• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar’ Starts Production Today; $1 Billion Budget

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Virtual Reality?

I'm serious by the way. Gantz:O did something similar but it was a promotion. A whole movie made for VR would be $1 billion well spent.

mwTegV1.png

Damn.... If he did this.... and the movie was at least generally good like last time, I'd be a repeat viewer like last time again.

Am I part of the problem?

Day 1 for all 4

Can't wait for the mega ultra 4k HDR whatever release

I'm guessing each one will reach minimum 800 million, the first one will be 1 billion Plus easy

DrLazy

Can they spend money to buy a writer? The first avatar is easily forgotten because the story was soooo formulaic. Zzzzz

cameron is gonna come out and say "8k resolution at 48fps with visuals that make avatar 1 look like a playstation 1" so no need for marketing pushes
He originally said he was going to film at 60fps (unlike Hobbit’s 48fps), but I’m not sure if he’d still do that after what happened with The Hobbit. Of course, a big problem with The Hobbit was it had no preproduction, which means everything was rushed, and the 48fps really highlighted all of the little flaws. These Avatar movies have been pre-produced to hell and back, so if he had been prepping for it I think Cameron could do an amazing high-framerate movie.

Dhx

jett

D-Member
Can they spend money to buy a writer? The first avatar is easily forgotten because the story was soooo formulaic. Zzzzz

So forgettable it affected you deeply enough to write this nonsense.

In case you actually wanted to know, Cameron has been working with a team of four screenwriters for the last few years on four different scripts for the entire project.

Veitsev

Going to laugh my ass off when each of these films makes more than a billion dollars WW and GAF still insists the public has forgotten the franchise.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
So should i Hold off buying a TV until these films come out? Last time Avatar came out it was all about that 3D TV.

The current best TVs, Sony's 4K SXRD projectors, have 3D.

Each of the four films will gross over $1B WW.

And many will claim that is a flop of epic proportions since the original did close to $2.8b on its own.

$1b each would still be a huge success, but you know that is how it will be spun.

Of course, the sequel could do half the worldwide gross of the first one and still be in the top 10 all time grossers.

We now expect Cameron to just curb stomp everything in his path.

Exis

Funny enough I watched Avatar last week as I am going to Disney world and was trying to figure out if I should go to the Pandora stuff they built.
Really there is some great visuals in the movie, but it is a bit lacking I will watch them I suppose but it did not come off as timeless.

jett

D-Member
Going to laugh my ass off when each of these films makes more than a billion dollars WW and GAF still insists the public has forgotten the franchise.

There won't be enough salt mines in the world to contain GAF's excess production.

GAF is never been known for making great predictions. Say what you want but James Cameron is one of the best directos of all time. Avatar was so long ago that a new one will make a big impact I bet it will break records in China. Will see in 2020.

I have said it multiple times in the box office threads, but I want to see how Cameron responds after Fury Road.
George Miller was an influence on Cameron, and to have Miller come along and shame just about every other action film in existence with Fury Road might have lit a fire under Cameron's ass. I like thinking that Cameron is like, "Oh, you want to go there, huh? I will show you. I will show them all!"

Jacob

Anybody really excited for Avatar sequels almost 10 years after the 1st one?

I'm looking forward to them, yeah. I really enjoyed Avatar as an action/adventure movie and for the visuals/worldbuilding. The story of the first film was nothing exceptional but I don't think it's garbage-tier either. Wasn't thrilled by Cameron's recents comments about the villain(s) for the four sequels, but I'm curious to see how it works in execution.

Veitsev

Anybody really excited for Avatar sequels almost 10 years after the 1st one?

Anyone really excited for a Jurassic Park sequel 14 years after the last one?

*Jurassic World takes home 1.6B WW*

Anyone really excited for a Star Wars sequel 10 years after the last one?

*Force Awakens takes home 2B WW and is the highest grossing US film of all time*

Anyone really excited for a live action Beauty and the Beast remake 26 years after the last one?

*Beauty and the Beast takes home 1.26B WW*

Anyone really excited for a Toy Story sequel 11 years after the last one?

*Toy Story 3 takes home 1B WW*

Anyone really interested in a Finding Nemo sequel 13 years after the last one?

*Finding Dory takes home 1B WW*

Anyone really interested in a LOTR prequel trilogy 9 years after the last one

*Each Hobbit film makes 2.9B WW*

Jigorath

Banned
Each of the four films will gross over $1B WW.

I'm not sure about the next 3. The series could pull a Jurassic Park and decline heavily with each sequel.

*Force Awakens takes home 2B WW and is the highest grossing film of all time*

Anyone really excited for a live action Beauty and the Beast remake 26 years after the last one?

Nobody said any of this.

I'm not sure about the next 3. The series could pull a Jurassic Park and decline heavily with each sequel.

Either way, the first sequel will cover most of the cost of the whole series.
JP2 broke records on release. Being crap killed its legs.

That too. It is the only film I can remember swearing at the screen when it finished because of how shit it was compared to the book.

The forgotten movie whose sequels would be considered financial failures if they only made the same amount as the highest grossing MCU movies. Incredible.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Anyone really excited for a Jurassic Park sequel 14 years after the last one?

*Jurassic World takes home 1.6B WW*

*Force Awakens takes home 2B WW and is the highest grossing film of all time*

Is there a single human being alive that would put Avatar in the same category as any of these movies? Y’know, movies that actually had an impact on pop culture?

Is there a single human being alive that would put Avatar in the same category as any of these movies? Y'know, movies that actually had an impact on pop culture?

Yet, here we are, still talking about Avatar almost 8 years later.

Yeah that's fair.

Cameron could always hit a home run with Avatar 2. He has a great track record with sequels.

Yup. His sequel game is exceptionally strong. But this will be the first time we see him go past a second entry.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Finding Nemo had an impact on pop culture?

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Is there a single human being alive that would put Avatar in the same category as any of these movies? Y’know, movies that actually had an impact on pop culture?

Every film James Cameron has done has had an impact on pop culture, because James Cameron touches people like no other because James Cameron, is James Cameron.

Top Bottom