• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avalanche Studios next title is a Roguelike game called “Ravenbound”

KyoZz

Gold Member
The game is currently named Jackdaw, but it's understood that this is the codename of the project, with the final game being titled Ravenbound: Tales of Avalt

• The game is currently named Jackdaw, but it’s understood that this is the codename of the project, with the final game being titled Ravenbound: Tales of Avalt.
  • Ravenbound puts the player in the medieval-esque fictional world of Avalt as a “Vessel of the Raven”, where the player must free the world from enemies who have invaded the lands.
  • The player can transform into a raven to view the world from the perspective of a bird, which appears to be almost identical to Senu from Assassin’s Creed. As a raven, you can spot enemies down below to gauge their numbers and difficulty
  • If the player dies, the player must begin a new game and select one of three “Vessels” to start again. Each vessel has different abilities and weapons that are tied to them, which are indicated by three trait cards’ culture trait card, weapon train card, and unique trait card.
  • New cards for each train can be bought and upgraded by using coins from looted crates in enemy settlements. Leveling up in the game will also grant the player a new card to add to their vessel to make them stronger.
  • Sources have indicated that the game will have some form of season content structure where new quests, enemies, and rewards will come to the game each month. This does suggest that Ravenbound is very much a live service.
When asked more about the game, Shaun Weber said “I would describe the game as kinda like Dead cells but open-world”.
It’s unclear when Ravenbound: Tales of Avalt will be revealed, but Weber had indicated that the game seems to be in a good state of development. So presumably, we could see the game in the very near future.
In June 2021, Avalanche Studios announced that it was working on a new open-world co-op game coming to Xbox Game Pass. Details on the game are slim, with the studio only providing small snippets of information via a short teaser trailer during last year’s Xbox & Bethesda showcase.

In a follow-up tweet after the announcement, Microsoft’s Aaron Greenberg said that the game is set in the 1970s in a fictional country called Bayan. Last week, Microsoft also filed new trademarks for Contraband.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
So not Mad Max 2 or Rage 3 or hell, how about putting all resources into Generation One maybe? No, lets make one of those fantasy rogulikes with cards everyone in the basement is making. Avalanche can always make fun open worlds, if you ignore the horrid, ass writing team, but that shit squad must also be making the business decisions.

Boss Mog

Just Cause 5 is also in development so the studio has a lot on its plate right now (obviously split across various sub-studios and teams), hopefully all the games will turn out great.

adamsapple

Gold Member
So they're working on this, contraband AND a new Just Cause ?

They've surely become a much bigger studio than I realized.

Dr.Morris79

Just Cause 5 is also in development so the studio has a lot on its plate right now (obviously split across various sub-studios and teams), hopefully all the games will turn out great.
Personally hoping Just Cause 5 is nothing like 4, it was truly awful.

TurnOneYeti

"If the player dies, the player must begin a new game and select one of three “Vessels” to start again. Each vessel has different abilities and weapons that are tied to them, which are indicated by three trait cards’ culture trait card, weapon train card, and unique trait card."

Sounds like Rogue Legacy. Regardless. Love me some Roguelikes.

Ristifer

Really wish devs would can these generic subtitles. Just call it Ravenbound. Tales of Avalt sounds like a mobile title.

Either way, I'd much rather have Mad Max 2. But they're a talented studio, so I'm sure it'll be worth checking out.

Jennings

Really wish devs would can these generic subtitles. Just call it Ravenbound. Tales of Avalt sounds like a mobile title.

Either way, I'd much rather have Mad Max 2. But they're a talented studio, so I'm sure it'll be worth checking out.
I do wish they'd at least put the title up to a vote. Surely the internet could come up with something better.

Roguey McRogueface

Top Bottom