• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche (Just Cause/Mad Max) hiring to make a crossgen (think PS4/PS5) game, has MP

bombshell

I think they still have at least something else for this generation.

With that in mind, I don't really see the mention of Avalanche currently developing for both current and next gen as indication that the game they're hiring for is cross-gen. In fact it literally says that the game is next generation open world / sandbox.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Do we know the publisher?

As it stands, we don't know who they're working with for any project.

That said, it's probably still Square Enix and Warner Bros.

With that in mind, I don't really see the mention of Avalanche currently developing for both current and next gen as indication that the game they're hiring for is cross-gen. In fact it literally says that the game is next generation open world / sandbox.
It is certainly possible it's a next-gen only game.

sense

ps4 pro sales are already bad, a ps5 in 2019 is not going to do well. sony is overestimating how many customers are already ready for a ps5 IMO. also wont even be a big jump in horsepower
Do you know what sony's expectation for ps4 pro were? It was a low key presentation and was marketed as an optional upgrade and they didn't go all out promoting the product trying to tell people that you need to get it. Ps5 would be a different scenario. They are happy with pro sales so not sure how you came to the conclusion that they were bad unless you thought it was supposed to sell like a new generation three years into ps4 lifecycle.

Shahed

The timing works out. A game that releases 2-3 years from now should definitely be made with the next generation in mind

Eylos

Banned
My curiosity about the next console IS If bluray Will do the job, or they Will have go to different media for it

If next gen starts ~2020 that's a good thing.

I love my PS4 Pro, and I'll probably hold on to it till the PS5 Pro shows up so I have no problem whatsoever with this gen ending sooner rather than later.

Tagyhag

Ugh cross-gen, we should just make clean breaks. :p

I love my PS4 Pro, and I'll probably hold on to it till the PS5 Pro shows up so I have no problem whatsoever with this gen ending sooner rather than later.

This is what I'm going to do. If a mid-gen upgrade is the new thing, I'm never going to get a launch system again.

Ahasverus

Guys saying 2019 are delusional. XBONE X is the most powerful console you can build in 2017, and is $500 and still incremental. If they're targeting a $400 box with a significant leap in power, they won't get it until 3-4 years down the line.

I’m kinda starting to think the same considering it takes a while for the console gen to get its footing in terms of games.

Chessr

How can a dev develop for a next gen when they know nothing atm what its gonna be like ? Do they just assume the consoles is fast enough for the games ?

jacobeid

Banned
Oh god no, this gen barely became worthwhile for me.

Yeah, it took a long time for this gen to really hit a stride. Next gen I'm just going to upgrade my PC and hold out until console revisions. Considering I didn't play many exclusives at all until 2015 or so I can definitely wait.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
How can a dev develop for a next gen when they know nothing atm what its gonna be like ? Do they just assume the consoles is fast enough for the games ?

You're assuming that they haven't already been given a performance range by the console vendors, which they most likely have.

spad3

Makes sense, PS3 came out about 7 years after PS2, PS4 came out about 6 years after PS3, PS5 coming out withing 6-7 years of PS4 wouldn't be too far off of a guess.

R aka Bon

Last gen: it went on too long, everyone was starving for new hardware after 7 years!!!

Rumours of next gen starting 6 years in: too early, this gen barely started blah blah blah

2019 is fine so long as Sony (who are most likely to drop a new gen around then IMO) can source a well specced machine, if not 2020 is ok too.

But really, I want my new shiny in November 2019.

But we didn't have these midgen refreshes last gen, they aren't comparable.

You can't judge next gen announcements based on this. With the next gen, whenever it is, going to be pc based, a developer could just make a rough estimate of what a next gen game will be and build for that. If they guess right and finish near the launch of the new systems, great. If not, the high end assets will end up on the PC with a "HD" version show up whenever the new systems launch.

My feeling is if the Xbox One X puts a dent in sony's sales, we will see a PS5 by 2020. Maybe announced in 2019 but I doubt it. If the Xbox One X (I hate typing that for some reason) just maintains status quo, then 2022 is my guess before the next gen hits.

Tagyhag

Makes sense, PS3 came out about 7 years after PS2, PS4 came out about 6 years after PS3, PS5 coming out withing 6-7 years of PS4 wouldn't be too far off of a guess.

It was 8 years between PS3 and PS4.

We also didn't have the mid-gen consoles so I wonder if that's going to affect anything.

dr_rus

Technology advancement is slowing down. It was a huge change between PS2 and PS3 and then PS4. To have a similar kind of change between PS4 and 5 we may have to wait a bit longer than previously.

Ugh cross-gen, we should just make clean breaks. :p

This is what I'm going to do. If a mid-gen upgrade is the new thing, I'm never going to get a launch system again.

I'm day 1 I think. You're not going to know if there will be a mid gen upgrade so you could be waiting for nothing. I'll grab the upgrade for half price again (minus the sale price of the base model) when it releases.

I'll have rethink the plan if Microsoft get their shit together and make an Xbox a worthwhile purchase again. Wouldn't get both twice in 3 or 4 years.

Blam

So late 2019 maybe November? Get it in before the Christmas rush?

It'll probably be $450. Calling it now. Also XBX is the next gen leap for M$ so they won't release a new console since they won't need to. Still hate that we are already dropping the gen like this.

AniHawk

I disagree in regards to the PS3/360 being in sharp decline in 2012/2013. When you see a game like The Last of Us in June 2013 and it easily being the best game on both consoles that year as well as in 2014 including PS4/Xbox One and that every game was a cross gen game, waiting until 2014 to release PS4/Xbox One would have been better in my opinion.

Launch lineups would have been better and instead of it being "slow" and "where are all the games" that was said throughout 2014, there would have been a crap load of launch titles plus remasters and definitive editions.

Sony killed off Vita before it was even launched with outrageous SD card prices. Wii U was a total and complete disaster. PS4 and Xbox One were slow out of the gate and didn't pick up until early 2015 in my opinion. Can't comment on Nintendo portables since I don't pay attention to their handhelds.

2018 for PS5 is 100% NOT going to happen. 2019 is 25% and 2020 is 75% in my opinion. Sony is dominating and simply no reason to release PS5 earlier than they should. Besides, the longer they wait, the cheaper the chipsets should be which would be better for them and us.

If I see PS5 with a Jaguar CPU, I'll 100% wait three years for the PS5 Pro because then, I know that Sony will do that mid-gen crap again. If they're patient and include a far better CPU, then I know that the chances of them doing a Pro is less likely which is what im hoping they do.

it's a matter of what could have happened.

a weaker ps4 could have had gta v, the last of us, gran turismo 6, and possibly others within their year ones as new titles had they launched in 2012, and had planning actually started in 2009 or so. wii u and vita were conceptual disasters, but that doesn't make up for all of the problems that happened to those platforms. all platform holders let the engine in the car die and each one paid in one way or another.

Zarth

With the way the console lifecycle works there could be non form factor dev kits floating around anytime now if the console will be releasing in the next 2-3 years.

A non form factor dev kit is basically a "PC running the system OS with near equivalent parts to what the console will contain".

This allows one to begin developing for the specs of a new console while still adjusting for final hardware revisions as they come in and as the final hardware unit gets designed.

Neith

Banned
Guys saying 2019 are delusional. XBONE X is the most powerful console you can build in 2017, and is $500 and still incremental. If they're targeting a $400 box with a significant leap in power, they won't get it until 3-4 years down the line.

7nm is the only thing that really matters. It's definitely very possible in 3 years and possibly on a tight schedule 2 to 2.5.

The X has a spendy 4K drive and a terrible CPU.

bitbydeath

Technology advancement is slowing down. It was a huge change between PS2 and PS3 and then PS4. To have a similar kind of change between PS4 and 5 we may have to wait a bit longer than previously.

Jumping from 1.84TF to 12TF is pretty big, even if we take in 8TF being required for 4K on current graphics.

The bigger jump will be the CPU though.

Keinning

6 years is longer than most gens and only a year short from last gen. Hope Microsoft changes there plan and has a system that stands out.

change what plans? you want them to cancel the One X?

the console is what it is. its fairly future proofed with compatibility to some technologies which are still not commonly used today. more than that, it won't be, so if sony releases a new console 2019 or 2018 like some seem to believe (highly doubt it), they will coast alone this new ocean for a while. you either accept the One X for what it will be (and always was advertised to be - a more potent xbox one) or move on

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So this E3 will be teases?
Companies normally do same-year (or within a year) reveals these days, so if (for example) the PS5 is out in Fall 2019, it would be unlikely to be shown until Early 2019.

Mind, developers will talk progressively more openly about the next consoles as they get near.

Ugh, next-gen already?

jgVO_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Feels so early talking about next gen.

Is that really a shock? If (and I mean if) PS5 comes out in 2019, that's six years after PS4's launch. PS4 was launched seven years after PS3 and that was considered an abnormally long generation. PS3 was launched in 2006, six years after PS2 (same potential time frame between PS3 and PS4) and PS2 was launched in 2000, (again) six years after PS1 launched (1994 in Japan). PSVita was launched in 2011 (in Japan), seven years after PSP (2004 in Japan). So 2019 or even 2020 is not so crazy a thing.

Companies normally do same-year (or within a year) reveals these days, so if (for example) the PS5 is out in Fall 2019, it would be unlikely to be shown until Early 2019.

Mind, developers will talk progressively more openly about the next consoles as they get near.

Incredibly true, well I guess I'm ready.

Did the Switch push the next gen window?

Some Nobody

Where's everyone's foresight? Like, we've got a WAYS to go between this gen and the next. This year isn't over yet. In twelve months, many of you will likely start to think this gen is long in the tooth. And there's still nothing coming THEN. I place next gen at 2020, and there's a ton of games that will be out between now and then that will change the perception of the PS4 and whether it's worth it or not.

Personally, I'm in no hurry to upgrade. Don't care when they come out so long as it's a good jump from what we have. Last time I bought in launch window. This time I won't bother unless there's a game I just need on PS5. That took nearly a year last time.

Top Bottom