• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar’ Starts Production Today; $1 Billion Budget

DeathyBoy

Banned
Lol, you have a lot of faith that people didn't lose enthusiasm since the first movie. Good luck with that I guess.

Like people lost enthusiasm after Titanic?

The King didn't make a film for a decade post Titanic. And he made a billion plus. I think it's fair to say you don't bet against Cameron.

snap

Banned
So.... do we think Avatar 2 or Avatar 4 will be the first movie to break $3 billion?

depends on inflation. the 3D craze is bust and I don't see it making much of a resurgence for the Avatar movies if even the IMAX CEO is saying they want to move away from it, and that was the thing that pushed the first Avatar to the top of the list.

Of course we've got more "Avatar isn't remembered". Remembered or not, if Cameron can find way some real way to sell Avatar 2, then people will probably show-up in droves. That depends on what happens though, but I'd never sell the guy short.

How heartbreaking would it be if Sam Worthington was killed off in the first sequel?

That's what I'm hoping

Don't get your hopes up, I'd imagine.

Kyoufu

This is a good reminder that I should watch Avatar. Hopefully it's still good/great in 2D because I can't see 3D.

I mean, the action is better. Like, unquestionably.

T2 is a better overall move though.

Oh my god.
I think you'll find yourself in the minority on putting Apes' action over T2, but I'm definitely curious to hear your thoughts on why.

Also, why the surprise? Those Apes movies live and die in their incredible performance captured performances - made possible by Avatar.

GhaleonEB

I question it. It's a different kind of action, but I'd argue no, not at all. Cameron is a master of setup/payoff action and juggling many elements that come together with great clarity, and that's in peak form in T2. I also don't think you can strip context from the action and compare it as a stand alone element in a film. T2's action has emotional resonance that John Wick never attempts.

I saw T2 in a theater just a couple weeks ago, and the action is on a whole other level. John Wick is stylish and tightly edited, but I wouldn't put any of its action over T2. Though again, gun-fu is rather different from what Cameron does.

jett

D-Member

T2 is better in every single way than John Wick. By a wide margin. Jesuschrist.

Oh my god.

What? He's completely correct. All those behind the scenes videos you've seen of actors walking around a mocap set with a camera coming out of their headsets pointing directly at their faces? Avatar did that first.

Fern Gully

Pocahontas

ferngully

Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas, and Fern Gully

Fern Gully?

pocahontas

Pocahontas

It's been 8 years since 2009 and ya'll still haven't thought of a 4th movie to lazily drop the name of to let everyone in the room know how creative and original you are.

And I didn't quote it, but someone also mentioned Smurfs, so that's covered too. Gimmick this, cultural relevance that. We've got a complete Avatar thread here.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think you'll find yourself in the minority on putting Apes' action over T2, but I'm definitely curious to hear your thoughts on why

Sculli, I'm worried about you. You're forgetting your own posts right after you post them.

You said John Wick's action, not Apes.

jett

D-Member
It's been 8 years since 2009 and ya'll still haven't thought of a 4th movie to lazily drop the name of to let everyone in the room know how creative and original you are.

And I didn't quote it, but someone also mentioned Smurfs, so that's covered too. Gimmick this, cultural relevance that. We've got a complete Avatar thread here.

The Last Samurai...in SPAAAAACE

Last Ang Lee movie was High Refresh rate as well and flopped. This is not something people care about.

His movie was a 120fps experiment that only six theaters in the entire world could support.

Sculli, I'm worried about you. You're forgetting your own posts right after you post them.

You said John Wick's action, not Apes.
Feel free to sub in John Wick and still find me perplexed. I want to know why you think Wick's action is better than T2's. It fascinates me in a way only Nietzsche can describe.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Feel free to sub in John Wick and still find me perplexed. I want to know why you think Wick's action is better than T2's. It fascinates me in a way only Nietzsche can describe.

Rewatching T2 a few months back, I think the action has become a bit dated. Still one of the all time great blockbusters but once I put nostalgia aside, I think it's been topped in terms of set pieces and fight choreography. John Wick is certainly one of the movies I would put above it in that category now.

But again, overall, of course T2 is a better film.

Just because the choreography is flashy don't make the action better. The sequences in T2 are more hard hitting than anything in either John Wick movie. Plus it had genuine tension behind it all, such as that scene with the truck chasing down john Connor

CassSept

So you're saying this thread has as much original thought put into it as Avatar's script

llien

250 million per movie with a director of this caliber, considering his previous movie from this franchise scored 2.8 billion USD, isn't all that extraordinary.

First Avatar cost estimated 237 million USD, so, really, no big deal.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
a hot take would be a quick kneejerk reaction to something before reading into it or understanding the background

this is a genuine informed opinion

You think you know action and you haven't even seen Aliens. Dunning-Kruger is real AF.

Saya

Is there an Avatar thread bingo card anywhere? We need one.

Fern Gully
Pocahontas
Dances With Wolves in Space
No pop culture relevance
It's a 3D gimmick
"Nobody talks about Avatar" (except there are threads about it every month on Neogaf)

every Avatar thread.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
So he's gonna do 5 Avatar movies but we only got 2 Terminators and one Aliens out of him.

Shame. Love JC but just don't care about Avatar at all.

AndyVirus

I imagine Cameron retiring after this. God knows what this shoot will take out of him. I certainly understand him wanting to do an Avatar 2, maybe even 3, but 4 and 5 is just excessive.

At this point we're just pulling box office numbers out our ass but it'll be fascinating to see how it fares in China alone.

I liked Avatar. It was an entertaining film. Not great, nowhere near Cameron's best, but I am in for a sequel.

It does feel like making so many sequels is a waste of Cameron's last few years as a director, though. I'd rather see him work on something different.

Caeron quote from a while back.

It’s not back-to-back. It’s really all one big production. It’s more the way you would shoot a miniseries. So we’ll be shooting across all [Avatar scripts] simultaneously. So Monday I might be doing a scene from Movie Four, and Tuesday I’m doing a scene from Movie One. … We’re working across, essentially, eight hours of story. It’s going to be a big challenge to keep it all fixed in our minds, exactly where we are, across that story arc at any given point. It’s going to be probably the most challenging thing I’ve ever done. I’m sure the actors will be challenged by that as well. It’s like, ‘No, no, no, no, this person hasn’t died yet, so you’re still in this phase of your life.’ It’s a saga.

He's a mad man.

Thanks Cameron... you've only just started shooting and you're dropping spoilers already

Spuck-uk

Banned
First film really wasn't that great, why do they think people want four sequels?

Gonna be The Hobbit series all over again

I haven't seen the original, but wasn't a lot of the hype at the time tied to it being 3D?

Pretty much, right at the peak of the 3D fad, it was like Cameron actually invented 3D even. Everyone wanted to go just to see how well it was used and the beautiful visuals.

He must have dreamed a lot about Pandora lately if he can fill four films with it. Holy crap.
Before he brought in the four other writers to work on the four sequels, he wrote a 1500 page story document for what happens.
Cause the first thing I did was sat for a year and wrote 1500 pages of notes of the world and the cultures and the different clans and different animals and different biomes and so on. And had a lot of loose thematic stuff that ran through that but I didn’t a concrete story. I wanted to approach it more like, “Guys we’re going to adapt a novel or series of novels.” Because I felt that kind of detail, even if movies can’t ever be that detailed – it can be visually detailed, it can’t be that detailed in terms of character and culture. But you always get this tip of the iceberg kind of thing. You sense it’s there off camera or in the past of the moment that you’re seeing. So I felt that was the way to do it.

is this a 90s kid vs millenial thing

because you can find much better action even within the last few years
90's kids are millenials. Like the epitome of millenials.

and yes I know you're talking about people that were kids in the 90's and yes they are millenials.

Wait, why is Avatar getting credit for performance capture when I saw it first with Heavenly Sword and Uncharted???

This is not a "thanks to Avatar" situation. It's just simply "thanks to new tech".

Top Bottom