obviously the one X since it's not out yet. 2019 would feel weird

Business division 2 a team in square
If we view Sony's PS4 Pro as a literal mid gen update, that gives us:

2013: PS4
2016: PS4 Pro
2019: PS5

Business Division 2. Square Enix Japan is divided into eight business divisions that they historically haven't advertised, but have started doing so.

Ah ok thanks.

Well, even if they were coming out in Fall 2019, which is over 2 years from now, developers would definitely have to start now unless you didn't want any games on the systems.

This gen can't end fast enough. Ryzen is basically guaranteed for the next gen consoles and we'll finally get consoles with CPUs that don't belong in netbooks.

The thing is, I'm not exactly looking forward to next-gen in 2019. 2020 would be much better.

If these machines couldn't keep up with the growing video game tech, maybe they should stop making open world games or pushing the graphics to their limit.

Anyway, where can I find the source on Square Enix BD2 cross-gen project?

bitbydeath

I am thinking it will be fall 2019 for ps5 which would most likely give them a year head start before the next Xbox unless ms decides to launch 2 years into one x.

Also worth noting the games for PS4 still all appear to be stacked between 2018 and 2019 even after E3 and TGS.

jryeje29

New consoles may come sooner than expected. Hopefully this also means new creative ideas from technology advancements on all fronts not just a fight for 4k or resolution. I don't want the same game at higher resolutions to be next gen.

Eylos

Banned
If its 2019, this PSX Will be the last event for big exclusive Announcements for PS4. After that It should be probably be all Cross gen games. If 2020, E3 Will be.

BigEmil

Mad Max sold well also because it was kinda a near launch title for the new current gen systems at the time where there was hardly much other games to play as well so maybe that's their strategy again but with next gen consoles
New consoles may come sooner than expected. Hopefully this also means new creative ideas from technology advancements on all fronts not just a fight for 4k or resolution. I don't want the same game at higher resolutions to be next gen.
Well current gen consoles released late 2013 so in 2019/2020 it'll be 6-7 years lifespan just like how long last gen consoles lasted

Also I agree about what they should focus on, forget resolution race waste of valuable resources that can be put into the game itself, pixels isn't everything it can just make a turd look sharper that's it

Zukkoyaki

Looking for a senior designer could also indicate that the project is in its infancy. Given how long new IP takes anymore, this doesn't necessarily mean 2019.

dex3108

I just wonder if this is third game they are working on (they have two teams that released game same year). They should have something to show/announce next year because we didn't heard from them in a long time.

Aerogamer

Neo Member
I am still thinking holiday 2020 for PS5. If this game is just starting it has 2.5-3 years left at least from now. Xbox may be holiday 2020, or Spring 2021, no idea.

Looking back I think this game generation is one of the worst.

Thats probably hyperbole but people have said dumber things. Ive just had ZERO interest in it from start to what looks like the 2019 finish

djnewwest

Banned
What's with all this PS4 and 5 talk? Clearly it's multi-platform since they are looking for people with experience with PSN, XBL, and Steam.

bitbydeath

Thats probably hyperbole but people have said dumber things. Ive just had ZERO interest in it from start to what looks like the 2019 finish

Nah, this gen is a renaissance, last-gen went completely off rails with Japan support dying and a massive influx of awful shooter titles, studios closing left and right and SE moving to a western influence.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What's with all this PS4 and 5 talk? Clearly it's multi-platform since they are looking for people with experience with PSN, XBL, and Steam.

The PS4/5 example is just illustrating what "current and next-generation platforms" means. The PC has no clearly-defined hardware generations in the same sense that consoles do. It's essentially Schrödinger's Platform: always current and always moving forward.

labx

Banned

But what make you think that the next gen is going to be better? Look what games have become: DLC'S Microtransactions, F2P, P2W, etc.. Everything will be a Battle Royale, MP based games. I don't want that, but that is where the money is.

I guess Nintento first party games are unique and don't follow the mainstream formula. Sony First party studios do the same with their games. But third parties are putting all their effort into MP games. That's sad.

Top Bottom