• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche Studios founder says Star Wars 1313 needed another 2 years to finish

Jesus I didn't think it was that far off o_O

jbaVvLKfRlkfYn.jpg

Twitter

BD1

Banned
So what did we see at E3 last year? Must have been completely fake if the game was still that far off.

So what did we see at E3 last year? Must have been completely fake if the game was still that far off.

Big games take a long time to make. The only reason many AAA titles are yearly is because they are completely built on the shoulders of their predecessors. A new series from scratch takes time.

DSN2K

just had this discussion with my brother but the most popular Star Wars games in the last 10 years were not made by Lucas Arts, think that speaks volumes really. Disney have made a sad but wise choice really.

jschreier

This aligns with much of what I've heard, and seems to support what we reported earlier - that the chances of Lucas licensing out 1313 are very slim.

just had this discussion with my brother but the most popular Star Wars games in the last 10 years were not made by Lucas Arts, think that speaks volumes really. Disney have made a sad but wise choice really.

Lucasarts did the same thing Disney intend to do. Give the license out to whoever that can pay. And that gave us what, 2 amazin games? I can only think of one and its KOTOR.

Edit: now well get half assed movie games that launch at the same time as the movie to maximize sales. Just watch.

It's embarrassing on how said I am about LucasArts.
I'm only sad for the staff and sad at the prospect of Disney not valuing some of their lesser known gaming property. Their recent output has not lived up to their historic highs. I hope all my fears are unfounded. I hope everyone gets a job, and that the properties are given new life..

Big games take a long time to make. The only reason many AAA titles are yearly is because they are completely built on the shoulders of their predecessors. A new series from scratch takes time.

It was confirmed last October that there wasn't a solid concept or story for 1313 at the E3 reveal. It was mostly this one polished level they showed off with nice lighting and cover mechanics, but it was basically a tiny prototype of a game that was in the infancy of game development.

antonz

Makes sense giving how much turmoil there was around the project. Going from KOTOR style game to Uncharted is a huge change that requires redoing everything in the design documentation etc

sflufan

Banned

What you saw last year was a "vertical slice" of gameplay similar to what you saw for Prey 2 in 2011 and BioShock: Infinite in 2010.

And that's all that existed of the game, nothing more. It was essentially a glorified "proof of concept."

antonz

Lucasarts was always the most retardedly run company in the industry. They had the easiest fucking job to please their fan base.

Fanbase: We want a new Rebellion!
Lucasarts: Ok a Command and Conquer Game it is!

Fanbase: We want a new Jedi Knight!
Lucasarts: Ok Force Unleashed and its expansion pack sequel it is!

Fanbase: We want a new Xwing or Tie Fighter
Lucasarts: Did you hear something or am I hearing things?

Ganondorfo

It's sad that we only got the force unleashed games this generation...So sad compared to generations before, star wars used to be big in the videogame industry. (Yeah I know about the lego star wars games, but it's not the same as a SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE, REPUBLIC COMMANDO, DARK FORCES, JEDI KNIGHT, BATTLEFRONT, ROGUE SQUADRON, NOT MMORPG KOTOR, TIE FIGHTER)

Lucasarts was always the most retardedly run company in the industry. They had the easiest fucking job to please their fan base.

I agree with that. But to me, this Disney acquisition is like starting over from scratch with the retarded guys retarded cousin.

Erethian

Not fake, but by their own admission it was a prototype of the sort of game they were planning to make. With heavy involvement from ILM. So the end product was never going to look as good as that even if the game was created.

Incidentally the same thing happened with an Indiana Jones game a while back, where Lucasarts touted heavy ILM involvement in its development and talked up its animation and physics systems. And the problem with that (and 1313) is there is always a gulf between what you can deliver in a highly controlled and tailored slice of gameplay, especially if you funnel a lot of resources into that slice, and what is actually viable for a fully featured game.

jaypah

Vertical slice? But really, I heard the same thing rumored about Prey 2. Not from an insider or anything, might have been here or the bombcast.

Vertical slice? But really, I heard the same thing rumored about Prey 2. Not from an insider or anything, might have been here or the bombcast.

There was that leaked in-game walkthrough, but considering the relative scope of the game it could've easily needed at least those 2 years.

Woorloog

Banned

:( :( :(

Seriously. Star Wars is such a rich franchise, world, universe... and they wasted it.
I never played Rebellion but i've heard great things about it.
Jedi Knight was excellent series. Force Unleashed was good but its sequel was horrible, and it wasn't Jedi Knight.
And X-Wing series... why the fuck didn't they make a new Star Wars space sim?

majik13

It was confirmed last October that there wasn't a solid concept or story for 1313 at the E3 reveal. It was mostly this one polished level they showed off with nice lighting and cover mechanics, but it was basically a tiny prototype of a game that was in the infancy of game development.

I think that is how most games are made, you make 1 solid level, as a prototype or concept. No other levels exists.

Thats why sometimes games that seem complete when first shown, end up taking forever to actually release,
when in actuality, we saw pretty much everything there was, nothing else solid existed in game outside the 1 level/section reveal.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Not a surprise there. If what we saw was everything that was produced, that was a very thin vertical slice.

Neo C.

I'm more surprised it doesn't take longer. Do you think you can get this kind of production in less time? Really?

Yeah like with Assasins Creed.
The tech is already made all they need to do is just make a new setting and characters.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
They could've had 3 years if they hadn't wasted it on Star Wars Kinect, lol...still somewhat sad to see them go though.
Lucas didn't really do anything on Star Wars Kinect—it was an externally developed title. Only a small number of LA staff contributed.

demolitio

Can I read the thread title as: "Avalanche Studios founder says Star Wars: Battlefront 3 needs only 2 months until it's finished"?

:(

Fabrik

Banned
Not surprising at all. I have a feeling worthwhile games on next-gen consoles are going to be few and far between.

I'm only sad for the staff and sad at the prospect of Disney not valuing some of their lesser known gaming property. Their recent output has not lived up to their historic highs. I hope all my fears are unfounded. I hope everyone gets a job, and that the properties are given new life..

This - last good games from SW world were KOTORs and Academy and those were all outsourced.

mclem

I think that is how most games are made, you make 1 solid level, as a prototype or concept. No other levels exists.

We did that a lot when pitching projects at prospective publishers; I've worked on a good four or five prototypes of games that we waved at publishers trying to get them to sign on.

I do wonder, then, what the showing we saw was *for*, given it inherently had a publisher, and there was no need to try to sell the game to the *consumer* yet. Why do the E3 showing at all?

8bit

Knows the Score
Star Wars 1315

Perhaps this is a mercy killing, Temple Run Coruscant would probably make more money anyway.

Top Bottom