• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar 2, 3, 4 production suspended.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Producer Jon Landau told the New Zealand Herald, “We’ve delayed it. We had plans to come down Friday night with a group of people and start back up and we made the decision to hold off and continue working here [Los Angeles], and come down there a little bit later than we’d planned.”

Its a smart move to be cautious of course, but LOL this shit is never coming out.

tenor.gif

Aggelos

Shit means we’re not gonna get Abyss blu-ray this decade then.

We didn't get it, when the world was still a safe place to live in.
Now with the Corona Virus outbreak and all its madness that it has wreaked (myriad of cancellations, lock-downs, curfews, borders closing and whatnot) and probably will continue to wreak havoc-madness, I don't think we'll ever gonna get an Abyss BD 4K HDR...

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
These movies have been in production for how many decades now?

I thought Avatar 2 was close to release.. wasn't it releasing this year??

A2 was supposed to be out in 2014, with a third film out a year or two after.

It was revealed that Cameron barely began writing in 2013, so Fox delayed it to December 2016.

It was revealed that Cameron actually wanted four sequels instead of two, and he wanted to film them 2 or 3 at a time, so Fox delayed it to 2018.

It was revealed by Sigourney Weaver that filming had not even started in 2016, so Fox delayed it to 2020.

Then the Disney purchase happens, so Disney delayed it to 2021 as part of their schedule shakeup to accommodate room & resources for Star Wars and MCU films as necessary.

And now...

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Delivering one movie is hard enough so my expectations for any other Avatar movie are very low.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this is cosmic justice tbh.

we don't need any more Luxury Guilt Cinema. why not spend that money looking for a cure or trying to help people? James Cameron and the Hollywood Elite have done more damage to the Earth than any of us, it isn't just that they get to make a career out of pretending to give a shit, all while hoarding tons of money and resources.

shut it all down. the Earth will thank us.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Is this like the only work Sam Worthington is doing now ? He burst on the scene was in nearly everything now I haven’t seen him in anything else. Ok yeh I don’t watch all movies. I’m gonna check out his page.

Ok he still in the game.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I remember the insane amounts of hype around the Avatar movie. And then I remember actually watching it.

I bet they are stalling on these movies until the overall cinematic and technological landscape changes so much that they can try to get the hype up to Avatar 1 levels. Avatar 1 rode in on the coattails of what Cameron achieved with CGI in Titanic. Maybe Avatar 2 will ride the wave of some new form of visual effects based in VR? I don’t really see a point to continuing the Avatar brand unless they can do that.

About 20 minutes ago I literally just stepped on broken glass and cut my foot, blood all over the floor.

No band-aids at the house so I had to use guaze pads with tape.

I imagine going through five Avatar movies must feel similar to that.

llien

I liked Avatar quite a bit.
From Cameron's sci-fi which make scientific sense and his interest to details to likable charismatic characters and great visuals.

I liked Avatar well enough except for two things:

1. Sam Worthington is kind of boring and doesn't emote much, making the romance seem implausible
2. The evil general dude was kind of over-the-top/ridiculous in the latter parts of the movie (maybe because by that point he was only 10% human and 90% CGI, surrounded by CGI vehicles and props, making the character difficult to film)

Last edited:
One additional thing bothered me later on after I had seen the movie:

Nearly all of the animals have 6 limbs, but the Na'vi only have 4. How does a 4 limbed species evolve from a 6 limbed species? They never explained that AFAIK.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
And at this point in time it's going to require a lot of effort to see it as intended. Is PSVR the only currently supported way to watch 3D Blu Rays?

I don't think I've seen it either. I have a 3D capable set and my PS3 is plugged in. I wonder if I should hunt down the BR and watch it.

At least we got the Avatar ride in WDW out of this, that thing is amazing.

Avatar certainly does not have the most original story but I really like it, nevertheless. Have watched the extended edition Blu-ray many, many times. There's just something that appeals to me, which could be the general idea or the setting or the cast or the pace/editing of the movie...

Cautiously looking forward to the sequels.

Last edited:
Despite the 3D and technology, it's one of the least memorable movies I've ever seen.

One thing I can't forget due to the maximum cringe was the main cat female having a crying fit over something. She was trying to make it sound crude and beastlike but it just came off sounding ridiculous lol.

One additional thing bothered me later on after I had seen the movie:

Nearly all of the animals have 6 limbs, but the Na'vi only have 4. How does a 4 limbed species evolve from a 6 limbed species? They never explained that AFAIK.

Cameron said it was intentional. I'm sure it will be explained in the sequels.
The original script had some weird shit like no diseases working on Pandora. My bet is the sequels will have ancient civilizations seeding life in the universe, with Eywa being something like the Tet from Oblivion.

nush

I don't think I've seen it either. I have a 3D capable set and my PS3 is plugged in. I wonder if I should hunt down the BR and watch it.

Might as well if you've got the kit to watch it as intended. Was one of the best selling BDs so finding a copy wont be hard.

Top Bottom